Assassin's Creed 2 is the most improved sequel this gen...

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

Let me start by saying that I despised the first Assassin's Creed, I really hated it with a passion. Check my post count and you will see the endless posts showing how much I hated that game, it was so repetitive and tiresome, a really mediocre game. As you can imagine, my expectations weren't high for AC2 and I wouldn't even have considered playing it, luckily it was bought for me as a gift. Let me stay this is one of the best games I have played this generation.

Firstly, this game is NOTHING like its predecessor, I repeat nothing! This game has removed the entire structure of the first game where you repeat a few boring tasks over and over again, instead we are now given a massive selection of varied missions that are actually fun and engaging. There is so much more variety in the mission types, the AI and just the way you can actually go about assassinating. It all adds to make the game feel much more complete. Gone are numbers of the first game and you actually feel like you are free to roam in a breathing world, doing what you want in any order.

Secondly, another aspect that got a huge overhaul was the depth of the character customisation. You can now customise nearly everything about your character. You can upgrade your armour, dye your clothes into different colours and purchase a variety of different weapons and upgrades. You can also visit doctors to buy health bottles and visit blacksmiths for armour repairs. These options take the form of shops which are scattered around the city and again, it makes the experience so much more fun and engaging!

The game however has so much more depth than this. You can also invest money into the cities to increase their value, where you can then return and receive money for your investments. You can visit art merchants and buy paintings and upgrade your villa. There is just so much to do and it really feels like there is an authentic economy in the game, with so much to buy and invest in.

Thirdly are collectibles, there is tons to collect if you wish, like feathers, video tape segments, seals and other sorts of items. These are optional and you are no longer forced to climb a tower and sync it, although it is fun to do so. Another improved aspect of the game is the notoriety meter. Depending on your actions guards will become more aware and cautious of your presence and will put up posters of you. To counter this you can explore areas to rip down the posters and lower your bad reputation. Its a really nice addition and yet again, adds to the world and makes it feel so much more real.

You can also swim in this game and ride boats, this is a really nice addition and adds some cool assassination angles. There are also some jaw dropping platforming segments that present themselves as hidden Assassin areas, these are focused on purely platforming and they are fantastic! These are probably my favourite parts in the game.

Unlike the first game there is also now a real story to get into with some memorable characters and a good plot. The cutscenes are well acted out and the voice acting is top notch! I'm going to stop now although I could go on for much longer, since this post is adding up and you guys will probably be put off by a wall of text but I really mean it when I say this game is fantastic! The world feels alive and there is so much more to do and see then in the first game. The scope of the game is HUGE and Ubisoft were really ambitious with this project, and its paid off big time.

There are minor problems like some screen tearing and some framerate dips when in large areas, but this is understandable since its so large in scope and detail. I also feel this game justifies its 9/10 unlike the first game which was massively over rated by Gamespot.

All in all, well done Ubisoft! Now, everyone else, buy this game! Its the best open world game this gen, far better than inFamous and GTA IV.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#2 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I would say its Uncharted 2. It got everything right thats it predesscor didn't. You didn't have to walk across logs using the six axis and the melee was better as well as the action.

CrAppyF33ling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CrAppyF33ling
Member since 2009 • 1665 Posts

would you think they Screw up the first game on purpose so the second one coulod be really epic after people play the first one?

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
Not even close, Uncharted 2 is the clear winner in that department.
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
I'd say Uncharted 2 is the most improved. Longer story, KILLER graphics, improved melee combat, more weapons, and of course, fun and addictive multiplayer.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I loved the 1st game, but this one blew me away. Best open world action game ever made, imo. Definately a game of the year contender. (Not on this site, but my personal list.)
JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts
I should stop reading stuff about Assassin's Creed 2. I'm dieing to play it, and stuff like this just makes it worse. :P I loved the first one a lot. My favourite game this gen. I can understand why you didn't like it, even though it makes me a little sad. :(
Avatar image for deactivated-652663614c5e5
deactivated-652663614c5e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-652663614c5e5
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts

Like others have said, I still think Uncharted 2is the most improved sequel this gen. The differencxe though, is that the first Uncharted was a great game.

Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Revolution316
Member since 2009 • 2877 Posts

guys how was uncharted 2 the most improved? how bad did you guys think uncharted 1 was? :? the first uncharted was awesome compared to how bad the first AC was. AC2 is truley the most improved over its prequel

DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts
Uncharted 2 was definitely an improved sequel, but the gap between the improvement wasn't as vast as it was with Assassin's Creed. The first had many problem, not only did the second address those, it added so much more like an economy system, cinematic set pieces, and things like upgrades, dyes, art pieces, and much, much more.
Avatar image for deactivated-652663614c5e5
deactivated-652663614c5e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-652663614c5e5
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts

guys how was uncharted 2 the most improved? how bad did you guys think uncharted 1 was? :? the first uncharted was awesome compared to how bad the first AC was. AC2 is truley the most improved over its prequel

Revolution316
Like I said, the 1st Uncharted was great, But with all the things added to the sequel, like the online and the extra hours, and of course the graphics, it just seems more improved than AC2.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Come on people. It's Killzone 2.Both Assassin's Creed and Uncharted, for all of there faults were at least somewhat enjoyable. The original Killzone was a mess.And even though I didn't like Killzone 2 at all, I thing it was an infinitely better game than the first. I honestly cannot say that about either Assassin's Creed or Uncharted.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Firstly, this game is NOTHING like its predecessor, I repeat nothing!Asim90

Actually, ACII is almost exactly the same as AC, it is just got way more things to do and the whole mission design is just much more spaced out and well-executed. They are very similar games, just ACII is what AC should have been in the first place.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts

I would say its Uncharted 2. It got everything right thats it predesscor didn't. You didn't have to walk across logs using the six axis and the melee was better as well as the action.

chocolate1325
Yeah agreed, also how can you say "its nothing like it's predecessor". The game has changed for the better but is still very similar.
C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
I think its a tie between AC2 and UC2. Both just improved amazingly, and both are fantastic games.
Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Revolution316
Member since 2009 • 2877 Posts

Come on people. It's Killzone 2.Both Assassin's Creed and Uncharted, for all of there faults were at least somewhat enjoyable. The original Killzone was a mess.And even though I didn't like Killzone 2 at all, I thing it was an infinitely better game than the first. I honestly cannot say that about either Assassin's Creed or Uncharted.

heretrix

i think TC ment games this gen

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ninten007
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts

Its a tie between Creed 2 and Killzone 2.

I really dont put Uncharted 2 in it because Uncharted 1 was already a good game that needed minimal tweaking. UC 2 is GOTY though.

KZ 1 was terrible and yet KZ 2 really improved on the orignal by offering intense warfare action. But again this is due to the hardware differences between PS2 and PS3.

Creed 1 was a borefest because of the mission structure which had you doing the same thing over and over. The part where you had to kill the big cheese is where the game became exciting. But other than that the pickpocketing, save citizen, eavesdropping, and beating a guy until he reveals information were very tiresome even on the third memory. To fully enjoy it I just ran around killing NPC .

Creed 2 gets rid of the mission structure from the first and adds optional missions which are a breath of fresh air. You have timed races, courier missions and my favorite of all assasination missions. PoP style of gameplay in the tombs are very well done.

thens1563

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thens1563
Member since 2009 • 724 Posts

I should stop reading stuff about Assassin's Creed 2. I'm dieing to play it, and stuff like this just makes it worse. :P I loved the first one a lot. My favourite game this gen. I can understand why you didn't like it, even though it makes me a little sad. :(JebranRush

Same here. I'll probably end up buying it soon, though.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

While Uncharted 2 was vastly improved, Uncharted 1 was still a freaking awesome game.

Assassin's Creed 1 was a repetitive chore to play, yet I must admit that Assassin's 2 is the most improved sequel I have played this gen, even though I wouldn't rate it as highly as Uncharted 2.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninten007"]

Its a tie between Creed 2 and Killzone 2.

I really dont put Uncharted 2 in it because Uncharted 1 was already a good game that needed minimal tweaking. UC 2 is GOTY though.

KZ 1 was terrible and yet KZ 2 really improved on the orignal by offering intense warfare action. But again this is due to the hardware differences between PS2 and PS3.

Creed 1 was a borefest because of the mission structure which had you doing the same thing over and over. The part where you had to kill the big cheese is where the game became exciting. But other than that the pickpocketing, save citizen, eavesdropping, and beating a guy until he reveals information were very tiresome even on the third memory. To fully enjoy it I just ran around killing NPC .

Creed 2 gets rid of the mission structure from the first and adds optional missions which are a breath of fresh air. You have timed races, courier missions and my favorite of all assasination missions. PoP style of gameplay in the tombs are very well done.

Killzone 2 loses imo due to that crappy, unmappable Cover button. Seriously... I applaud their inclusion of a cover system, but the way they did it seemed out of place to me. Plus, they lost one of my favorite features: the 2 fire types for each gun, was removed. So Killzone 2 had a much better graphics engine than the original, but the gameplay still took a step back here and there, despite numerous improvements. I agree that AC2 is one of the most improved sequels this gen, if not the most improved. Uncharted 2 is certainly not... it had slightly better graphics and some minor gameplay tweaks, but really it was just more of the same. (not that that's a bad thing.)
navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
Uncharted 2 /thread
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Asim90

Uncharted 2 is a fantastic games but its not the most improved sequel, since the first one was also fantastic. The improvement between AC1 and AC2 is FAR bigger than that between U1 and U2, for the reasons I previously mentioned.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Revolution316

i think TC ment games this gen

Killzone 2 came out this gen. It is a sequel to a last gen game, but the thread is about the sequel not the original.

"Assassin's Creed 2 is the most improved sequel this gen"

Why wouldn't Killzone 2 qualify?

Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

chocolate1325

Yeah exactly.

Another sequel I'd have to give it to has to be Motorstorm Pacific. It did everything the first one SHOULD'VE done.:P

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ninten007

When March 2010 rolls around. we all will be saying Just Cause 2 (hopefully).

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#26 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

Yes, but mostly because the first one was so lacking in certain areas.

Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mr_Apple_Soup
Member since 2006 • 3580 Posts

Uncharted was a pretty good game to begin with guys, Killzone on the other hand, not so such. Hell, critically at least, so was the first AC.

I still believe that KZ2 is the most improved sequel this gen. Put many a day into that sucker :P

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#28 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
well TC, I agree about AC2 although I haven't beaten it yet, but I disagree when you say it's nothing like the original. It is basically the same game. They just livened it up with some variety and tweeked a few things. I loved AC1, I'm loving AC2 even more, and I would say AC2 is the clear frontrunner for game of the year (from what I've heard and played so far)
_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
I also hated assassins creed1, swore id never get AC2 but it just looked so cool so I got it, and it really is an amazing game.AC1 was that basic it probably wasnt hard to improve the series.But they improved it in all the right places.
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

Uncharted 2 and Galaxy are the most improved.

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
I wouldn't say UC2. UC1 first game was allready very good while AC1 was decent but grew old and repetative really fast. While UC2 was still a good improvment over UC1 and still a better game than AC2. The improvment AC2 has managed to make over AC1 is a much bigger gap.
C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts

Uncharted 2 and Galaxy are the most improved.

nintendoman562
You can't really count Galaxy as a sequel. I like to think of 3D Mario games as a whole new game. This isn't the case with Galaxy 2, though.
ThePRAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThePRAssassin
Member since 2009 • 1344 Posts

I think it's cute how people keep saying Uncharted 2 yet not listing any reasons.

From garbage to great is definitely a bigger improvement from good to great, so how someone can even argue this is just laughable.

Just goes to show how many PS fanboys there really is on this forum.

Trinners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Trinners
Member since 2009 • 2537 Posts

Killzone 2 is a massive improvement over Killzone 1. AC2 was great but the jump from AC to AC2 isn't nearly as big as KZ to KZ2.

ThePRAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ThePRAssassin
Member since 2009 • 1344 Posts

Killzone 2 is a massive improvement over Killzone 1. AC2 was great but the jump from AC to AC2 isn't nearly as big as KZ to KZ2.

Trinners

Well gee, one was released for the PS2 and one was released for the PS3.

I would hope there was a big improvement, considering the one developed for PS3 has on the biggest budgets ever and had about 5 years of development.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Revolution316

Even though I enjoyed Uncharted 1 more than Ass Creed, it has got to be one of the most flawed AA games I've played, at least this gen. Controls, pacing, jet ski sections and some other flawed gameplay elements hurt the game for me.

Trinners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Trinners
Member since 2009 • 2537 Posts

[QUOTE="Trinners"]

ThePRAssassin

Well gee, one was released for the PS2 and one was released for the PS3.

I would hope there was a big improvement, considering the one developed for PS3 has on the biggest budgets ever and had about 5 years of development.

Hence why it is the most improved sequel

Avatar image for SLIisaownsystem
SLIisaownsystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SLIisaownsystem
Member since 2009 • 964 Posts

[QUOTE="Asim90"]Firstly, this game is NOTHING like its predecessor, I repeat nothing!foxhound_fox

Actually, ACII is almost exactly the same as AC, it is just got way more things to do and the whole mission design is just much more spaced out and well-executed. They are very similar games, just ACII is what AC should have been in the first place.

the first game was better

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8283 Posts
I am gonna go with Killzone 2.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

I haven't played AC2 so im not going to throw my opinion in but if it is the most improved sequel does that mean Ubisoft have both the most improved sequel and the worst sequel (Farcry2, first one was great second one is still probably my least favourite game I've played this gen)?

If AC2 is such an improvement then I may pick it up eventually, but im still cautious as the first was a chore.

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ninten007

[QUOTE="Revolution316"]

mitu123

Even though I enjoyed Uncharted 1 more than Ass Creed, it has got to be one of the most flawed AA games I've played, at least this gen. Controls, pacing, jet ski sections and some other flawed gameplay elements hurt the game for me.

Not nearly as flawed and much better than the AAA Perfect Dark 0.

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Asim90

I haven't played AC2 so im not going to throw my opinion in but if it is the most improved sequel does that mean Ubisoft have both the most improved sequel and the worst sequel (Farcry2, first one was great second one is still probably my least favourite game I've played this gen)?

If AC2 is such an improvement then I may pick it up eventually, but im still cautious as the first was a chore.

Ace6301

'Chore' is the perfect word for the first game. The new one however feels like nothing of the sort, I'm actually having trouble putting it down.

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ninten007

Ace6301

At least give AC 2 a rent. It is nothing like the first, except for the controls. AC deserves like a 7, but AC 2 does deserve the AAA scores it is recieving.

destro123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 destro123
Member since 2005 • 755 Posts

Yeah its an amazing game. Double assassinations are the best.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Revolution316"]

Ninten007

I didn't review Unhcarted but I would give it an 8.0 at least just like Gamespot said. And I reviewed PDZ and gave it a 7.0, so you might be right.:P

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I agree. It's much better than the first game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

the first game was better

SLIisaownsystem

Haha... no.

Why exactly do you think so? You obviously haven't played the second one yet... it doesn't come out on PC until next year.

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ninten007

[QUOTE="Ninten007"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] Even though I enjoyed Uncharted 1 more than Ass Creed, it has got to be one of the most flawed AA games I've played, at least this gen. Controls, pacing, jet ski sections and some other flawed gameplay elements hurt the game for me.

mitu123

I didn't review Unhcarted but I would give it an 8.0 at least just like Gamespot said. And I reviewed PDZ and gave it a 7.0, so you might be right.:P

There ya go. Reviews are opinions.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Ninten007"]

Ninten007

There ya go. Reviews are opinions.

Yes, but in SW, they are facts, if that makes any sense.:lol: