Blu-ray will be history, says Microsoft

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

M3tro1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 M3tro1d
Member since 2008 • 223 Posts

Blu-ray may have won, but Xbox Europe boss Chris Lewis reckons "shiny discs" will look as rubbish as boring old vinyl records and those hilarious Video Cassette Recorders before long. Lewis said, "Going forwards, digital downloads is really where it's at," . "More and more people's ongoing and ever-increasing downloading of music and movies is becoming the de facto. I think that's going to happen in very short order; people want to consume that way," he continued.

"Before very long we will look back wistfully at shiny discs as something that was somewhat a historic phenomenon in a way that we kind of think about vinyl or VCRs today." According to Lewis, the shift away from using discs to store media and towards using them as coasters will happen "sooner than any of us think". "That's the future direction, and I think that's going to be the case in the next 12-18 months," Lewis predicted. "I think we're going to be talking much more about that than anything else. Do I think that this Christmas will somehow be defined by DVD playback? I genuinely don't think that will be the case,"

What about the material impact of the demise of HD-DVD on your console velocity, Chris? "I do not think that [the demise of HD DVD] will have any material impact on our console velocity." "And I think other factors, specifically our architecture around downloads, is far more advantageous and important for the future. We are best placed to offer that, we already offer that, our online pedigree is such that we will offer the best and most seamless experience."

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=94696

Sounds like bitter tears from MS to me. Blu-ray won get over it. I don't think people would rather download movies or games, they would rather own the disk. Stop the damage control MS please. I like your games but you don't half talk ****, like the other day when you said you wouldn't swap places with Nintend, YEAH WHATEVER.

Vasichko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Vasichko
Member since 2004 • 2565 Posts

Sorry but I would much rather have a physical copy then downloadable media. Thats just me, but what do I know?

Not to mention alot of people still have DSL, downloading 2+ gigs with DSL isnt fun.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
Id rather use shelf space than HDD space. Sorry MS. When I have a TB of storage thats portable enough to bring my whole movie collection to a friends house and watch them on any TV, maybe it will be different. But still there is the issue of, where do you back it all up?
Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

He just saying that because the format they backed has been beating, and didn't MS say they will support any format who will come on top.

I think they taking it hard just concentrate on having great games on your console.

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
As great as digital content distribution may be, I still feel a lot safer knowing my data is stored physically unto a certain form. Blue-Ray is one example. Someone who embraces the idea of an digital industry monopolization through digital storage means is arrogant, period. It's always important to have a backup when data gets lost through server crashes / data corruption, etc.
SER69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SER69
Member since 2003 • 7096 Posts

Id rather use shelf space than HDD space. Sorry MS.Darthmatt

3DSMax FTW!!!!

dackchaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dackchaar
Member since 2005 • 3668 Posts
I only got a 20 gig 360 I'd much rather have discs than HD space being taken up. Plus Blu-Ray looks quite a bit better than downloadable HD movies.
The_Dan_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Dan_K
Member since 2008 • 442 Posts

Oh yeah. MS was so strong in their confidence on digital downloads that they didn't even make HDD's standard in the 360. And they offered a HD-DVD add-on.

Should be evident that DD is a ways off from being the main medium for games.

Vasichko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vasichko
Member since 2004 • 2565 Posts
LOL you think this guy went home and watched a new movie on Blu Ray after work?
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

So a movie download box ($449) or a blu-ray player ($399) ? I won't be playing games like the rest of America because I can't spend money and time on both games and movies ......... so which do I choose ? Such a dilemma.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts

See, you can't promote your HDD-less console as the cheapest console available and then go completely the other way and say that you support digital distribution! I mean talk about being a sore loser. Plus, there is a difference between downloading a 1GB movie, and getting a 25GB game by digital distribution.

I would also like to point out that not everyone in the world has a super fast internet connection. In the UK, the fastest actual speed you can get is about 2.5 megabytes a second and that is at maximum, most of the time, your speed gets throttled.

Oh, and the fact that, if you go for digital distributions, eventually you will end up having to juggle and shuffle things to fit what you want on your hard drive. Funny since MS doesn't support changing your hard drive yet its competitor does........

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
Internet service providers are no where ready for DD.
mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mmirza23
Member since 2004 • 3457 Posts
downloadable HD movies are still capped at 720p and sound quality wise isn't nearly as good as Blu-Ray, now if they promote downloading of movies with the specs of Blu Ray, that would mean even larger file sizes and even more waiting.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

they say soon, but I dont think they mean within the next few years, more the next decade.

Hard drives are expensive, plus think of all the games and movies you have. Now think about how big your hard drive would have to be to accomidate this. how expensive it that, not cheap.

Plus if your hard drive busts, your game is gone. and it will be harder to show proof o purchase.

games are going to take up more and more space, which is why blu ray is good. Imagine is in the future games are taking up 30gig each, hoew much space will you need for your games! we are talking terabites here!!!!!!!

I see why you posted this though, its because you cant et blu ray and are trying to look on ther bright side, you are right, digital distribution is the future, but more the distant future.

therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 therealmcc0y
Member since 2007 • 2115 Posts
Sonys Blu Ray beat Microsofts HDDVD and M$ is lecturing Sony? HA!
Albanian_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Albanian_Killa
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts
Micro$oft also said HDMI is not needed for HD output. Micro$oft also said HD-DVD is the choice of the consumers. Micro$oft also said RROD didn't exist a while back. Micro$oft says a lot.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

I agree with him. I work in the storage space industry, and the one thing that is blatently obvious is how darn cheap disk space is getting. It won't be long before DD will be the means for everything from movies to games. All that remains is for these DVR STB's to inherit IPTV standards.

While many may argue that there isn't a sufficient number of people with broadband connections, I would argue there is enough for the service to work. Considering Sony is likely not making a net profit in Bluray yet, any cut into their market space is going to hurt. Especially, if the correlation between people who have broadband and people who can afford Bluray is closely tied.

mattyftm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattyftm
Member since 2005 • 7306 Posts
Forget blu-ray. Forget HDDVD. Forget Digital downloads. Hard drives are going to be the next format. It won't be too long before you buy movies and games on hard drives and just put them in a console or video player.
CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

See, you can't promote your HDD-less console as the cheapest console available and then go completely the other way and say that you support digital distribution! I mean talk about being a sore loser. Plus, there is a difference between downloading a 1GB movie, and getting a 25GB game by digital distribution.

I would also like to point out that not everyone in the world has a super fast internet connection. In the UK, the fastest actual speed you can get is about 2.5 megabytes a second and that is at maximum, most of the time, your speed gets throttled.

Oh, and the fact that, if you go for digital distributions, eventually you will end up having to juggle and shuffle things to fit what you want on your hard drive. Funny since MS doesn't support changing your hard drive yet its competitor does........

donwoogie

Basically, 120gb (really its like 114gb) wont last long.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rimnet00
Forget blu-ray. Forget HDDVD. Forget Digital downloads. Hard drives are going to be the next format. It won't be too long before you buy movies and games on hard drives and just put them in a console or video player. mattyftm
Digital Distribution depends on hard drives....
Paddy345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Paddy345
Member since 2007 • 860 Posts

I agree with him. I work in the storage space industry, and the one thing that is blatently obvious is how darn cheap disk space is getting. It won't be long before DD will be the means for everything from movies to games. All that remains is for these DVR STB's to inherit IPTV standards.

While many may argue that there isn't a sufficient number of people with broadband connections, I would argue there is enough for the service to work. Considering Sony is likely not making a net profit in Bluray yet, any cut into their market space is going to hurt. Especially, if the correlation between people who have broadband and people who can afford Bluray is closely tied.

rimnet00

Sorry but whether you like it or not movie DD is the distant future, people prefer discs at the min, the only thing people are comfortable downloading digitally now is music as it's so small

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

Blu-ray may have won, but Xbox Europe boss Chris Lewis reckons "shiny discs" will look as rubbish as boring old vinyl records and those hilarious Video Cassette Recorders before long. Lewis said, "Going forwards, digital downloads is really where it's at," . "More and more people's ongoing and ever-increasing downloading of music and movies is becoming the de facto. I think that's going to happen in very short order; people want to consume that way," he continued.

"Before very long we will look back wistfully at shiny discs as something that was somewhat a historic phenomenon in a way that we kind of think about vinyl or VCRs today." According to Lewis, the shift away from using discs to store media and towards using them as coasters will happen "sooner than any of us think". "That's the future direction, and I think that's going to be the case in the next 12-18 months," Lewis predicted. "I think we're going to be talking much more about that than anything else. Do I think that this Christmas will somehow be defined by DVD playback? I genuinely don't think that will be the case,"

What about the material impact of the demise of HD-DVD on your console velocity, Chris? "I do not think that [the demise of HD DVD] will have any material impact on our console velocity." "And I think other factors, specifically our architecture around downloads, is far more advantageous and important for the future. We are best placed to offer that, we already offer that, our online pedigree is such that we will offer the best and most seamless experience."

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=94696

Sounds like bitter tears from MS to me. Blu-ray won get over it. I don't think people would rather download movies or games, they would rather own the disk. Stop the damage control MS please. I like your games but you don't half talk ****, like the other day when you said you wouldn't swap places with Nintend, YEAH WHATEVER.

M3tro1d
Agreed. Microdork makes me laugh with their ridicules damage control responses. Digital download has way to many cons against it for it to become the main way of getting media. I much rather have my hard copies.
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#23 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts

I'd rather have a physical copy in my hand.

CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

rimnet00

It might be true, but it wont work for the 360. What are you gonna do when you fill up your 120gb 360 hard drive?, its not like you can buy any harddrive like the PS3, only the 360 hard drive. $100 for a 120gb hard drive, thats to much.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 donwoogie
[QUOTE="rimnet00"]

Paddy345

Sorry but whether you like it or not movie DD is the distant future, people prefer discs at the min, the only thing people are comfortable downloading digitally now is music as it's so small

That, and, if MS was really thinking about DD, then they would make Xbox 360 Hard Drives replacable, much like a certain other company that makes PS3s is doing.............

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rimnet00
[QUOTE="rimnet00"]

Paddy345

I would argue that people care more about price. Digital Distribution is inheriently cheaper, as it cuts out having to manafactuer the disks, which means the movies can be sold for cheaper while still retaining the same profit margins, if not more. With that said, the players themselves consist of technology that is relatively cheaper to manafactuer then a standard bluray player.

With all that said and done, there are the added benefits of DD, which include: not having to go to the store, not worrying about losing your copy of the game, backwards compatability is solved through simply software, being able to pre-order movies are ready to watch the minute they are officially released.

TheCheat23k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheCheat23k
Member since 2004 • 1240 Posts

rimnet00

That is also assuming that a good number of people who have broadband will want to download their movies, games, etc...which I don't think will be the case. I personally will never buy a game or movie online when I can get a physical copy at the store. If things started to go DD, then most people will just end up pirating movies even more. Buying a physical copy of a movie gives the customer some incentive to actually own the movie, but when it is just a file on your computer, people are going to care less and less about buying expensive movies and just download it illegally. I hope things never go complete digital, especially not games, because that will be the end of games/movies for me.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rimnet00

That, and, if MS was really thinking about DD, then they would make Xbox 360 Hard Drives replacable, much like a certain other company that makes PS3s is doing.............

donwoogie

I hardly feel that Micosoft is directly refering to just this generation. The xbox elites are a taste of what digital distribution can be. Microsoft is clearly refering to the broader future of media distribution, which is not limited to just the PS3 and the 360, but instead media in general. The Bluray was geared to be the medium for the future, not for just a few years. Microsoft is essentially saying, we aren't going to bank on it.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 donwoogie
[QUOTE="donwoogie"]

rimnet00

I hardly feel that Micosoft is directly refering to just this generation. The xbox elites are a taste of what digital distribution can be. Microsoft is clearly refering to the broader future of media distribution, which is not limited to just the PS3 and the 360, but instead media in general. The Bluray was geared to be the medium for the future, not for just a few years. Microsoft is essentially saying, we aren't going to bank on it.

There's also the consideration that movie companies are happier with discs because it's easier to control whereas digital media could probably more easily be copied. That and the fact that, you and I may be more informed, but digital distributions scares a lot of people who are more comfortable with having hard copies off all their stuff.

Paddy345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Paddy345
Member since 2007 • 860 Posts
[QUOTE="Paddy345"][QUOTE="rimnet00"]

rimnet00

I would argue that people care more about price. Digital Distribution is inheriently cheaper, as it cuts out having to manafactuer the disks, which means the movies can be sold for cheaper while still retaining the same profit margins, if not more. With that said, the players themselves consist of technology that is relatively cheaper to manafactuer then a standard bluray player.

With all that said and done, there are the added benefits of DD, which include: not having to go to the store, not worrying about losing your copy of the game, backwards compatability is solved through simply software, being able to pre-order movies are ready to watch the minute they are officially released.

Yes i agree with all of that but as i said it won't happen yet, first we will need to wait for next generation broadband as most people don't have the speed, also 360 hdd aren't replaced easily which is ironic as ps3's is, also people still prefer discs at the min and it will take a while for it to catch on like music

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rimnet00
[QUOTE="rimnet00"]

TheCheat23k

That is also assuming that a good number of people who have broadband will want to download their movies, games, etc...which I don't think will be the case. I personally will never buy a game or movie online when I can get a physical copy at the store. If things started to go DD, then most people will just end up pirating movies even more. Buying a physical copy of a movie gives the customer some incentive to actually own the movie, but when it is just a file on your computer, people are going to care less and less about buying expensive movies and just download it illegally. I hope things never go complete digital, especially not games, because that will be the end of games/movies for me.

The notion of whether or not consumers will except change is always a question asked with every new generation of media. Will people adapt HD? Will people adopt Bluray/HDDVD? etc

Digitally distributed software is easier to protect against piracy then physical media. Any noob can copy a DVD and music CDs. The same will happen with Bluray movies. Not anyone can pirate digitally distrubuted content which has security features that mutate with time. Physical media players are unable to mutate, since it's hardware dependent.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
DD download is just something that isn't going to happen for many many years if ever in our lifetime. M$ has been trying to find a market that they can monopolize like they did with the Windows OS for several years, that's why there trying to push DD. Also the reason for the way they have played the console games the way they have with saying certain things weren't nessasry until a later date and then release another console with the added feature is a way for them to milk the consumer for all the money they can, that's how they have made the money they have in the past with there OS's.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rimnet00

DD download is just something that isn't going to happen for many many years if ever in our lifetime. M$ has been trying to find a market that they can monopolize like they did with the Windows OS for several years, that's why there trying to push DD. Also the reason for the way they have played the console games the way they have with saying certain things weren't nessasry until a later date and then release another console with the added feature is a way for them to milk the consumer for all the money they can, that's how they have made the money they have in the past with there OS's.jimm895

/facepalm

phatrawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 phatrawk
Member since 2003 • 187 Posts

I agree with the MS rep, but perhaps not his "12-18 months" timeframe in terms of movie downloads. I'll agree with him concerning games, as I haven't bought a new PC game from a store in a loooong time. Actually, I'm silently crossing my fingers that Sony offers something similar for the PSP in the near future...

What is true is that BluRay most likely won't have the same "hay-day" as DVD had. DVD was a clear upgrade from bulky VHS tapes, and therefore had no real competition. BluRay has already had to weather the HD-DVD storm, and now has DD to deal with.

People already accept not having their music on CDs (by the sheer growth of iTunes and, er, less reputable means). What makes you "physical media defenders" think the same won't happen with movies and games? People used to think downloading a 100MB music album was big...now, many of the videos you stream are that size. Times change, and technology (thankfully) doesn't stop for console generations.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#35 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

I doubt it, Blu-Ray has one and maybe they are just saying it because they're annoyed that HD-DVD is out

One day it may all be downloadable but for now Blu-Ray is king

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

Sony already have a DVR type of thing with their PS3 called PlayTv and also they're constantly updating their PSN Store with all kinds of movies and tv shows. I mean they do have Sony Pictures. Also they're already doing it with their games, Warhawk, Socom, GT5P, etc. could all be downloaded. So whats the point of blu ray if games like these are available for downloads.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 donwoogie
[QUOTE="TheCheat23k"][QUOTE="rimnet00"]

rimnet00

The notion of whether or not consumers will except change is always a question asked with every new generation of media. Will people adapt HD? Will people adopt Bluray/HDDVD? etc

Digitally distributed software is easier to protect against piracy then physical media. Any noob can copy a DVD and music CDs. The same will happen with Bluray movies. Not anyone can pirate digitally distrubuted content which has security features that mutate with time. Physical media players are unable to mutate, since it's hardware dependent.

I see what you're saying and I agree that the benefits of DD could potentially be better than physical distribution, but the fact is that most people are of the psychological mindframe that having a hard copy in your hand is safter than a digital copy. Even I, to a certain extent, feel that way. You have the benefit of working with storage mediums to a point where you ability to be informed has overcome this mindset, but most other people haven't.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

DD has alot of bariers to surmount before it can even begin to be a standard format.

1.Beating the hard disk: People love to collect and have something to show for the money they spent, whats going to be more impressive to the ego, a shelf full of movies or one box with movies stored on it?

2: Backup: The isssue with having DD is either it's not portable and stuck on your box, so you can't just take it to your friends, or it's portable and hard to backup if the data gets corrup for some stupid reason most people are not going to backup gigs worth of movies on there hard-drives.

3:Bandwidth: Current DD media is slow due to the fact we don't have the bandwidth to download it in a speedy or proficient manner, they need to work on making bandwidths higher, but with talks about net neutrality of domain and bandwidth restrictions who knows if total bandwidth will be going up or down.

4:Service providers: Already constrain bandwidth in some cases and don't seem to want to let up unless you got deep pockets.

Perhaps once these have been solved DD can get on its feet and start worying about security issues, because where there is a will, and a computer...there is a way to exploit everyone who uses it.

*edit*

I know DD will eventually be the dominate format for stuff, but I think it's farther away then people think.

Miss_Wacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Miss_Wacy
Member since 2007 • 1911 Posts
sounds like damage controll M$
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
Damage Controlx10000 Gb.
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

Digitally distributed software is easier to protect against piracy then physical media. Any noob can copy a DVD and music CDs. The same will happen with Bluray movies. Not anyone can pirate digitally distrubuted content which has security features that mutate with time. Physical media players are unable to mutate, since it's hardware dependent. rimnet00

Considering that it'll take some time for computers to come standard with blu-ray drives, the "threat" of illegal copy distribution is at a low minimum. Piracy happens everywhere, there's no sure immunity in digitally protected media, sooner or later the 'code' will eventually be cracked.

And i'm not sure what you mean by 'mutate', I guess you're trying to say standalone disc players can't 'upgrade.' If so there are some blu-ray/hd-dvd players out there which have firmware updates to allow them to play any future 'versions' of the disc. There are also HD players that do allow play of regular dvd movies.

The consumer has two choices and neither is an easy one.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
yeah, but not for a looooooong time.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rimnet00

[QUOTE="rimnet00"]Digitally distributed software is easier to protect against piracy then physical media. Any noob can copy a DVD and music CDs. The same will happen with Bluray movies. Not anyone can pirate digitally distrubuted content which has security features that mutate with time. Physical media players are unable to mutate, since it's hardware dependent. DementedDragon

Considering that it'll take some time for computers to come standard with blu-ray drives, the "threat" of illegal copy distribution is at a low minimum. Piracy happens everywhere, there's no sure immunity in digitally protected media, sooner or later the 'code' will eventually be cracked.

And i'm not sure what you mean by 'mutate', I guess you're trying to say standalone disc players can't 'upgrade.' If so there are some blu-ray/hd-dvd drives out there which have firmware updates to allow them to play any future 'versions' of the disc. There are also HD players that do allow play of regular dvd movies.

The consumer has two choices and neither isn't an easy one.

Read the bolded comment. The security mutates, meaning, it doesn't stay the same.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Digital Distribution will never completely replace physical media. It just won't. MP3s, as prevalent as they are, still have not made CDs extinct, just pushed them more to the fringe.

Also, Digital Distro for major works, such as TV shows, games, and films, especially in high definition, have major hurdles to overcome before DD could become the norm. Storage space, better compression, broadband speeds, and ISP enforced bandwidth limits are all major concerns that would have to be addressed before DD could even go mainstream.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

Wow, some of you guys are funny, and oblivious to things that are ALREADY going on. We've moved on to digitally distributing music for years now already. Now services like Steam for DDing of games and software. Finally we've got On Demand services for movies and whatnot on cable providers. Everytime this comes up, people say its years away...it's already here and it's right under your noses.

Also, DD done properly can be safer than using physical media. If a fire destroyed all your physical discs, they're gone. If a fire destroys your HDD, you log into the service and it still knows exactly what media you have license to, and lets you recover it all...no fuss no muss.

The big challenge is getting the first idea of DD accepted. MP3's did this. Every successive use of that delivery mechanism is quicker. It took years for CD's to really gain a foothold in the market, DVD's were being mainstreamed in under 3 years.

If people were so hesitant for DD, why would ON demand services now get access to movies day and date with the DVD release? If the money wasn't shifting that way, content providers wouldn't be either.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Security on many things changes all the time, and there are always people up to the challenge of breaking it, and so begins a savage cycle of coding and codes being broken over and over, and nothing really gets done.
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

Digital Distribution will never completely replace physical media. It just won't. MP3s, as prevalent as they are, still have not made CDs extinct, just pushed them more to the fringe.

SpruceCaboose

great point that is rarely brought up in the DD argument

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Damage Controlx10000 Gb.hongkingkong

My question is how is this damage control... The Dreamcast had an online infastructure.. How many items did you/we DL from Seganet? The PS2/XB/GC had Online components... How many items/games/ect.. did you/we DL from them? Now look at PSN, and Live (hell even Wiionline). How many 50's of millions of packs, theme's, Movies, TV shows, Game demos, Arcade games ect..e ct.. have we DL from them? I've already DL atlteast 70 demos, and 2 Arcade games, and the Oblivion exp. from Live, And I plan on getting a hell of a lot more considering Bionic Commando is upon us... And in the short time I had the wii I DL 3 VC games.. Now I'm not saying DD will take the place of physical media (Hell no).. But you have to admit that DD is growing and it'll only get bigger.

btw, I Knooooow the Sony fans aren't bashing DD with as much **** as they talk about Home..

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Wow, some of you guys are funny, and oblivious to things that are ALREADY going on. We've moved on to digitally distributing music for years now already. Now services like Steam for DDing of games and software. Finally we've got On Demand services for movies and whatnot on cable providers. Everytime this comes up, people say its years away...it's already here and it's right under your noses.

Also, DD done properly can be safer than using physical media. If a fire destroyed all your physical discs, they're gone. If a fire destroys your HDD, you log into the service and it still knows exactly what media you have license to, and lets you recover it all...no fuss no muss.

The big challenge is getting the first idea of DD accepted. MP3's did this. Every successive use of that delivery mechanism is quicker. It took years for CD's to really gain a foothold in the market, DVD's were being mainstreamed in under 3 years.

If people were so hesitant for DD, why would ON demand services now get access to movies day and date with the DVD release? If the money wasn't shifting that way, content providers wouldn't be either.

Steppy_76

Its here, but it has a long way to go before its the norm, if it ever does. And if you have witnessed the quality of HD discs vs the quality of HD downloads, you would realize that the quality is different, and that is another issue that needs to be worked out before it can become a viable alternative to physical media.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Steppy_76

Don't forget Itune's... ect.. People just don't want to admit that M$ just may be right..