ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts

First time I ever heard the world Linear with games was when zelda BOTW stated to get news and people talked about it and how the old zelda style was getting old. I love BOTW best game ever made untill TOTK lol but I also never had a issue with the older zelda games. I never felt like it was getting to repetitive or old or what not. I always thought between the games different art style, dungeons, story, music etc that they felt different and where always high quality. I had no idea people thought the old style was getting like to repetitive before that. So no I have no issue. Also DK2 and DKTF are 2 are both in my top 10 all time favorite games and both are 2 platforms so yeah.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23958 Posts

Dragon's Dogma vs Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is an excellent example of the boons of linear design vs open world.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3459 Posts

How Arkane builds their levels is my ideal. Not too big, open and curated.

I'm fine either way, can't say I have a preference. But it is much more difficult to make a great linear game than an open one.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2953 Posts

Yes, I like linear games as well as open world games..i do think that linear games have become too rare nowadays. It is almost as if open world has become the norm and must be implemented in each and every game, even if not strictly necessary to the gameplay.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 PC_Rocks  Online
Member since 2018 • 8500 Posts

In general yes. Give me a sandbox to play with. Most open world games are big, filled with chores but still have a linear design.

Something like Crysis, Prey, original Far Cry is what I like otherwise just linear.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Well yeah, most of my all time favourite games are linear.

Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear solid 3 - all linear. Metal Gear Solid 5 wasn't though I'd say its on par with MGS2, better than MGS3, not as good as MGS4.

The Last of Us 1, The Last of Us 2, both linear

Elden Ring is open world and my 3rd favourite game after MGS4 and TLOU, but Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Sekiro are linear...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Absolutely. Got open world overload the last decade or so. :P