Besides Killzones fancy graphics, it's not a very good/exciting franchise is it?

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

robotapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 robotapple
Member since 2012 • 780 Posts

I mean these scripted war fps games are starting to wear thin.

I was hoping Sony would make some fresh new IPs with some fresh ideas.

Sony fans can't possibly be excited for this, can they?

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

You underestimate the power of pretty graphics.  They can make even the most bland and uninteresting things seem almost fun.

Perhaps I should put this more clearly, graphics get people excited, yet overlook the fact that it's simply a pretty coat of paint applied to an overall sh!t canvas/product.  The age old "don't play graphics" cliche.

Also, anything and everything that allows someone to claim "ownage" on the internet is reason enough for idiots to go wild.

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

there isn't really much to get excited about. might as well pretend to hype killzone. 

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts
Sony fans can't possibly be excited for this, can they?robotapple
Wel...it looks pretty...
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#5 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

The Shadow Fall demonstration was pathetic. The shooter genre needs a mix-up because when I saw Shadow Fall it looked really good prior to the explosions. I'm hoping BioShock Infinite is the fresh game for the genre right now. Some are pulling for Destiny, but I think Bungie's success with Halo has gotten to their heads, they're making Molyneux level promises about it right now.

But I'm hoping Infinite is the anti-thesis to Call of Duty, Halo, Killzone and all of the shooters that are still following Halo's initial design from 2001 (some better than others).

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6611 Posts

You underestimate the power of pretty graphics.  They can make even the most bland and uninteresting things seem almost fun.

MLBknights58

I sure hope that was a joke post. I find Crysis series all graphics crappy everything else. Played the first one and warhead, got really boring.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts
Uhh... PC gamers hyped Crysis 3, only because it looked significantly better on the PC than either of the consoles... but the consoles still received the game. How come console and handheld gamers are the only ones expected to have standards? Fortunately, PlayStation fans have many more games to play. Killzone: Shadow Falls is superfluous at this moment in time with all they have, but hell, it's not taking away anything, is it?
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

p3anut

I sure hope that was a joke post. I find Crysis series all graphics crappy everything else. Played the first one and warhead, got really boring.

The thing is your response to my post is exactly the point I was getting at.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts

I've only played Kilzone 2. While the campaign was just decent, the multiplayer was legit. So yes, I presume I "can" get excited for it.

Also, SCE unveiled 3 new IPs just a week ago, how many more do you want? :?

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

KIllzone 2 was pretty dam good Killzone 3 ?...eh Don't see why *Cows* shouldn't hype it seems like a decent game.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

While that is true, the same can also be said about Crysis.  

Most boring FPS franchise ever made.  There is literally no purpose to the game existing other than graphics lol.  

robotapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 robotapple

KIllzone 2 was pretty dam good Killzone 3 ?...eh Don't see why *Cows* shouldn't hype it seems like a decent game.

Blake135

It's a boring genre, very stale... and Killzone is pretty subpar in the genre in everything besides graphics.

I mean... I'm getting a PS4, but I won't be buying Killzone and I hope Sony delivers a lot more intruiging games. 

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

MLBknights58

So damn true.

While that is true, the same can also be said about Crysis.  

Most boring FPS franchise ever made.  There is literally no purpose to the game existing other than graphics lol.  

StrongDeadlift

The game (Crysis/warhead) gives you options, use them, you can make things more interesting. It's a matter of having an imagination. Crysis 2 kinda lost that aspect and I bet it's the same thing with C3 too.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

Lems told me not to be excited for a PS exclusive...

81331958.jpg

Derp!

robotapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 robotapple

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

Epak_

So damn true.

Only for a couple hours... then it wears off and you realize it doesn't make the game or life any better and you get a sick and dirty feeling in your belly as the game goes in the dark corner with all the other botched attempts. 

robotapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robotapple

Lems told me not to be excited for a PS exclusive...

Derp!

FragTycoon

I hate MS first party junk too...

I mean Gears and Halo are played out too.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Epak_

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

robotapple

So damn true.

Only for a couple hours... then it wears off and you realize it doesn't make the game or life any better and you get a sick and dirty feeling in your belly as the game goes in the dark corner with all the other botched attempts. 

Yes, absolutely. This reminds me of Kameo.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I feel like people who haven't played these games always jump to the "it's only good for it's graphics" excuse. I heard it with Crysis ("it's only a pretty tech demo"), and with Uncharted ("it's only a pretty movie"). 

In each case it's obvious BS if you look at a single review as to why those games are amazing.

With Killzone, the games since 2 have managed to maintain stellar and visceral gunplay, creative map design, varied and intelligent AI, and well paced combat with good variety in different sections.

Sure the series hasn't really done anything unique and the writing is bland, but it's a very well done, if forgettable, series.

nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nextgenjoke
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

i liked killzone 3 better than killzone2 pretty much the snow level/jetpack platforming sections are the type of **** the game needs to break up the mindless shooting gameplay,because other than shooting your just planting bombs.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Not really excited, I just expect it to showcase PS4 graphical capabilities.

I loved KZ2 though and enjoyed the multiplayer in KZ3. Campaing in KZ3 was pretty meh.

nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nextgenjoke

The's the suckiest part about killzone franchise lame turret sections like in killzone 2 where you gotta shoot the ships outside of your ship.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
I only played Killzone 1 and 2 and its not a particularly good series killzone 1 was only ok when it came out and has aged horribly and two is a much better game but the input lag really kills the fun for me.
nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nextgenjoke

just sitting in one spot shooting is boring to me like in a turret section.

Vambran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vambran
Member since 2005 • 1921 Posts

It's okay. The story to date is nothing special , kinda like gears of wars. Fun to play but a week later and you can't even remember what was going on.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

I feel like people who haven't played these games always jump to the "it's only good for it's graphics" excuse. I heard it with Crysis ("it's only a pretty tech demo"), and with Uncharted ("it's only a pretty movie"). 

In each case it's obvious BS if you look at a single review as to why those games are amazing.

With Killzone, the games since 2 have managed to maintain stellar and visceral gunplay, creative map design, varied and intelligent AI, and well paced combat with good variety in different sections.

Sure the series hasn't really done anything unique and the writing is bland, but it's a very well done, if forgettable, series.

SPYDER0416

I think you have summed it up pretty well. 

I personally really enjoyed Killzone 2, and (to a lesser extent) Killzone 3, while not the best stories or the most original, it had good gameplay elements and mechanics, was certainly a solid shooter. I think the next Killzone will be the same - dodgy story, but great gunplay.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
its a dull franchise, yes. To me KZ=/=Crysis, both always looked good but had and always will have sh*tty campaign with multiplayer everyone will forget even existed one week after game's release.
Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

I wont lie, I was impressed when KZ2 came out just because the visuals.  I only played the game for a couple of hours though.  It seemed like a solid game, but most shooters bore me quickly.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
People give Crysis sh!t for being all graphics and no gameplay but realistically it's gameplay is far more advanced than Killzone's. Killzone's SP offers zero variety and zero choice. It is just a linear romp down narrow corridors and shooting anything with glowing red eyes. Crysis, while also linear, empowers the player with choice and options. You can plan out your attack, usually by somewhat of a vantage point before a fight. You can sneak past enemies, stealthily kill them all, or just max armor tank mode on them while you're throwing enemies around the beautiful environment like they're play toys. This gives the Crysis games much more replayability than Killzone which is a one and done and back to COD kind of game. The newest gameplay just looked like more of the same generic FPS game. The whole "flank the guy with the big gun and shield" is contrived as hell and as boring as it gets.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#31 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
the presentation was very impressive, but considering KZ3 was mediocre there isn't much to be excited about.
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts
played #2. I'd put it up with the category of 'Worst Games i've played this generation'
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
kz2 mp is god tier and the campaign was fine.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Blake135

me loved killzone 2.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

I personally don't like them at all. The AI is good and the gunplay is fine, but the objectives and level design are just blah to me.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

p3anut

Slap yourself what FPS did what crysis 1 did:

1 Physics ownage

2. Graphics ownage

3. Gameplay pick your style or switch mid way from stealth to brute force pick any route even kill with falling trees even vehicles also real day cycle = ownage

4. AI was the most advanced FPS bar none at the time

5. Multiplayer power struggle nuff said

The sandbox editor was great as was the mods and audio. Ratings GOTY any one.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Yea.

I think Sony should drop the KillZone name and make something more akin to Perfect Dark and/or Mirror's Edge out of it.

Generic military shooters are stale and boring now.

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts
Personally, I really enjoyed Killzone 2 & 3 besides their underwhelming stories. Gameplay is good, the atmosphere and level design is outstanding IMO and a lot of the set pieces are simply a blast to play. I haven't play many recent FPS games, never played COD or MoH or any of that cause I really don't care for shooters in realistic war scenarios. Just a matter of personal preference. Epic Sci-Fi war setting? Yep, bring it on.
Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

[QUOTE="p3anut"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

no-scope-AK47

Slap yourself what FPS did what crysis 1 did:

1 Physics ownage

2. Graphics ownage

3. Gameplay pick your style or switch mid way from stealth to brute force pick any route even kill with falling trees even vehicles also real day cycle = ownage

4. AI was the most advanced FPS bar none at the time

5. Multiplayer power struggle nuff said

The sandbox editor was great as was the mods and audio. Ratings GOTY any one.

I suppose most of what you just named could be applied to Far Cry (the first one) at that time. Except 5, of course.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Epak_

People give Crysis sh!t for being all graphics and no gameplay but realistically it's gameplay is far more advanced than Killzone's. Killzone's SP offers zero variety and zero choice. It is just a linear romp down narrow corridors and shooting anything with glowing red eyes. Crysis, while also linear, empowers the player with choice and options. You can plan out your attack, usually by somewhat of a vantage point before a fight. You can sneak past enemies, stealthily kill them all, or just max armor tank mode on them while you're throwing enemies around the beautiful environment like they're play toys. This gives the Crysis games much more replayability than Killzone which is a one and done and back to COD kind of game. The newest gameplay just looked like more of the same generic FPS game. The whole "flank the guy with the big gun and shield" is contrived as hell and as boring as it gets. BPoole96

Finally people who have actually played the game!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

For me its an exciting franchise. One of the rare FPS that I like.

Problem?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Great sound effects too.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

Killzone 2 was great online.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Is not for casuals like Halol or COD so it won't appeal to the masses.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
only played KZ2 multiplayer. It was a rocket fest
Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

kz2 mp is god tier.campzor

With the KZ2 MP director back, I'm very exited for this.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
KZ2 was fantastic. I loved the cover mechanic. The difficulty was insane which is a plus for me. Fun game, great environments, hectic firefights. Good time if you're into FPS.
Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]kz2 mp is god tier.Clock-w0rk

With the KZ2 MP director back, I'm very exited for this.

He's back for KZ4?  That should be a good thing.  Hopefully it gets back to more the KZ2 style than KZ3.

People can say what they want about generic or scripted, KZ2 single player is literally the first shooter single player I have ever made it through without being bored to tears.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Killzone is an exremwly good franchis. Very polished. Some of the best gunplay and set pieces in history. Interesting setting as well. All in all one of the best FPS's of all time
stayhigh1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 stayhigh1
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

I mean these scripted war fps games are starting to wear thin.

I was hoping Sony would make some fresh new IPs with some fresh ideas.

Sony fans can't possibly be excited for this, can they?

robotapple
I played all the Killzone games and its fun..I dont know why people keep talking about the game play ..Just like all FPS its just a shooting game..what else can they do with it? Add more weapons? MP maps?