Any tips for Sony for next gen survival?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

Giving some compassion to Sony because I'm feeling bad for them lately but what are some tips that will help Sony survive the next gen. If you could be the CEO of Sony's Playstation business what would you do. You control Sony now like an iron fisted dictator. Anything you say is law. What would you do? Discuss

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

STFU or GTFO

Choose....

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jimmypsn

STFU or GTFO

Choose....

seanmcloughlin

Why you tell Sony to STFU or GTFO? I don't think this helps their predicament.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Let's buy Microsoft and Nintendo.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Honestly, follow Microsofts nickel and dime strategy.

Announce a 600 dollar system and people say "WHOA! Thats alot!"

Annouance a stripped down 300 dollar console with 4 GB, no WiFi, no Blu Ray, no controller charger, and 60 bucks a year for online, and they think its a great deal.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jimmypsn

Let's buy Microsoft and Nintendo.MonsieurX

That's a cool idea for Sony to buy MS and Nintendo. But someone has got to warn them that they can't use monopoly money so that isn't an option for them.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimmypsn

I predict Sony will charge for online and have a weaker system than MS to save costs. But where will all the cows go after they do this?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
Hope that major parts of their markets aren't suffering economically.
groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 groverslanding
Member since 2012 • 952 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Let's buy Microsoft and Nintendo.jimmypsn

That's a cool idea for Sony to buy MS and Nintendo. But someone has got to warn them that they can't use monopoly money so that isn't an option for them.

lol

I think Sony needs to turn to prayer to survive the upcoming gen.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

I predict Microsoft will continue charge for online and have a weaker system focused on knect to save costs and get profit. But where will all the lems go after they do this?

jimmypsn
fixed dont thank me
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jimmypsn

I have yet to see a actual post in ways that Sony could benefit from the cows. I guess in their minds, they are sub consciously realizing that there's nothing that Sony can do to save themselves. Fear not cows. Have some hope.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 crimsonman1245

I have yet to see a actual post in ways that Sony could benefit from the cows. I guess in their minds, they are sub consciously realizing that there's nothing that Sony can do to save themselves. Fear not cows. Have some hope.

jimmypsn

Did you not read my post?

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jimmypsn

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

crimsonman1245

Did you not read my post?

My apologizes. Didn't read. Nickel and diming could work but may have blowback with the cows. But I don't know who you are. Which side are you on? Are you on the side of Light, righteousness, power and glory = aka 360. or the side of wretched darkness stenched for the odors of virgin nerds. = aka ps3.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Let's buy Microsoft and Nintendo.jimmypsn

Apple will come in
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 crimsonman1245

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Let's buy Microsoft and Nintendo.MonsieurX

Apple will come in

I'd prefer Samsung.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Keep doing what you're doing.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
  1. Charge for online play
  2. pay for timed DLC
  3. Rarely push new IP , too risky .... let 3rd parties take the risks
  4. Come up with successful gimmick for casuals
  5. Give lots of money to celebrities to market your gimmick
  6. Release same time as the next xbox , rush the hardware if need be .... replacement sales are stll sales !
  7. steal ideas and rush them to market knowing full well they are not really ready like the Wiimote and Kinect . then try and develop the products later
  8. Get of the dedicated handheld business
  9. Close more studios and consolidate
  10. Hype , hype , hype

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jimmypsn

1. Charge for online play
  2. pay for timed DLC
  3. Rarely push new IP , too risky .... let 3rd parties take the risks
  4. Come up with successful gimmick for casuals
  5. Give lots of money to celebrities to market your gimmick
  6. Release same time as the next xbox , rush the hardware if need be .... replacement sales are stll sales !
  7. steal ideas and rush them to market knowing full well they are not really ready like the Wiimote and Kinect . then try and develop the products later
  8. Get of the dedicated handheld business
  9. Close more studios and consolidate
  10. Hype , hype , hype

Nike_Air

I like this list.

1. I think this will happen. I'm 90% sure.

2. Why develop full feature games like The last Guardian (8 years of development hell) for a niche niche audience when you can get timed exclusives. 3 months exclusive is all you need to get the most sales of a multiplatform title.

3. Yes see 2

4. Isn't Sony copying the tablet feature for Wii U. Without a casual option. They automatically lose a huge pool of customers.

5. Celebrities are overrated.

6. yes I see this happening.

7. Sony has no issues with this. See history. Good plan for them.

8. Yes I agree. Nintendo plus smartphone and tablets equals death for hardcore only mobile device.

9. Good idea. I agree.

10 see original sentence.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

I would stop making ALL the current linear casual crap, like Uncharted, MGS, GOW etc and focus on real games for real gamers like Witcher, Dark Souls, Halo

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#20 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
stick to making threads on phonemug or leveling groverlanding to lvl 10
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 crimsonman1245

I would stop making ALL the current linear casual crap, like Uncharted, MGS, GOW etc and focus on real games for real gamers like Witcher, Dark Souls, Halo

loosingENDS

Demon Souls is linear.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts
  1. Make your "F2P" MMO games actually F2P. I think it's quite lame to have multiple pricing tiers on your "free" MMOs, that have limited access, and the only way to get everything out of the game is paying the full $15 a month.... That's not how you do F2P, Sony
  2. Be more open to all types of software on the PS4. You guys are doing it somewhat with the PSVita with minis, but I think those would be a really good thing to have on a console as well. Also try to get some free games on there
  3. Set up the online store, so that distribution goes through the third parties rather than through the Sony servers. This would make more developers open to patching in new content, free content, or fixing their games in a timely manner. The only thing you need to do is take a cut out of any game sold via PSN, but you don't need to control the distribution.
  4. Charge for PSN. It doesn't help you that you have to keep adding features to play catch-up to XBL as this costs you too much money. You've lost hundreds of millions of dollars each year, since 2006, from PSN alone, Sony!
  5. Create a killer-app that doesn't take inspiration from other games. You'll always be second place in sales with that idea. Your most successful game (Gran Turismo) became that way because it was the first really great racing simulation on consoles. Take note of how Forza never matches the sales despite scoring higher, and being on a higher selling system.
  6. Release your console at a reasonable price that doesn't scare away customers. These are consoles. Kids, teens, and college students love them, and all three of those groups tend to be too poor for $599 consoles.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
Keep putting the pedal to the metal and release another avalanche of a barn bursting amount, world class, high scoring exclusives.
keybladegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 keybladegamer
Member since 2011 • 516 Posts

Sony could do a few things actually:

1. Launch their next gen console before competitors. A year's head start provides a sales and userbase push that can sometimes determine whether a console is successful or not.

2. Actually put together a coherent advertising campaign that doesn't make them look like pretentious ***es.

3. Launch the cheapest console. It should probably be at least 50 usd cheaper than the competitors. In exchange Sony might need to make the console weaker, but make sure the next gen console is comparable with competitor's consoles so it gets multiplat titles.

4. Get something timed exclusive. DLC for a major game series is a start. Also make sure one the next gen console's multiplats has advertising ties with a major games series so that only the version for their system is advertised, much like the 360 version of COD is the only advertised version.

5. Make sure one of the launch games builds massive hype by spending a ton of money advertising it. If there's hype for a launch day game, the game will end up being a system-seller and provide some sort of sales boost.

That's about it really. My guess is number 1 and 3 are most important for Sony's next gen console or any other next-gen console to be successful although making sure there is decent advertising helps with sales too.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10614 Posts

Giving some compassion to Sony because I'm feeling bad for them lately but what are some tips that will help Sony survive the next gen. If you could be the CEO of Sony's Playstation business what would you do. You control Sony now like an iron fisted dictator. Anything you say is law. What would you do? Discuss

jimmypsn

There are reasons why no one here should take you seriously, and this is one of them.

BTW, Sony is surviving this gen. Dreamcast is the official definition of not surviving.:roll:

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10614 Posts

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

crimsonman1245

Demon Souls is linear.

His blind hatred for the ps3 hides the truth away from him.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Don't make hardware (or software) that you must sell for a loss.

The non-gming related things are not my business.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

They should copy more.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

Copy. Microsoft.

Also, don't charge more than $300 for a system. Whoever Oked a $600 dollar target price should be burned alive.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

Yes: Ignore jimmypsn.

Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Raymundo_Manuel

Don't make hardware (or software) that you must sell for a loss.

nameless12345

I knew I was missing something from my list.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#32 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

As long as Sony doesn't release an over priced console they should be fine, they got the best dev support so games isn't going to be a problem. It just comes down to Sony's initial price point, which I'm sure they learned their lesson. Especially since Kaz is now in charge he'll probably turn things around.

But you would have to be a super idiot if you think Sony or the PlayStation is going to go anywhere.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

I predict Sony will charge for online.jimmypsn

You know that's gonna happen soon. Sony always copies. :lol:

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 crimsonman1245

Sony released the cheapest console this gen, But people were fooled by Microsoft brilliant strategy of stripping down the console and forcing an xboxlive fee that made it seem cheaper, when it reality and over time, its more expensive than the PS3.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]I predict Sony will charge for online.Shinobi120

I predict MS will increase the XBL fee again, you just know it.

You lemmings don't understand that it costs virtually nothing for these companies to let people play online, the majority of it is P2P. Your just using your own internet as bandwidth which chooses a host connection for the games, there is no cost associated with that, it's just your internet connecting to other peoples internet.

You know what DOES cost money though? Dedicated Servers! Which oddly, there are more games with Dedicated Servers on the FREE network (PSN) than there are on the the one that charges (XBL, which has hardly any D-Servers).

Of course I doubt you will understand this, educating Lemmings is a lost cause. I gave up a long time ago.....

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jimmypsn

[QUOTE="Shinobi120"]

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]I predict Sony will charge for online.ShadowMoses900

You lemmings don't understand that it costs virtually nothing for these companies to let people play online, the majority of it is P2P. Your just using your own internet as bandwidth which chooses a host connection for the games, there is no cost associated with that, it's just your internet connecting to other peoples internet.

You know what DOES cost money though? Dedicated Servers! Which oddly, there are more games with Dedicated Servers on the FREE network (PSN) than there are on the the one that charges (XBL, which has hardly any D-Servers).

Of course I doubt you will understand this, educating Lemmings is a lost cause. I gave up a long time ago.....

Why did Sony lose hundred of millions of dollars on this than If it cost them nothing as you stated.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="Shinobi120"]

jimmypsn

Why did Sony lose hundred of millions of dollars on this than If it cost them nothing as you stated.

I don't know where you heard that, because Sony is actually MAKING money:

Sony Profits As PS3 Sales Double - PS3 News at IGN

In fact it's only a matter of time before it over takes Xbox:

Why PlayStation 3 Will Outsell Xbox 360 - PS3 Feature at IGN

Here is the key excerpt for you:

"If you average out worldwide units sold per month of each console, the numbers favor Sony. Over its lifetime of 72 months on the market, Xbox 360 is averaging about 800,000 units sold per month. Over 60 months on the market, PlayStation 3 is averaging 925,000 units sold per month."

"Based solely on averages, if you were to remove Xbox 360's year head start, 57.6 million units sold becomes 48 million units sold. If you were to give PlayStation 3 12 more months to sell, paralleling Xbox 360's lifecycle, PS3's 55.5 million units becomes 66.6 million units sold."

"There are a number of reasons on why the gap is rapidly closing. PlayStation 3 has far more high quality exclusive games than Xbox 360 and a great free online service. One could easily use the old fallback that Xbox 360's insanely high failure rate earlier in its lifecycle contributed to more consoles being sold."

"The only fact is that you can't ignore the numbers."

Now start your Damage Control!

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jimmypsn

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

"If you average out worldwide units sold per month of each console, the numbers favor Sony. Over its lifetime of 72 months on the market, Xbox 360 is averaging about 800,000 units sold per month. Over 60 months on the market, PlayStation 3 is averaging 925,000 units sold per month."

"Based solely on averages, if you were to remove Xbox 360's year head start, 57.6 million units sold becomes 48 million units sold. If you were to give PlayStation 3 12 more months to sell, paralleling Xbox 360's lifecycle, PS3's 55.5 million units becomes 66.6 million units sold."

"There are a number of reasons on why the gap is rapidly closing. PlayStation 3 has far more high quality exclusive games than Xbox 360 and a great free online service. One could easily use the old fallback that Xbox 360's insanely high failure rate earlier in its lifecycle contributed to more consoles being sold."

Sony lost hundred of millions on PSN. Boom shakalaka.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"] Why did Sony lose hundred of millions of dollars on this than If it cost them nothing as you stated.jimmypsn

MS lost hundreds of millions on RROD. Mazeltov!

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jimmypsn

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

MS lost hundreds of millions on RROD. Mazeltov!

Sony is dying. Boom shakalaka.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
stop trying to target core gamers there is not enough of them...If you want to win you have to target the casuals.
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jimmypsn

stop trying to target core gamers there is not enough of them...If you want to win you have to target the casuals. HarlockJC

Yep the casuals outnumber us like 9 to 1. MS wants that delicious pie.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ShadowMoses900

There is no such thing as a Hardcore Gamer, we're all "Casuals" wether we admit it or not.

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts

Don't launch a console @ 599.99/499.99 ever again

Ditch the PS Move and motion controls

Create new ip

Focus on their core franchises

Continue with free online functionality

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

There is no such thing as a Hardcore Gamer, we're all "Casuals" wether we admit it or not.

ShadowMoses900
unfortunately this doesn't make sense ... if you're a gamer who strongly prefers core titles over multiplats or mass appeal games, you would be classified as a hardcore gamer.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

rasengan2552

unfortunately this doesn't make sense ... if you're a gamer who strongly prefers core titles over multiplats or mass appeal games, you would be classified as a hardcore gamer.

Lol core titles, there are only games silly. I laugh at people who think they are "hardcore", I play whatever I want, sometimes it's my Wii sometimes it's my PS3, as long as I'm having fun who cares?

There are only cool gamers and dousch gamers, cool gamers don't care what other people play and just want to have fun, dousch gamers want to seperate people into different camps and go around pretending they are superior and "hardocre" in a vain attempt at trying to justify the lack of sex in their lives.

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

Lol core titles, there are only games silly. I laugh at people who think they are "hardcore", I play whatever I want, sometimes it's my Wii sometimes it's my PS3, as long as I'm having fun who cares?

There are only cool gamers and dousch gamers, cool gamers don't care what other people play and just want to have fun, dousch gamers want to seperate people into different camps and go around pretending they are superior and "hardocre" in a vain attempt at trying to justify the lack of sex in their lives.

by core titles I meant exclusive games ... -__- lol you're not very intuitive when it comes to these things.
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Raymundo_Manuel

[QUOTE="Shinobi120"]

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]I predict Sony will charge for online.ShadowMoses900

What's funny is that you think the only service PSN and XBLG offer people is online play.

Sony has taken a loss on PSN every year since the PS3 came out, and we're talking hundreds of millions each year.

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts
Just keep slaughtering the competition like they did this gen.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#50 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

jimmypsn
Of course not. People are either butthurt, in denial, or have no idea how to address the issue. Imo, first stop pumping money into a lot of exclusives. Many dont want to hear that. But its tough times, and they need to be extremely selective about what they put cash flow into. Cutting back and turning profit will begin the change to being in the black. It is business 101. The vita, which I own and quite like was a mistake. Or the timing was. If your losing money, the world economy isnt that great, the market is showing signs of consumers going more toward small, portable gaming, like iphone, android, ipad available titles, then recognize this. And stop with the proprietary memory card stuff. It is a stupid move that turns off consumers. I saw it happen at a gamestop on post. A guy turned around on the vita when he was told he couldnt use a regular memory card, but had to buy Sony's.