Anyone else dislikes multiplayer-focused games?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

I know they're the rage. Fallguy, Among Us, Fortnite etc, but I have always had an intense distaste for these games that don't bother delivering a compelling single-player experience.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my multiplayer, so long as the single-player part is catered for properly, and not just an afterthought.

Maybe it's because I'm an old man and don't get all the multiplayer craze of mobile games and F2P, but I'm a much bigger fan of great single-player games where I can hone my skills to challenge what the designers made.

Of course, when it comes to fighting games, shooters, and racing games, that's a different story.

Are there others like me or am I just an old man yelling at the clouds?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I prefer single player and co-op based games. I generally don't bother with competitive only gaming. I've found I'm far too competitive and I end up not having fun with them. If you're not having fun, what's the point?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Same here. I really only play MP now directly with friends - doing a run in Diablo or scavenging with a few friends in 7dtd. I really can't work up the energy to deal with randos any more and I find a solid SP experience much more fulfilling

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 643 Posts

Yes I feel the same way, I much prefer single player games, but also can really enjoy co-op and I don't like pure multiplayer games nearly as much.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

It has its place. A game like among us cannot work as a single player game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I have nothing against multiplayer, but games that offer nothing else but multiplayer can f off. They all should be f2p cuz they don't offer any variety and do nothing else but milk your ass with mtx.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Nah. Just like I don't like sp games with tacked on mp, don't like mp games with tacked on sp. Plenty of games have pulled off both very well of course. But if a game absolutely nails one or the other, couldn't care less. A dope mp game can net me far more mileage than a sp game anyways.

Especially with...

@Juub1990 said:

Of course, when it comes to fighting games, shooters, and racing games, that's a different story.

Oh nvm, carry on lol.

Yeah, some genres are by far at their best in multiplayer, fighting games being one of them.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

Since I do not have friends that play video games and I personally find online multiplayer as de-humanizing as distant learning, I do not touch multi-player-focused games. I have been mostly playing video games by myself for more than thirty-five years and will continue this way until I eventually lose interest in gaming or physically unable to play games due to age.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I wouldn’t say that I dislike multiplayer only games in general but I do prefer games that also include some kind of single player component as well. Still though there are some that I do find very fun and enjoy like Among Us, Fallguys, and Call of Duty Warzone. Never cared or got into others like Fortnite or PUBG though.

neogeo2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 neogeo2k2
Member since 2019 • 145 Posts

I don’t care for MP games.

I do find some of them really boring.

Like FN, I just don’t see how that game has millions of fans.

All my friends play is COD Warzone.

I prefer SP games like RE, TLOU, and the Soulsborne games

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

Gamers have a hierarchy similar to society. Some social classes are attracted to F2P multiplayer games, while others appreciate the crafted single-player games. Just like some enjoy beer and ball games, while others enjoy wine and art.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Still like coop. Like Onward, with a bro in Mexico you've never met, having some interracial "I can barely understand what the **** you're saying" Black Hawk Down moment truly is a wonderful epic gamer moment.

Although it's kinda diminished when a 9 year old joins on a Quest 2 and starts screaming "LOOK LOOK I SHOT ONE".

-

Not really a fan when SP is tacked on. Either do a decent SP with it (or vice versa) or don't bother.

Waiting for a decent followup to SFV, dropped in and out of stuff, not the same feels.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

The only multiplayer I like is local/couch coop. Not happening that much these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

The competitiveness of online gaming takes the enjoyment away for me. I play a lot of online coop though which is good fun.

Avatar image for masonshoemocker
masonshoemocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 masonshoemocker
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts

Old guy here. Prefer multi-player games. Sometimes you only have time to get a quick 30 min. session in and then it's back to kids, the job, the house, etc.

I do love single-player games but once you start getting into it and have to leave in a good part/chapter of a game, it sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I’m the opposite. Single player games feel like a waste of my time. They are often times too hand holding and try to take themselves too seriously. I rather master my skills at a multiplayer game than watch some cutscenes, climb towers to reveal the map or look for “treasure.” Sure there are some good exceptions. But those are like 1 in 100

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

I used to be all about the single player, but they recently put great internet out here in the sticks. Now I enjoy online gaming quite a lot. Both are great. Still think local co op is the best form of multiplayer and always will.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

I just had more fun playing online games like Tribes 1 & tribes Vengeance (3). Tribes 2 had to many issues. Unreal 2004 even the 1st call of duty had great online now its just boring play to win formula kind of killed it for me and other crap

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

To be honest i can't think of a single game that i've played that has just MP, i like MP but not if its only MP if that sense.

And when it comes to MP, i do like playing with randoms especially, in racing games, but with shooters i play mostly in co-op.

When i buy a SP only game, it needs to be a minimum 50hrs so i feel like i've gotten my money's worth, if its just a short campaign i will wait for a big sale.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts

Personally, you sound like an old man yelling at clouds. It's possible to like both, and there is no need to crap on multiplayer games.

@neogeo2k2 said:

I don’t care for MP games.

I do find some of them really boring.

Like FN, I just don’t see how that game has millions of fans.

All my friends play is COD Warzone.

I prefer SP games like RE, TLOU, and the Soulsborne games

Fortnite has fans because it's a fun game that's nice to look at. Especially the skins. Though to be fair, their skins haven't been as good lately.

@st_monica said:

Gamers have a hierarchy similar to society. Some social classes are attracted to F2P multiplayer games, while others appreciate the crafted single-player games. Just like some enjoy beer and ball games, while others enjoy wine and art.

I wouldn't make that analogy. I would say SP games vs MP games are like Thanksgiving vs eating at restaurants. Thanksgiving, like SP games, are delicious and last a long time, however, you only cook Thanksgiving once, maybe twice, a year. MP games are like restaurants in that you can eat out several times per week, however, eating out is not something that will last a week like Thanksgiving leftovers. They each have their pros and cons. I play mp games everyday, but the game does fall off at a certain point. Single player games last for months, but after I finish it, I'm not in the mood to play it until a year or a couple of years later.

@goldenelementxl said:

I’m the opposite. Single player games feel like a waste of my time. They are often times too hand holding and try to take themselves too seriously. I rather master my skills at a multiplayer game than watch some cutscenes, climb towers to reveal the map or look for “treasure.” Sure there are some good exceptions. But those are like 1 in 100

I like the story of single player games and single player games that are rpg tend to have fun quests and good action. Though I do agree that multiplayer games have a higher skill cap overall. Single player games do not come close to the difficulty of multiplayer games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

I can spend hundreds if not thousands of hours playing team games like Battlefield and Age of Empires.

But I'm not sold on current online trends like Battle royale, live services and battle passes.

I play a lot of online games with friends, but I am just playing a ton more singleplayer games at the moment.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

I like MP games, but there's lots of popular MP games I don't like. Fortnite, PUBG, LoL, among others. Free to play games are usually crap combined with crap business practices, so I tend to stay far away from those.

Playing MP with friends (in good games) is still awesome.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#24 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I don't dislike them, I just dislike what they've done to the industry. Everyone wants their own World of Warcraft, their own Destiny, their own League of Legends, their own Fortnite. They see them as continuous money printing licences, and so they pour resources into them at the expense of narrative-driven single player games.

Aside from shifting away from the kind of games I like, these publishers are putting way too many eggs in too few baskets. As Sony have proved time and time again, there is money to be made from narrative-driven single player games - it's just not all the money, which is what these money-grubbing corporations want.

Sooner or later, these multiplayer games markets will saturate, and they're going to have to move on to the next gaming trend. What's going to tide them over until then? Narrative-driven single player games will never die, and they are leaving that money on the table.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Yeah im not a fan of multiplayer in general, totally lost interest in it. I like a lot of games designed for COOP play but mostly its SP for me. I used to be into competitive multiplayer back in the day with Tribes, Quake, Unreal etc but the popular multiplayer games today are slow and full of kids.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

I like to relax and have fun so it single player RPGs mostly for me.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

@luxuryheart said:

@st_monica said:

I wouldn't make that analogy. I would say SP games vs MP games are like Thanksgiving vs eating at restaurants. Thanksgiving, like SP games, are delicious and last a long time, however, you only cook Thanksgiving once, maybe twice, a year. MP games are like restaurants in that you can eat out several times per week, however, eating out is not something that will last a week like Thanksgiving leftovers. They each have their pros and cons. I play mp games everyday, but the game does fall off at a certain point. Single player games last for months, but after I finish it, I'm not in the mood to play it until a year or a couple of years later.

Oh, I see. I should've clarified that my analogy is based on the comparison made by OP in the third paragraph, which is, in his words, "multiplayer craze of mobile games and F2P" versus "great single player games," not MP vs. SP.

The former is usually cheap, shallow, addictive and time-consuming, and the latter is expensive, crafted, engaging and relatively short. Some people drink $1 beer and watch ball games daily, while others spend $60 for good wine and art and enjoy it on weekends. It's like consumption styles that reflect the class.

If it's just a comparison between MP and SP, like a comparison between Mario Party and Zelda, I think your analogy is very accurate.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@Juub1990: Nope. I rarely bother with sp games. Titanfall 2 was the last sp game that I really enjoyed. Especially open world sp games with shooting elements....the ai is just so boring, and predictable. Nothing comes close to reaching the last 5 in pubg, not knowing how good the remaining 4 players are - or where they are. Getting sniped repeatedly in bf1 then sneaking around and dynamiting him 30 feet into the air. Hitting that last bend perfectly in Forza to get 1st place, and imagining - or even better, hearing - the reaction from the player you just beat.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Only MP game I ever really enjoyed was COD. I'd rather a great SP game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

MP games like Destiny & Warframe are okay to the extant but I been playing SP games all my life since the dawn of SNES and so on. When Halo CE came into the fray, I fell in love with the co-op and LAN party but when Halo 2 online made its way, I really got down for MP games on Xbox to Xbox 360 and when last-gen kick off, I stop caring for MP as it felt more the same and now, I really don't care for MP games back in my younger days, SP games still rules because I was play & finish them on my own time.

@goldenelementxl said:

What kind of a BS statement is this? I been playing games for decades and never felt this way.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I don't really like MP games. I played a few here and there if my friends pressured me to play it (Destiny, Diablo, WOW) but I don't really take anything away from it and it feels shallow. With a single player game, I can get a story, character development, a better sense of progression in the game, and/or exploration. I can't get that helping my buddy prestige weapons playing the same maps over and over, and over again. Add some virgin squeakers on top of that and it's just not something I want to waste my time with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@davillain- “ What kind of a BS statement is this? I been playing games for decades and never felt this way.”

Have you ever played a Naughty Dog game? Those feel like they are actively taking control from me and wasting my time. I tried that most recent Tomb Raider game that’s on Game Pass. That game started with cutscene after cutscene and once I had control, it was slowly walking around some festival listening to NPCs talk. Gears and GoW LOVE to stop the action in favor of cutscenes and QTEs. And don’t get me started on Kojima games.

I want to play games, not semi-actively interact with a B-tier animated movie. That’s what many AAA games have become. Here’s an experiment for you. Point a camera at your hands/controller and play a 8bit-32bit era game. Then record your hands playing a AAA game from the last couple generations. There’s a reason those guys were able to play Uncharted 4 with 1 hand. We aren’t really “playing” much of anything these days. It’s just the XP numbers, trophies/achievements popping and EPIC moments that make you think you are.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

@goldenelementxl:

Just for giggles my friend. Have you ever tried Man of Medan, offered on GamePass?

My goodness, that one wins movie-game, walking sim, of all time, hands down. No ifs, ands or buts. lol

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

We need more PvE MP and not PvP all the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

I don't dislike them, just find them repetitive after a short while and always feel like I'm wasting time that I should be using playing a single player game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@SecretPolice: It’s more walking sim than Death Stranding? That game makes you balance while walking ffs. Like other walking sims weren’t “sim” enough for Kojima... Dude made the Gran Turismo of walking sims

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

@davillain- “ What kind of a BS statement is this? I been playing games for decades and never felt this way.”

Have you ever played a Naughty Dog game? Those feel like they are actively taking control from me and wasting my time. I tried that most recent Tomb Raider game that’s on Game Pass. That game started with cutscene after cutscene and once I had control, it was slowly walking around some festival listening to NPCs talk. Gears and GoW LOVE to stop the action in favor of cutscenes and QTEs. And don’t get me started on Kojima games.

I want to play games, not semi-actively interact with a B-tier animated movie. That’s what many AAA games have become. Here’s an experiment for you. Point a camera at your hands/controller and play a 8bit-32bit era game. Then record your hands playing a AAA game from the last couple generations. There’s a reason those guys were able to play Uncharted 4 with 1 hand. We aren’t really “playing” much of anything these days. It’s just the XP numbers, trophies/achievements popping and EPIC moments that make you think you are.

I have played all of Naughty Dogs games, thank you Super Sonic. I don't mind MP only games if they are fun and I do go back to Overwatch from time to time but my main point is, why so salty on SP games? Interactive games don't bother me and I do like cutsense but what I don't like is you cannot skip a cutsense after you finish the main game.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

@goldenelementxl:

Can't say I've tried DS but I'm fairly confident if you give Man of Medan, a whirl your going to agree, it wins the notorious trophy, walking sim movie game of all time. lol :P

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

While I personally don't play (or enjoy) MP games because I'm too casual and gets my a*s handed to me online whenever I try. I don't have a problem with MP games if they are great and not just made to maximize MTs/Lootbox. So many of the live service games are created for that very reason now a days instead of making a compelling game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I use to enjoy the Battlefield series until they turned into a glorified COD game but yeah MP games these days are trash. They use to be actually great back in the day but that was decades ago now they are all shallow soulless trash designed to make you spend nonstop on upgrading your character complete garbage.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Depends on if my friends want to play.

I don't play MP with random people unless it's a Souls game.