BC for the XB1...Android and iOS too? sure why not

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/16/7401913/microsoft-streaming-games-apps-arcadia-report

Report: Microsoft's 'Arcadia' service will stream games, apps

Microsoft is building a cloud-based service codenamed "Arcadia" to stream apps and video games, reports ZDNet.

Arcadia is based on Microsoft's cloud computing infrastructure, Azure, and is being developed by a streaming technology team within the company's Operating Systems Group, according to ZDNet. The service is said to replace "Rio," the codename for the game-streaming technology that Microsoft demonstrated during an internal company meeting last September.

The Verge reported at the time that the Rio demo streamed Halo 4 to a Windows Phone device with an Xbox 360 controller attached, and to a low-end computer running Windows. Microsoft had said previously that it was looking into using Azure-based technology to provide backward compatibility on Xbox One, similar to the way Sony's Gaikai-based PlayStation Now works.

Citing an anonymous source, ZDNet reports that Microsoft considered using Arcadia to stream apps as well. A potential use case would give Windows and Windows Phone users the ability to run Android apps and games via streaming, a possibility Microsoft's Operating Systems Group had been exploring for some time. But Microsoft has shelved that idea for now, according to ZDNet.

ZDNet began investigating Arcadia when it was pointed to a Microsoft Careers job posting for a senior software engineer that mentions the codename. The listing specifically calls out the "Arcadia team" within the Operating Systems Group, but is otherwise vague. Qualifications listed on the page include "non-MS platform (Android, iOS) experience" as a "plus," which could signal cross-platform uses for Arcadia.

The name itself comes from the Halo universe: Arcadia is a Unified Earth Government colony that appeared in Halo Wars, according to Halo Nation. That wouldn't be a first for Microsoft, which soft-launched a Siri competitor called Cortana earlier this year on Windows Phone and Windows 8.1.

if they give this service free of charge to the Xbox One and undercut Sony and their Gaikai rental service...huge plus for them. do it Microsoft, do it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50567 Posts

@tymeservesfate said:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/16/7401913/microsoft-streaming-games-apps-arcadia-report

Report: Microsoft's 'Arcadia' service will stream games, apps

icrosoft is building a cloud-based service codenamed "Arcadia" to stream apps and video games, reports ZDNet.

Arcadia is based on Microsoft's cloud computing infrastructure, Azure, and is being developed by a streaming technology team within the company's Operating Systems Group, according to ZDNet. The service is said to replace "Rio," the codename for the game-streaming technology that Microsoft demonstrated during an internal company meeting last September.

The Verge reported at the time that the Rio demo streamed Halo 4 to a Windows Phone device with an Xbox 360 controller attached, and to a low-end computer running Windows. Microsoft had said previously that it was looking into using Azure-based technology to provide backward compatibility on Xbox One, similar to the way Sony's Gaikai-based PlayStation Now works.

Citing an anonymous source, ZDNet reports that Microsoft considered using Arcadia to stream apps as well. A potential use case would give Windows and Windows Phone users the ability to run Android apps and games via streaming, a possibility Microsoft's Operating Systems Group had been exploring for some time. But Microsoft has shelved that idea for now, according to ZDNet.

ZDNet began investigating Arcadia when it was pointed to a Microsoft Careers job posting for a senior software engineer that mentions the codename. The listing specifically calls out the "Arcadia team" within the Operating Systems Group, but is otherwise vague. Qualifications listed on the page include "non-MS platform (Android, iOS) experience" as a "plus," which could signal cross-platform uses for Arcadia.

The name itself comes from the Halo universe: Arcadia is a Unified Earth Government colony that appeared in Halo Wars, according to Halo Nation. That wouldn't be a first for Microsoft, which soft-launched a Siri competitor called Cortana earlier this year on Windows Phone and Windows 8.1.

if they give this service free of charge to the Xbox One and undercut Sony with their Gaikai rental service...huge plus for them. do it Microsoft, do it.

How much do you want MS to lose!?

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tymeservesfate

@Chutebox: you again? smh...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

PSNow.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox

@tymeservesfate said:

@Chutebox: you again? smh...

You gonna cry like you always do? Sorry jr, I'll leave you alone.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#6 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

PSNow.

blows. this probably will also

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Probably going to be a paid service like PSNow.

If so, I'll pass. Not going to support either service to be honest.

Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#8  Edited By Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts

Wouldn't it be cheaper to go with software, Im sure with the documentation they have OG XBOX games should be a breeze to emulate.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17427 Posts

If they tie this to the gold membership im all for it.

Otherwise its useless without a subscription

Maybe implement that previously hate DRM and allow you to insert 360 disc for free streaming?

Either way, i doubt ill ever stream video games.

Onlive and PSNow sucks, this will too.

Just use that money to invest in proper emulation like 360

Shouldnt be that hard with both being based on PC development environment.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

As long as I don't have to pay on top of Live it will be all good. Otherwise pound sand.

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

If MS could ever make the Xbone BC I would buy one in a second over the PS4, and I'm generally a fan of Sony and am planning to buy a PS4 soon.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

**** Streaming..

let me know when im able to insert previous gen(s) games into these consoles (PS4/XB1), then they'll have my attention.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Nobody gives stuff away for free, and LOL streaming services.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

It'd be cool if we were allowed to keep all our 360 digital games.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tymeservesfate

@ten_pints said:

Nobody gives stuff away for free, and LOL streaming services.

actually i meant, or should have said, them adding this service onto the XBL package for use. that you're only paying your XBL subscription fee for it with no extra charges. i doubt they would just add a streaming service to the console for free use too.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chutebox

@kuu2 said:

As long as I don't have to pay on top of Live it will be all good. Otherwise pound sand.

Never heard that expression before.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44569 Posts

So, MS didn't bring BC to the Xbox One probably because they plan to milk us for renting BC just like Sony did; thanks Sony and thanks Microsoft for following their lead. And here I was hoping they'd try to find a way to at least bring Xbox 360 XBLA games to the Xbox One, fat chance now.

No way is MS bringing this out for free for XBLG users. Maybe they'll have discounted XBLG and whatever this is bundled together in price, like they do for the music service and/or Office 365. I'd be happy to be wrong on this of course.