Anyone else not impressed with next gen consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mcerny905467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 mcerny905467
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I mean just look at this.

http://i.imgur.com/gEvd3p1.jpg

Where's the "graphical leap" like ps2 to ps3?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts

I like consoles......I still play old games where the graphics aren't as good as today. It's about the game play, atmosphere, and story. Games are fun. Period.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

I'm impressed with the PS4, so much so I'm, getting it at midnight on launch night.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

Im really impressee by xbo aside from the fact it isnt as powerful as the ps4. Everything else is a slamdunk and if bf4 is any indication ill live with xbo being a tad underpowered since the differences are oh look at that rock on the ps4 version.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

I could see how someone could be apathetic toward next gen if you're a Lem or Sheep.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Dude. Microsoft hasn't made a dime off of the Xbox brand yet. Think about that. a decade and two systems and the Xbox brand is STILL in the red.

These companies are realizing mighty quick that they can't afford to put out bleeding edge systems anymore, and that average Joe Schmoe console gamer don't give a crap anyhow.

If immersive graphics and performance, if cutting edge technology are an essential part of what you consider to be a good gamign experience, then going to consoles is doing it wrong.

PC is where technology and innovation meet.

Consoles are for the cookie cutter, plug and play experience. It's going around the corner to Mcdonalds vs hopping on a plane to Australia for the Sydney food and wine festival.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I am impressed by Ps4, will get one next year when it got some exclusives i want to play.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

The X1 and PS4 are very lacklustre atm because of their weak game selection, plus the tech in them isn't a big leap at all, so yeah not impressed yet..

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

If you're a PC gamer, the next gen consoles offer almost nothing you haven't seen already, so not much of a reason to be impressed.

But if I were a console gamer, I'd be pretty happy with the technical advances... still I'd wait it out, and wouldn't buy either of them on launch, due to lackluster launch line-ups.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@mcerny905467 said:

I am impressed with XBoxOne. But that is because it's "next gen" features are more than just pretty graphics.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@NameIess_One said:

If you're a PC gamer, the next gen consoles offer almost nothing you haven't seen already, so not much of a reason to be impressed.

But if I were a console gamer, I'd be pretty happy with the technical advances... still I'd wait it out, and wouldn't buy either of them on launch, due to lackluster launch line-ups.

Took all of the words out of my mouth

As a PC gamer I really don't feel the need to jump right in. The games are extremely lacking so far and any of the ones that are interesting I can get for PC. As said above too if you've played on PC for any length of time the upgrade in visuals isn't all that amazing but it's nice to see them get a nice bump from last gen

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Omega-316
Member since 2011 • 981 Posts

@Kinthalis said:

Dude. Microsoft hasn't made a dime off of the Xbox brand yet. Think about that. a decade and two systems and the Xbox brand is STILL in the red.

These companies are realizing mighty quick that they can't afford to put out bleeding edge systems anymore, and that average Joe Schmoe console gamer don't give a crap anyhow.

If immersive graphics and performance, if cutting edge technology are an essential part of what you consider to be a good gamign experience, then going to consoles is doing it wrong.

Consoles are for the cookie cutter, plug and play experience. It's going around the corner to Mcdonalds vs hopping on a plane to Australia for the Sydney food and wine festival.

Yet no PC games look better then Killzone: SF....lol. Man, ill take a big mac for $6 rather then that austrailian crap.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

They haven't been released yet....I would say your judgement is premature.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

No. Not in the least bit with any console. There's been no "must-have" game on any of the 3 platforms. The launch lineups for XB1 and PS4 aren't very impressive and the Wii U has not given me the first party gem I need to justify my purchase.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

you guys always try so hard to make consoles look bad... lol

A Youtube screen-grab VS a direct feed screen-shot from the PC and Killzone still looks better. XD

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

I'm impressed wih the PS4 so far. bF4 and KZSF look great on it and I'm looking forward to playing both on launch day.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46310 Posts

I'm not impressed. At the start of previous gens, consoles always used to beat high end PCs for less than half the money. This isn't the case with this generation though. Nothing I've seen beats Crysis 3, Metro Last Light or GRID 2 or some other amazing looking PC games.

Games like Battlefield 4 and AC4 look better on PC than they do on next gen consoles...

People keep bashing the WiiU because it's supposedly not 'next gen' but atm thats the most interesting console to me, as it has some great exclusives by now and some great looking upcoming games.

danlevm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 danlevm
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

I think the consoles are really going to shine at next years E3..

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I am not because their entire premise is based around a bigger and better hardware when that is not what this last gen desperately needed.. When the PS3 and 360 was released games at launch and soon after they had games that were not tired sequels or genres with minimal change.. That and the fact that there is no backwards compatibility, pisses me off.. With people saying "it isn't important", yet we have companies who are releasing digital versions "remastered "(lazy ports) constantly of older gen game in which would not be necessary if it were backwards compatible.. What perfectly sums up my feelings with the current state of gaming is I spent more time playing Terraria and FTL, games developed by a few people at a budget price, then the majority of big budget games out there.. These games felt like they hard far more content to explore then anything coming to these games.. But what do I know because it seems like people keep lapping this sh!t up.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

For me Ryse is the only truly impressive game so far. I don't like racers like Forza so that is out for me even if it does look stunning. We will see what the final games look and play like though.

What I am truly dissappointed in is that each console is not complete yet and you need all kinds of updates for them to function out the box.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Very good start.

It's amazing how fast people forgot that until one year ago, the expectations for next gen were consoles with 2GB RAM, 3 or 4 times faster than 360 and PS3 and all about motion controls. Instead we got two consoles up to 16x more powerful (the same gap from previous generations) and focused on core gamers.

Haters gonna hate, i guess.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@Omega-316 said:

@Kinthalis said:

Yet no PC games look better then Killzone: SF....lol. Man, ill take a big mac for $6 rather then that austrailian crap.

Lol, here is Joe Schmoe consoel gamer in all his glory.

Don't get too close to the cage though, he bites! Specially since he's so butthurt about the next gen console performance.

Also don't feed him after midnight! He farts like a maniac if you do!

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Im not but i tell myself KZ will be impressive looking so pretty much all relies on that game. If KZ is a blurry jaggies mess with poor textures... there's no hope.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@NameIess_One said:

Pretty much this. Killzone was looking nice, but then I saw actual 1080p screens of it, and well...it looks pretty shitty with horrible anti-aliasing. I'd honestly say the new Batman looks considerably better on PC than Killzone SF. But overall, I am just not impressed, and that's very likely due to the fact that I've been playing high quality PC games for the last few years.

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#25 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

I guess PC gamers arent too impressed for good reasons. However I can understand why a console gamer would be impressed if that is all they know.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

As a PC gamer, no I am not impressed, but that doesn't mean I won't be buying the PS4. Unless Sony drops the ball and doesn't have enough good "exclusive" games for me, I will be getting the PS4 Christmas of 2014.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Not impressed all around.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#28 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

was impressed by the N64, dreamcast, the PS2, and the original Xbox. the others have been disappointing with their game quality improvements. they may have some awesome games you can only play on their respective system but the quality has not improved much over the last generations.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

Nope, I'm totally impressed with what the next generation consoles have to offer. No sarcasm, I'm absolutely looking forward to next gen.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#30 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I'm not.

mdraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 mdraven
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts

they are both using amd enogh said

furthermore i remember when the the ps3 came out i was blown by its power vs my at time top end rig. now my rig can stomp do 360 all around the new (nest gen lol) consoles

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

WiiU looks like ass

Xbox one and PS4 look great, they have the features that look to be mattering in the future. That is online and multimedia features. You can laugh at a console not focusing on games, but I doubt anyone laughs at iPhones now for not being only phones.

The Xbox one looks like it will have apps, snap features, great cloud online... so that right now looks more interesting to me. I certainly will be interested to see what Sony brings over the next 6-7 years. I can see phones becoming dumb devices that just connect to a server and stream everything, especially when wifi, lifi, 4G and whatever other wireless technologies become widespread. Will be interesting to see how they both react to this over coming years, will the Xbox become a windows machine using cloud? who knows.

Longevity won;t come from the hardware, they are both outdated. It will come from their software and features, so that is what I am interested in.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

People said there was one graphical leap between ps2 and ps3. Now people are saying the same all over again. Just sit and wait. Any graphical leap not made apparent to you now will only get better as the life of these consoles go on. Compare launch titles from 05-06 to titles now. It's night and day.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#35 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Not particularly impressed. It's definitely not going to be the leap from the previous gen to current gen. Still, games will get better looking as the years go by.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Not impressed.

I give the next gen consoles a 2/10 would not bang.

Gonna continue PC gaming for the foreseeable future.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts

From a hardware point of view I'm very underwhelmed by both consoles. I know console only gamers and deluded fanboys honestly believe what we are seeing is a massive leap in terms of graphics but it just isn't. Any PC gamer will tell you that. The fact some games still can't manage 1080p and 60fps on either console speaks volumes. As for the games themselves it's just more of the same old stuff, just better looking. This however isn't a console problem but the industry in general. The only thing that remotely excites me is finally consoles get some good MMO's. I like MMO's, along with Strategy and RPG's. I just hope cross platform play as in FF14 is the norm.

Anyway, I will buy both consoles eventually but I've decided to upgrade my PC for now as I see no reason at all to own either next gen console. Yet.

monsterpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By monsterpuncher
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

I dont care for the weaker, more expensive, xbl fee riddled, kinect spy cam tacked on xbone

Plus with the way Microsoft tried to take away gamers rights, im NEVER trusting Microsoft again. Never getting an xbone.

I however am all over the PS4!

Cant wait for my PS4! Just about 18 days to go baby!

The PS4 is truly looking like something special! Its the gamers console - made by gamers for gamers! 100$ cheaper then xbone, yet 50% more powerful then xbone. Sony has been hitting on all the right notes and continues to! PS4 is a juggernaut!

Dare might I say the PS4 even has PS2 vibes of popularity in the air. PS4 is gonna be huge!

Also, Killzone ShadowFall LOOKS miles better then anything on the xbone SO If you arent pleased with the graphics of early PS4 games, then you should be even more disappointed with the xbone's much weaker graphic capabilities and the fact NO XBONE game comes close to touching Killzone in graphics or will ever touch the PS4's best etc

Let me remind you there were NO PS3 launch titles even coming close to being as impressive a leap over PS2 games as Killzone ShadowFall is over PS3 games. GTFO with your revisionist history.

Killzone ShadowFall is a good sized leap over the previous gen, and the thing is its just a PS4 launch title! Remember that! PS4 exclusives will continue to look better etc. More greatness awaits with the PS4!

All you did was say next gen is disappointing, while only using PS4 as your example, and even the example you use is ridiculous

Yeah, whats going on here is obvious.

So sick of these stealth trolling threads from obvious xbot shills trying to bring down the PS4 to the disappointment levels that is the xbone. Stop LUMPING them together! PS4 clearly beats out the Xbone in every respect

And stop with all the shills Microsoft, you sleazy company. It will never work.

monsterpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 monsterpuncher
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

I see the PC being brought up

I dont have over 1,500$ to spend on a PC with comparable specs to a PS4. Price for power PS4 cant be beat. I also refuse to miss out on Playstation exclusives!

Its like this, why game on a PC this gen when you can buy a much cheaper PS4 that will likely get most of the PC exclusives and indies anyway (given how PS4 already has a lot of em at launch) plus will get exclusives the PC or xbone will never ever get etc

Im all over the PS4! Its the best option out there for gamers

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Not really since I don't care about graphics all that much. Oh and I'm a PC guy since that matters for some reason ;). Look forward to getting them when good unique exclusives that take advantage of the hardware come though.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

I'm not impressed about the launch titles, that's about it. Could care less about "teh graphix "

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

As with all transitions to newer tech it will take a while for developers to utilise the full power of next gen.

Games developed late on in a consoles lifespan are generally using close to 100% of it's capabilities so are almost obtaining parity with next gen, which at launch is only using about 60% of the new consoles power.

I know the leap from PS2 to PS3 seemed greater but if you look at PS2 games developed right at the end of it's lifespan then they can easily hold up to early PS3 games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Its not that I'm not impressed, but it isn't graphics anymore. I got to a level with ps3/360 where graphics look great. Yes they will look more life like, crisper, whatever, but so what? At the age of 40 I get it. Tech advances. I accept and expect an upgrade. But the features and multi uses are what is impressing me now. Playing my sega master system years ago, I never dreamed I'd be able to pause a game, video call my brother, check in on a hockey game, and pick back up gaming where I left off. And tracking my fantasy football stats while I watch games. Graphics are nice but they're low on my list at this point. The X1 impresses me because I want an entertainment hub now.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

If you looked at some of the launch games for the 360 or PS3 from good developers, you'd be more impressed. Graphics will basically double over the lifetime of the consoles. Don't ask me what graphics doubling means cause it really doesn't make sense, but you get my drift.

SelfReflect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SelfReflect
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

Caharmy

When I read your OP it translates to:

"xbox 1 does not excite me because it is trounced in every area by PS4 and because I am an xbox fanboy I will simply say that both consoles are bad to save face."

If not being able to brag about your favorite console being the best has such an effect on you then should stop gaming and not blame the "console(s)" because you aren't much of a gamer.

Exactly this ^ and I have been noticing the same thing going on from a lot of xboners lately too

There is even a thread right now on neogaf titled "Did Sony and Microsoft both under power their next gen consoles"

Its from an obvious Microsoft shill using the same damn troll angle

Goes something like this:

"Xbone is under-powered, therefore im going to try to bring down the PS4 with it and simply just say both are under-powered"

So sick of the slimey bullshit tactics like that, that Microsoft shills love to use.

For example they will try to lump the xbone in with the PS4's success "bu bu both are selling well" even though the PS4 is SIGNIFICANTLY out selling the xbone be evey metric

And when it involves Microsoft fucking up or the xbone being shit, it becomes "buu bu buu Sony too...both are this.....both are under-powered etc"

Its all the same variations of the phoney pathetic "Sony too" Microsoft shill arguments.

Its so transparent. Do Microsoft shills really believe that no one else can see through their bullshit. Just ridiculous

So getting back to it,

The PS4 is NOT under-powered like the xbone is so STOP trying to lump them together xbot shills. We can see right through that BS.

The PS4 is more then 50% more powerful then the xbone is. Those are the facts.

Whats amazing is the PS4 doesnt cost you more for that extra power advantage. You pay 100$ less for a PS4 and still get more then 50% more power. Thats bananas. PS4 is significantly cheaper and significantly more powerful. So there is no rational way any one can say its "under-powered" like the xbone is

Power per dollar the PS4 cant be touched. The PS4 offers amazing specs and value for the price its at. The PS4 is anything but under-powered...PS4 is truly amazing all around....

Its the xbone thats insanely under-powered. Its xbone exclusives that cant hold a candle to PS4 exclusives. And its the xbone that has vastly INFERIOR versions of multi-platform games etc etc etc

PS4 is a beast of a GAMING CONSOLE. I could not be happier with my PS4. Loving my PS4 so much

Again, its the xbone that is an under-powered, over-priced, cable box, spying, anti-consumer piece of shit

PS4 is the greatest pure gaming console ever

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@mcerny905467 said:

My HDTVs are bigger than those tiny images. Those images are so small, you can't see the details, not to mention the motion.

Also, launch titles, yadda yadda.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#47 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I'm not impressed.. that's why I went with my budget build and am much more impressed with it then new consoles.

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#48 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

I'm not impressed at all nor has anyone else I know been impressed at all. I actually forgot about them. I still consider the PS3/360 "this generation".

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Those going from console to console will be impressed.

Those from PC to Console, not so much.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#50  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm very impressed with my xbox one.