Aol Article "Game over for gamestop?" Lost 1.55 billion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

It may not be long before GameStop (GME) becomes more Stop than Game.

The video game retailer is coming off another disappointing quarter. Sales plunged 11% to $1.55 billion, well short of the $1.61 billion that Wall Street was expecting. Same-store sales fell by a problematic 9.3%.

It gets worse.

Even the thrifty die-hard gamers are now staying away.

I'll Give You $7 for That Old Super Mario Game

Video game sales have been sluggish for three years, but GameStop has survived on the strength of its resale business. The chain's thousands of small-box stores will gladly take in your pre-owned games and gear in exchange for store credit or a little bit of cash.

GameStop then refurbishes the consoles, cleans the discs and cartridges, and sells them as discounted pre-owned items.

Gallery:Nine Great American Companies That Will Never Recover

Gamers complain that the chain is ripping them off, and they're probably right. GameStop offers so little in credit that even at marked-down resale price it's where the chain scores its thickest profit margins.

Well, either consumers have caught on or they're no longer interested in playing older games. Pre-owned sales fell by a whopping 11% in GameStop's latest quarter.

There Isn't Always an Option to Continue

This was supposed to be the last line of defense at GameStop. As software publishers and players embrace digital delivery, there isn't necessarily a need for a physical retailer as a middleman.

Software companies won't shed a tear for the demise of GameStop. Keep in mind that they only get paid on new releases. And developers and royalty-collecting console makers don't collect any money on pre-owned sales.

Related Articles

• GameStop Is Starting to Get Scary
  • GameStop Doesn't Want to Die
  • Can GameStop Make the Digital Jump?

Gaming websites reported last year that Microsoft (MSFT) and Sony (SNE) were even considering either going all digital or incorporating features that would prevent secondhand games from playing on the new consoles that should hit the market within the next two years.

However, pre-owned sales were supposed to be resilient. Older games were supposed to have long shelf lives if the discounts were ample, and this business was supposed to continue thriving as penny-pinching gamers wax nostalgic.

Well, those days are apparently over.

It's a Model in Flux

It was just three years ago that Activision Blizzard (ATVI) raised the bar -- or at least the bar chord -- with the release ofGuitar Hero.

GameStop executives were even exploring ways to grow their store space to accommodate the plastic guitars andRock Banddrum kits that were all the rage.

Well, that rhythmic music craze died quickly. Activision Blizzard went on to ax the fake guitars, and GameStop went back to gamers who were starting to turn to smartphones and tablets as outlets for cheap casual and social games.

Obviously there's no comparison between a $60 copy ofSkyrimand a $0.99Angry Birdsapp, but for mainstream audiences it's been more than enough. There's a reason that physical hardware and software sales in the video game industry have been freefalling since 2009.

Where does that leave GameStop?

With its high-margin resale business teetering, net income plunged 32% in its latest quarter. GameStop may point to its digital and mobile sales as growth markets, but those two categories added up to just 11% of GameStop's sales this past quarter.

Things seem to get worse with every passing quarter.

The Ever-Shrinking Small-Box Retailer

Back in March, GameStop was targeting positive comps of 1% to 5% for the entire fiscal year. Two months later the outlook for same-store sales was down to between flat and off by 5%. In last week's report, GameStop's eyeing comps to fall by as much as 10% this year.

GameStop has a clean balance sheet. The stores are still profitable. It's been buying back shares sadly, at higher prices -- to keep earnings on a per-share basis respectable.

However, this story doesn't end well.

It's been 10 months since my original "Why GameStop Will Never Be Great Again" article, and the stock has shed a quarter of its value. Even with a beefy dividend that was hiked last week, investors know that GameStop's relevance is on a downward spiral.

It was a good run, but the market's ready to play a different game now.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

success_baby.jpg

Everyone who loves gaming should rejoice! :D

todd2r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 todd2r
Member since 2009 • 2615 Posts
GameStop blows. I pretty much just shop amazon for my gaming needs.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I'm torn. I hate Gamestop with a passion but I'm really not into cheering for people losing their jobs.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Here we're going to get a bunch of people who hate GameStop due to simple business practice or because they simply miss out on the good sales they have. If you actually have been jipped several times by employees there, simply don't go to that one. End of rant, shame they losing money.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

You can only screw people over for so long before they stop showing up.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
Would be great if they didn't exist... New games already opened for you... What service! Used games scratched to hell and back. Over priced. Stop going there a long time ago. Internet sites are many times better.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Good

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

I'm torn. I hate Gamestop with a passion but I'm really not into cheering for people losing their jobs.

heretrix
While I agree with this, I understand the use of the second hand market has been around for hundreds of years. BUT gamestop is shooting themselves in the foot. I mean the trade in ratio to cost ratio is ridiculous and it all comes down to how much the big wig execs wanna make at the end of the year. If I trade in a game and get 20 dollars for it It shouldn't be jacked up a %150. Sell it for 40 or 45 not 55.
MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts

heretrix
+1
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Why the Gamestop hate?

I have no such retailer chain where I'm from, so I'm out of touch with the issue...

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

Why the Gamestop hate?

I have no such retailer chain where I'm from, so I'm out of touch with the issue...

Rocker6
Have you ever tried to re-sell games at gamestop?
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Here we're going to get a bunch of people who hate GameStop due to simple business practice or because they simply miss out on the good sales they have. .

or because they are bad for the the industry?
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Animal-Mother

While I agree with this, I understand the use of the second hand market has been around for hundreds of years. BUT gamestop is shooting themselves in the foot. I mean the trade in ratio to cost ratio is ridiculous and it all comes down to how much the big wig execs wanna make at the end of the year. If I trade in a game and get 20 dollars for it It shouldn't be jacked up a %150. Sell it for 40 or 45 not 55.

That's precisely why I'm torn. The company has sh!tty business practices but they employ a lot of people. They are also responsible for a large percentage of retail game sales, I shutter to think what that would do to the industry as a whole if they go down. I think they suck ass, but if they fold the vacuum is going to be pretty large.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

heretrix

That's precisely why I'm torn. The company has sh!tty business practices but they employ a lot of people. They are also responsible for a large percentage of retail game sales, I shutter to think what that would do to the industry as a whole if they go down. I think they suck ass, but if they fold the vacuum is going to be pretty large.

Buy online, or go to somewhere like target or best buy *shrug*

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

heretrix

if it helps Gamestop is the 10th worse place to work in the US and they have an extremely high employee turnover

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
people who get rip off is their fault. people who take advantage of game stop specials =win
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
people who get rip off is their fault. people who take advantage of game stop specials =win
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
Hopefully the go out of business soon, that way I can take advantage of their going out of business sales/deals.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

heretrix

Big deal.

The good of Gamestop getting the **** out of business far outweighs the bad.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

heretrix

This.

Having worked at GameStop for almost 2 years, I've pretty much resolved never to shop there again but that's more to do with the shi**iness of the company itself and its policies rather than the people who work there because they're generally decent people.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

if it helps Gamestop is the 10th worse place to work in the US and they have an extremely high employee turnover

rilpas

That kind of skews things though, because the sh*tty jobs at Gamestop are the ones at the store level, and those people have it pretty easy in terms of finding a new job (if you were a sales associate you can make the same $10/hour flipping burgers or whatever, and you can find a job pretty much anywhere with store management experience). It's the people working office or distribution jobs that will be screwed over by any layoffs.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Game21x

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Slow_Show

That kind of skews things though, because the sh*tty jobs at Gamestop are the ones at the store level, and those people have it pretty easy in terms of finding a new job (if you were a sales associate you can make the same $10/hour flipping burgers or whatever, and you can find a job pretty much anywhere with store management experience). It's the people working office or distribution jobs that will be screwed over by any layoffs.

:lol: $10 an hour.

GameStop pays minimum wage.

I cannot express in words how much I hate that company. F**k them.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] While I agree with this, I understand the use of the second hand market has been around for hundreds of years. BUT gamestop is shooting themselves in the foot. I mean the trade in ratio to cost ratio is ridiculous and it all comes down to how much the big wig execs wanna make at the end of the year. If I trade in a game and get 20 dollars for it It shouldn't be jacked up a %150. Sell it for 40 or 45 not 55. blue_hazy_basic

Buy online, or go to somewhere like target or best buy *shrug*

That's EXACTLY what I do.:) I haven't shopped there in years.

Sun_Universe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sun_Universe
Member since 2012 • 312 Posts

Game over, Gamestop.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Slow_Show

The_Game21x

Minimum wage is $10.25 'round these parts.somuchwin

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Slow_Show

F*cking BONK!spot...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44715 Posts
this is some of the worse speculation as to their losses, it probably has more to do with the lack of strong releases this year with lots of stuff being pushed back to 2013, overall people just aren't coming in to buy games when no new games are being released, and people aren't going to come back to buy games as they drop in price because GameStop doesn't keep a new copy inventory of games I don't doubt that used game sales though play some part in this, part of the used game strategy is to discontinue inventory of new copies of games shortly after release, even though there are few interesting and big new games to make gamers bother to come into the store to make purchases, I imagine many gamers simply don't want to pay $60 for new games (or even the $55 used newer games), sometimes I imagine people are just like "I want to play that game, but I'll wait until it's $40/$30/$20 for a new copy".... but again they don't keep new copy inventory of older games, this discourages me from shopping there I just take my business to Amazon
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_Game21x

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

Slow_Show

Minimum wage is $10.25 'round these parts.somuchwin

Right.

Canada.

I forgot. :(

*sigh*

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Animal-Mother

I agree, it's the same everywhere, I had a Gamecube with like 15 games (some were fairly bad and worth maybe £10 on a shelf) and a used game store was offering £60 (Gamecube had only been released about a year at the time) and I went and had a look at their shelves and they were selling the system for £80 used and games were on average £20 and they had the nerve to offer me £60 when they would have made that back plus the investment in just the system itself then £140-£180 on the games maybe more. Greedy gits and needless to say I went home with the Gamecube and all the games I took to the store that day. Sheer and utter greed from the higher ups who have no clue the value of what they are in charge of. Sucks that people will lose their jobs rather than change their business practises FOR THE BETTER but that's what happens when the higher ups are completely and utterly disconnected from everything under them.
ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts

heretrix
Same here. I do not fancy GS or shop there, but I can always appreciate a successful business model...however long it may last.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

heretrix
Let them rot they force gamestop crappy policies on me,and defend the store at broken back,so let them go down with the ship,burger king,mc donalds and many other fast food chain are taking people,it was not like gamestop was paying their employes a ton of cash either.
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
i hate going to Gamestop. they practically put a gun to your head just to pre-order a game at the registers. you would think after the 2nd time i say "no thank you" they would take a hint but they just keep on.. its a huge turn off shopping there
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
i hate going to Gamestop. they practically put a gun to your head just to pre-order a game at the registers. you would think after the 2nd time i say "no thank you" they would take a hint but they just keep on.. its a huge turn off shopping there
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Why the Gamestop hate?

Chris_Williams

Have you ever tried to re-sell games at gamestop?

"I have no such retailer chain where I'm from, so I'm out of touch with the issue..."

My post already answered your question, also I'm PC only, so no re-selling games for me.

But fine, I get what's the problem now...

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts
I've been saying for years that gamespot's business practices were not sustainable. Their used game prices are higher than brand new copies at Best Buy, not to mention they still have a used copy of Tetris DS at my local store going for almost $30 and the manager is completely helpless on changing the price, so the thing will pretty much sit there till they throw it out. For a while they were turning away people who didn't pre-order new games even when they'd have boatloads of copies and were right next door to a freaking Walmart...They literally gave their business to the competition! There is so much pressure on the staff to sell you the strategy guide, to pre-order, or to get their stupid card that it becomes a complete annoyance to pick up anything there sometimes since their policies basically encourage staff to badger their customers. They just seem to be running their business like they still think they are the only place on the block to buy games and that kind of attitude is biting them right in the ass.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Gamestop going out of business would be horrible for the gaming industry. I don't shop there, and annoyances like having to get Xenoblade Chronicles at Gamestop or "preorder at gamestop for exclusive DLC!" would be put to rest, but just look at the insane amount of new games sold at Gamestop. Their used game market is really propping up the console industry at this point, and Gamestop going under could lead to a short term collapse of the gaming industry as a whole.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

Gamestop going out of business would be horrible for the gaming industry. I don't shop there, and annoyances like having to get Xenoblade Chronicles at Gamestop or "preorder at gamestop for exclusive DLC!" would be put to rest, but just look at the insane amount of new games sold at Gamestop. Their used game market is really propping up the console industry at this point, and Gamestop going under could lead to a short term collapse of the gaming industry as a whole.

PurpleMan5000
A number of publishers and studios hate Gamestop's used game market. If anything a lot of them would probably rejoice at news of them going under. And frankly saying that it will lead to a collapse of the gaming industry is like saying the book industry was going to collapse if Borders went under...and that sure as hell didn't happen.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#42 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Well, cant say that they didnt have it coming. But it's not really worth celebrating, really. They stock games, a wide range of them too all the way down to the niche. If they go down, that's less incentive for publishers/developers to make games that other retailers wont stock.
Avatar image for todd2r_Partdeux
todd2r_Partdeux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 todd2r_Partdeux
Member since 2012 • 762 Posts
Wow Sony is done. They lost 1.5 billion?!? They are officially fu......oh it's GameStop. My bad. Same thing though.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#44 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Minimum wage is $10.25 'round these parts.somuchwinSlow_Show
Our minimum wage is $15.25. >:[ (Just pretend everybody in the strategically placed praiseland of Australia imports from overseas)
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Wow Sony is done. They lost 1.5 billion?!? They are officially fu......oh it's GameStop. My bad. Same thing though. todd2r_Partdeux
:lol:
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
I'd say all these online passes probably has something to do with it. If next gen consoles block used games, then goodbye gamestop.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]

Ilikemyname420

A number of publishers and studios hate Gamestop's used game market. If anything a lot of them would probably rejoice at news of them going under. And frankly saying that it will lead to a collapse of the gaming industry is like saying the book industry was going to collapse if Borders went under...and that sure as hell didn't happen.

Yes, but if they were right, the gaming industry would be doing better. Certain publishers have been waging war on used games since 2010 and look at overall video game sales since then.

Gaming-sales-2012.png

2012 is going to be the worst year for the video game industry since the launch of the Wii and PS3, and a large part of that has to do with most of the major releases crippling the experience of paying customers with online passes and garbage DLC. Why would people go to Gamestop if they don't participate in the used game market? Gamestop is going to have to lower the cost of used games, which is good for some consumers, but they will also lower the price they offer people who trade their games in, which will further diminish new game sales. Just look at the evidence. The industry's war on used games is about as effective as the the US government's war on drugs.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13566 Posts

Amazon is where I mainly buy my games.

Xenoblade was about the only game I bought in Gamestop in a 2 year span.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
GameStop blows. I pretty much just shop amazon for my gaming needs. todd2r
And thanks to the MS dropping core and going casual, we dont need to worry about buying too many pesky games for the 360. Now the PS3 on the other hand, oh lawdy, it's breaking bank brother with all the world class, high scoring exclusives it enjoys.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Slow_Show

Our minimum wage is $15.25. >:[ (Just pretend everybody in the strategically placed praiseland of Australia imports from overseas)illmatic87

But you guys have to deal with nature's boss level-tier snakes and spiders and box jellyfish and sh*t, so it's like hazard pay.