Are internal power supplies a bad idea (Ultimate riveting discussion thread)!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Estrowin
Member since 2018 • 66 Posts

The original Xbox One is a beast that last to this day where PS4 fail.

Ask any hardcore pc user and they will tell you that you want the power supply away from the components.

Biggest flaw of the series x and ps5 are the lack of an external power supply. It makes me consider building a pc and saving my business for more competent companies

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Are you talking about a power brick? My PSU on my PC is internal, because that's where they go...

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Estrowin

@lundy86_4:

It’s insanely dangerous to put a power supply or power brick as you do boorishly put it... inside a closed space. They need room to breathe hence Xbox 360- Xbox ones masterful design having them outside the box.

All pro pc builders do the same

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69470 Posts

Internal for me.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lundy86_4

@estrowin said:

@lundy86_4:

It’s insanely dangerous to put a power supply or power brick as you do boorishly put it... inside a closed space. They need room to breathe hence Xbox 360- Xbox ones masterful design having them outside the box.

Righto, you're a troll. Goodbye.

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Estrowin

@lundy86_4:

Stop plotting against me and calling me a troll because I have more knowledge of PCs

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4

@estrowin said:

@lundy86_4:

Stop plotting against me and calling me a troll because I have more knowledge of PCs

Of course... I have my PC PSU on my balcony. I run the cables through the external wall.

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Estrowin

@lundy86_4: I know you are trying to be funny cowboy man... but any electronic must stay inside to work. Sunlight and extreme weather destroys the functions of the circuits

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lundy86_4

@estrowin said:

@lundy86_4: I know you are trying to be funny cowboy man... but any electronic must stay inside to work. Sunlight and extreme weather destroys the functions of the circuits

Shit... In that case, i'll ask my downstairs neighbour if I can store the PSU there and run cabling outside (concrete floors) and up to my level and through the wall. Do I have to pay their insurance due to a fire hazard?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Doesn’t it really depend on a bunch of different factors such as build quality, ventilation, space, etc. I don’t think either/or is inherently better or worse in general, just dependant on the situation.

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Estrowin

@lundy86_4: power supply’s are supposed to be in close proximity to the machine wiseguy but not too close.

It’s a balancing act but it should be like the Xbox 360 or Xbox one. Microsoft practically invented the modern PC and they would know a thing or two about how to design consoles.

Xbox series x/s cheaped out to battle the ps5 because it is more expensive to case an external power supply but it would have been the right move. I would gladly pay 50$ extra for an external power supply

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Estrowin

@Archangel3371: in general the bigger the box the better vents the better the life of the thing

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lundy86_4

@estrowin said:

@lundy86_4: power supply’s are supposed to be in close proximity to the machine wiseguy but not too close.

It’s a balancing act but it should be like the Xbox 360 or Xbox one. Microsoft practically invented the modern PC and they would know a thing or two about how to design consoles.

Xbox series x/s cheaped out to battle the ps5 because it is more expensive to case an external power supply but it would have been the right move. I would gladly pay 50$ extra for an external power supply

Right. So i'll put it in the hallway outside and run from the electrical socket out there... I'll just have to run the cables under my front door... Still, that door is metal, with metal frames, so will that be an issue?

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Estrowin

@lundy86_4: you put it beside the pc. That is the correct way to play. Not inside it or too far away.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4

@estrowin said:

@lundy86_4: you put it beside the pc. That is the correct way to play. Not inside it or too far away.

My hallyway is only 25-ft away (one bed condo). I feel that's the safest bet. I can't risk the PSU being too close, or inside my PC. BTW, i'm running a 3080/5900X... They may run kinda hot.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Recalling the alternative, I'd much rather facilitate a giant box than a moderately-sized box with a giant power brick.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lundy86_4

@lundy86_4 said:
@estrowin said:

My hallyway is only 25-ft away (one bed condo). I feel that's the safest bet. I can't risk the PSU being too close, or inside my PC. BTW, i'm running a 3080/5900X... They may run kinda hot.

You took too goddamn long... My place is literally on fire... What do I do?

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

PlayStation consoles have always had internal power supplies (power brick?) and I have never seen a PC with an external PSU. Never had a problem with that.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I'm not sure the answer to such a blanket question is that easy. It really depends on the design because although power supplies do generate heat, most power bricks also lack any kind of ventilation or cooling that a power supply may benefit from if installed internally. But only if the cooling capabilities of that system can handle that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@estrowin said:

@lundy86_4:

I know they exist, but I can't think of any desktop PC with an external power supply.

I would dare say that almost all desktop PC's have an internal power supply unless they're some weird workstation tablet-thingy.

Not really sure what you are talking about, and why you think they are dangerous: I built my PC so the fan points outside my case, pulling cool air from outside the case into the system.

My GPU get's as hot as 85 C under load (which is normal, but on the high end) and my CPU as high as 60...I don't think a warm PSU is really an issue.

Just keep it dusted every so often and keep it away from carpet if you're concerned about sparks or catching things on fire (which, again, won't happen since these things are temperature controlled and will shut off before catching fire).

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

You took too goddamn long... My place is literally on fire... What do I do?

Oh no Lundy, you must escape from that stock photo! Quick grab that rope:

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think the troll account got enough attention