Borderlands 3 crosses 5 million copies sold in its first five days, PC sales are "incredibly strong"

gtx021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gtx021
Member since 2013 • 515 Posts

Borderlands 3 sells extremely well out the gate, with 5 million copies sold-in in its first five days on the market.

-

Borderlands 3 is still fresh on the market and while Vault Hunters are already bathing in loot, the game has sold extremely well so far. According to a PR release from 2K (the parent company of Gearbox) Borderlands 3 has sold 5 million copies in its first five days. This put sales of the game 50% up compared to Borderlands 2 within the same amount of time.

Interestingly enough, 2K also notes that the digital share for the game was incredibly strong - over 70% of players purchased the game digitally. Sales of the PC version, which is available exclusively through the Epic Games Store right now, were "incredibly strong" and "exceeded the label's expectations."

"Borderlands 3's incredibly successful launch is a result of the hard work and longstanding partnership between Gearbox Software and 2K," said David Ismailer, President of 2K. "We are immensely grateful to everyone who played a role in making the Borderlands series the global, pop culture phenomenon that it is today, including hundreds of developers at Gearbox and many who have made this their life's work. We also want to thank the Borderlands community. Mayhem does not happen by itself, and their passion for the series is what drives us to make each game an amazing experience."

These numbers are strong for Gearbox's latest title and it'll be interesting to see how sales continue. If you haven't tried out Borderlands 3 yet, you can read our review to see if it is something you might want to jump into.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

Now imagine how huge the sales would have been if they had launched on the PC's biggest store.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@Planeforger said:

Now imagine how huge the sales would have been if they had launched on the PC's biggest store.

The same, cause anyone wanting the game got it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Good to know that Steam fanboys are irrelevant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e83c14458072
deactivated-5e83c14458072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 deactivated-5e83c14458072
Member since 2006 • 2727 Posts

B-But no one buys games through EGS and they are supposed to go bankrupt within a year! Waaah!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Yep. The game is great, and deserves the great sales numbers. Patience is required for the technical issues to be patched, but the important thing is that this game is awesome. It is worth the wait.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56226 Posts

I'm just sitting here and letting Gearbox fattening those Epic PC gamers have their fills and beta testing this game as I wait until it hits Steam and patch free by the time BL3 arrives on Steam. Gearbox did the right thing and by delaying it so I won't have to deal with the BS.

Oh and congrats to BL3 hitting 5 million copies sold.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

Define "incredibly strong".

That's a little vague for me, and you have to wonder if Tencent-Epic has a disclosure contract where, no matter what, a publisher has to say that sales on their store were good lol.

I also find it a little odd that every AAA publisher thus far has said sales have been "strong" or "exceeded expectations" without actually giving us a number. I think it's a lot of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours"; publishers like paying Tencent-Epic a smaller %, but they might not exactly be happy with the number of copies sold, so they do some PR moves like "Oh yeah everyone is buying from the Tencent-Epic store..." to get those holding out to cave in. Safety in numbers as they say.

@davillain- said:

I'm just sitting here and letting Gearbox fattening those Epic PC gamers have their fills and beta testing this game as I wait until it hits Steam and patch free by the time BL3 arrives on Steam. Gearbox did the right thing and by delaying it so I won't have to deal with the BS.

Oh and congrats to BL3 hitting 5 million copies sold.

Same.

Was never big on "shlooters" to begin with, I will wait for this.

I purchased a couple games on Tencent-Epic store and I regret doing it because I sit there playing it and think "this would be better with Steam's community, forums, and mod support (one of the games I'm playing is Satisfactory and you know they'd have mods for that if it were on Steam).

@Arkhalipso said:

B-But no one buys games through EGS and they are supposed to go bankrupt within a year! Waaah!

They are all-but-owned by the Chinese company Tencent. They are not going anywhere, they exist solely to pull customers away from other storefronts; not to make a profit, do a good service for their customers, and so forth.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator

@mrbojangles25: I mean, I could've gotten BL3 on Epic if I wanted to but I sure as hell ain't going to support that loud mouth Randy Pitchford and can't stand that guy either.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

..... PC sales on EGS ..... the launch day user numbers were only 2x the amount of BL2 from 2012 on steam..... ie 124k vs ~250k. Dont let the PR BS fool you PC sales suck for a 2019 release, it would have much bigger if they released it on Steam and other store fronts.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Great game so far. Bosses seem harder than the previous 2 games. Well worth the $50 I spent.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

..... PC sales on EGS ..... the launch day user numbers were only 2x the amount of BL2 from 2012 on steam..... ie 124k vs ~250k. Dont let the PR BS fool you PC sales suck for a 2019 release, it would have much bigger if they released it on Steam and other store fronts.

Thank you for the numbers, and supporting my point. And yeah, only 250k sales does kind of suck for a game of this renown. I would have expected it to be more than that, but then again PC gamers don't buy into the hype like console gamers do :P

They're just putting a bunch of spin on it.

It's like when some tells you "Yeah, but if you do this, you'll double your chances at winning!!!!" Suckers would be like "Oh wow, double my chances? I'm in" whereas the more savvy people would ask "What were my chances to begin with? 0.0001%? So now they're 0.0002%? No thanks I'm good"

@davillain- said:

@mrbojangles25: I mean, I could've gotten BL3 on Epic if I wanted to but I sure as hell ain't going to support that loud mouth Randy Pitchford and can't stand that guy either.

Yeah seriously, Randy Pitchford is a douche. It's a shame, too, because I think Gearbox has some talent there, it'd be amazing if they had some leadership. They could be a real force for good in the gaming industry, make some innovative titles instead of generic and sub-par shooters.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

No matter how successful it is, it could have been even more successful if it released on all platforms.

How did this game ship without a raid boss?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59086 Posts

It's a crap series.

Enjoy junk?

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2145 Posts

Do they count the keys Epic purchased in advance for the exclusivity?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

Nice. I wouldn’t mind picking this up on the Xbox One sometime in the very near future after a pick up a few other games I want to get first. I really enjoyed the second game and this new one looks quite good.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#17 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@04dcarraher said:

Thank you for the numbers, and supporting my point. And yeah, only 250k sales does kind of suck for a game of this renown. I would have expected it to be more than that, but then again PC gamers don't buy into the hype like console gamers do :P

It's like when some tells you "Yeah, but if you do this, you'll double your chances at winning!!!!" Suckers would be like "Oh wow, double my chances? I'm in" whereas the more savvy people would ask "What were my chances to begin with? 0.0001%? So now they're 0.0002%? No thanks I'm good"

250k concurrent players on launch day does not equate to 250k sales. I suspect it would be more like 1 million+ sales but that is a rough as hell estimate

a game that has that many concurrent players on day 1 on Steam would be considered extremely successful. very few games AAA or otherwise see a number that high.

anyways I picked the game up on day 1, no regrets its a lot of fun (though I enjoyed the previous games in the serious as well)

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@with_teeth26 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@04dcarraher said:

250k concurrent players on launch day does not equate to 250k sales. I suspect it would be more like 1 million+ sales but that is a rough as hell estimate

a game that has that many concurrent players on day 1 on Steam would be considered extremely successful. very few games AAA or otherwise see a number that high.

anyways I picked the game up on day 1, no regrets its a lot of fun (though I enjoyed the previous games in the serious as well)

for reference, Total War Three Kingdoms, arguably the biggest PC exclusive release this year and the fastest selling Total War game ever, peaked at 190k concurrent players on steam after it launched. it sold over a million in its first week

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It's a crap series.

Enjoy junk?

I guess I enjoy crap/junk games so I can also feel that the games you play are also crap/junk!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59086 Posts
@rrjim1 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

It's a crap series.

Enjoy junk?

I guess I enjoy crap/junk games so I can also feel that the games you play are also crap/junk!

Bordersuck 3.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15947 Posts

Welp my efforts

KazHirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KazHirai
Member since 2019 • 433 Posts
@Ant_17 said:
@Planeforger said:

Not true, I didn't buy it and would have had it of been on Steam.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@kazhirai said:
@Ant_17 said:
@Planeforger said:

You got it on PS4 Kaz so stfu

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator

@Ant_17 said:
@kazhirai said:
@Ant_17 said:
@Planeforger said:

You got it on PS4 Kaz so stfu

Borderlands series has always been popular on PS4, of course Kaz already got it on his grand master PS4 :P

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@Planeforger said:

Yeah, I think the people willing to pay full price for a game aren't going to bother waiting a whole year just to get it on Steam. They'll just bite the bullet and get it on EGS.

Perhaps sales would have been slightly higher if released on Steam, but I doubt it would've made a significant difference. Could be wrong though.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

for reference, Total War Three Kingdoms, arguably the biggest PC exclusive release this year and the fastest selling Total War game ever, peaked at 190k concurrent players on steam after it launched. it sold over a million in its first week

Hmmm yeah, and Total War is considered an extremely huge PC series, so having 60K more concurrent players than the best selling Total War game so far, is pretty huge indeed.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Nice. I'm really enjoying it. Much better than BL2.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Yawn

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

@Planeforger said:

Probably would sold more...but with all the fees they probably end up making a lot less i would imagine. Selling 5 million copies on Epic Store (if all their copies were sold there) equals to about selling 6.5 million copies on Steam if they did it on launch just to break even....something that probably won't happen after the 6 months exclusivity.

Yeah no way i'm getting Steam release at full price six months later....