Anyone feel this way about the cell?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PS_John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PS_John
Member since 2008 • 687 Posts

Well so far the PS3 is on par with the 360 graphics wise BUT do you guys think when devs work out how to utilise the cell to its maximum it will be like the ps4 is out graphics wise?

Look at it this way, the PS3 can have 50gb games and heck even crysis was less than 20.. I think the PS3 has the potential to do better than crysis as there will be more room for the textures and things on the bluray, and the cell should be able to run it when it is figured out

We are already seeing games like MGS4 and KillZone2 which look amazing but they still full short of Crysis, but give it another year and it will be a whole new story!

bladeeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bladeeagle
Member since 2006 • 1863 Posts

Well so far the PS3 is on par with the 360 graphics wise BUT do you guys think when devs work out how to utilise the cell to its maximum it will be like the ps4 is out graphics wise?

Look at it this way, the PS3 can have 50gb games and heck even crysis was less than 20.. I think the PS3 has the potential to do better than crysis as there will be more room for the textures and things on the bluray, and the cell should be able to run it when it is figured out

We are already seeing games like MGS4 and KillZone2 which look amazing but they still full short of Crysis, but give it another year and it will be a whole new story!

PS_John

No.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
So you're saying the PS3's graphics will eventually look as good as the PS4's graphics? That makes no sense!
Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

Wow did you buy into their hype :lol: Your still eating up all the hype they gave you.

As far as you said......Just Wait basicly :lol:

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Look at it this way, the PS3 can have 50gb games and heck even crysis was less than 20.. I think the PS3 has the potential to do better than crysis as there will be more room for the textures and things on the bluray, and the cell should be able to run it when it is figured outPS_John
you need room on the RAM in particular for textures. hard drive or disc space doesn't matter. PC gpu's have massive troubles with 'high' using 256mb or 320mb cards, and 512 is pretty much the bare minimum for gpu alone. Crysis in total was only something like 6GB.
-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 -Wheels-
Member since 2005 • 3137 Posts
Nope, MGS4 uses the cell to its full ability apparently.
ejstrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ejstrup
Member since 2005 • 2192 Posts

Nope, MGS4 uses the cell to its full ability apparently.-Wheels-

do you really think that?

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

PS_John
You don't seem to understand how things work. Having more space doesn't equal better graphics. The storage media has 0 play in that department. It is the CPU, GPC, and memory that play a role in graphics.
-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Wheels-

[QUOTE="-Wheels-"]Nope, MGS4 uses the cell to its full ability apparently.ejstrup

Idk, I didn't work on MGS4.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I wish I could wait that long, but I want it now!!!! :cry:
thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

PS_John

So to sum up what you're saying.

JUST WAIT!

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts
he means that sony will give the devs the KEY TO THE CELL after their "10 year plan" and it'll be ps4 without buying a ps4. poor cow. :lol:
Shrinekeeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shrinekeeper
Member since 2003 • 331 Posts

haha lets just wait and see.

Wait... that seems to be a very common word in association with Sony.

wait wait wait wait ..... wait some more. PS4 comes out and guess what.... everyone is still WAITING! :p

xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts

[QUOTE="-Wheels-"]Nope, MGS4 uses the cell to its full ability apparently.ejstrup

Kojima has said it himself that the ps3 could not do what he wanted and that he was disappointed with the limitations he had to put on his game.This game uses the ps3 to its full potential.
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts

Someone should tell you that storage space =/= better graphics. What holds back both the PS3 and 360 when compared to the PC is ram. Another person duped by teh cell. :lol:

PS_John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PS_John
i google searched a screenshot of crysis and it is 400kb and then i searched mario and they are like 50kb

So more room does mean better graphics

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dhjohns

storage space does mean you can have better graphics

i google searched a screenshot of crysis and it is 400kb and then i searched mario and they are like 50kb

PS_John

Please stop here. It will only get worse. Storage space can affect graphics in theory, but in reality it is the ram hurting consoles.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

PS_John

This made me laugh. Honestly man you have no idea what you're talking about and bought into the cell hype. The ps3 is a solid machine but it cannot do Crysis visuals not mention visuals better than crysis.

PS_John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PS_John
[QUOTE="PS_John"]

sirk1264

This made me laugh. Honestly man you have no idea what you're talking about and bought into the cell hype. The ps3 is a solid machine but it cannot do Crysis visuals not mention visuals better than crysis.

Ok I know this is a bit different but the PS3 can run bluray films at 1080p so whats to say it cant run crysis at something like 720p? In theory they are being runned on the same bluray drive

PS_John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PS_John
come on ppl i need ur views
juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 juno84
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts
The PS3 is limited more in the GPU department than CPU. If you are asking if there is still some untapped potential left in the PS3 (or consoles in general) then I would say probably. It won't be anything huge like you are thinking, but I'm sure the last games of this gen will look a bit better than they do now. Devs will learn to make graphics look better while functioning within the hardware's limitations.
Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts
Man, just imagine you had a penny for every ounce of hype you've bought into, you'd be the richest man in the world!!! ;)
DarthKalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DarthKalo
Member since 2006 • 902 Posts
[QUOTE="sirk1264"][QUOTE="PS_John"]

PS_John

Ok I know this is a bit different but the PS3 can run bluray films at 1080p so whats to say it cant run crysis at something like 720p? In theory they are being runned on the same bluray drive

Bluray films are not being processed by the PS3. They are being streamed through the hardware.

For you to be able to interact with anything on screen in a videogame, the CPU has to process your request with the gamecode. Bluray HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS, that is just what Sony wants you to believe.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sirk1264

PS_John

The ps3 and 360 couldn't even do COD4 at 720p. It can't do GTAIV which is a big open world at 720p. What makes you think that a demanding game like crysis will run at 720p. Movies don't need much to run at 1080p. There is not enough ram to run a game at crysis visuals. you realize crysis demands at least 2 gigs of ram to run at high or very high i think. The consoles have only 512MB of ram. Not even a gig.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

PS_John
not if the ps3 does not support DX10 it won't
Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pietrooper
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts

The cell was the greatest failure in console gaming.

After the Sega Saturn.

-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Wheels-

After the Sega Saturn.

Pietrooper

Ooo, that wasn't nice.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts
PS3 still has potential and surely no game has used its full power, but i dont expect games to be 10x graphically better than Uncharted later on in the PS3's life...
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 delta3074
oh, and i forgot, a 1000mb of ram (which i know niether the 360 or the ps3 has)
The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_Crucible
Member since 2007 • 3305 Posts

PS_John

Just stop, dude. I am a HUGE PS3 supporter and you are completely lost here. You make us all look bd when you go on about things you don't know.

And your lack of knowledge is proven when comparing a movie and a video game. For starters, a movie is a pre-rendered video file. A game is not, not at all.

PS_John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PS_John
[QUOTE="PS_John"][QUOTE="sirk1264"][QUOTE="PS_John"]

DarthKalo

Bluray films are not being processed by the PS3. They are being streamed through the hardware.

For you to be able to interact with anything on screen in a videogame, the CPU has to process your request with the gamecode. Bluray HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS, that is just what Sony wants you to believe.

The PS3 interacts with bluray aswell? How else could you rewind pause etc?

-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -Wheels-
[QUOTE="PS_John"][QUOTE="sirk1264"][QUOTE="PS_John"]

The_Crucible

Just stop, dude. I am a HUGE PS3 supporter and you are completely lost here. You make us all look bd when you go on about things you don't know.

And your lack of knowledge is proven when comparing a movie and a video game. For starters, a movie is a pre-rendered video file. A game is not, not at all.

Idk, have you ever played Sewer Shark, it's teh next gen pre-rendered experience of the century! Well, last century.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Malta_1980

After the Sega Saturn.

Pietrooper

if you're talking about hardware failures, the xbox360 is up in first place, its the most unrealiable piece of hardware (consolewise) ever released... that is a failure...

cell has a different architecture which is hard to program for unless you truly take time, but surely not a failure...

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 The_Crucible
[QUOTE="Pietrooper"]

After the Sega Saturn.

-Wheels-

Ooo, that wasn't nice.

Nor was it true.

I love how 1.5 years or so into a console's life fanboys seem to know its tapped. They call it a failure when it hasn't hardly shown anything yet. :lol:

I agree the TC is off his rocker but you, Pietrooper, are just as bad.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
I personally think sony had their heads in the clouds, or up their own butts. Maybe the next generation there will be more focus on standardizing certain aspects of the hardware for the sake of software development across multiple platfroms. Because its been a big mess for a while now that developers need to spend extra money just to make a working game work on a different system, even then the results arent always perfect.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 delta3074
[QUOTE="Pietrooper"]

After the Sega Saturn.

Malta_1980

if you're talking about hardware failures, the xbox360 is up in first place, its the most unrealiable piece of hardware (consolewise) ever released... that is a failure...

cell has a different architecture which is hard to program for unless you truly take time, but surely not a failure...

in that case 360 is the biggest failure that made the most money.
sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts

I curtain that these consoles can both sirpass the vizuals that Crisis has sett... but befour we try and figuer out when this will accore I think that it would be bettar for all of usa to help me get my IQ up after reading this fread it fell and know I canknot speilberg:|.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VoodooGamer
Member since 2007 • 1864 Posts
[QUOTE="PS_John"]i google searched a screenshot of crysis and it is 400kb and then i searched mario and they are like 50kb

VoodooGamer

That doesn't mean anything. It could have been that the screenshot wasn't compressed as well or it's of a different format. What is more, what is the resolution of each screenshot?

And, storage DOES NOT equal better graphics. I guess you could say that more storage would have the capability to store more textures of a determined size but unless the PS3 can process all those textures or a few texture taken from Crysis(Which it can't) then it is all for not. It's the GPU that processes textures and thus is the most important vehicle in that department. Ram just makes all those textures faster to access which decreases load times and pop-ups but as someone else has already said, the consoles lack enough RAM to run Crysis or anything on it's level.

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pietrooper
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts
[QUOTE="-Wheels-"][QUOTE="Pietrooper"]

After the Sega Saturn.

The_Crucible

Ooo, that wasn't nice.

Nor was it true.

I love how 1.5 years or so into a console's life fanboys seem to know its tapped. They call it a failure when it hasn't hardly shown anything yet. :lol:

No, seriously. All the cell did was cut off tons of PC/Console exclusives and forced developers to have to learn a totally new hardware structure. The way foward is obviously a standard DirectX capable console for ease of cross-platform development.

And according to Sony, it's the main thing that jacked the price of the Playstation 3 up, even above the blu-ray drive.

DarthKalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DarthKalo
Member since 2006 • 902 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"][QUOTE="-Wheels-"][QUOTE="Pietrooper"]

After the Sega Saturn.

Pietrooper

Ooo, that wasn't nice.

Nor was it true.

No, seriously. All the cell did was cut off tons of PC/Console exclusives and forced developers to have to learn a totally new hardware structure. The way foward is obviously a standard DirectX capable console for ease of cross-platform development.

And according to Sony, it's the main thing that jacked the price of the Playstation 3 up, even above the blu-ray drive.

They really shot them selves in the foot on that one.
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dhjohns

oh, and i forgot, a 1000mb of ram (which i know niether the 360 or the ps3 has)delta3074

Being saying this since page 1.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12381 Posts
[QUOTE="ejstrup"]

[QUOTE="-Wheels-"]Nope, MGS4 uses the cell to its full ability apparently.xgraderx

Kojima has said it himself that the ps3 could not do what he wanted and that he was disappointed with the limitations he had to put on his game.This game uses the ps3 to its full potential.

It does not use the full potential of th PS3, nothing has come close to the PS3's full potential, not even Killzone 2.He said it himself afterwards, that MGS4 did not use the full potential of the PS3 and was happy with the finish product.

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dhjohns
[QUOTE="-Wheels-"][QUOTE="Pietrooper"]

After the Sega Saturn.

The_Crucible

Ooo, that wasn't nice.

Nor was it true.

There is the problem right there. 'Nuff said.

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 The_Crucible
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"][QUOTE="-Wheels-"][QUOTE="Pietrooper"]

After the Sega Saturn.

Pietrooper

Ooo, that wasn't nice.

Nor was it true.

Right. And we should have one uniform console spec list as well, right? No one should try to break the mold and do anything different. Everyone just follow the leader like sheep so we get EA-style, cookie-cutter turds handed to us. Great idea.

While i agree that the price was an issue, it has dropped. And most of that is due to lower cost in cell production. Yes, that should have been done before launch but it wasn't. Early adopters got a little screwed, like ALL early adopters do. But don't act like it was leaps and bounds over the 360. And don't act like the features are on par with each other.

Does that say ANYTHING about the power of the cell? The future of the cell? What the cell will do for games the rest of this gen? NO! For all we know, MGS4 is a great as we've read. And that right there is great proof of the cell's power.

Peace.

-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -Wheels-
[QUOTE="xgraderx"][QUOTE="ejstrup"]

[QUOTE="-Wheels-"]Nope, MGS4 uses the cell to its full ability apparently.Nonstop-Madness

It does not use the full potential of th PS3, nothing has come close to the PS3's full potential, not even Killzone 2.He said it himself afterwards, that MGS4 did not use the full potential of the PS3 and was happy with the finish product.

Link please. I'm pretty sure I don't remember hearing that.

PS_John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PS_John
[QUOTE="Pietrooper"][QUOTE="The_Crucible"][QUOTE="-Wheels-"][QUOTE="Pietrooper"]

After the Sega Saturn.

DarthKalo

Ooo, that wasn't nice.

Nor was it true.

Not really if you compare the PS3 to 360..

Xbox 360 Elite - $450
Wireless Adapter - $100
2 Years Xbox live - $100
Battery Pack - $12
Quick Charge Kit - $30

Total - $692

PS3 - $400 Total

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Malta_1980
[QUOTE="Malta_1980"][QUOTE="Pietrooper"]

After the Sega Saturn.

delta3074

in that case 360 is the biggest failure that made the most money.

Ask MS first how much money it lost with the harware problems on Xbox360 before stating it made the most money...

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sirk1264
[QUOTE="DarthKalo"][QUOTE="Pietrooper"][QUOTE="The_Crucible"][QUOTE="-Wheels-"][QUOTE="Pietrooper"]

After the Sega Saturn.

PS_John

Ooo, that wasn't nice.

Nor was it true.

Not really if you compare the PS3 to 360..

Xbox 360 Elite - $450
Wireless Adapter - $100
2 Years Xbox live - $100
Battery Pack - $12
Quick Charge Kit - $30

Total - $692

PS3 - $400 Total

Do not start that crap. Out of the box the 360 pro (which is all you need to get into gaming on the 360, elite is not worth another 100 dollars) is cheaper than the ps3. Do not start with the add on crap saying you need this and this and this because its all optional.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Malta_1980
[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"][QUOTE="xgraderx"][QUOTE="ejstrup"]

[QUOTE="-Wheels-"]Nope, MGS4 uses the cell to its full ability apparently.-Wheels-

Link please. I'm pretty sure I don't remember hearing that.

would like if you give us a link whee you heard/read that MGSIV used the PS3's full potential.... because I didnt read that anywhere, you might have mistaken that MGSIV used the full capacity of the Bly-ray but definately not the PS3's hardware potential....

you should know better, that no console has its full potential tapped/used in the first year and a half...