Are you a gaming nostalgist?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you a gaming nostalgist? (28 votes)

No, gaming really was better back then. 32%
Yes, nostalgia affects how I feel about games back then. 39%
It's all the same shit. Gaming is not better or worse. 29%

Which side do you fall on? I personally admit that part of the allure of the past was the nostalgia of growing up with games :) But there are definitely games that do deserve praise just for how great they were for that time.

• 
Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

Yep. I most certainly am.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Yes I am "nostalogic".

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

yes, but i know games are better than before.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

No, in fact, I never go back to games after they are played the first time.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46289 Posts

I loved gaming back then

and I love gaming right now

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

Games were actually worse back then, but that's the technology that was avaliable at the time

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

As many great games as there are today, nothing ever touches the days when I was younger and playing some of the classics. I remember weekends where my bro and I would play FF8 on the same file and switch every so often as we only had one console.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Games back in the day took more chances, AAA games nowadays follow similar trends and I think it causes too much repetition of the same systems. Many games nowadays feel too similiar to each other.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

Yes!

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#10  Edited By gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

You'll need to clarify what era you're talking about. I prefer the 2D era of gaming over the 3D era. 2D games age better as well. Dust: Elysian Tail and Shank are kind of a indie/budget take on a style that should have "AAA" development representation.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I would argue that gaming is different now, not better or worse. There are tons of great games and new features and advances today; likewise there was a ton of shit and shovelware and limitations back then that many seem to have forgotten. That is to say, gaming "sucked" back then and it just "sucks" now in new and different ways, and gaming also had a lot to offer back then and still does now

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Not always.

lot of games were better back then. but some of them improved now.

for example. System shock 2 is better than bioshock, Deus Ex 1 is better than HR and MD but Doom reboot is better than Doom 1 and 2.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58962 Posts

I'm old with a terrible sperm count, so yes.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I am none of those options.

I accept reality. Reality is games are much better now than the past. Games get better every gen.

I am NOT blinded by nostalgia like so many Nintendo fanboys who still think it is 1998.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I think gaming is better now than it has ever been. That does not take away how much fun I have always had with gaming. Gaming has always been pretty great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I definitely overall prefer retro games over modern games. Of course, some of that is made greater by nostalgia, but I don't believe that nostalgia is the only reason and my proof of that is that it is not only the games that I grew up with that I prefer over modern games, but there are also many games that I did not grow up with and only played for the first time in recent years so I have no nostalgia for them yet I still find myself enjoying them more than most modern games.

Some of the reasons that I prefer retro games over modern games are:

--Retro games had a beautiful simplicity to them. The goal was clear, the controls were easy to understand, and they were easy to pick-up-and-play at any time. There was no need for long, boring tutorials like we often get nowadays. Back then, you could just pick up the controller and immediately be having fun.

--Retro games were more challenging. Nowadays, almost any game can be beat by pretty much anybody that puts in the time to play through it. That was not the case back in the day. There are some retro games that I still can't beat yet it is fun to keep trying. I love that tense feeling that you get when playing a really hard retro game like Contra and knowing that you are on your very last life so you can't screw up or else it's game over. That makes it feel so damn good when you finally do beat the game! There are not many modern games that give me that feeling.

--Retro games did not tend to have excessive padding like we often get nowadays just so that publishers can advertise their game as being longer despite the fact that all that padding makes the game feel like a chore to play.

--Retro games were able to provide more over-the-top fun since developers did not put a huge emphasis on realism like they do nowadays.

--The gaming industry did not have to deal with as much political correctness back then. I doubt a game like Punch-Out could ever get created in our current PC culture.

--Gameplay was the most important thing in retro games. Nowadays, gameplay often tends to take a backseat to presentation and story. If I want a movie, I'll watch a damn movie. When I play a game, I'm here for the gameplay.

--Retro game soundtracks were better. I love chiptunes! I tend to forget most modern game music as soon as I'm done with it.

--The limitations that developers had to deal with back then inspired greater creativity. For example, the draw distance limitation that the Silent Hill developers faced is the reason that they put all of the fog in the game which ended up greatly enhancing the game's atmosphere. Limitations can be a good thing since they force people to think outside the box which I think is something that the gaming industry needs more of nowadays.

--Consoles were much more unique back then. The SNES and Genesis had completely different game libraries, completely different controllers, and completely different hardware capabilities. The same is true with the PS1, Saturn, and N64. Compare that to the PS4 and Xbox One which are 90% identical to each other. Boring!

--Retro games came with cool physical media and manuals. It sucks the joy out of me whenever I open a modern game and see how empty it is inside.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I like my legacy games and I like new games. I will say it felt better when you went into a store and came out with a complete game. Even when you could complete it within an hour, the replayability was always a huge focus and you were not being constantly penny pinched. Games like Witcher 3, Skyrim and RDR make me still believe in games but seeing how much SFV was locked behind "season passes" etc really bugs me. So its not the games that were better back then, but the companies got away with less and seemed to show more pride in making sure you got your moneys worth. Plus, Konami was still a real games developer.