Bungie Answers Critics And Fans About ViDoc

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

This is only a few of the more "relevant to SW" paragrapghs.  This is the whole article.

"You also saw some concepts, placeholders, prototypes and things that were never planned for inclusion in the final game. You saw some fake and placeholder and ancient UI (my favorite thing was a fan video where they thought they'd discovered how many campaign levels were going to be in the final game.) and loads of other accidental red herrings."

"So, almost all of the reaction we read was positive, but there was some grumbling about the graphics. You can decide for yourself if you like the look of the game in a few weeks, and you'll certainly recognize moments and areas from that footage. All three levels however, have undergone significant improvements since that footage was taken, months ago, including lighting, decorators, textures, and my favorite - water effects. I don't want to overpromise here and set your expectations too high, so I am deliberately capping the type of language I use to discuss these improvements. A good example however, would be the water in Valhalla."

"In one moment of the Vidoc, we see a Spartan launch out of the Mancannon and meet a sorry, embarrassing end in mid air as a sniper uses him for target practice. Now in that footage from old build, he tumbles into the river and slides splash-lessly into a boring placeholder water effect. He won't do that in May. He'll do something neater."

"I read many mails and posts about how Bubble Shields would littler the landscape like an Igloo village. Well, they won't. A piece of equipment will be a rare and valuable find. It will be located, you will pick it up and you will choose when and where to deploy it. As you can see in the HUD, it's indicated that you're carrying it. Pressing X will drop it - not throw it."

"In the old alpha footage you're watching, the shield generator actually rolled downhill and the player protected inside it had to walk backwards with it to enjoy its shelter. In the beta, it won't roll. We're still playing around with things like that. It's also possible to simply walk inside the shield and fight the inhabitant. It only protects them from explosions and projectiles. Vehicles and people can wander right through. If you die without deploying it, you'll drop it, just like a gun or 'nades. Someone else can then pick it up and use it."

"In the Beta build, it has a short-ish lifespan and in fact, can be destroyed. You stand inside the bubble and shoot the generator til' it explodes. Usually, there will be just one available on a map at any given time. Same thing goes for the tripmine, and any other equipment items we may or may not include in the game. Rest assured, they are incredibly fun to use, and add a subtle layer of strategy, without fundamentally impacting any of the typical Halo "flow." In fact, it improves it. There. I said it."

"Folks spotted other things in the Vidoc too. A new weapon. I saw it referred to as the "chain gun" but I ain't talking. Although I will tell you that no, you can't pull the chaingun off the back of a Hog." :(

Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Felous1
Member since 2006 • 4557 Posts
I don't know why people thought it was from the WarHog. It was clearly a new weapon.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

Why the " :( "? That doesn't sound that bad to me. I thought everyone new they were talking about a weapon anyway, or at least assumed that.

Anyway, all very exciting. Hope they make a big splash at E3. Not big enough to take much attention of GTAIV though!

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#4 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts

This is only a few of the more "relevant to SW" paragrapghs. This is the whole article.

"You also saw some concepts, placeholders, prototypes and things that were never planned for inclusion in the final game. You saw some fake and placeholder and ancient UI (my favorite thing was a fan video where they thought they'd discovered how many campaign levels were going to be in the final game.) and loads of other accidental red herrings."

"So, almost all of the reaction we read was positive, but there was some grumbling about the graphics. You can decide for yourself if you like the look of the game in a few weeks, and you'll certainly recognize moments and areas from that footage. All three levels however, have undergone significant improvements since that footage was taken, months ago, including lighting, decorators, textures, and my favorite - water effects. I don't want to overpromise here and set your expectations too high, so I am deliberately capping the type of language I use to discuss these improvements. A good example however, would be the water in Valhalla."

"In one moment of the Vidoc, we see a Spartan launch out of the Mancannon and meet a sorry, embarrassing end in mid air as a sniper uses him for target practice. Now in that footage from old build, he tumbles into the river and slides splash-lessly into a boring placeholder water effect. He won't do that in May. He'll do something neater."

"I read many mails and posts about how Bubble Shields would littler the landscape like an Igloo village. Well, they won't. A piece of equipment will be a rare and valuable find. It will be located, you will pick it up and you will choose when and where to deploy it. As you can see in the HUD, it's indicated that you're carrying it. Pressing X will drop it - not throw it."

"In the old alpha footage you're watching, the shield generator actually rolled downhill and the player protected inside it had to walk backwards with it to enjoy its shelter. In the beta, it won't roll. We're still playing around with things like that. It's also possible to simply walk inside the shield and fight the inhabitant. It only protects them from explosions and projectiles. Vehicles and people can wander right through. If you die without deploying it, you'll drop it, just like a gun or 'nades. Someone else can then pick it up and use it."

"In the Beta build, it has a short-ish lifespan and in fact, can be destroyed. You stand inside the bubble and shoot the generator til' it explodes. Usually, there will be just one available on a map at any given time. Same thing goes for the tripmine, and any other equipment items we may or may not include in the game. Rest assured, they are incredibly fun to use, and add a subtle layer of strategy, without fundamentally impacting any of the typical Halo "flow." In fact, it improves it. There. I said it."

"Folks spotted other things in the Vidoc too. A new weapon. I saw it referred to as the "chain gun" but I ain't talking. Although I will tell you that no, you can't pull the chaingun off the back of a Hog." :(

Spartan070

We shall see. Just wait for the beta. Either the lemmings or the cows will be owned. It's all speculation from this point. 

samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts
I think we all know that the game will look fantastic in the end.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Spartan070

Why the " :( "? That doesn't sound that bad to me. I thought everyone new they were talking about a weapon anyway, or at least assumed that.

the-very-best

I dunno, I guess it would be cool to jack a Wart-hog from behind, rip off his chain-gun and cap him down with it while he drives frantically to avoid your lethal maelstorm of lead!!!:twisted:.....oh well.:(

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#7 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts
you can't pull the chain gun from the hog... but there will probably be one on the ground. there's no way around it, that new gun was obviously a chain gun.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spartan070
you can't pull the chain gun from the hog... but there will probably be one on the ground. there's no way around it, that new gun was obviously a chain gun.FlawlessSeasons
Yeah they said "they ain't talkin'."  It's surely a new gun, probably less powerful and less accurate than the M41 LAAG but still far more powerful than any of the other hand-held weapons.  Will be interesting, especially for mid-sized map flag defense.
bobby_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bobby_king
Member since 2003 • 2122 Posts
I think you can use it after a Hog has been destoryed.
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dgsag

I think you can use it after a Hog has been destoryed.bobby_king

I doubt it, considering how twisted and wrecked the chaingun is when the warthog explodes in Halo 2, and what I've seen, Halo 3.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

[QUOTE="bobby_king"]I think you can use it after a Hog has been destoryed.dgsag

I doubt it, considering how twisted and wrecked the chaingun is when the warthog explodes in Halo 2, and what I've seen, Halo 3.

Just look at what happened to the Hog after it was blown up by the Tripmine.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spartan070
[QUOTE="dgsag"]

[QUOTE="bobby_king"]I think you can use it after a Hog has been destoryed.Bansheesdie

Just look at what happened to the Hog after it was blown up by the Tripmine.

Yeah that thing was toast.:lol:
LiquidMetal14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LiquidMetal14
Member since 2003 • 8196 Posts
Why is this even being argued. We know it's going to look great, it's a next gen game.
Timesplitter14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Timesplitter14
Member since 2006 • 5934 Posts
Let's just hope it'll end the series well
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Spartan070
Why is even being argued. We know it's going to look great, it's a next gen game.LiquidMetal14
No one is arguing, and not even half the article is about graphics anyway.
samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts

Let's just hope it'll end the series wellTimesplitter14

trilogies are always difficult to end(film)....maybe games are different.

HeHateMe_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HeHateMe_basic
Member since 2002 • 7161 Posts

Who cares what water looks like, if bungie wants to brag on water make it usefull in the game, make it where you can shoot a rocket into it and have the water splash on people hard enough to knock them down or lock up thier gun for a few seconds.  and make the warthog able to suck up water and spray it at high pressure to knock down people and objects.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dgsag

Who cares what water looks like, if bungie wants to brag on water make it usefull in the game, make it where you can shoot a rocket into it and have the water splash on people hard enough to knock them down or lock up thier gun for a few seconds. and make the warthog able to suck up water and spray it at high pressure to knock down people and objects.

HeHateMe_basic

That type of physics is not possible on the 360. Hell, even Crysis might not reach that level.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Spartan070

Who cares what water looks like, if bungie wants to brag on water make it usefull in the game, make it where you can shoot a rocket into it and have the water splash on people hard enough to knock them down or lock up thier gun for a few seconds.  and make the warthog able to suck up water and spray it at high pressure to knock down people and objects.

HeHateMe_basic

:lol:  That was a joke right?  Check back in a few years before even top end PC titles can do that.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Good to hear its improved, its release is around Crysis time right? We'l see which is the better, either way, PC will get both :D, maybe vice versa too.

Go Micro$oft!