Bloomberg: Switch 2 has an 8 inch LCD screen!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45122 Posts

https://www.eurogamer.net/treat-yourself-with-eight-inches-of-lcd-on-switch-2-report-says

Nintendo's Switch 2 will feature an eight-inch LCD screen, according to a new report.

Bloomberg today said that Nintendo's next console will feature the company's largest screen size ever, according to an analyst with knowledge of the supply chain. But it will be LCD, rather than OLED - a decision which will help keep costs down.

To compare, the Switch OLED features a seven-inch screen. The original Switch model features a 6.2-inch screen. Nintendo declined to comment when contacted regarding the report.

Nintendo Switch 2 is one of the games industry's worst kept secrets at this point. Last week, a GDC report revealed hundreds of developers were working on projects for the unannounced console. Last year, Eurogamer reported that Nintendo Switch 2 hardware capabilities were being showcased to developers last summer around Gamescom.

Officially, Nintendo has issued a blanket denial to address various reports that have mapped out the company's ongoing march towards its inevitable Switch successor. That included a denial of it sharing Switch 2 details with Activision Blizzard at the end of 2022 - something the company's former boss Bobby Kotick discussed at the time, per an email that came to light during court proceeding

What do you think, SW? Is 8 inches enough? The Portal is 8 inches and I think it's very nice.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26100 Posts

Seems overkill.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69492 Posts

Switch 2 is exclusively a tablet.😎

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts

Bait & Switch Too. Nuff said. lol :P

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5885 Posts

I think this is a good idea.

Bigger device, bigger screen, more power.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46309 Posts

Bigger screen and even smaller controllers.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#7 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

Dont expect good quality on first release its nintendo they dont do loss making on consoles. Expecting underpowered, cheap tablet but its nintendo people somehow turn blind eye to obvious issues.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

If this is true, I hope they make a smaller version at some point.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Ehh, probably still pass.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

Wait, weren't people making fun of Portal for being LCD???

8 inches is a good size.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Willy105

@sakaixx: Nintendo is not going to make a $1000 tablet like Apple does.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46309 Posts

I want this screen back for nostalgia sake.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Meh...my switch oled collecting dust so, I'll probably pass on the next Nintendo console, or wait for that discount. We all know its going to be on the level of Xbox one, a 2013 console but in 2025. Let that sink in for a minute.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

I don't think I can go back to an LCD after experiencing an OLED.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1057 Posts

There's a good and bad side to it, battery consumption could be higher and it's less portable. I'm a little surprised it isn't OLED, won't fans of the newer Switch model think it's a downgrade?

Hopefully they make a smaller Lite version for people who want a smaller one, and don't unnecessarily limit it by disabling video out.

Having both options would be good.

Maybe this means the current Joy Cons might not be able to physically connect to the device?

@blaznwiipspman1: I have the same issue with my Switch, and I'm thinking the same thing, but they will probably launch with Metroid Prime 4 or some other anticipated title. (I hope they don't kill that game with the same style combat as Dread)

I don't feel like dealing with snipers that will stockpile launch systems for profit though so I'll probably wait anyway.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Willy105

@blaznwiipspman1: It's a handheld, that achievement is what Apple is boasting about with their latest iPhone, which is far more expensive. If Nintendo can provide that power for a quarter of the price, that would be a major technological achievement.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44185 Posts

Nice. That’s a pretty good size in my opinion.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@Chutebox said:

Wait, weren't people making fun of Portal for being LCD???

8 inches is a good size.

The Portal’s LCD is acrually nice, but yeah, that was one of the things that came up.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

@Pedro said:

Switch 2 is exclusively a tablet.😎

That would be funny :P.

Anywho 8 inches: i would like it personally. I'd even like to see a 10 or 12" version. For pottering about a place, size is not that important. The current switch is not exactly pocket friendly anyway so...meh.

However i have my doubts on this one for a couple of reasons:

1) The device will be too big and heavy and cumbersome for children.

2) Cost. Nintendo will want to keep the BOM as low as possible.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

Wow what would just 1 inch more of screen would do? Big Woop. And it’s not even Oled.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

The bigger the screen, easier it'll be to notice how far behind Nintendo's visuals are. I expect portable mode to be in 800p, and without anti aliasing (Nintendo hasn't discovered this technology yet), it'll be a mess.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@girlusocrazy: whatever they release, I will wait. F Nintendo and their 15 year old hardware. I don't agree with hardwenzen on a lot of things, but sadly he's right about Nintendo on their backward 2013 level hardware.

Also I'm looking forward to mp4 too, and absolutely enjoyed dread. I still want mp4 to be 3d though like you, and hope they make a sequel to dread too.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blaznwiipspman1

@Willy105: why compare to the low shit bar that is apple? Let's compare to the steam deck...selling for $399, 256gb model. Nintendo has been distracing themselves for a while.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hardwenzen

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

whatever they release, I will wait. F Nintendo and their 15 year old hardware. I don't agree with hardwenzen on a lot of things, but sadly he's right about Nintendo on their backward 2013 level hardware.

Also I'm looking forward to mp4 too, and absolutely enjoyed dread. I still want mp4 to be 3d though like you, and hope they make a sequel to dread too.

What the **** did you just say, buddy? You're supposed to be a sheep, remember? The Switch is from 2004 hardware wise, and your Switch 2 might reach 2010 standards (if very lucky). This is good enough. Remember, little colorful games aimed at children don't need photorealistic visuals, so you'll be more than fine with visuals close to the original Xbone, running at the same mid 20's fps.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hardwenzen
@Willy105 said:

@blaznwiipspman1: It's a handheld, that achievement is what Apple is boasting about with their latest iPhone, which is far more expensive. If Nintendo can provide that power for a quarter of the price, that would be a major technological achievement.

Your sheepness is showing in that statement. An iphone is not built for gaming, its just one of the things its capable off of. Do you know want else its able to do? Almost everything a pc can. What do you expect to be able to do on a Nintendo handheld that will launch at no more than $399.99? Be glad it comes with an internet browser, Nintendo might remove the feature "to protect children from predators".🥴

You will get an extremely underpowered system, and that is perfectly fine because they've been conditioning you to accept the bottom of the barrel FOR GENERATIONS. Y'all be fine🙃

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2140 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

But it will be LCD, rather than OLED - a decision which will help keep costs down.

More like a decision that will allow them to sell twice to idiots when they release an OLED update.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3407 Posts

I care very little about the screen tbh. 80% of the time will be used as a home console.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Willy105

@blaznwiipspman1: The Steam Deck is exactly what the next Nintendo system will be compared to.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

My girl said she likes the 8" size

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 508 Posts

Steam Deck was hated on for having a LCD screen when the Switch OLED came out. Then Steam Deck released the OLED and shut that argument down. Then the MSI Claw, ROG Ally and Legion Go release with LCD screens, but with far more power to support higher resolution and frame rates. Now Nintendo's going back to LCD to cut costs. I tell you, the handheld scene is definitely far more interesting now with some competition than when it was just Nintendo. Hopefully we will see another Palworld situation where the industry leader gets worried because the little guy is forcing them to innovate.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blaznwiipspman1

@Willy105 said:

@blaznwiipspman1: The Steam Deck is exactly what the next Nintendo system will be compared to.

how does it feel that now nintendo is back peddling to LCD for the next switch? Isn't this just a way for them to double dip? Disgusting practice if you ask me...sell an LCD model to start, then in 2 or 3 years sell the OLED model.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hardwenzen
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@Willy105 said:

how does it feel that now nintendo is back peddling to LCD for the next switch? Isn't this just a way for them to double dip? Disgusting practice if you ask me...sell an LCD model to start, then in 2 or 3 years sell the OLED model.

With the omega outdated tech that's gonna be inside the system, they're guaranteed to be making money per system sold even with an oled screen, but because Nintendo wants to make an insane amount (compared to the other two) per system sold, they downgrade to an lcd screen for about 2 years, and then launch the oled version when their potato specs are even cheaper than they aready are, and of course, millennials can't just stop themselves, double dipping as well.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58319 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@Willy105 said:

Yeah, I feel like if there was already a Switch 2 that'd be OK, but this is an entirely new product. With a new assembly line. With a design drawn up when there are plenty of OLED options available to use in manufacturing.

Seems like a dick move on Nintendo's part, but that's Nintendo for you; they know they have their fans by the short hairs, and those fans will take anything Nintendo gives them.

The thing better be <$400, I can't imagine it will be a beast of a system.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blaznwiipspman1

@hardwenzen: damn, hell must have frozen over. Nintendo is screwed with switch 2 if they just bring out an upgraded switch with a downgraded screen. People buy Nintendo systems for their innovative hardware that captures people's imagination, then they sell the games to those people as side effect of that. But nowadays we have steam deck, rog ally, lenovo legion go, etc etc. Even mobile phones are becoming more and more popular. We even have bootleg pokemon now. It's going to be interesting seeing Nintendo launched the switch 2.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blaznwiipspman1

@mrbojangles25: imagine Nintendo excuse, they would have to sacrifice the power of the hardware to bring in an oled at launch...like it isn't going to be a potato anyways.

The switch 2 better have some amazing ar glasses as an add on...or some other gimmick.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidGame_basic

Switch 2 and PS5 Pro in the same year.. would be amazing!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#37 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69492 Posts

The Switch 2 has been leaked.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

What a ridiculous regression.

The Switch 2 should have a 1080p/90hz OLED screen. And come with the latest Nvidia chip so it can use DLSS3.5

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

I'd rather it shrink somewhat, personally.

Handheld is not what is lacking, it's the living room setup that needs an upgrade.