Best Controllers - PS4 VS. XBOX ONE

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3-highlights-best-controllers-ps4-vs-xbox-one-6410598/

PS4

• Longer, textured handles
  • R2 and L2 triggers now concave
  • PS Move indicator between shoulders
  • Multi-touch surface that can recognize two fingers simultaneously and act as a clickable button
  • Microphone built into handset to be used with included headsets or 3rd party controllers
  • 'Start' and 'Select' are now 'Options' and 'Share' - Share ties into the social video functionality

Xbox One

• D-Pad significantly redesigned
  • Triggers now have localized rumble - very sensitive
  • Received a reduced power state - keeps controller connected while shutting off non-essential features to conserve battery

-__-

Both controllers are upgraded - with the DualShock receiving some much needed attention.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
Hard to offer an opinion without using both of them, but from the sound of things both are excellent. I don't think controllers are really going to be an issue this gen, if one turns out to be better than the other it will be very marginal.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
They do not look that different from last gen so just basing it off that I would much prefer the X1 controller. Thumbstick placement and general design I think it is much better on Xbox. My opinion could change with a hands on with each though.
legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 legalize82
Member since 2013 • 2293 Posts
ds4 ofcourse why is this a question
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
"R2 and L2 triggers now concave" F*cking finally.
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R3FURBISHED
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]"R2 and L2 triggers now concave" F*cking finally.

Damn straight
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts
:cool: DS4 FTW! DS4 has the best dpad in the history of gamepads and they've fixed the L2 and R2 triggers. It's now the perfect controller and that's without considering things like the cool touchpad and microphone. XBone's dpad still looks shit for fighting games (don't tell me to get a stick, I've tried them and I still prefer controllers)
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

Just look at this beauty:

dualshock-4-left-side-800x600.jpg

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Wii U gamepad

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 legalize82
Member since 2013 • 2293 Posts

Just look at this beauty:

dualshock-4-left-side-800x600.jpg

Davekeeh
u want me to jerk off ? wait no i have kinect 2.0
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The Xbox One controller was a damn fine looking controller, not going to lie.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts
Xbox, an improved 360 controller is going to top anything.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17464 Posts

:cool: DS4 FTW! DS4 has the best dpad in the history of gamepads and they've fixed the L2 and R2 triggers. It's now the perfect controller and that's without considering things like the cool touchpad and microphone. XBone's dpad still looks shit for fighting games (don't tell me to get a stick, I've tried them and I still prefer controllers)I_can_haz

Its damn near identical to the PS4s :|

I think you just hate the thing for the hell of it :|

dfsdf

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 I_can_haz
[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]http://icdn8.digitaltrends.com/image/dualshock-4-left-side-800x600.jpglegalize82
u want me to jerk off ? wait no i have kinect 2.0

Don't worry I won't look........
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R3FURBISHED
Xbox, an improved 360 controller is going to top anything.FPSfan1985
My opinion is the same
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I_can_haz

[QUOTE="I_can_haz"]:cool: DS4 FTW! DS4 has the best dpad in the history of gamepads and they've fixed the L2 and R2 triggers. It's now the perfect controller and that's without considering things like the cool touchpad and microphone. XBone's dpad still looks shit for fighting games (don't tell me to get a stick, I've tried them and I still prefer controllers)navyguy21

dfsdf

If that's "near identical" to you then you have no idea what you're talking about. The fact that the ends of the d-pad is not moulded into one unit at the middle is what makes the PS4 d-pad superior for fighting games. The current Xbone d-pad is like the Dreamcast's d-pad good but not nearly as accurate as the dualshock d-pads. The design of the d-pad allows you to do multi-directional inputs way more accurately than the Xbone's d-pad since each direction isn't connected at the center.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Im more excited to try DS4 than play any ps4 game on launch lol so DS4 easy
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Xbox d-pad still looks like shit :|

Can't MS do anything right?

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts
Can't wait to use the new XBone controller with my PC. The PS4 pad looks sexy though.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

[QUOTE="I_can_haz"]:cool: DS4 FTW! DS4 has the best dpad in the history of gamepads and they've fixed the L2 and R2 triggers. It's now the perfect controller and that's without considering things like the cool touchpad and microphone. XBone's dpad still looks shit for fighting games (don't tell me to get a stick, I've tried them and I still prefer controllers)I_can_haz

If that's "near identical" to you then you have no idea what you're talking about. The fact that the ends of the d-pad is not moulded into one unit at the middle is what makes the PS4 d-pad superior for fighting games. The current Xbone d-pad is like the Dreamcast's d-pad good but not nearly as accurate as the dualshock d-pads. The design of the d-pad allows you to do multi-directional inputs way more accurately than the Xbone's d-pad since each direction isn't connected at the center.

Ok dude. Honestly,  if another.......less biased.......poster had said that, i wouldntve responded, so ill let it go because it wont end in a productive discussion anyway.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

Obviously_Right
Sure, its much better for fps, with the offset sticks.
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

I need to holde them both and play with them both.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 I_can_haz

[QUOTE="I_can_haz"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

navyguy21

Ok dude. Honestly,  if another.......less biased.......poster had said that, i wouldntve responded, so ill let it go because it wont end in a productive discussion anyway.

:P Yea I'm biased towards PS4 but I was being honest this time .

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3-highlights-best-controllers-ps4-vs-xbox-one-6410598/

PS4

• Multi-touch surface that can recognize two fingers simultaneously and act as a clickable button
  • Microphone built into handset to be used with included headsets or 3rd party controllers
  • 'Start' and 'Select' are now 'Options' and 'Share' - Share ties into the social video functionality

Xbox One

• Received a reduced power state - keeps controller connected while shutting off non-essential features to conserve battery

-__-

Both controllers are upgraded - with the DualShock receiving some much needed attention.

R3FURBISHED

You forgot one controller sells battery packs, one has built in batteries.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R3FURBISHED

SolidTy

Neither of those have changed from last(this/current) generation.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

R3FURBISHED

This thread is about the best controllers.

THREAD TITLE:  "Best Controllers - PS4 VS. XBOX ONE"

When I or others click on the thread, we are clicking on the controllers being pitted against each other straight up.

There is nothing mentioned about things changing from current to next generation.

It seems if you want to do an honest thread about both controllers, we should include everything that is relevant for bothcontrollers.

I am buying both machines, but a lot of users will ony buy one or the other this year or next It would be best to weigh everything we can consider for potential buyers.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 navyguy21

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

PS4

Xbox One

-__-

SolidTy

Honestly, i prefer the battery packs so i dont have to buy another controller. (though ive only had to replace one so far). I dont think battery packs are a bad thing, but having batteries is just stupid. They should have a detachable, rechargeable battery pack instead of taking AA batteries. Those things are going to die so fast with all the tech thats inside of these controllers. Went through a week of that with 360 during launch and i was fed up :P
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R3FURBISHED

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

When I or others click on the thread, we are clicking on the controllers being pitted against each other straight up.

There is nothing mentioned about things changing from current to next generation.

It seems if you want to do an honest thread about both controllers, we should include everything that is relevant for bothcontrollers.

GameSpot mentioned nothing about the batteries other than the Xbox One controller has a power saving feature - all the bullet points are from the video GS provided.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Xbox controller is superior due to stick placement. Being able to easily access d pad with right thumb while moving character forward is important.

Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Obviously_Right

[QUOTE="Obviously_Right"]

FPSfan1985

Sure, its much better for fps, with the offset sticks.

Sure, if you have one thumb longer than the other.

If you're not deformed, the Dualshock wins.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
Battery pack or use a cord to charge is opinion on which is best. Rechargeable or battery packs take less time to change then charge by cord but cord you do not need any extras. I have used the same rechargeable batteries the entire gen and I prefer those because much faster and the cord for the PS3 is too short.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

R3FURBISHED

I am buying both machines, but a lot of users will ony buy one or the other this year or next It would be best to weigh everything we can consider for potential buyers.

GameSpot mentioned nothing about the batteries other than the Xbox One controller has a power saving feature - all the bullet points are from the video GS provided.

It's still your thread and the title of the thread doesn't mention it's GS opinion (SW Example would be "GameSpot: Best controllers...").

I can see though that gamespot.com overlooked that aspect, but that's GS for you. Their articles and content are rife with mistakes and things overlooked so I can't fault you there, I would fault them.

In the end though, it's your thread and others will get the same impression I got which is you have covered everything, but in fact it was GS's coverage, and they didn't cover everything. It's all good though, I've said enough.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R3FURBISHED

It's still your thread and the title of the thread doesn't mention it's GS opinion (SW Example would be "GameSpot: Best controllers...").

I can see though that gamespot.com overlooked that aspect, but that's GS for you. Their articles and content are rife with mistakes and things overlooked so I can't fault you there, I would fault them.

In the end though, it's your thread and others will get the same impression I got which is you have covered everything, but in fact it was GS's coverage, and they didn't cover everything. It's all good though, I've said enough.

SolidTy

The first thing in this thread is a link to the video that all this content comes from(which all content is transcribed), I cannot be held responsible if people overlook the first and most easily most recognizable part of the OP - a bright yellow hyperlink.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14503 Posts

Both look fantastic but DS4 is the bigger unknown.  How will the touchpad be utilized, the lightbar, are the triggers any good, etc.  If the touchpad turns out good, I could imagine a lot of useful applications.

X1 is functionally identical to X360 so I don't anticipate any surprises.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
I still think the X1 controller looks better, of course I'll need to hold both to make a final judgement. I'm glad Sony is copying Microsofts direction with the dualshock instead of sticking to the old outdated design.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

R3FURBISHED

The first thing in this thread is a link to the video that all this content comes from(which all content is transcribed), I cannot be held responsible if people overlook the first and most easily most recognizable part of the OP - a bright yellow hyperlink.

Apparently I haven't said enough.

Oh, you want me to break it down.

It's not that the bright yellow hyperlink is overlooked, it's that your commentary under the hyperlink is a suggestion that they are your thoughts when in fact after talking to you I found out they are not your thoughts at all. This is also confirmed when I watched the video.

People will click on this thread which has no hyperlink thinking this is about the Best Controllers by you. Once here, you leave them a post which comes off as your thoughts, but in fact they are not. You do leave a link, but you didn't post anything suggesting who's words we are reading.

Not once in your post do you mention Gamespot nor do you cite them as your information. You did provide a link like the thousands of threads do, but the commentary below the link seems to be all your own.

This thread isn't a thread about Best Controllers according to you or the community, it's the best controllers according to Gamespot.com. If you are just going to use their thoughts as the commentary, you may as well actually properly cite Gamespot.com's words as you would in a paper for school. At the very least, mention the word Gamespot once in the OP.

As I suggested, a simple:

"Gamespot:  Best Controllers - PS4 VS. XBOX ONE"

OR

"GS:  Best Controllers - PS4 VS. XBOX ONE"

would have done the job so people then know what they are clicking on. It's not that difficult to be honest.

You could have also mentioned above your bulletpoints this way:

----

According to Gamespot:

PS4

Xbox One

-__-

------

Anyways, I've already pointed out GS missed the boat once again.

My thoughts: When I buy my Xbox One and PS4, I'll make the determination on which one is better after playing some games in different genres with each controller.

I posted to add information to the thread. GS or you, or both forgot an aspect of the controllers (Battery) we buyers should consider. That's all.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

360 controller is the best I've ever used, and I'd imagine the XB1's will be even better. I think the localized rumble is pretty sweet too. 

DS4 looks quite a bit better than 3 (which I don't really like), but familiarity wins out for me. 

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Basinboy
I still think the X1 controller looks better, of course I'll need to hold both to make a final judgement. I'm glad Sony is copying Microsofts direction with the dualshock instead of sticking to the old outdated design.RR360DD
Meaning triggers & handles, presumably?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Hard to say with the dualshock, it's the biggest change they've ever made to it. Xbox one controller looks like it took the amazing 360 controller and changed all the minor nitpicks about it. Can't wait to buy one for PC games.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RR360DD

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]I still think the X1 controller looks better, of course I'll need to hold both to make a final judgement. I'm glad Sony is copying Microsofts direction with the dualshock instead of sticking to the old outdated design.Basinboy

Mainly the ergonomics of it. The dualshock was still sporting a design conceived pre-1995 which is just ridiculous :lol: It was nowhere near as comfortable to hold as controllers that have come since, such as the Xbox and Gamecube controller which is why I was really surprised Sony didn't bother to alter the DS for the PS3 (although we dodged a bullet with that banana controller).

I'm just gald they've finally come to their senses, and the grips look strikingly similar to the 360s which is great. The improved triggers and concave sticks are welcome additions too.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Basinboy

[QUOTE="Basinboy"][QUOTE="RR360DD"]I still think the X1 controller looks better, of course I'll need to hold both to make a final judgement. I'm glad Sony is copying Microsofts direction with the dualshock instead of sticking to the old outdated design.RR360DD

Mainly the ergonomics of it. The dualshock was still sporting a design conceived pre-1995 which is just ridiculous :lol: It was nowhere near as comfortable to hold as controllers that have come since, such as the Xbox and Gamecube controller which is why I was really surprised Sony didn't bother to alter the DS for the PS3 (although we dodged a bullet with that banana controller).

I'm just gald they've finally come to their senses, and the grips look strikingly similar to the 360s which is great. The improved triggers and concave sticks are welcome additions too.

Agreed. DS3 was functional but the 360 controller's ergos were far better (except for the bumper buttons, glad those have been revamped on the X1).
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

They do not look that different from last gen so just basing it off that I would much prefer the X1 controller. Thumbstick placement and general design I think it is much better on Xbox. My opinion could change with a hands on with each though.CanYouDiglt

I dont think your opinion will change...ever

Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Obviously_Right

All these years after Microsoft copied the Dreamcast pad they still can't make a decent d-pad.

MrGameChef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MrGameChef
Member since 2013 • 76 Posts

I would have to hold the remote to determine which one feels better.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 I_can_haz

All these years after Microsoft copied the Dreamcast pad they still can't make a decent d-pad.

Obviously_Right
True
metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts
They both look good the touch pad seem cool
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
The Xbox controller will always prevail.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RR360DD

Obviously_Right

LOL Dpad, no one cares.

Also, which aspect was copied from the DC controller