Big interview with Crytek about piracy on PC, CryEngine 3 on consoles and PC

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

A big interview with Crytek regarding CryEngine 3.

Some highlights:

PC Play: A question regarding CryEngine 2. Can you tell us how well did it go with licensing, and did it satisfied your expectations at that matter?

Carl Jones:Licensing a PC-only engine was made difficult in the last few years due to the changing nature of the games market itself. Piracy hurt PC-only games in terms of sales figures, so publishers and developers moved away from making such titles. As a result, console middleware was more widespread than PC focused technology such as CryENGINE 1 and 2, but we have had some great successes and developers are working on great looking games that will launch soon, that started out on earlier versions of CryENGINE.We're happy with the quality we achieved, but circumstances limited the quantity of licensees we signed up. That won't be an issue with CryENGINE 3!

PC Play:Can you tell us something about sheer hardware power of today's consoles, specifically PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360? How much are you able to squeeze out of them with CryEngine 3?

Carl Jones:Always for Crytek, the PC will be the highest performing platform and CryENGINE 3 is no exception - simply because PC technology has upgraded several times during the life cycle of the console. Having said that, we're delighted with the performance we're achieving on PS3 and Xbox 360 - we can run massive worlds at incredibly high quality on both platforms. We're confident we're going to set a new benchmark for what is possible in the current console generation.

PC Play: In CryEngine 3 demo we've seen even more destructible environment than it was the case with CryEngine 2. What level of destructibility does it offer? Will we be, for example, able to destroy entire buildings, skyscrapers and similar stuff?

Carl Jones: In CryENGINE® 3 you can destroy anything you want to build as destructible. We have a procedural system that can be used on any material in the game, as well as more traditional asset-based destruction. Procedural destruction is more expensive in processing power, so we tend to recommend using it when you want the player to control the destruction precisely. But with the latest hardware, blowing up a skyscraper using full procedural physics would definitely be possible!

PC Play: Since multiplatform games are what many publishers want nowadays, how are they easy to make with CryEngine 3 and how compatible is CryEngine 3 between target platforms? More specifically, if PC is a lead platform of my game, but I want it to be on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 also (and vice versa), how easy is the process of porting with CryEngine 3?

Carl Jones: With CryENGINE® 3 – you don't really port to each supported platform – you build your game to run on CryENGINE® 3 and it will run on PS®3, Xbox 360™ and PC. Your lead platform is now simply a matter of design – not a requirement to favour one development approach over another due to technical limitations. There are differences between the platforms, but these are easy to play with in Sandbox and CryENGINE® 3, allowing you to mix and match solutions, asset quality and quantity to get the best results on each.

Whole interview - here.

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
Straight from the horses mouth. :P It's not surprising, they seem more optimistic about also having CryEngine 3 on the consoles. I hope it does well for them.
joshkleinwaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 joshkleinwaks
Member since 2007 • 149 Posts

sweet dude cant wait :)

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nmaharg
Member since 2004 • 3285 Posts

I dont even think they care much about crysis 2. They just want to be the next epic with an engine like unreal 3.

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

But isnt piracy really huge on the 360? I doubt its that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

shutdown_202
yeah, but they shut down the people that try to play online... and playing online is what people like to do with shooters. they don't really care if they lose some single player market
suntaice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 suntaice
Member since 2006 • 786 Posts

Seems like they are shifting more to consoles, kind of sad in my opinion.

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts

shutdown_202
Define "really huge". I like when people try to compare PC piracy to the 360. Either way games still tend to sell more on the 360.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

The fact that developers haven't choose Cry Engine 2 licensing has nothing to do with piracy, but with the multiplatform format the gaming industry has taken or because they developed their own technology. If piracy is moving away developers from PC, why the platform receive more and more support every year? Why PC has more third party exclusives than any other platform?

They are just upset with the lack of Cry Engine 2 licenses. Crytek can't complain about Crysis'sales.

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

Jandurin

yeah, but they shut down the people that try to play online... and playing online is what people like to do with shooters. they don't really care if they lose some single player market

Heeeeeeeeey.

Ah ok. I guess thats right as i doubt anyone buys games like MW for the campaign.

TBh i thought it was more of a scapegoat so a dev could deliver a lesser experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

Heeeeeeeeey.

Ah ok. I guess thats right as i doubt anyone buys games like MW for the campaign.

TBh i thought it was more of a scapegoat so a dev could deliver a lesser experience.

haha ;) I dunno. you hear enough devs complain, maybe they're being serious
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

I still say their piracy complaints are nonsense.

Look at Crytek's activity the last few years, that money had to have come from somewhere, they are hardly behaving like a company whose main source of income was a game hurt by piracy.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Nvidia and Intel financially support Crytek, because their games push hardware more than any other.

They are partners with many other institutions, including universities and banks. CE2 wasn't licensed for many commercial games, but it was very successful in the academic environment and as a tool for graphical simulations.

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts

Look at Crytek's activity the last few years, that money had to have come from somewhere, they are hardly behaving like a company whose main source of income was a game hurt by piracy.

AnnoyedDragon
I still think more devs should follow Stardock's example - one of the most surprisingly well-selling games of 2008 had no DRM. While Spore was pirated like crazy by people who brought the game but didn't like it's stupid DRM.
Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bus-A-Bus
Member since 2009 • 5089 Posts

I knew it,i knew it :D they gonna set the benchmark for console graphics,yes yes :) i just hope pc gets fair treatment and that it looks and plays great.

GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts

suntaice
Crytek moving to consoles? bhahahah :lol: if they were moving to consoles, they wouldn't have a separate team in london to make the inferior console version, whilst keeping the original team to make the PC version.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

[QUOTE="suntaice"]

GTR2addict

Crytek moving to consoles? bhahahah :lol: if they were moving to consoles, they wouldn't have a separate team in london to make the inferior console version, whilst keeping the original team to make the PC version.

Ok, as much as I would like to point out the Crytek isn't "shifting to consoles(merely doing both with the PC still as their lead platform)," if anyone else tries to say that Crytek UK was purchased just for console development, I am going to blow a gasket. Crytek UK was purchased completely independent of the decision to do console development at Crytek. Also, you SERIOUSLY underestimate the size of their Frankfurt Studio, as well as underestimating the size of the Kiev and Budapest Studios.

Frankfurt employs enough people to work on 2 AAA games simultaneously, completely multiplatform(over 300 people employed there). Kiev employs another 150 people, which is enough for multiplatform development on 1 AAA game. Budapest was only 75 people last time they released figures about it, but that is still enough for multiplatform development. And their UK studio is over 100 people now. And Black Sea is around 100 people....

Frankfurt started working on CE3 and Crysis a couple YEARS before they purchased Free Radical. CE3 was shown a couple months after Free Radical was purchased. you would have to be completely delusional to think that in a couple month Free Radical completed an entire engine showcase.

Crytek UK has absolutely NOTHING to do with their decision to go multiplatform. And their Frankfurt team(as well as teams at Kiev, Budapest and Black Sea) are all perfectly well equipped for multiplatform development and are almost certainly involved in it... Crytek UK is working on their own projects, not ports of games from the other studios.

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts

[QUOTE="GTR2addict"][QUOTE="suntaice"]

KingsMessenger

Ok, as much as I would like to point out the Crytek isn't "shifting to consoles(merely doing both with the PC still as their lead platform)," if anyone else tries to say that Crytek UK was purchased just for console development, I am going to blow a gasket. Crytek UK was purchased completely independent of the decision to do console development at Crytek. Also, you SERIOUSLY underestimate the size of their Frankfurt Studio, as well as underestimating the size of the Kiev and Budapest Studios.

Frankfurt employs enough people to work on 2 AAA games simultaneously, completely multiplatform(over 300 people employed there). Kiev employs another 150 people, which is enough for multiplatform development on 1 AAA game. Budapest was only 75 people last time they released figures about it, but that is still enough for multiplatform development. And their UK studio is over 100 people now. And Black Sea is around 100 people....

Frankfurt started working on CE3 and Crysis a couple YEARS before they purchased Free Radical. CE3 was shown a couple months after Free Radical was purchased. you would have to be completely delusional to think that in a couple month Free Radical completed an entire engine showcase.

Crytek UK has absolutely NOTHING to do with their decision to go multiplatform. And their Frankfurt team(as well as teams at Kiev, Budapest and Black Sea) are all perfectly well equipped for multiplatform development and are almost certainly involved in it... Crytek UK is working on their own projects, not ports of games from the other studios.

Good points, but it doesnt change the fact that Crytek shifted the console development to Crytek UK while Crytek Germany concentrates on the pc version. Crytek Germany are also making the editor.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

That's cool, they also said they were going to set the bar in terms of console visuals.. we shall see.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KingsMessenger

Good points, but it doesnt change the fact that Crytek shifted the console development to Crytek UK while Crytek Germany concentrates on the pc version. Crytek Germany are also making the editor.ducati101

Console development was not shifted to Crytek UK...

Crytek Frankfurt is doing all versions of Crysis 2. Crytek UK is working on an entirely separate product.

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts

[QUOTE="ducati101"] Good points, but it doesnt change the fact that Crytek shifted the console development to Crytek UK while Crytek Germany concentrates on the pc version. Crytek Germany are also making the editor.KingsMessenger

Console development was not shifted to Crytek UK...

Crytek Frankfurt is doing all versions of Crysis 2. Crytek UK is working on an entirely separate product.

Fine if thats what you believe, i rather take my info from the horses mouth so to speak.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

ducati101

Fine if thats what you believe, i rather take my info from the horses mouth so to speak.

What are you talking about? Crytek said they have a special project for Crytek UK that WASN'T Crysis 2. KM was right. :|

DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 DeckardLee
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

That's cool, they also said they were going to set the bar in terms of console visuals.. we shall see.

Espada12

The demo already shows that they have.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

DeckardLee

A tech demo isn't a game.

DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 DeckardLee
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

[QUOTE="DeckardLee"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

A tech demo isn't a game.

Exactly. The final game will look better. If the tech demo already looks better even with a decent amount of AI on the map then the final game will blow away other console "kings".

ZuljinRaynor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ZuljinRaynor
Member since 2005 • 1310 Posts

Now if only Crytek could deliver in the gameplay departement........

GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts

ZuljinRaynor
Lol. I have nothing else to say. Crysis won SEVERAL gameplay awards, i'll leave it at that because i'm sick of explaining to pople why crysis' gameplay is superior to every fps on consoles and probably pc
Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

ZuljinRaynor

Oh right, they forgot that 91 Metacritic and 9.5/10 Gamespot is a total failure. :roll:

ZuljinRaynor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ZuljinRaynor

[QUOTE="ZuljinRaynor"]

GTR2addict

Lol. I have nothing else to say. Crysis won SEVERAL gameplay awards, i'll leave it at that because i'm sick of explaining to pople why crysis' gameplay is superior to every fps on consoles and probably pc

Awards don't mean anything in the end really. While miles ahead of Far Cry, which is one of the worst FPS experiences I've ever had, Crysis got really bad once aliens showed up. Before the aliens it was awesome. Everything about the gameplay was fun. When the aliens showed up, it turned into a linear shooter. Thankfully Crysis had more of the jungle stuff, and while Warhead improved everything they threw the Aliens in way to fast. Quite frankly the Alien ships was one of the worst levels ever. Pretty and stunning but a pain in the ass.

Avatar image for SquatsAreAwesom
SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SquatsAreAwesom
Member since 2009 • 1678 Posts
[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

Jandurin

They shut down like 5%. It was a marketing ploy. Most firmware hackers are still doing as they do.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="GTR2addict"][QUOTE="ZuljinRaynor"]

ZuljinRaynor

Awards don't mean anything in the end really. While miles ahead of Far Cry, which is one of the worst FPS experiences I've ever had, Crysis got really bad once aliens showed up. Before the aliens it was awesome. Everything about the gameplay was fun. When the aliens showed up, it turned into a linear shooter. Thankfully Crysis had more of the jungle stuff, and while Warhead improved everything they threw the Aliens in way to fast. Quite frankly the Alien ships was one of the worst levels ever. Pretty and stunning but a pain in the ass.

For what it was, it was extremely well structured. If those exact sames sequences(minus the flying level) had been in say Half-Life 2: Episode 2, with the aliens swapped with something from the Half-Life universe, then people would have nothing but praise for those levels.

The issue was that it was a completely departure from the entire rest of the gameplay within Crysis.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
lets look at the gamespot scores farcry- 9.2 crysis- 9.5 crysis warhead-9 clearly crytek has to get there act together for crysis 2 to as all there games have been poorly rated...
ZuljinRaynor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ZuljinRaynor

For what it was, it was extremely well structured. If those exact sames sequences(minus the flying level) had been in say Half-Life 2: Episode 2, with the aliens swapped with something from the Half-Life universe, then people would have nothing but praise for those levels.

The issue was that it was a completely departure from the entire rest of the gameplay within Crysis.

KingsMessenger

Well, the Xen levels got flack in Half-Life 1 so I'm pretty sure if the same stuff was thrown in Half-Life 2 people wouldn't be creaming themselves over it. Though I didn't find Xen as annyoing as the ship in Crysis. I probably spent an hour in there. If more of the game was fighting the North Koreans and actually using tactics than just going down a path and shooting Octabrains that shoot ice, I might've enjoyed the second half more. The first half of the game was fantastic though.

lets look at the gamespot scores farcry- 9.2 crysis- 9.5 crysis warhead-9 clearly crytek has to get there act together for crysis 2 to as all there games have been poorly rated...johnny27

Like I said about awards, the same can be said for scores. I haven't met one person who's been playing PC games since Wolfenstein 3D, and who is not a reviewer, that's called Crysis great. Good, yes, but really the game is just the graphics. And overall score means the whole package and the graphics definately help keep the bad parts up, but seriously if they're gonna make the whole game like the second part of Crysis, forget it.

Plus most games do better with reviewers since reviewers are more bout the zing! of a game than the actual total package. Make me wonder why Quake Wars scored so well and flopped on the market.

What I'm really saying is that Crytek is full of themselves. They're not as good, or important, as they think and claim they are.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KingsMessenger

Well, the Xen levels got flack in Half-Life 1 so I'm pretty sure if the same stuff was thrown in Half-Life 2 people wouldn't be creaming themselves over it. Though I didn't find Xen as annyoing as the ship in Crysis. I probably spent an hour in there. If more of the game was fighting the North Koreans and actually using tactics than just going down a path and shooting Octabrains that shoot ice, I might've enjoyed the second half more. The first half of the game was fantastic though.

ZuljinRaynor

Are you kidding? The ship level in Crysis made it perfectly clear where you needed to go. The particle effects moved in the direction that you were supposed to move. The game even made a comment about how you should follow the direction of the "air flow." It is 100% your fault if you got lost there because they did EVERYTHING that they could have possibly done to show you what you were supposed to do.

The alien sections were DIFFERENT, but that doesn't make them bad. The fights themselves were well structured and effective, even if they were a different style of gameplay.

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts

Why PC has more third party exclusives than any other platform?

RyuRanVII

This is arguable. The PC has more third party exclusives because it is a single platform. You combine the exclusives of the 360 and PS3 however and you clearly have more console third party exclusives than PC exclusives.

Companies see consoles as a much larger piece of the pie, and the two platforms exclusives outweigh the PCs, which in a sense is always in a league of its own.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Crytek employs currently more than 500 people, with their main studios in Frankfurt, Kiev, Budapest -I used to think that the ones at the Black Sea were the same) and now also in UK. Frankfurt is focused in Crysis 2 -all the 3 versions- while Kiev and Budapest are developing their own projects. I think that the Kiev one is a MMORPG called "Kingdoms" and the drakkar viking ship at the end of the CE3 tech demo is stuff from these game, based on some interviews with the developers.

So, Crytek is already working in at least 3 por 4 games at time -I supoect about Crytek UK doing their own new project-.

About the aliens, I found fun fighting against they, but mainly the smaller ones, because the hunters are too big and static, but the drpomes are cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B4O1jiLVjY

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
CryoEngine 3 is seemingly like a Java JVM or the .NET framework in that it serves as an abstraction layer between your code and appropriates the its based on the platform you are running on. If this is the case, this is a HUGE deal.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#38 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
[QUOTE="organic_machine"]

[QUOTE="ducati101"][QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

What are you talking about? Crytek said they have a special project for Crytek UK that WASN'T Crysis 2. KM was right. :|

Crytek UK working on Battlefront 3 methinks
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

Jandurin

Playing online with Pirate games on PC ain easy either. ANd people didn't bought Crysis for the online experience anyway.
ZuljinRaynor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ZuljinRaynor

Are you kidding? The ship level in Crysis made it perfectly clear where you needed to go. The particle effects moved in the direction that you were supposed to move. The game even made a comment about how you should follow the direction of the "air flow." It is 100% your fault if you got lost there because they did EVERYTHING that they could have possibly done to show you what you were supposed to do.

The alien sections were DIFFERENT, but that doesn't make them bad. The fights themselves were well structured and effective, even if they were a different style of gameplay.

KingsMessenger

Meh, the ship was clear for the most part, but there were a few sections that really confused me. I mean the whole ship was one color basically so it would all meld together. Maybe playing it in 1080p would be more effective, but originally I played it in 1280x1024 and maybe that just wasn't clear enough.

The fights were alright with the aliens but they weren't mind blowing. It was rather simple kill and move down this path gameplay from there on. Not really groundbreaking. I would've forgiven it had it not been for the last boss though. That thing was awful. Now I have no problem with challenging bosses, but you know getting shot by all those aliens that keep coming while having to lock onto the boss wasn't very fun. Not to mention the AI buddies all die in two seconds cause they are completely idiots.

AnnoyedDragon

Also, wasn't Crytek accused of using PIRATED compies of software to make their games? I don't remember what happened to that but that's pretty hilarious in itself.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KingsMessenger

Meh, the ship was clear for the most part, but there were a few sections that really confused me. I mean the whole ship was one color basically so it would all meld together. Maybe playing it in 1080p would be more effective, but originally I played it in 1280x1024 and maybe that just wasn't clear enough.

The fights were alright with the aliens but they weren't mind blowing. It was rather simple kill and move down this path gameplay from there on. Not really groundbreaking. I would've forgiven it had it not been for the last boss though. That thing was awful. Now I have no problem with challenging bosses, but you know getting shot by all those aliens that keep coming while having to lock onto the boss wasn't very fun. Not to mention the AI buddies all die in two seconds cause they are completely idiots.

ZuljinRaynor

You sort of needed the right lighting conditions for the ship to work properly, but it was designed to be pretty clear where you were to go.

Also, the aliens weren't "groundbreaking" but the fights were well designed. The amount of cover and overall design of the areas allowed you to manage the overall pace of the battle, and the structure of how the enemies came at you was also well structured. It was extremely conventional, but there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. As I said before, had those sequences been in Half-Life 2: Episode 2, they would have been praised. But, they were in Crysis, and they were not really the same type of gameplay that the entire rest of the game had established.

The final boss was weak, but in general, the final levels were effective for what they were.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KingsMessenger

Also, wasn't Crytek accused of using PIRATED compies of software to make their games? I don't remember what happened to that but that's pretty hilarious in itself.

ZuljinRaynor

That was the excuse used by the German government to get permission to raid Crytek's headquarters, but they found nothing. The main reason that the German government did it was because they were angry about the depictions of violence within Crytek's games. The German government is stupid, and has been trying to drive FPS developers out of their country for years. Crytek nearly left Germany after that incident.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Crysis sold over 2 million copies on PC as an exclusive and that's not even including Warhead. Considering how horribly optimized it was for multicore processors, they should be happy. You needed multicore to play the game and they didn't optimize for it. They should be happy it sold 2+ million as it is. That's great sales.

Frankly, I still be buying Crysis 2 on PC. I'm not sure whether to blame Crytek or EA for pretending 2+ million is bad in sales.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#44 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts

I think they always planned to target consoles too whether there was piracy or not, it's the natural next step for any company that grows big enough without becoming a 1st/2nd party dev, which isn't even possible with PC.

Whatever they say about piracy, their growth has only been possible because of the success their games have enjoyed on PC, so I wish they wouldn't just take a crap on it with their future projects.

As for Crysis 2, we'll see, I'm sure it will be a good game with better sales than the previous one, but if they're expecting it to be the next Halo or CoD I think they might be in for a dissapointment.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

That sounds brilliant but I want to see more games from Crytek! I want to see games using the CryEngine 3! Most importantly, I want to see a new TimeSplitters!

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#46 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Crysis 2 should be graphics king, on PC and consoles going by that interview.:D

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

[QUOTE="RyuRanVII"]

Why PC has more third party exclusives than any other platform?

gamer620

This is arguable. The PC has more third party exclusives because it is a single platform. You combine the exclusives of the 360 and PS3 however and you clearly have more console third party exclusives than PC exclusives.

Companies see consoles as a much larger piece of the pie, and the two platforms exclusives outweigh the PCs, which in a sense is always in a league of its own.

Can you enlighten me why would that make sense?

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#48 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts

Crysis 2 should be graphics king, on PC and consoles going by that interview.:D

mitu123
Yeah, it is neat how they said they want to it be competing with everything else across all platforms they are deving for.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
I just wanna see the other games they're working on, would like a fantasy game please.
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Besides graphics-whore (PC gamers in general, including myself), Crysis is a freaking boring game. Crytek moving to console is not much of a big news really. You guys are really not missing anything. The game engine is sweet but easily distracts one's judgement of the overall game. At first I was like "wow omfg look at the forest!". Couple days later... "Super human vs entire enemy force... Been there done that."