Can Cows and LEmmings Agree Wii is Only WInning cuz OF it's $250 PRice Tag

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

manystylez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 manystylez
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
I mean really slap a $250 price tag on the ps3 and Xbox 360 and the wii will be least place
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I mean really slap a $250 price tag on the ps3 and Xbox 360 and the wii will be least placemanystylez

Yes I agree, the price is one of the biggest attraction for potential consumers.

Also you gotta give the Wiimote some credit too.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Not the only reason. It appeals to casuals with its easy to play games and very inviting party games.
SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

No, I don't agree, it isn't the price tag that is making it sell.

It is all the casual games using the wiimote motion technology. For example all the mini-game games. Like a console version of pogo.com

manystylez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 manystylez

[QUOTE="manystylez"]I mean really slap a $250 price tag on the ps3 and Xbox 360 and the wii will be least placeReverseCycology

Yes I agree, the price is one of the biggest attraction for potential consumers.

Yea i give it's wiimote some credit but the biggest is the price tag

manystylez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 manystylez
I mean it's a kiddy console lmao.. really it was meant for little kids... imagine if you are a parent and your kid wants a console they will look at ps3 $400-$600 price tag, Xbox 360 300-480 price tag compared to 250 dollars obvious choice is wii
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

Main reason the Wii sells like hot cakes:

1. $250

2. Wiimote

3. Mario

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
The price is a factor to many people I'm sure... having said that I have a sneaking suspicion that even if Wii had been $500 since launch, they would still be sold out everywhere and still occupy the number one hardware sales slot by virtue of the novelty controller and some slick first-party software...
Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

I mean really slap a $250 price tag on the ps3 and Xbox 360 and the wii will be least placemanystylez

Yeah and it has a huge appeal to non and very casual gamers (wii fit, wii sport and others)

ultima-flare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 ultima-flare
Member since 2003 • 2259 Posts
I wouldn't say its the only thing, but it is the biggest factor imo. If Wii was $400, it would be selling worse than Ps3.
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Ask yourself this: would the Wii attracts all thoses casuals if it had a normal controller? No. The wiimote is the biggest appeal.
VirtuaCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VirtuaCast
Member since 2008 • 840 Posts
No, the Wii attracts hardcore gamers and Casuals alike, I'm talking about people who never pick up a game pad. Yes price point plays a roll in all console but not as a whole reason of the great succes of the Wii.
Gimli524

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gimli524
Member since 2004 • 1527 Posts

http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=5428&refererid=GoogleProducts&gclid=CPHQz5OJ3JECFRciFQod6y4eeQ

Wii loosing yet?

That was very first website I clicked on btw.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

No, not anymore

There some high priced bundle packs that are selling out. Im talking about $500 + bundle packs that are selling out.

So its not the price anymore.

-Karmum-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Karmum-
Member since 2007 • 3775 Posts
A reason, not the biggest. It appeals to the casual type of gamer.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Slap a $250 price tag on a ps3/360 and they'll both be out of business. The Nintendo legacy/namesake, along with their superiority in innovation and $250 price tag sells consoles. The Wii is the only true "Next-Gen" console. The rest are just lastgen 1.5.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

Sorry but if the ps3/x360 is priced at $250 they will be failure because they would have worse graphics and worse technical prowess than the current power of these systems. Also, they would be bankrupt or lose a lot of money.

If price is the ONLY factor GC would have won last gen. Price is a factor but not the only reason why wii is winning in sales.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts

I mean it's a kiddy console lmao.. really it was meant for little kids... imagine if you are a parent and your kid wants a console they will look at ps3 $400-$600 price tag, Xbox 360 300-480 price tag compared to 250 dollars obvious choice is wiimanystylez

You know, I keep hearing this all the time, but the truth is that there is nothing 'kiddy' about Wii. The successful use of the Wiimote and nunchuk controller can get rather sophisticated at times - it is definately not geared towards kids. A traditional, dual-analog controller is much better suited to children than the Wiimote. Young children simply don't have the manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination required to successfully use a Wiimote. Sorry, but this whole 'Wii if for teh kiddiez!!1!!' argument fails... hard...

darkmario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darkmario123
Member since 2006 • 1156 Posts
If PS3/360 is $250, Wii would be $50. Wii will still win.
Abriael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Abriael
Member since 2006 • 131 Posts

It's very simple actually. Nintendo scattered their target so much that it covers all ages. That's why it sells more. They sell it to the 45 years old manager that uses the wii fit, and to the mom that works and can't be home taking care of their kids and wants to get "safe" games to babysit them.

Of course having a scattered target also brings disadvantages, like the fact that the Wii will never ever get as many third party developers as the other two consoles, because in the end the installed base is very large, but the part of that installed base that would buy a "normal" third party game, like a shooter or an rpg is still smaller than the other two consoles.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

[QUOTE="manystylez"]I mean really slap a $250 price tag on the ps3 and Xbox 360 and the wii will be least placeJacobistheman

Yeah and it has a huge appeal to non and very casual gamers (wii fit, wii sport and others)

To add on to my thought the wii is still a great gaming system but if it only appealed to casuals as much as the ps3 and 360 do it would be selling about as much as the ps3 and 360 are.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Yes the price, the control, and the demographic. Sony needs to wake up, the lead they had w/ the PS2, and they thought they could ask for a fortune. MS needs to learn from it's and Sony's mistakes, and Nintendo needs more appealing games for me to buy one. I just can't get into cute platformers or brawlers.
TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
The Wii isn't selling like hot cakes because its "just a fad". The Wii also isn't #1 just because it costs less than an iPod. The Wii is number one because its the only console that thats truely different from the rest. For goodness sake cant you guys get it through your heads. Nintendo realized that all the other platforms were all about hardcore gaming, shiny graphics and powerful chips. They also realized there are actually people in this world that like video games but dont want a bunch of violent and overly competitive FPS games and stuff like that. Nintendo didnt offer the customers an Xbox Arcade-like feature for the casuals and just push them aside afterwards. They made an entire console for them. This console was MADE for the casual gamer. You guys gotta realize that not everyone wants to run around chainsaw-killing and ripping people's heads off. Don't get mad at Nintendo for not satisfying your bloodlust for "elite AAA games" because Nintendo didnt make the console for you, they made it for those who dont have ultra-fast reflexes and cant play a game more advanced than Pong. Hell, thats why I respect Nintendo they made a smart move. Instead of trying to be PC-like like the other 2 consoles they did their own thing. Wii will be #1 for a very long time while Lemmings and Cows argue about which "hardcore" semi-PC is better.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
I agree and have been learned!
_koolgirl_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _koolgirl_
Member since 2006 • 713 Posts

I don't agree with this at all. The "arcade" version of 360 has a retail right now of $279, only $30 more than the Wii.

Wii is a success for a variety of reasons. One being great marketing. Nintendo set out with an intent to appeal to non gamers and they do a great job with marketing to that audience. Who has not seen the the "Wii would like to play" commercials? They show everything from young kids playing together to a Mom and kid to 4 seniors in bowling shirts playing Wii sports bowling. The commercials change the mindset that games are just for kids. The Wii is shown as a way for an adult to reconnect with their kid as well as an entertainment device for adults.

2. The games. While alot of the 3rd party stuff is what hardcore gamers call crap, it is exactly what appeals to these non gamer types. Easy to pick up and play games like Carnival games, Wii sports, EA Playground on and on and etc. While Nintendo still puts out their own AAA games like Mario Galaxy and Zelda that do appeal to the hardcore and longtime Nintendo fans.

3. The Wimote. It adds of layer of something new for old school gamers. An exciting new way to play. It also makes it very easy to pick up and play for the non gamers, the people who have been intimidated by the growing numbers of buttons, triggers etc on standard controllers. Especially in those simple games that don't even use the nunchuck. Just point the thing and hit a button.

4. It really is the best console for kids. I'm not calling it kiddy, it has it's share of mature titles but the system has far more "E" rated games, Barbie, Nickeloden, Disney etc games than any other next gen system on the market.

The low price point is just the icing on the cake.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts
no because even when PS3 and 360 lowered their price they could not overtake Wii sales.
Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts
Price tag didn't cause the gamecube to win so no. I think its the motion controls.
Popadophalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Popadophalis
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts

Price tag didn't cause the gamecube to win so no. I think its the motion controls.Kingpin0114

Spot on.

SpinoRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SpinoRaptor
Member since 2006 • 2419 Posts

Slap a $250 price tag on a ps3/360 and they'll both be out of business. The Nintendo legacy/namesake, along with their superiority in innovation and $250 price tag sells consoles. The Wii is the only true "Next-Gen" console. The rest are just lastgen 1.5.Staryoshi87

:lol:

Oh man that is sig worthy. Wii true next gen? pfft. Don't make laugh. Wii is the weakest of all 3 consoles. If anything I consider it last gen 0.25

Popadophalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Popadophalis
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts

[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]Slap a $250 price tag on a ps3/360 and they'll both be out of business. The Nintendo legacy/namesake, along with their superiority in innovation and $250 price tag sells consoles. The Wii is the only true "Next-Gen" console. The rest are just lastgen 1.5.SpinoRaptor

Oh man that is sig worthy. Wii true next gen? pfft. Don't make laugh. Wii is the weakest of all 3 consoles. If anything I consider it last gen 0.25

Hey even Will Wright called Wii the only true Next-gen console. Personally I think the whole " your console can't do HD so it's lastorz gen" argument is rubbish, *sigh* why can't people just call the 360, PS3 and Wii current-gen like they're supposed to.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts
if cows admit the ps3 is selling mainly because it's a cheap bluray player, heh.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
While the price certainly helps, I'd say its a minor factor. The wii is selling due to mass appeal.
jangojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jangojay
Member since 2007 • 4044 Posts

Or it could be because of the games? I'm sure even if the Wii was priced at the same of the X360 core it would still outsell both consoles.

Remember the people that are buying the Wii aren't typical gamers..

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cyber-

Or it could be because of the games? I'm sure even if the Wii was priced at the same of the X360 core it would still outsell both consoles.

Remember the people that are buying the Wii aren't typical gamers..

jangojay

well there are more new gamers buying it than buy other systems but its not a huge majority on Wii.

-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts
Can we all agree to stop useing "Cows" and "Lemmings" to label people. It's getting old.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cyber-

Can we all agree to stop useing "Cows" and "Lemmings" to label people. It's getting old. -Master_St3ve-

or sheep for that matter

I never use those anyway

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
It sells well because its demographic is much larger. You could say that Sony and MS try to sell to 10 people while Nintendo trys to sell to 100. Who is gonna sell more with that math? The person who targets 100.
PCgamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PCgamingLife
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
My cell phone does more than the Wii and has better graphics
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#41 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
I agree.
black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts
I still find it amzing the Wii is able to sell like it is with only a Handful of quality games that arent Shovelware crap.
Bdking57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bdking57
Member since 2005 • 1320 Posts

I agree that wii is winning due to the grandma effect

[QUOTE="manystylez"]I mean really slap a $250 price tag on the ps3 and Xbox 360 and the wii will be least placeReverseCycology

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cyber-

I still find it amzing the Wii is able to sell like it is with only a Handful of quality games that arent Shovelware crap.black_awpN1

thats bs

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I still find it amzing the Wii is able to sell like it is with only a Handful of quality games that arent Shovelware crap.Cyber-

thats bs

Name me ten Top Quality Wii game that scored 8.0 or higher here.

blizzardmist88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blizzardmist88
Member since 2005 • 210 Posts
I agree the $250 price tag is probably one of the most important key parts to the Wii becoming the success it is right now.
mis3ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mis3ry
Member since 2004 • 5664 Posts
Just like the GameCube won last gen. Oh wait.
mis3ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mis3ry
Member since 2004 • 5664 Posts

[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]Slap a $250 price tag on a ps3/360 and they'll both be out of business. The Nintendo legacy/namesake, along with their superiority in innovation and $250 price tag sells consoles. The Wii is the only true "Next-Gen" console. The rest are just lastgen 1.5.SpinoRaptor

Since when does power define if a console is next-gen?
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Cyber-
[QUOTE="Cyber-"]

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I still find it amzing the Wii is able to sell like it is with only a Handful of quality games that arent Shovelware crap.black_awpN1

thats bs

Name me ten Top Quality Wii game that scored 8.5 or higher here.

ya ill be sure to do that when this site stops that small issue of favoring the 360 beyond insanity.