Anyone else avoiding games with loot boxes this fall?

• 106 results
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I really hate the practice it ruins a game. I'm won't buy lootboxes and I can't stand grinding. I can't justify the purchase if I'm going to be walled off from content.

AssCreed Origins Battlefront 2 Shadow of War. I would have probably purchased otherwise if it weren't for loot boxes.

The excuse I'll buy them when they're discounted doesn't matter. Once you've invested 6 or more hours to the game you're all ready committed to the system.

I have nothing to purchase this fall for my PS4. Currently I'm playing Skyrim special edition. I guess I'll have to rely on Skyrim and Dark Souls 3 to carry me over until after the holidays.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56401 Posts

Personally loot boxes don't impact me in anyways cause I'm not gonna buy them using real money but however, there are times I'll ending up waiting for GOTY editions but other then that, it depends on the game itself.

I will wait for Shadow of War GOTY edition with everything included and I will buy Assassin's Creed: Origin on launch day just because I been away from AC since Black Flag and looking to get back into the series is a nice start with Origin?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59317 Posts

Gamers will buy what they're told to buy. Media won't criticize it. Rich assholes will get richer. Offensive will become normality.

poo.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Not really.

If there is a game i really want, i don't care if it has loot boxes.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

the only answer I can come up is buy the game, but don't buy the loot boxes.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Nope. As long as you don't spend any actual money on them, they're quite fun to use.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa
deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa
Member since 2017 • 50 Posts

No, because I actually take the time to understand their implementation and how much if at all they actually affect anything, most do not. It's pretty silly to just swear off entire games because you see one implementation that you don't fully understand yet.

Saying the game will be a grind by default is a non-starter for any reasonable conversation on the matter.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@gamebox said:

No, because I actually take the time to understand their implementation and how much if at all they actually affect anything, most do not. It's pretty silly to just swear off entire games because you see one implementation that you don't fully understand yet.

Saying the game will be a grind by default is a non-starter for any reasonable conversation on the matter.

in other words, defending Forza 7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa

@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:

It's in defense of any video games getting slammed by people irrationally and ignorantly jumping to conclusions without actually understanding what is going on.

Forza Motorsport 7 just so happens to be the hot ticket case of this most recently.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DrLostRib

@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:

It's in defense of any video games getting slammed by people irrationally and ignorantly jumping to conclusions without actually understanding what is going on.

Forza Motorsport 7 just so happens to be the hot ticket case of this most recently.

You've been on Forza 7 damage control since you got here, Captain Alt

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4585 Posts

I'm not buying any of those games, but it is more because I don't have any desire to play them than it is a statement against loot boxes. Loot boxes are where gaming is headed, it sucks, but it is. Developers and publishers need to find a way to recuperate the rising costs of making games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa

@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:

The only damage I've been controlling with Forza 7 is gross misunderstanding and misinformation fabrication. For the umpteenth time, you dont know me.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DrLostRib

@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:

The only damage I've been controlling with Forza 7 is gross misunderstanding and misinformation fabrication. For the umpteenth time, you dont know me.

Don't need to know you to see what you're doing

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9432 Posts

Not avoiding them. Not interested in them either though.

I might try out Destiny 2 when it comes out if that has loot boxes.

I don't really have any experience with them - seems like it would be better just to find loot in chests in the levels like Borderlands or something.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44538 Posts

No, not really. I never spend money on loot boxes myself. I typically don’t mind them as long as they don’t impact my enjoyment of a game without them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa

@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:

Regardless of what you think I am doing, you need to move along. You're thread stalking me constantly and souring every thread you enter with this distant non-involved persona you've created that only serves to question users and fails to actually discuss a topic at hand.

You drive duscussions off topic by going after individuals rather than the discussions, I have no qualms with reporting every instance of you doing this.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrLostRib

@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:

Regardless of what you think I am doing, you need to move along. You're thread stalking me constantly and souring every thread you enter with this distant non-involved persona you've created that only serves to question users and fails to actually discuss a topic at hand.

You drive duscussions off topic by going after individuals rather than the discussions, I have no qualms with reporting every instance of you doing this.

I mean, sure go ahead and karma ban yourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa

@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:

Precisely the point, you're breaking rules not being enforced and harassing, trolling, spamming people, dragging things off topic and shirking the report system on the reliance of reports resulting in the reporter being banned.

Well so be it, there's a code of conduct and you're failing to abide by it so I'll do my part regardless of how it ends up for me, you need to stop.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DrLostRib
@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:

Precisely the point, you're breaking rules not being enforced and harassing, trolling, spamming people, dragging things off topic and shirking the report system on the reliance of reports resulting in the reporter being banned.

Well so be it, there's a code of conduct and you're failing to abide by it so I'll do my part regardless of how it ends up for me, you need to stop.

lol, all this because an alt is upset about people being mean to Forza 7

Well, go ahead Captain Newbie, save the day. The Hero SW needs

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46648 Posts

Opening a lootbox in the Battlefront II beta starts feeling tedious after a while.

It's just so random and unrewarding.

Opening a chest in Zelda never gets old.

You do so much effort working your way towards that point and you know the prize will be worth it.

That's the difference between bad and good game design.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa

@R4gn4r0k said:

Opening a lootbox in the Battlefront II beta starts feeling tedious after a while.

You do so much effort working your way towards that point and you know the prize will be worth it.

The former is a proper representation of how things actually work in life and the real world. Not everything will always be worth the effort involved and effort should never be rewarded equally. It defeats the appreciation for what you gain along the way and causes you to take things for granted.

Contrast is key in rewarding people, you appreciate the better things you get considerably more than if you were constantly imbued with them.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DrLostRib

@gamebox said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

The former is a proper representation of how things actually work in life and the real world. Not everything will always be worth the effort involved and effort should never be rewarded equally. It defeats the appreciation for what you gain along the way and causes you to take things for granted.

Contrast is key in rewarding people, you appreciate the better things you get considerably more than if you were constantly imbued with them.

We're talking about video games, not your skewed view of reality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa

@drlostrib said:

It's a fundamental of existence that applies to games the way it does everything else.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DrLostRib

@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:

It's a fundamental of existence that applies to games the way it does everything else.

perhaps in your point of view, but that doesn't make it good game design

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa

@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:

No that's just the way reality functions. If you constantly win, if you're constantly getting great things a situation loses its importance. It becomes boring, there's no excitement once you have adjusted, no anticipation, no surprise, no tension.

Everything that gives these things importance and value is lost because it morphs into an expectation. The downs are what give the ups meaning, value and importance.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DrLostRib

@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:

No that's just the way reality functions. If you constantly win, if you're constantly getting great things a situation loses its importance. It becomes boring, there's no excitement once you have adjusted, no anticipation, no surprise, no tension.

Everything that gives these things importance and value is lost because it morphs into an expectation.

but they're not talking about just being given things, but rather having worthwhile rewards. That the effort is equal to what is earned

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46648 Posts

@gamebox: Well since video games do exist in real life, and since I'd rather play a game with good game design than a game with bad game design, I'm gonna take Zelda's opening chests over opening some random unrewarding lootbox that comes with 'stuff' adding to the pile of 'stuff' I already own.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa

@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:

Everything that gives these things importance and value is lost because it morphs into an expectation.

but they're not talking about just being given things, but rather having worthwhile rewards. That the effort is equal to what is earned

It applies all the same, knowing that you're always going to be rewarded greatly actually removes value from the situation as the inherent risk is lost. The unknown and ambiguity is what makes a reward exciting, it could be incredible or it could be average or terrible.

The excitement and tension provided by not knowing the end result is what makes it fun, that is good game design as it alwsys keeps a player gripping their seat in anticipation. The dichotomy of the situation is aptly providing a player with the right balance of both so as to not get discouraged, but constantly rewarding their effort equal to the reward is terrible game design.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Yeah, they really messed up with Forza 7. Having loot boxes is never a good idea. It speaks poorly of the integrity of the dev. Blatant greed.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DrLostRib

@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:
@gamebox said:
@drlostrib said:

It applies all the same, knowing that you're always going to be rewarded greatly actually removes value from the situation as the inherent risk is lost. The unknown and ambiguity is what makes a reward exciting, it could be incredible or it could be average or terrible.

The excitement and tension provided by not knowing the end result is what makes it fun, that is good game design as it alwsys keeps a player gripping their seat in anticipation. The dichotomy of the situation is aptly providing a player with the right balance of both so as to not get discouraged, but constantly rewarding their effort equal to the reward is terrible game design.

maybe when it's cool cosmetics, but not when you're locking away content and unlocks/progression items. That's bad, especially for a MP focused game

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#32 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

Nope. I don't have any loot box additions. I am fully capable of buying a game and playing it without spending any money on side stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa

@reduc_ab_ said:

Yeah, they really messed up with Forza 7. Having loot boxes is never a good idea. It speaks poorly of the integrity of the dev. Blatant greed.

They absolutely did not, the game is no more grindy than it has ever been. Racing games by default are a grind and this has not elevated that to any level beyond what has come before in this series or any other.

You're speaking out if turn for something you have no experience with, calling them greedy is also ridiculous considering their market is not only not implemented yet, it's completely optional.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@gamebox: Surprise, surprise. NyaDC defending MS, no matter how horrible the practice.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I am waiting for a Shadow of War complete edition or 90% off to compensate for their loot box bullshit.

I am skipping Forza which I wanted to play in VR.

And I am no longer playing Overwatch, which has to do with both the community taking the game seriously, and the boxes of temporary items that you need to buy real quick if you want them. But how many? Well it's anyone's guess.

I would skip Destiny 2 for sure because of their bad practices with Destiny 1, both the transaction system and the lack of content. I would totally advice anyone to wait for a more complete edition if any.

And even though I am enjoying Battlefront 2 Beta I am considering just not buying it because they could really screw us over with their box system and quite frankly they've shown that they love screwing us over (BF1 custom servers come to mind).

Funnily enough I did spend considerable money on in-game transactions like a week ago, in Path of Exile. The game is free, I played through it and heavily enjoyed it and decided to give them some money for their effort instead of buying that Diablo 3 Necromancer pack. I bought some stash tabs that I can use for future runs and characters and I walked away a happy customer. Didn't get f'd over, and they got some money out of it. Win-Win.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa

@metalboi said:

@gamebox: is dynamite cop's newest account.

Can someone make a list of all his alts?

@reduc_ab_ said:

@gamebox: Surprise, surprise. NyaDC defending MS, no matter how horrible the practice.

Do you guys think that linking me to that user and repeating their name constantly will somehow transition myself into them? Call the administration in here please, all of them. Your little annoyance of not engaging criticism of your shallow debates has run its course.

Each time I tear one of your arguments down you start whining about this person. You don't refute the argument, you cry. This guy must have really done a number on people around here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@gamebox: Nice new tactic, Nya. It won't work, but nice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@KungfuKitten: Forza would have been great in VR. I know that GT Sport has certain VR modes, so for VR that's a better choice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa

@reduc_ab_ said:

Being a medical physician I would diagnose your condition as PTSD.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@gamebox: Being versed in NyaDC speak, I'd diagnose you as NyaDC.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DrLostRib

@metalboi said:

@gamebox: is dynamite cop's newest account.

Can someone make a list of all his alts?

be a decently long list

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#44 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@reduc_ab_: Yeah I was looking at that one. I got distracted by Metroid Prime VR which sounds amazing even if it doesn't work for the full 100%.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@drlostrib: Long as a novel at this point. Dude is impressively neurotic if nothing else.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DrLostRib

@gamebox said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

Being a medical physician I would diagnose your condition as PTSD.

uh oh, @reduc_ab_ where did the alt touch you

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DrLostRib
@reduc_ab_ said:

@drlostrib: Long as a novel at this point. Dude is impressively neurotic if nothing else.

my favorite is when he tries to reason with the mods with why they should let him stay. Last time, Byshop shut him down pretty hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@drlostrib: Oh, don't get me wrong. I've got a certain sisterly fondness for Nya. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-59d93b5f4f9aa
@reduc_ab_ said:

@gamebox: Being versed in NyaDC speak, I'd diagnose you as NyaDC.

@metalboi said:

@gamebox: Don't even try to deny it. You are always easily spotted because you can't break your awful habits: condescending attitude, unyielding even when you are proven wrong, very strong contradictions in your arguments and criticisms, obsession with the Xbox brand, defending the indefensible.

You're not fooling anyone.

Attempting backseat moderation with the wrong person isn't going to get you anywhere. If you have a grievance I'd suggest you take it up with the administration team instead of excramenting verbal diarrea all over this board.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@drlostrib: Yeah, Byshop owns Nya, no doubt.