bang for buck the PS3 owns the Pc for graphics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

The PC is a great gaming platform, arguably the best. but a good gaming PC will set you back about £300 - £400.where as the PS3 is just £250. No PC for that price could run games with graphics like Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Infamous 2, and lair.

So pound for pound the PS3 the playstation 3 offers the best graphics experience around.

Please feel free to disagree.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
PS3 will never produce graphics on the level of Crysis.
KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KevinButlerVP
Member since 2010 • 2378 Posts
I was actually just thinking the same thing, Uncharted 2 running on a $300 PS3 looks much better than Crysis running on a $300 PC
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

The PC is a great gaming platform, arguably the best. but a good gaming PC will set you back about £300 - £400.where as the PS3 is just £250. No PC for that price could run games with graphics like Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Infamous 2, and lair.

So pound for pound the PS3 the playstation 3 offers the best graphics experience around.

Vinegar_Strokes
Only if you have an HDTV.
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
lol because the pc and ps3 are capable of the same things :roll:
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Well, for the same price it couldn't, no. Why? Due to the fact that Sony buys parts for the PS3 at much lower than they would be available at market. They'll get a much better price when producing mass amounts of components than you would buying a single PC component at retail.

For it's initial price, it was absolutely possible.

I was actually just thinking the same thing, Uncharted 2 running on a $300 PS3 looks much better than Crysis running on a $300 PCKevinButlerVP

Uncharted 2 isn't comparable to Crysis graphically, so why compare them using a same priced machine?

KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KevinButlerVP
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Well, for the same price it couldn't, no. Why? Due to the fact that Sony buys parts for the PS3 at much lower than they would be available at market. They'll get a much better price when producing mass amounts of components than you would buying a single PC component at retail.

For it's initial price, it was absolutely possible.

I was actually just thinking the same thing, Uncharted 2 running on a $300 PS3 looks much better than Crysis running on a $300 PCKevinButlerVP

Uncharted 2 isn't comparable to Crysis graphically, so why compare them using a same priced machine?

I'm not sure what you mean, Crysis running on say a 5970 with an I7 and 12 gigs of memory would destroy anything graphically. Crysis running on a much lower-end $300 PC looks way different than on the high quality one
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lundy86_4

I'm not sure what you mean, Crysis running on say a 5970 with an I7 and 12 gigs of memory would destroy anything graphically. Crysis running on a much lower-end $300 PC looks way different than on the high quality oneKevinButlerVP

What I meant was Crysis has much better graphics than Uncharted 2, so why would you run them on a similar priced machine? I know what you're getting at, just got confused :P

Still consoles definately beat PC out in terms of entry costs.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

But a graphics card like an 8800GT that cost $50 can produce better visuals than the ps3. Try a multiplat game on the 8800GT and ps3 and you will see that the 8800GT will play with more fps, bigger resolution etc. On there other hand you cannot make a gaming pc with $300, but pc's can do more things.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Vinegar_Strokes

Pound for pound PlayStation 2 owns PS3 in graphics. No PS3 can run PS2 level of graphics for mere£99

So pound for pound the playstation 2 offers the better graphics experience than PS3

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Yeah these are running on a 400 dollar PC

You have to remember, some us payed over 300 for the PS3 :o

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

I've had my PC quite a while now, maybe 2-3 years? I paid about the same price for a PS3 at launch for this, and it still plays games on high settings. Plus, with all the money I saved on games it's a hell of alot cheaper.

Not to mention it also does PC stuff too. Where as all you people who bought a PS3 paid that on top of your current computer!! :P

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

True. But when you buy a pc, you are buying a machine with many more uses. Most people in the world don't use pc's for gaming and this huge flexibility raises the price.

Also, prices tend to increase exponencially with quality. A graphics card can cost twice the amount of another one and only perform one tenth better. This is true for a lot of products, in fact, almost every single one.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
any game running on a $300 pc is going to look horrible compared to 360 and ps3
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Plus...I'm not sure if you couldn't actualy buy 250 pounds PC that could run games on PS3 level...medium-low settings, low res and no real AF and AA

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

True. But when you buy a pc, you are buying a machine with many more uses. Most people in the world don't use pc's for gaming and this huge flexibility raises the price.

Also, prices tend to increase exponencially with quality. A graphics card can cost twice the amount of another one and only perform one tenth better. This is true for a lot of products, in fact, almost every single one.

Cataclism
theres a sweet spot. for price/performance ration $800 PC's usually are the best, any more your paying way too much for components, any less performance starts to drop faster than price.
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vinegar_Strokes

[QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"]

AdrianWerner

Pound for pound PlayStation 2 owns PS3 in graphics. No PS3 can run PS2 level of graphics for mere£99

So pound for pound the playstation 2 offers the better graphics experience than PS3

exactly.
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

Vinegar_Strokes

I disagree. Pound for pound surely it is the significantly cheaper 360 with almost identical graphics capability. This is of course just using your logic.

KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KevinButlerVP

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]I was actually just thinking the same thing, Uncharted 2 running on a $300 PS3 looks much better than Crysis running on a $300 PCAnimal-Mother

how do you know those are on a $400 dollar PC? also this it has to be a $300 vs $300 dollar, it's wat makes it fair and the PS3 is $300 right now. It doesn't matter how much it was before

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]I was actually just thinking the same thing, Uncharted 2 running on a $300 PS3 looks much better than Crysis running on a $300 PCKevinButlerVP

how do you know those are on a $400 dollar PC? also this it has to be a $300 vs $300 dollar, it's wat makes it fair and the PS3 is $300 right now. It doesn't matter how much it was before

Because it's my PC...... I payed for it with my credit card.

And what is this 300 dollar vs 300 dollar.

My first 500 dollar PS3 has some words to exchange with you.

maybe that it still runs uncharted 2.

KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KevinButlerVP
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

so if you can use numbers from two years ago, than any peice of hardware for the PC that obviously dropped in price would have to be compared at full price... your logic works both ways, hardware drops in price as time go's on
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Even my 'low end' gaming PC from 2007 is better. So no.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]

so if you can use numbers from two years ago, than any peice of hardware for the PC that obviously dropped in price would have to be compared at full price... your logic works both ways, hardware drops in price as time go's on

Ehh, My point still stands. The 500 dollar PS3 can run uncharted. As well as the 300 dollar one. But my point still stands. PC can Put out pretty much even or better graphics within thta price range.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#25 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49592 Posts
Bang for your buck? The PC crushes the PS3 in terms of value.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Animal-Mother
Bang for your buck? The PC crushes the PS3 in terms of value.Stevo_the_gamer
See this is where I step in? I agree PC crushes PS3, but how much did you just pay for your video card?
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean, Crysis running on say a 5970 with an I7 and 12 gigs of memory would destroy anything graphically. Crysis running on a much lower-end $300 PC looks way different than on the high quality oneKevinButlerVP
At 1680X1050, not the quite frankly low 720p High settings, some on very high it looks absolutely spectacular. Add the natural mod and it looks a step better; keeping in mind the game has a stable framerate. Warhead as well. This isn't scratching the surface of visually impressive titles.

This is on my computer, one bought in 2007 (everything but the case admittedly) almost the same price as a PS3 sold retail here at the time.

It is all a bit illogical, the PC has room to move in the visuals deparment, the PS3 doesn't it must work around the hardware, it will never match that of any 'gaming computer'; which is already many years ahead, despite age in hardware.

What does it matter, there are plenty of visually impressive games on the PS3 anyway, that would look at treat on any other platform, including the PC.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

Vinegar_Strokes
If that's the case then 360 destroys everyone.
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 1080pOnly

[QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"]

Mystic-G

Indeed, TC ignored my original comment as there's no good comeback :P.

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Bang for your buck? The PC crushes the PS3 in terms of value.Animal-Mother
See this is where I step in? I agree PC crushes PS3, but how much did you just pay for your video card?

Ok. how much did you pay for your PS3... and how much did you pay for the PC you are currently typing on. Add those both together. The outcome? A price that could afford a gaming rig out of this world surely.

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
PC will always beat PS3 in terms of Graphics. But the cost of a decent PC part like a video card costs as much as the PS3
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Bang for your buck? The PC crushes the PS3 in terms of value.lucfonzy

Ok. how much did you pay for your PS3... and how much did you pay for the PC you are currently typing on. Add those both together. The outcome? A price that could afford a gaming rig out of this world surely.

Probably, but i'm at work so I didn't pay for this PC :P. I mean I'm speaking standalone, but you are essentially right.

Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vinegar_Strokes

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"][QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"]

1080pOnly

no. i agree with you. its a fair point and one i did not consider.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lundy86_4

PC will always beat PS3 in terms of Graphics. But the cost of a decent PC part like a video card costs as much as the PS3NerubianWeaver

A high end card costs as much as a PS3. Using your words, a "decent PC part" could cost as little as $100.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts
[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"] If that's the case then 360 destroys everyone. Vinegar_Strokes

Another point u haven't considered is that a gaming PC ends up being cheaper anyway through all the much cheaper games we end up buying and saving money on compared to the console counterparts.
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 1080pOnly

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"] If that's the case then 360 destroys everyone. Vinegar_Strokes

Fair enough. I agree that for most a console will produce better graphics than an equally priced PC. However, just a few game purchases down the line and the PC has drawn level. A few more and it pulls way ahead.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#37 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49592 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Bang for your buck? The PC crushes the PS3 in terms of value.Animal-Mother

I do not recall. Must be alzheimer's. :D

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Bang for your buck? The PC crushes the PS3 in terms of value.Stevo_the_gamer

I do not recall. Must be alzheimer's. :D

Ohh Really? You do know that women have a higher chance of that right? are you trying to tell me something?
KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KevinButlerVP

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] Because it's my PC...... I payed for it with my credit card.

Animal-Mother

Ehh, My point still stands. The 500 dollar PS3 can run uncharted. As well as the 300 dollar one. But my point still stands. PC can Put out pretty much even or better graphics within thta price range.

the price range is $300, no more no less. PC can accomplish the best graphics, just not in that price range

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

You bought a $400 pc in 07 that could run crysis in DX10? Think not.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Animal-Mother

Who said anything about 2007?

i never said I got it in 07, ohh, My timer was off that was taken about a month or so ago.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"] so if you can use numbers from two years ago, than any peice of hardware for the PC that obviously dropped in price would have to be compared at full price... your logic works both ways, hardware drops in price as time go's onKevinButlerVP

the price range is $300, no more no less. PC can accomplish the best graphics, just not in that price range

The price was still 500 bux back a year ago.
GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

i never said I got it in 07.

The screen shot that you posted clearly says 2007 lol.
NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]PC will always beat PS3 in terms of Graphics. But the cost of a decent PC part like a video card costs as much as the PS3lundy86_4

A high end card costs as much as a PS3. Using your words, a "decent PC part" could cost as little as $100.

That's not all. Include the Processor + Mobo, RAM and a 5770 perhaps. These are not the complete components and yet the price is higher than the cost of the PS3
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="GreyFoXX4"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

i never said I got it in 07.

The screen shot that you posted clearly says 2007 lol.

yeah that was taken in may or june. i dunno my timer must have been off
KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KevinButlerVP
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]

Ehh, My point still stands. The 500 dollar PS3 can run uncharted. As well as the 300 dollar one. But my point still stands. PC can Put out pretty much even or better graphics within thta price range.Animal-Mother

actually wasn't it like $400? either way the current SKU is $300, so people right now can play Uncharted 2 for $300 not $500
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"] the price range is $300, no more no less. PC can accomplish the best graphics, just not in that price range

KevinButlerVP

actually wasn't it like $400? either way the current SKU is $300, so people right now can play Uncharted 2 for $300 not $500

And what about the early adopters. Still play uncharted 2 for 600.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]PC will always beat PS3 in terms of Graphics. But the cost of a decent PC part like a video card costs as much as the PS3NerubianWeaver

That's not all. Include the Processor + Mobo, RAM and a 5770 perhaps. These are not the complete components and yet the price is higher than the cost of the PS3

I know it is. That much is obvious, and for reasons I explained in my initial post (regarding manufacturing costs and bulk purchasing). All I said, was that a decent PC part was not the price of a PS3. In fact, it is much cheaper. Only high end parts cost as much as a PS3, and really that would only be the GPU and CPU, as RAM (evenn DDR3) isn't all that expensive (around $150 for 6gb).

It also depends on the components you are buying. It's possible to find good processors for the sub-$100 range etc. Not every part must be top-of-the-line.

KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KevinButlerVP

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] The price was still 500 bux back a year ago.Animal-Mother

doesn't matter, it's not the past it's the present... and the PS3 is $300

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"] actually wasn't it like $400? either way the current SKU is $300, so people right now can play Uncharted 2 for $300 not $500KevinButlerVP

doesn't matter, it's not he past it's the present... and the PS3 is $300

So sony gave them 300 dollar refunds? It does matter because those now $300 dollar PS3s aren't the only ones that play Uncharted 2 :? The $600 dollar ones do too.