BioShock...best game THIS GENERATION SO FAR.

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts

I just finished BioShock last night, and I have to say...

...I can't look at a shooter the same way now. I will now always crave an atmosphere like the one Rapture privides. A game that actually makes you scared not because things are jumping out, but becuse the space you are in is so depressing and abandoned of all happiness. A game like BioShock only comes out once a generation, so I beg anyone who enjoys gaming to find a way to play this masterpiece. If you own a 360, or your PC is up to snuff, then GET THIS GAME.

rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rocktimusprime
Member since 2006 • 3721 Posts
Its the best FPS thus far, but I think Oblivion is right there with it.
emawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 emawk
Member since 2004 • 1820 Posts
It's the best game so far on most gaming sites.
Mr47fitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mr47fitter
Member since 2007 • 2273 Posts
Great game
GazzaB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 GazzaB
Member since 2004 • 27139 Posts
Completely agree. Just finished it about an hour ago.
6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts
i agree but i agree with some of GS's points.
Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts
I just got to the plot twist i love the enviorment to. It brings you into the game as well if not better than the half life series.
DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts
absolutely incredible
leejohnson7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 leejohnson7
Member since 2007 • 2909 Posts
The graphics and art style don't make games the best ever, when are you people going to learn this. Bioshock essentially played like condemned under the influence of something (forgive my harsh opinion).
Finale-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Finale-
Member since 2007 • 981 Posts
Indeed. Hope there is a sequal, so more potential there for another game.
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

Best FPS: BioShock

Best RPG: Oblivion

Best Shooter: Gears

Anything else doesn't stand out like these two games. But Crysis, FF13, Halo 3, COD4, and Mass Effect may change this.

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 6matt6

it was amazing but the end let me down.

the story started losing its magic after the big twist(which was too obvious btw)

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I told myself I'd wait until the new year before getting a 360 and I'll stick with that but its hard. Will definitely pick it up with Mass Effect. Tried the PC demo to no avail, you need shader 3.0 just to see the mouse pointer on the bloody menu.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

Anyone who disagrees is I ask: would you kindly name a better game?

BillGreen68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BillGreen68
Member since 2004 • 12361 Posts
Bioshock was a good game, but I'm definitely not into it as much as everyone else.
CrazyyyDylan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CrazyyyDylan
Member since 2007 • 726 Posts

Best Shooter: Half Life 2

Anything else doesn't stand out like these two games. But Crysis, FF13, Halo 3, COD4, and Mass Effect may change this.

TREAL_Since

Fixed. GeOW was one of the worst letdowns in history.

COBHC_reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 COBHC_reaper
Member since 2006 • 1793 Posts

I agree it'sso originial

Gears of War like everyone says is the best so far, as well as Oblivion(both scored 9.6

but I've had ALOT more fun with BioShock for 12 hours versus the twelve hours I spent in Gears of Oblivion

Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 Prid3r
Member since 2004 • 8643 Posts
I agree , Bioshock is easely in my top 5 best game of all time now .
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NAPK1NS
Yeah, the ending was dissapointing. It put a pretty bad taste in my mouth, but then I looked back on all the horrifyingliy amazing moments that took place, and I cut it the slack it deserved. :)
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

the story started losing its magic after the big twist(which was too obvious btw)

6matt6
What? Would you kindly tell me what was wrong with the twist?
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts

The graphics and art style don't make games the best ever, when are you people going to learn this. Bioshock essentially played like condemned under the influence of something (forgive my harsh opinion).leejohnson7

I entirely disagree. I'll take an atmospheric and intelligent game like Bioshock over a well balanced and well executed but shallower Halo/WarHawk/DMC/etc any day.

ganon546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ganon546
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
I'm not arguing with that.
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TREAL_Since
[QUOTE="TREAL_Since"]

CrazyyyDylan

OMG! I forgot about HL2. Please forgive me Valve!!!

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NAPK1NS

[QUOTE="leejohnson7"]The graphics and art style don't make games the best ever, when are you people going to learn this. Bioshock essentially played like condemned under the influence of something (forgive my harsh opinion).mattbbpl

I entirely disagree. I'll take an atmospheric and intelligent game like Bioshock over a well balanced and well executed but shallower Halo/WarHawk/DMC/etc any day.

Sorry, I only take opinions from people who have actually played it. I'm going to assume you haven't.

P.S. Condemned is one of the best games ever. :|

darkodonnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 darkodonnie
Member since 2007 • 2384 Posts

I think Bioshock is the best I've played this gen (obviously haven't gotten Metroid Prime 3 yet, so I can't comment on that) it beats out Gears, Oblivion, and Twilight Princess which are basically the only competition it has had for that title other than Metroid Prime 3

but I still think that this is only beacuse of the lack of excellent games so far this gen, and I think that with Crysis, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Rock Band, Mario Galaxy, SSBB, and Phantom Hourglass all releasing this year it has a very good chance of being dethroned from GOTG so far imo

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 6matt6
[QUOTE="6matt6"]

htekemerald

i will

*WARNING SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT*

atlas being the villian? if you didnt see that from the start i must ask would you kindly jump on the clue train? :P and after that i expected a few more twist and turns BUT it became a generic *chase the bad guy and kill him* thing. the atmosphere was great though so it didn't feel too cruddy.

/END spoilers.

i still rate this as best game of this generation.

Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Prid3r

Yeah, the ending was dissapointing. It put a pretty bad taste in my mouth, but then I looked back on all the horrifyingliy amazing moments that took place, and I cut it the slack it deserved. :) NAPK1NS

well.....I liked the ending ...... the good one that is :P .

BillGreen68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BillGreen68
Did Bioshock really scare people?
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
The graphics and art style don't make games the best ever, when are you people going to learn this. Bioshock essentially played like condemned under the influence of something (forgive my harsh opinion).leejohnson7
Ok, I enjoyed Condemned, and BioShock, and BioShock is nothing like it, aside from the fact you sometimes use melee...
leejohnson7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 leejohnson7

[QUOTE="leejohnson7"]The graphics and art style don't make games the best ever, when are you people going to learn this. Bioshock essentially played like condemned under the influence of something (forgive my harsh opinion).mattbbpl

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been able to get a gaming fix sinse the release of Gears (and that was singleplayer only up until april). I played the demo of Bioshock and It looked amazing, but there was no way ever I was going to go and buy it over that, and I had seen all that kind of 'creepiness' and violence of the enemies in condemned, and didn't find myself too bothered by anything, but more of a "ohh... yeah thats nice, thats interesting, ohh the water is good, shame about the combat though".

Avatar image for brightshadow525
brightshadow525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 brightshadow525
Member since 2006 • 1149 Posts
I still think it's too bad that Gamespot doesn't agree with you or the rest of the world. *sigh* They'll never learn. Oh well.
BillGreen68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BillGreen68

[QUOTE="leejohnson7"]The graphics and art style don't make games the best ever, when are you people going to learn this. Bioshock essentially played like condemned under the influence of something (forgive my harsh opinion).wemhim
Ok, I enjoyed Condemned, and BioShock, and BioShock is nothing like it, aside from the fact you sometimes use melee...

Electricity combined with the wrench reminded me of Condemned.

Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Prid3r
[QUOTE="htekemerald"][QUOTE="6matt6"]

6matt6

i will

*WARNING SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT*

atlas being the villian? if you didnt see that from the start i must ask would you kindly jump on the clue train? :P and after that i expected a few more twist and turns BUT it became a generic *chase the bad guy and kill him* thing. the atmosphere was great though so it didn't feel too cruddy.

/END spoilers.

i still rate this as best game of this generation.

lol , that only one twist .

warning ... Complete spoiler :

[spoiler] Knowing that Atlas is fontaine ( who had a face change and was supposed to be dead in 1958 assault by Ryan ) , and that Ryan is ur father but rejected u . and that ur the one that crashed the plane . also that fontaine was ur foster father and is using mind control on u , "Would you kindly" thingy . the storyline get really insane ..... I love it ^^ [/spoiler]

MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MADVLAD123
Member since 2005 • 6053 Posts

I think the good ending is the best and most emotional ending.

I also think that the game should have ended faster. I mean after the big reveal and twist, I had to go through some more levels and I was kind of worn out by then. I kinda wanted to finish it since I had already worked so hard.

But still, great game. My favorite parts were:

[spoiler] Central rapture control where you meet Andrew Ryan and the "Would you Kindly.." thing is explained (really cool), All the Big Daddy battles, Fighting off Cohen's splicers after he gets angry that you don't like his masterpiece (compete with the great classical music), and the ending (and the fight against Fontaine) [/spoiler]

Avatar image for LegendofYaslint
LegendofYaslint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#37 LegendofYaslint
Member since 2004 • 2798 Posts
[QUOTE="TREAL_Since"]

CrazyyyDylan

Calling gears one of the worst letdowns in history makes a huge joke out of your "unbias gamer" sig. That or you are just simple minded enough to actually think your opinion > most opinions. Which is it?

GeoW is up there w/ HL2 and Bioshock in terms of presentation and exciting new gameplay styles. Anyone who can't see this is missing the point of the game.

Cycloptis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cycloptis
Member since 2004 • 18249 Posts

Did Bioshock really scare people? BillGreen68

Aside from the one or two cheap scares, I felt very comfortable in Rapture. System Shock 2 had a far more daunting atmosphere for me.

evilbarbarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 evilbarbarian
Member since 2005 • 3883 Posts
I still haven't gotten to play it, yet.
leejohnson7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 leejohnson7
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]

[QUOTE="leejohnson7"]The graphics and art style don't make games the best ever, when are you people going to learn this. Bioshock essentially played like condemned under the influence of something (forgive my harsh opinion).NAPK1NS

Sorry, I only take opinions from people who have actually played it. I'm going to assume you haven't.

I have played it, the demo, which is what its for, to demostrate the game somewhat. I enjoyed it less than condemned, but liked the special effects, but again, why would I buy a game to watch nice things when thats what CGI films are for.

P.S. You added that indifferent smiley likecondemned was obviously one of the best games ever (scoring an 8. 'something' ), which may be in your opinion, but its anything but obvious common knowledge.

As for the other guy... the combat in general, (other thanpowers in Bioshock obviously) like shooting as well as meleefelt like it was inspired right out of condemned to me (and it was just as difficult to hit moving enemies). Also another clue is how the enemies fight, their animations look like those in condemned when meleeing.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts
Agreed.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
I have to admit it is rather awesome.
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NAPK1NS
[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"]

[QUOTE="leejohnson7"]The graphics and art style don't make games the best ever, when are you people going to learn this. Bioshock essentially played like condemned under the influence of something (forgive my harsh opinion).leejohnson7

I have played it, the demo, which is what its for, to demostrate the game somewhat. I enjoyed it less than condemned, but liked the special effects, but again, why would I buy a game to watch nice things when thats what CGI films are for.

P.S. You added that indifferent smiley likecondemned was obviously one of the best games ever (scoring an 8. 'something' ), which may be in your opinion, but its anything but obvious common knowledge.

As for the other guy... the combat in general, (other thanpowers in Bioshock obviously) like shooting as well as meleefelt like it was inspired right out of condemned to me (and it was just as difficult to hit moving enemies). Also another clue is how the enemies fight, their animations look like those in condemned when meleeing.

Alright, well coming from someone who has finished and owns both games: BioShock is nothing like Condemned. BioShock is first, and foremost a FPS. Also, I don't go by scores to determine my favorates.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I finished it it 2 days back and felt exactly the same.
rond5566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 rond5566
Member since 2004 • 601 Posts
I agree, but only for 3 more months until Mass Effect comes out
jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 jfkunrendered
Member since 2005 • 8298 Posts
The graphics and the art style are great. The game sort of reminds me of RE4 with the weapon upgrades and searching for stuff. But yeah, its a real good game. But I think Mass Effect will be better.
Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

Did Bioshock really scare people? BillGreen68

It had some scary moments, especially at the first two levels, the introduction to the Houdinis was a tense moment, but not much after for the rest of Arcadia and the Farmer's Market. Fort Frolic brought back the scary atmosphere with silent Spiders that look like statues and a certain spoiler. Hephaestus marked the point where the game started to lose it's touch IMO. The plot twist could be seen coming if you pay attention to certain audio logs. Olympus Heights and Point Prometheus lost the touch but had a nice gameplay twist until you completed the objectives there. The final levels didn't do much to me and the final fight was rather disappointing in difficulty, but the good ending is rewarding.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TREAL_Since

Its the best FPS thus far, but I think Oblivion is right there with it.rocktimusprime

Yeah, it's definitely the best FPS by far, but I still think that Oblivion is the best game this gen overall :).

Fruity_mixer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Fruity_mixer
Member since 2005 • 1227 Posts
I do not agree. Bioshock is a good game, but i found it a bitboring. The actual shooter aspect of tha game is a bit weak, and it gets repedative. The story is a bit hard to make out throught these audio message, and when you do it is nothing special. Through the whole game i never felt scared. I RLY liked the artstyle, voice acting and pace of the game tho. It is deffenatly worth playing, and it is deffenatly worth having in your collection, but it is nt as great as people say it is. 9.0 is a very acurate score.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts

Its the best FPS thus far, but I think Oblivion is right there with it.rocktimusprime

Morrowind was/is better than Oblivion.