Blu ray is not needed? then explain this?

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gameruk2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gameruk2010
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts

John Carmack is showing off id's secret new game engine. The demonstration showcased an "insanely detailed world" made up of 20GB of textures.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=72333

qead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 qead
Member since 2005 • 1055 Posts
I just don't get it... if oblivion can fit on ONE dvd disk then why do we need blu ray YET?
Blanco98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Blanco98
Member since 2006 • 1118 Posts

Yea many peeps say it but its completely nesscery with as much memory as blu-ray you can hold games that are amazing people just deny it though, after this genration almost every console will have blu-ray or something better....

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

The only problem is that the 20 gigabyte file does not take up 20 gigabytes of file space on the disc. I've seen this explained before. It will be released on DVDs as well as the PS3 (PC and Xbox 360).

The file only ends up being a little over a hundred megabytes, if memory serves.

GarchomPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GarchomPro
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

People who say blu-ray is not needed isnt preparing for the futur properly. Even now blu-ray is very usefull to developers. Theyve stated it

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Redfingers

I just don't get it... if oblivion can fit on ONE dvd disk then why do we need blu ray YET?qead

Oblivion repeats a number of small, often low quality tilesets. It will in no way compare to the detail found in the megatexture applied to the games John Carmack is currently speaking of. Do not despair: this game will be available to your platforms as well, but rest assured that it will look INFINITELY BETTER than Oblivion.

groovdafied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 groovdafied
Member since 2005 • 5012 Posts
ZOMG! Is this the part where I'm supposed to pee my pants?
anshuk20002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 anshuk20002
Member since 2004 • 3523 Posts

I just don't get it... if oblivion can fit on ONE dvd disk then why do we need blu ray YET?qead

alot of those were reused textures, voices, ect.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

:roll: blu-ray is not needed

period

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Redfingers

People who say blu-ray is not needed isnt preparing for the futur properly. Even now blu-ray is very usefull to developers. Theyve stated it

GarchomPro

Yes, I know, I've defended Blu Ray relentlessly, but this is not one of Blu Ray's assets. This texture will not take up 20 gigabytes of file space. Carmack should have clarified that before the Blu Ray jockeys went nuts on Gamespot.

Blanco98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Blanco98
Member since 2006 • 1118 Posts
First off oblivion is in a HD-DVD disk which has better storage than DvD anyways Blu-ray is capable of doing a game way supperior to oblivion its just that devs dont take there time too....
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts
oblivion does not look as pretty as the tech demo that ID showed off. :(
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Redfingers

period

wavebrid

Depends on what you're talking about, man. Like Naughty Dog said, they're using it, along with the HDD, to stream nearly everything. They said that the Uncharted DEMO would not fit on a single DVD. Isn't that convincing enough? Isn't it also convincing to know that a single level in Lair takes up 4 gigabytes?

Resistance has 30 levels, while Gears has 8. Do the math.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wavebrid

GarchomPro

when you dont need something in the future :| why bother having it now

and guess what they HAVENT USE IT!

people who think you need blu-ray really needs to rethink

OldParr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OldParr
Member since 2006 • 2996 Posts

well after gears i dont see why is necessary and creating stuff like that will indicate more money and tons of time.maybe bioshock will change ur mind

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Redfingers

[QUOTE="qead"]I just don't get it... if oblivion can fit on ONE dvd disk then why do we need blu ray YET?Blanco98
First off oblivion is in a HD-DVD disk which has better storage than DvD anyways Blu-ray is capable of doing a game way supperior to oblivion its just that devs dont take there time too....

Oblivion is on ONE SINGLE DVD ON BOTH XBOX 360 AND PC. No game is currently on an HD-DVD. What is with these insane misconceptions today? READ EVERY ONE OF MY POSTS IN THIS TOPIC!

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"]

period

Redfingers

Depends on what you're talking about, man. Like Naughty Dog said, they're using it, along with the HDD, to stream nearly everything. They said that the Uncharted DEMO would not fit on a single DVD. Isn't that convincing enough? Isn't it also convincing to know that a single level in Lair takes up 4 gigabytes?

Resistance has 30 levels, while Gears has 8. Do the math.

no since i can say pizza cant fit into a car either. Just beacuse they said it DOSENT MAKE IT TRUE.

did we need dvd, cd for games no we didnt. but we have them now dont we...

qead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 qead

[QUOTE="qead"]I just don't get it... if oblivion can fit on ONE dvd disk then why do we need blu ray YET?Redfingers

Oblivion repeats a number of small, often low quality tilesets. It will in no way compare to the detail found in the megatexture applied to the games John Carmack is currently speaking of. Do not despair: this game will be available to your platforms as well, but rest assured that it will look INFINITELY BETTER than Oblivion.

I'll belive it when I see it. I'm a Sony fan but so far this gen has been all talk and no walk

EDIT (ma gramma sux)

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts
They have this thing called compression....
anshuk20002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 anshuk20002
Member since 2004 • 3523 Posts

well after gears i dont see why is necessary and creating stuff like that will indicate more money and tons of time.maybe bioshock will change ur mind

OldParr

i guess blu ray is for the super epic games that are long. gears single player is short.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Redfingers

OldParr

It's necessary to have the mega-texture because like Carmack said, it's going to provide a HUGE amount of detail. The games will look SUBSTANTIALLY better. If you'd ever played a PC game in your life, you'd know that Gears of War is not even impressive. Carmack is actually pushing the bar with this game technologically, like Guerilla is with deferred lighting, Insomniac is with physics, and Bioshock and Heavenly Sword are with animations

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

period

wavebrid
it isnt need but it doesopen up possibilities. Remember: Blurray= more storage. More storage = bigger game. Bigger game= Bigger fun
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Redfingers
[QUOTE="Redfingers"]

[QUOTE="qead"]I just don't get it... if oblivion can fit on ONE dvd disk then why do we need blu ray YET?qead

I'll belive it when I see it. I'm a Sony fan but so far this gen has been all talk and no walk

EDIT (ma gramma sux)

He's John Carmack for Christ's sake. What is he, lying or something? Oblivion has already been destroyed by a number of titles, from Crysis to Haze to Heavenly Sword to Mass Effect. Stop dreaming. I swear, people in this foum and their Gears of War and flipping Oblivion. My brother says Oblivion is UGLY. He said, verbatim "it looks like butthole" when he saw it for the first time. It's not impressive. It won't require a big leap to surpass. There are already games out that stomp this game, and I gaurantee you, the mega-texture is a way to surpass the wimpy tiles and pea-soup distance textures of Oblivion.

alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts
oblivion does not even look as pretty as the tech demo that ID showed off. oblivion is awesome game. but graphically the Id show case >>>>>>> oblivion.
Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts
[QUOTE="wavebrid"]

period

GunSmith1_basic

it isnt need but it doesopen up possibilities. Remember: Blurray= more storage. More storage = bigger game. Bigger game= Bigger fun

You're right! Blu-Ray will magically put money into developers pockets and they'll start making bigger games, like Motorstorm :|

OldParr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 OldParr
Member since 2006 • 2996 Posts
[QUOTE="OldParr"]

anshuk20002

i guess blu ray is for the super epic games that are long. gears single player is short.

boy what part of tons of times and money u dint get.and i said gears because u dont need extra storage to make a game epic

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"]

period

GunSmith1_basic

what you call the hardrive than....

qead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 qead
[QUOTE="qead"][QUOTE="Redfingers"]

[QUOTE="qead"]I just don't get it... if oblivion can fit on ONE dvd disk then why do we need blu ray YET?Redfingers

EDIT (ma gramma sux)

He's John Carmack for Christ's sake. What is he, lying or something? Oblivion has already been destroyed by a number of titles, from Crysis to Haze to Heavenly Sword to Mass Effect. Stop dreaming. I swear, people in this foum and their Gears of War and flipping Oblivion. My brother says Oblivion is UGLY. He said, verbatim "it looks like butthole" when he saw it for the first time. It's not impressive. It won't require a big leap to surpass. There are already games out that stomp this game, and I gaurantee you, the mega-texture is a way to surpass the wimpy tiles and pea-soup distance textures of Oblivion.

As I said, show me something the ps3 can do graphically that the box360 can't. And no, I'm not talking about developerspeculation or tech demos

DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 DuDisNow
Member since 2007 • 2741 Posts
Why should I care that something needs this to be great?
Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts
[QUOTE="Redfingers"][QUOTE="qead"][QUOTE="Redfingers"]

[QUOTE="qead"]I just don't get it... if oblivion can fit on ONE dvd disk then why do we need blu ray YET?qead

EDIT (ma gramma sux)

As I said, show me something the ps3 can do graphically that the box360 can't. And no, I'm not talking about developerspeculation or tech demos

He was saying that games on all platforms will look way better than Oblivion, and it's already happening. What's so hard to believe about that? It's Oblivion. The game was merely a transition game belast gen and this gen.
mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts

period

wavebrid

you must own a 360 then

period

H3llstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 H3llstrike
Member since 2006 • 1877 Posts

John Carmack is showing off id's secret new game engine. The demonstration showcased an "insanely detailed world" made up of 20GB of textures.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=72333

gameruk2010
You forgot per level WOW...
DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 DuDisNow
Member since 2007 • 2741 Posts
Blu-ray not needed!
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Redfingers
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

period

thirstychainsaw

You're right! Blu-Ray will magically put money into developers pockets and they'll start making bigger games, like Motorstorm :|

No, like Lair, Uncharted, Resistance, and Ratchet and Clank, which all have gigantic levels and plenty of them.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Redfingers
[QUOTE="wavebrid"]

period

mattyomo99

you must own a 360 then

period

What is with all this nonsense today? If Blu Ray is not needed you can play whatever you damn well please, from Wii to PS3 to PSP to DS to PC to 360. You don't HAVE to own a flipping 360.

But the problem with that statement is deeper than that. According to Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Factor Five, Blu Ray is needed. So I'm siding with them, seeing as their games are so GD impressive.

Steakdinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Steakdinner
Member since 2004 • 478 Posts

OMG the butthole!!!

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mattyomo99

Blu-ray not needed!DuDisNow

you wont be saying that in a year

thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thirstychainsaw
[QUOTE="thirstychainsaw"][QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

period

Redfingers

No, like Lair, Uncharted, Resistance, and Ratchet and Clank, which all have gigantic levels and plenty of them.

Bigger levels doesn't equal better levels and Lair and Uncharted have already been stated to be only 12-14 hours long...

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wavebrid
[QUOTE="mattyomo99"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

period

Redfingers

you must own a 360 then

period

What is with all this nonsense today? If Blu Ray is not needed you can play whatever you damn well please, from Wii to PS3 to PSP to DS to PC to 360. You don't HAVE to own a flipping 360.

But the problem with that statement is deeper than that. According to Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Factor Five, Blu Ray is needed. So I'm siding with them, seeing as their games are so GD impressive.

So beacuse some other developers say blu-ray needed you listen to them ? :roll: alright whatever floats your boat.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wavebrid

[QUOTE="DuDisNow"]Blu-ray not needed!mattyomo99

you wont be saying that in a year

ill bet you on that.

Sooshy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Sooshy
Member since 2007 • 1723 Posts
Meh. Blu-ray isn't needed, but you have to admit, more space isn't exactly a negative.
qead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 qead
[QUOTE="qead"][QUOTE="Redfingers"][QUOTE="qead"][QUOTE="Redfingers"]

[QUOTE="qead"]I just don't get it... if oblivion can fit on ONE dvd disk then why do we need blu ray YET?makingmusic476

EDIT (ma gramma sux)

He was saying that games on all platforms will look way better than Oblivion, and it's already happening. What's so hard to believe about that? It's Oblivion. The game was merely a transition game belast gen and this gen.

Really? I thought he was promoting blu ray.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Redfingers
[QUOTE="Redfingers"][QUOTE="qead"][QUOTE="Redfingers"]

EDIT (ma gramma sux)

The developers make the games. And when they make a factual assumption, I must side with them, unless I'm being arrogant and assuming I know more than them.

Instead of showing you something the 360 can't do, I'll simply ask you to show me examples of the 360 playing something the PS3 CAN do. Show me a game with 30 levels, 40 player multiplayer, and massive draw distances. Show me a game with 4 gigabyte levels, 32x32 km maps, 25,000 soldiers, hundreds of dragons, fluid dynamics, and progressive mesh. Show me a 360 game that has no loading screens (NONE) because the data is constantly streaming from both HDD and the Blu Ray (DVD perhaps, in 360's case?) sources. Show me a game with thousands of animations, deferred lighting and MSAA anti-aliasing. Please. Show me these games.

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mattyomo99
[QUOTE="Redfingers"][QUOTE="mattyomo99"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

period

wavebrid

you must own a 360 then

period

So beacuse some other developers say blu-ray needed you listen to them ? :roll: alright whatever floats your boat.

how can you sit at ur computer and say that a disk that holds 50gb makes equal games to a disk that holds 10gb

Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts

OldParr

Gears of War was waay too short. High detail graphics on HD DVD format equals less game length. Also Epic did not have enough time. Believe it or not they were pressured by Bill Gates to release for Fall. Hence the November 7 release date. Now that they have proven themselves, having blu-ray would not hurt them, rather help them. However the 360 is HD DVD. Having multiple HD DVD is not a bad thing. As for the price, I don't see why there would be an increase above 60$.

thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thirstychainsaw
[QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="Redfingers"][QUOTE="mattyomo99"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

period

mattyomo99

you must own a 360 then

period

how can you sit at ur computer and say that a disk that holds 50gb makes equal games to a disk that holds 10gb

PC games still are using CDs...:|

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Redfingers

Really? I thought he was promoting blu ray.

qead

I think he was right and you were wrong. Look to the content of my post and the context of my post to discover more about what you're wrong about. For answers to your "Xbox 360 versus Playstation 3," questions, see my response above.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Redfingers
[QUOTE="OldParr"]

Unstoppable_1

Gears of War was waay too short. High detail graphics on HD DVD format equals less game length. Also Epic did not have enough time. Believe it or not they were pressured by Bill Gates to release for Fall. Hence the November 7 release date. Now that they have proven themselves, having blu-ray would not hurt them, rather help them. However the 360 is HD DVD. Having multiple HD DVD is not a bad thing. As for the price, I don't see why there would be an increase above 60$.

Problem with your post: the 360 has a DVD drive, not an HD-DVD drive. The HD-DVD drive is an add-on and costs $200. It only plays high definition movies, not games.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wavebrid
[QUOTE="mattyomo99"][QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="Redfingers"][QUOTE="mattyomo99"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

period

thirstychainsaw

you must own a 360 then

period

PC games still are using CDs...:|

dont bother there too manny cows on this fourm supporting blu-ray they make the most non- snese crap up