Are you a fan of the Bravely Default series?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

I tried getting into it a few times. Had the original and its 3DS sequel. The whole chibi thing really turns me off lol. The battle system seemed ok, but not that fun. Never really got far into it. Now that the third game is coming out on Switch, and there is a demo, it makes me want to check it out again. But it seems more of the same, so I doubt I'll play it. What about you, SW? Are you a fan of the Bravely Default series? Any interest in the Switch game coming out?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

I was until I realize the game requires you to play it multiple times in order to complete the game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Yeah, I really enjoy it. Played the first 3DS game and really liked it but never got around to picking up its sequel. I’m looking forward to the new Switch and will definitely be picking that up.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I'm buying a switch mainly for my family and looking for games I may enjoy on it. I'll have to give the 3Ds version another go..

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@Pedro said:

I was until I realize the game requires you to play it multiple times in order to complete the game.

What do you mean?!

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Never really heard of it but the art style looks super cute! Might check it out soon.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Pedro said:

What do you mean?!

When you "finished" the game it takes you back to the start with all of your stats. There is no ending until you do this twice because its part of the story. So, the game requires you to play through it three times to get to the actual ending. Note this is not alternate ending just an ending.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Pedro said:

What do you mean?!

When you "finished" the game it takes you back to the start with all of your stats. There is no ending until you do this twice because its part of the story. So, the game requires you to play through it three times to get to the actual ending. Note this is not alternate ending just an ending.

Damn, that sucks. In Dragon Quest 11, you get an ending on the first run. But you unlock the true ending in the post game. I think that's better. But I really don't like it when they play with endings like that.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I've never played one. I downloaded the demo today on switch. Looks ok, I don't think it will be my jam

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#10 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

The battle system was innovative, the artstyle was fresh. The first half of Bravely Default was one of the greatest experiences last gen.

It went downhill after the second half.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

As mentioned, the multiple playthroughs to get to the end is the same reason I put down the game. I get it was for "plot" reasons, but they still could have achieved the same impact another way. This was just filler to lengthen the game. I did not play Bravely Second. I'm still excited for the sequel so I might give it another chance.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#12 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2564 Posts

The first one was good, but for some reason the second one didn't caught my attention, If i had a Switch I probably would buy this new one, but definitely not at launch, unless I really liked the collector's edition.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15919 Posts

I am a fan of the 1st game, less the sequel.

Though I will not buy the latest one on release due to bullshit nature of the games. You can end the 1st game at chapter 5 as chapter 6-8 was just bullshit backtracking to get the true ending which doesnt change much. 2nd game suffers from poor pacing and terrible translation. Also need to backtrack.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15919 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Pedro said:

What do you mean?!

Damn, that sucks. In Dragon Quest 11, you get an ending on the first run. But you unlock the true ending in the post game. I think that's better. But I really don't like it when they play with endings like that.

The reason they made you backtrack is due to you locked out of class in the first 4 chapters due to choices you made. It was initially fun choosing different choices to unlock new classes but then the game redo this 2 more times and even though scenes changes on the next run it was pretty repititive. Do note you can skip all that side quest though and just go straight to kill end boss but 4 times is just way to many for a bonus scenes. 2nd game also suffers from this but its reduced to just 1 restart but the game suffers from other problems.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

If you did not like it before do not get it. Stop trying the same things you do not like over and over expecting a different result. There are thousands of games out there to choose from so why bother doing that?

I for one LOVE the series so it is great for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Big time. Perhaps my favorite JRPG series.