As the entire population gains basic gaming skills, Sony's movie game formula is to be more prevalent?

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll As the entire population gains basic gaming skills, Sony's movie game formula is to be more prevalent? (25 votes)

Definitely! 20%
Possibly. 20%
Maybe. Maybe not. 16%
Not really. 20%
Nope! 24%

As the entire human population gains basic gaming skills as how children are growing up with electronic game devices. Is Sony's movie game formula is to be more prevalent?

No need for higher tier skills that of required in most pvp games such as mmo, cs. No need for guides or youtube cheese stategies like Souls games.

Mechanics are almost barebones that most of the population will soon be able to easily pickup and experienced with just a little bit more involvement over simply watching a movie because of how gaming will eventually be, truly mainstream, that almost no one in the entire population can't handle.

People like games. People like movies. Sony blends them together with reasonable praise and success.

While some do say that you get majority of Sony's movie game contents through watching youtube videos, there may still enough of a difference by experiencing it yourself through playing normally.

It seems only a matter of time for the entire AAA industry to copy majority of Sony's formula. Perhaps going to be most apparent with the slew of next gen Xbox games compared to this gen.

• 
rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

The browser bugged out. 404 page not found but actually produced a thread earlier.

I'd appreciate if this duplicate thread gets deleted.

Apologies.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11089 Posts

The hottest games in the world right now don't have a narrative in them as you play. Battle Royales and MOBAs for instance. How long have you been playing games? Sony isn't the only publisher making games with cinematics. Your post comes off like they invented them and they offer no challenge like a walking sim.

If you're not getting any challenges out of these AAA titles, it's because you're playing them on easy or something. Playing a singleplayer title like Uncharted on Crushing mode isn't even close to a walk in the park.

Pcmasterrace69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Pcmasterrace69
Member since 2017 • 373 Posts

Sometimes I like story single player games that sony offers. Sometimes I want multiplayer pvp so I change to gears of war 4 or halo 5. Both options are great depending on my mood ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Sony perfected the cinematic approach this gen and it's a great fit to bring new players to the medium. They are easy, flashy and know how to tell a story.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@phbz said:

Sony perfected the cinematic approach this gen and it's a great fit to bring new players to the medium. They are easy, flashy and know how to tell a story.

This and if you want the game to be harder, choose a harder difficulty.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

I don’t get the hate against cinematic games. If you don’t like them, don’t play them. It’s great that we have different types of games out there.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rzxv04

@npiet1 said:
@phbz said:

This and if you want the game to be harder, choose a harder difficulty.

Self imposed challenges seem also popular. NUR, speed, etc. Depending on your perspective, almost every aspect can be seen as an artificial difficulty (moving out of the game's standard difficulty tier settings and doing stuff like NUR, DDR dance pad, one hand, etc.) if even at the max diff., it may still be relatively easy.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Maybe,maybe not but I certainly hope not.

Even with Sony having the most popular game console at the moment does not mean all kids play games on a Sony console. It's actually far more likely that most people who play video games do not use a Sony console at all and touch screen is far more likely to be the gaming skills that kids develop.

Some interesting gaming data (this was compiled in 2018)

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Nah, movie games aren't as popular as game that actually require skill.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@pcmasterrace69 said:

Sometimes I like story single player games that sony offers. Sometimes I want multiplayer pvp so I change to gears of war 4 or halo 5. Both options are great depending on my mood ;)

Yup, this. Sometimes I feel like eating barbecue, others chinese. Its the same with games. But you come to SW and it feels like people dont like having options or something...

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rzxv04

@GarGx1 said:

Maybe,maybe not but I certainly hope not.

Even with Sony having the most popular game console at the moment does not mean all kids play games on a Sony console. It's actually far more likely that most people who play video games do not use a Sony console at all and touch screen is far more likely to be the gaming skills that kids develop.

Some interesting gaming data (this was compiled in 2018)

Good stuff. I daresay mobile will inherit the PC market down the line. Probably around a decade from now.

@zaryia said:

Nah, movie games aren't as popular as game that actually require skill.

Probably true. mobs and even mobile pvps can easily get much harder than Sony games.

@pcmasterrace69 said:

tbh, I want all of them. There simply ain't enough at this point.

MS could be headed towards Sony style movie games for campaign since it might be the natural evo. Have you seen the latest gears trailers? So many people whining "periods of war/anti feminist" stuff. "teen drama". I'm sure that's at worst remotely related to how Sony's "moody" exclusives are as opposed to the 360's dude bro formula.

MS seem to have been even trying "harder" towards movie-fication or "holywood-fication" by adding tv stuff of even real holly actors. QB and Halo 5 but nowhere near the reception of Last of Us, God of War, Uncharted 4, HZD where most aren't even copy-pasta face models of real actors.

I'm hoping MS finally nails the proof of concept, next gen, where "Movie game" with very good and popular MP (360 gears/halo glory days?) aren't mutually exclusive. I wonder if Sony can do it this gen with TLoU2's MP. I'm guessing the TLoU2's mp is gonna have some battle arena influence that's insanely popular nowadays and might be a natural fit to the game.

That being said, I have no statistics for this. I just felt like Gears and Halo were much stronger forces last gen.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

All the people I know with kids (8-12 years or so) say they are obsessed with either Fortnite or are moving on to Apex Legends.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Hopefully not. From my understanding, the whole "cinematic" formula can get in the way of replay value at times. One of my most favourite games is Killing Floor 2 and the only "story" it has is "Biotech company goes rogue. Kill a bunch of mutant clones, get paid, buy better guns, kill more mutant clones" and that's a far more replayable experience than a AAA narrative-driven game tbh.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@flashn00b: Killing Floor was fun a few days but man it got boring and repeative quick.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rzxv04

@flashn00b said:

Hopefully not. From my understanding, the whole "cinematic" formula can get in the way of replay value at times. One of my most favourite games is Killing Floor 2 and the only "story" it has is "Biotech company goes rogue. Kill a bunch of mutant clones, get paid, buy better guns, kill more mutant clones" and that's a far more replayable experience than a AAA narrative-driven game tbh.

Makes you think if they have to restructure budgets.

Replayability might become almost a non-factor when if games become more and more disposable like movie-watching/rentals thanks to what would possibly become netflix-ization.

I've done my fair share of mmos and I've gotten tired of that by just sticking to them.

I just rent games, at most, play the campaign thrice and then I am on to the next one.

That being said, MP will still probably rule the roost but I still see the welcome of "movie games" growing steady but who knows.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Um... I just don't get the question here.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rzxv04

Just saw the Fallen Order. Might be a step towards this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GLbwkfhYZk

Hope they really don't do crazy microtransactions.