Are Sony the biggest industry fools for not meeting the PS5 supply demand?

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

Is Sony the Cyberpunk of the console world? One wonders how hard for a multinational multi-billion corporation that specializes on manufacturing of all kinds of electronics such cellphones, audio and tvs is to meet a demand for a fancy plastic toy box. RTN, they are literally giving away their market share to MS, who doesn't have exclusive games, but they do have Gamepass and they had actually managed to re-supply their stocks for the holidays.

The rumors say Sony will not be able to meet the PS5 demand till spring. By then, the hype will have died out and Sony will have to face the following consequences:

1. Bad rep for not being able to deal with scalpers

2. Console with most expensive games that is impossible to get. Instead of the aura of elitism, they will get annoyed and frustrated customers who will start associate the Sony brand with ineptitude and laziness.

3. Having given away the market share to MS and NS without a fight.

4, Their current ads are working against them: Play Has No Limits, but Sony supply stock.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

Scalpers should be shot.

In the face.

It's best to drop the pretense they aren't huge bottom feeding cunts. And Sony should have used common sense to help mitigate their influence but didn't didn't bother, because they too, are cunts. Who, in reality don't care but fart out a pretense.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

No console has been able to meet demand at launch. Make the scalpers lose money, don't buy from them.

True, sadly the top 1 percent have no problem buying from scalpers.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

I don't think so at all. IvanGrozny, you and I just recently built next gen PC's so you know it's not just the PS5 having supply issues.

I also agree with @girlusocrazy. Console launches have always been nuts but it has been worse this go around. More people playing games now than ever due to the pandemic. Plus now that the sneaker heads figured out they can make a ton of cash over sought after tech this year started scalping. It has just compounded the problems even further. We are seeing the same across the board from the likes of MSFT, nVidia and AMD....same supply and demand issues.

It's in other areas as well and not just tech. Recreation stuff was extremely hard to come by this summer. Took me weeks to find and purchase a Trek mountain bike for my 10yo's birthday this summer. Manufacturers was sold out online and at the local bike stores. Of all freaking things....I had trouble buying a new Sea Doo. Who would have thought? It took me a month and a half just to find and purchase a new one in my area. An $18k toy hard to find???? Sheesh! Just like tech, bikes etc.....BRP couldn't keep up with the supply and demand and had pretty much exhausted their inventory. Seems like the 2020 curse I tell you.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

Not sure when the PS5 or XSX console specs were finalized and when the actual hardware became available (i,e the GPU). But it takes awhile to design and manufacture a console. Plus add COVID to the mix and it is no surprise that SONY, MS, NVIDIA, AMD, etc have supply issues. I dont blame any of them

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

What console launch ever meets demand? Why do you think Sony could produce 50 million consoles in a year? TSMC doesn't have unlimited capacity, they have to fab Zen2, Zen3, RX 5000, RX 6000, smartphone chips etc. And that is just for the SoC.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

As long as I can get a KFConsole at launch does it really matter?

but yeah... scalpers need a good punch in the mouth.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11280 Posts

Sony's launch has been awful, but Microsoft wouldn't have handled it any better if they had the ridiculous demand the PS5 had. They weren't even close yet still struggled.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@ivangrozny: Sony could go out and shoot a baby deer & its mother in broad daylight in front of 100 cameras and Sony would get even more fans, nothing they do will ever be wrong, i mean they fucked up big time with the PS3 and still sold 80 million units.

If anything this will only help Sony and its reputation.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

I was thinking the same thing about both Sony and Microsoft with this new generation. Both are completely dumb to release these systems without enough product to satisfy demand upon release. They should have waited six months to a year and continued to make the supply and then release with enough systems for everybody.

They would have had better games available, more game sales and less scalping.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11088 Posts

But, PS5 is outselling Xbox in every market right now. They'll be fine

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ivangrozny: Are you 12 years old, have you never been through a console launch before? Have you not seen how this exact thing is happening to the newer graphics cards as well (3080)? Dumb thread is dumb.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Dumb thread, what a load of shit.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

nah not really. i don't remember a console launch with such limited supply before, but the cushion here for me is all there is to play is demon souls at £65 f*ckin quid, balls to that, and miles morales which holds no interest at all. if sony are intent on selling new games at £20 more than new ps4 games, it's a blessing in disguise, i will more than happily pick up the console a year late and pay discounted prices for 12 month old exclusives and go elsewhere for multiplats

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

@ivangrozny: Sony could go out and shoot a baby deer & its mother in broad daylight in front of 100 cameras and Sony would get even more fans, nothing they do will ever be wrong, i mean they fucked up big time with the PS3 and still sold 80 million units.

If anything this will only help Sony and its reputation.

Well, it is the FIFA box and casuals don't pay attention to companies fucking up.

Sadly, PlayStation will always sell, no matter how shit it is.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

This is the first console launch I was fully "woke" in.

Doubt it. Sounds like a global issue with these newer high demand chips.

I'd like to get that receipt on how much recent Xbox is increasing it's ratio against PS in unit sales ..but not really. All hail Phil, Nads, Xbeard!

PS5 can su** it! Uggoo console.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Is OP a fool for thinking a pandemic doesn’t exist?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

My guess is that they did what they could, but it’s not so easy. I’m sure they get the downsides, but just couldn’t solve it due to the pandemic. Besides they can do like a second launch when Horizon: Forbidden West arrives.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

Both are failures for having zero launch games.

My ten year old nephew got a ps5 and hasnt even bothered playing with it. Still plays his ps4 as he says there's no games for it.

Xbox just as bad. Mines sitting there not getting used as i have nothing to play. Such a failure of a console launch

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

Lol, this is some low grade trolling.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

People should sue Sony!

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

i found some rocking horse shit,a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow,but i cant find a xbox serious x

facts

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

The hype isn't going die out by Spring.

We're all still going to be knees deep in this pandemic until at least the Summer if not later.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@nfamouslegend said:

What console launch ever meets demand? Why do you think Sony could produce 50 million consoles in a year? TSMC doesn't have unlimited capacity, they have to fab Zen2, Zen3, RX 5000, RX 6000, smartphone chips etc. And that is just for the SoC.

In recent mind? WiiU.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

The problem is not with Sony but with the fabs supply chain. Samsung, TSMC all are affected by it mostly due to COVID. They can't get enough wafers especially when they have higher priority clients like Apple and enterprise. Hence the reason GPUs and CPUs from both Nvidia and AMD are also in short supply.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

with the pndemic we have right now, if anything, we should praise sony and MS for releasing their console at this time.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

No console has been able to meet demand at launch. Make the scalpers lose money, don't buy from them.

This^

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Sony itself wants to manufacture thousands of PS5 everyday but the problem is the parts availability. Bloomberg covered on the low yield of PS5 SoC and also stories of difficulty in getting a steady stock of DRAM and NAND memory.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts

I think MS is the fool. They're releasing limited supply to the public just to sound like their console is sold out like the PS5. xD

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I think the biggest mistakes with regard to next gen systems is battling scalpers, and that goes to both Sony and MS.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Dumb thread, what a load of shit.

I don't usually come out and say it, but yeah, this is a really dumb thread.