Any other long-time PC gamers totally put off by...

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 D_Znuhtz
Member since 2004 • 2276 Posts

... Windows Vista?

Every time I get excited about upgrading my 7800 GT to an 8800 GTX I remember that Vista is required to run DX10 and my blood boils a little. It's not just because it basically forces me into one OS (which is a part of it), it's because that particular OS sucks, and not just a little bit.

It's really the only thing holding me back from upgrading my PC and continuing to try and keep up with the times. I don't like the Games for Windows crap either, but I could get over that if the OS was even a lateral move from XP rather than a step backwards.

Because of this BS, I am spending the money I would have spent on the GPU on a 360. It's not that I have a problem with MS taking my money (they've been doing it since Win 3.1), just with them taking my money for a product I don't even like, nay, despise, and not having another choice.

Issues like these are why I find myself gaming on consoles a hell of a lot more than PC's these days, even though I acknowledge PC gaming is really the cream of the crop when everything is going right. Anyone else in the same boat?

/rant off

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
If I get Vista I will prolly just dualboot it with XP, should solve most issues. But I'm in no hurry to get it, it just doesn't sound like a huge improvement to me aside from DX10. The next Windows is a whole another matter tho, I hope they get that out soon as it sounds great.
ZanuffC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ZanuffC
Member since 2007 • 614 Posts
Vista's problems are vastly exagerated, when you play around with the OS a bit to configure things, and have a decent setup, the problems fade, most of the people who bash vista have never tried it.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I have Vista in a cage, and that's where I intend to keep on using it when I need it. If I were forced to use Vista as my primary OS, I'd probably cry myself to sleep every night. Yes I'm exaggerating. But only a little... only a little...
sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts
Im having no problems with it at all had a few bugs...those got fixed with a few scripts and programs.
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

Just run three OS's ;) I run vista, xp and linux, all you have to do is boot it up in the one you want to use and your sweet. Although if your poor and can't afford the space requirements then just stick with xp cause its the middle ground, vista and linux take some tweak work to get running perfect.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

I don't know about any of the complaints against Vista...some people either hate it or love it for some reason.

hate19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hate19
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts

Some reasons as to WHY it sucks so much would be nice to read, too.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Have you actually tried Vista or are you basing it of peoples comments?
ZanuffC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZanuffC

Just run three OS's ;) I run vista, xp and linux, all you have to do is boot it up in the one you want to use and your sweet. Although if your poor and can't afford the space requirements then just stick with xp cause its the middle ground, vista and linux take some tweak work to get running perfect.

Zenkuso

The only 3 OS you'd ever need booted sepratly is a good idea :P

If I manage to buy another hard drive, I might do it too, my 500 gig is mostly filled right now. :?

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 D_Znuhtz

Zenkuso

My basic specs are Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GhZ, 2 GB DDR2 667 MhZ, ASUS something-something motherboard (best I could get last September) with a 250 GB HD clocked at 7600 RPM or around there.

How exactly does running two OS's work? I just install them both, boot it up in one or the other based on what I want to do? Would it affect my system performance? Do I need to partition my HD or install another one?

I'm a PC gamer but I know very little about most aspects of PC's outside of actually playing the games.

ZanuffC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZanuffC
[QUOTE="Zenkuso"]

D_Znuhtz

My basic specs are Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GhZ, 2 GB DDR2 667 MhZ, ASUS something-something motherboard (best I could get last September) with a 250 GB HD clocked at 7600 RPM or around there.

How exactly does running two OS's work? I just install them both, boot it up in one or the other based on what I want to do? Would it affect my system performance? Do I need to partition my HD or install another one?

I'm a PC gamer but I know very little about most aspects of PC's outside of actually playing the games.

It basically involves partioning your hard drive, then installing each OS into a different one, I haven't done anything like that in a while, but thats basically what it is.

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 D_Znuhtz

Have you actually tried Vista or are you basing it of peoples comments?Lonelynight

I've tried it, and admittedly I came into it wanting to hate it because my PC geek buddies told me to stay miles away from it. This was quite a while ago, when it was probably just a mess of bugs even compared to now. It was just so bad I didn't give it more than a passing chance.

Is it better now? Does it surpass XP or is it still a lateral move at best?

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]Have you actually tried Vista or are you basing it of peoples comments?D_Znuhtz

I've tried it, and admittedly I came into it wanting to hate it because my PC geek buddies told me to stay miles away from it. This was quite a while ago, when it was probably just a mess of bugs even compared to now. It was just so bad I didn't give it more than a passing chance.

Is it better now? Does it surpass XP or is it still a lateral move at best?

I don't have it so I can't really say, ask this in the PC forum if you really want to know, but I think you should probably don't upgrade your PC first since your PC still holds up pretty good, and upgrade when MS ships service pack 1 or something

omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

I feel the same...

Really hate microsoft for making DX10 Vista only.. That is the only part I would even consider getting Vista for..

But its seriously not worth it, its somewhat expensive, atleast for the good versions.. and it eats performance from your computer... Not too mention all bugs..

Myself I hope Vista will fail horribly (Too late for that I think...) so that MS can realize what big mistake it was... Also DX10 would be nice on XP.. Stupid greedy MS:.

deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
i had vista i was dissapointed in it . i think the reason ms made vista the way it is to push people to upgrade and to push people into gam\ing
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
It is the most hated 'part' of the PC I'm slowlybuilding for Crysis. I'm starting to lean towards a cheap 7900GS and the ability to use XP rather than an 8800 and having to use Vista.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Vista isnt that bad.

Its actually better than XP was, when XP was at the same stage after its release.
MUCH better.

And it can only improve - which it is at a more rapid pace than XP did.

Heck remember when everyone said they would stick to Win2000, and never shift to XP.

Dejavu!

artichoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 artichoke
Member since 2006 • 2271 Posts
It's not that bad. i mean I'm not going to dish out 200 dollars for it but since I got it for free it's okay.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
It is the most hated 'part' of the PC I'm slowlybuilding for Crysis. I'm starting to lean towards a cheap 7900GS and the ability to use XP rather than an 8800 and having to use Vista.Verge_6
Welcome to the cool peoples club. Thats what I did.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

I have Vista in a cage, and that's where I intend to keep on using it when I need it. If I were forced to use Vista as my primary OS, I'd probably cry myself to sleep every night. Yes I'm exaggerating. But only a little... only a little...musicalmac

yeah but you have a mac so in a way you put yourself in a cage ;)

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]I have Vista in a cage, and that's where I intend to keep on using it when I need it. If I were forced to use Vista as my primary OS, I'd probably cry myself to sleep every night. Yes I'm exaggerating. But only a little... only a little...Ontain

:lol: Zing.

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts
[QUOTE="D_Znuhtz"][QUOTE="Zenkuso"]

ZanuffC

It basically involves partioning your hard drive, then installing each OS into a different one, I haven't done anything like that in a while, but thats basically what it is.

Yeah you just partion into three seperate parts on a single hardware (you could do it on seperate HDDs (I didicate a whole HDD to my OS's, nothing else goes on them) as well) and boot up each individual partion (depending on which os you want to use) as your main HD and it will start with that OS. Simple.

marcuskickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 marcuskickass
Member since 2007 • 839 Posts
Wasn't this the exact same thing that happened whn XP came out? everyone hating on it and complaining about problems they were experiencing, and we all know how that turned out...
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="Ontain"]

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]I have Vista in a cage, and that's where I intend to keep on using it when I need it. If I were forced to use Vista as my primary OS, I'd probably cry myself to sleep every night. Yes I'm exaggerating. But only a little... only a little...Verge_6

Who's caged? In order of use- Mac OS X Unix/Linux Vista Remotely- Win 2000 Server ..Perl ( :lol: ) All on one maching 8)
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
In other words the OP cant pirate games no more like he use to. However people dont listen to this guy I have a xp computer and a vista computer and the performance are prettyidentical on desktop uses I also never had driver related problems and to be honest I really didnt find a major problem with vista. IMo vista is a hell aof alot better then xp with more community base things you can do and personalizing plus many more.I hates unknowledgable people who post on these forums and have no clue what their talking about without experiencing it. Vista is the way to go and it's here to stay and I appreciate it.
ZanuffC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ZanuffC
[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="Ontain"]

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]I have Vista in a cage, and that's where I intend to keep on using it when I need it. If I were forced to use Vista as my primary OS, I'd probably cry myself to sleep every night. Yes I'm exaggerating. But only a little... only a little...musicalmac

Who's caged? In order of use- Mac OS X Unix/Linux Vista Remotely- Win 2000 Server ..Perl ( :lol: ) All on one maching 8)

And what are the specs and price of this machine? :shock:

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="musicalmac"] Who's caged? In order of use- Mac OS X Unix/Linux Vista Remotely- Win 2000 Server ..Perl ( :lol: ) All on one maching 8)ZanuffC

MacBook Pro, sir. Did I mention I do that all simultaneously? Roughly 2,300 USD total. Came with a nearly free printer and iPod, though. *musicalmac thanks the 1800 dollars in college bonds that suddenly appeared.
mikemil828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mikemil828
Member since 2003 • 7024 Posts

... Windows Vista?

Every time I get excited about upgrading my 7800 GT to an 8800 GTX I remember that Vista is required to run DX10 and my blood boils a little. It's not just because it basically forces me into one OS (which is a part of it), it's because that particular OS sucks, and not just a little bit.

It's really the only thing holding me back from upgrading my PC and continuing to try and keep up with the times. I don't like the Games for Windows crap either, but I could get over that if the OS was even a lateral move from XP rather than a step backwards.

Because of this BS, I am spending the money I would have spent on the GPU on a 360. It's not that I have a problem with MS taking my money (they've been doing it since Win 3.1), just with them taking my money for a product I don't even like, nay, despise, and not having another choice.

Issues like these are why I find myself gaming on consoles a hell of a lot more than PC's these days, even though I acknowledge PC gaming is really the cream of the crop when everything is going right. Anyone else in the same boat?

/rant off

D_Znuhtz

I have no problems with Vista personally. Most problems with Vista can be chalked up to lousy maintainence on the users part. Also I'm kinda tired hearing about how much Vista sucks without hearing exactly why it sucks so much. Anyway just go ahead and upgrade to that 8800gtx, even for the DX9 performance alone is enough to justify the purchase.

ZanuffC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ZanuffC
[QUOTE="ZanuffC"][QUOTE="musicalmac"] Who's caged? In order of use- Mac OS X Unix/Linux Vista Remotely- Win 2000 Server ..Perl ( :lol: ) All on one maching 8)musicalmac

MacBook Pro, sir. Did I mention I do that all simultaneously? Roughly 2,300 USD total. Came with a nearly free printer and iPod, though. *musicalmac thanks the 1800 dollars in college bonds that suddenly appeared.

Yeah, that seems a little overpriced. :?

mikemil828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mikemil828
[QUOTE="ZanuffC"][QUOTE="musicalmac"] Who's caged? In order of use- Mac OS X Unix/Linux Vista Remotely- Win 2000 Server ..Perl ( :lol: ) All on one maching 8)musicalmac

Lol @ Laptop only affordable through college bonds.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 musicalmac  Moderator

ZanuffC
It's up to the user. I'm confident you're unable to do the same thing. I require these tools.

mikemil828
If you're honestly laughing, you're easily amused. The college bonds just made it easier. It was totally possible before ;)
Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts
If you have an exceptional strong computer (Core 2 2.5ghz+, 3gb ram+) Vista is without a single doubt better then XP in every way.
Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts

hate19

The OS has problems with drivers, many programs/games don't work and it lowers the performance since its more hardware demanding.

If you have an exceptional strong computer (Core 2 2.5ghz+, 3gb ram+) Vista is without a single doubt better then XP in every way.Cali3350

You don't think you would get better performance with XP? :roll:
You would...

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
If you have an exceptional strong computer (Core 2 2.5ghz+, 3gb ram+) Vista is without a single doubt better then XP in every way.Cali3350
Except for the whole crashing game and system hog things.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

unfortunately ive had terrible expweriences with it. long story short, the OS stopped working alltogether within 3 weeks. that aint good. even ME lasted longer than that for me. i hear that drivers are much better now (my attempt was close to launch) but im waiting for SP1 before i try and install it again.

besides that "little" niggle though, my only other prob with vista is its ram usage. 1GB is just wrong on a spiritual level. besides that though i have no other major beef with it.

LivingReceiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 LivingReceiver
Member since 2007 • 298 Posts
Vista sucks, it cant run so many friggin programs its stupid
mikemil828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mikemil828
[QUOTE="ZanuffC"]

musicalmac
It's up to the user. I'm confident you're unable to do the same thing. I require these tools.

mikemil828

If you're honestly laughing, you're easily amused. The college bonds just made it easier. It was totally possible before ;)

A 2000+ dollar laptop that would be completely obsolete by the time you get out of college, personally I would that money on a much cheaper Mid Tower PC and use the rest of that money on ramen.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
Vista is exceptional now. I have no problems whatso ever, and it runs as good as XP at this point. In fact, after playing WiC in DX10, there is no reason to go back.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="ZanuffC"]

mikemil828

mikemil828

A 2000+ dollar laptop that would be completely obsolete by the time you get out of college, personally I would that money on a much cheaper Mid Tower PC and use the rest of that money on ramen.

:lol: No. Contrary to popular belief, my laptop will be just fine for the time being. And I've been out of college for a couple years now. Not everybody limits themselves to gaming, or one OS for that matter ;)
mikemil828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mikemil828
[QUOTE="hate19"]

Arnalion

The OS has problems with drivers, many programs/games don't work and it lowers the performance since its more hardware demanding.

Odd, because those were the exact same complaints about Windows XP when it came out. How about some problems that are specific to Vista and not something that can be said about ALL new operating systems?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Vista's problems are vastly exagerated, when you play around with the OS a bit to configure things, and have a decent setup, the problems fade, most of the people who bash vista have never tried it. ZanuffC

Exactly.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Vista is 100% fine, you have to be a PC retard not to be able to use it, there i went to an exaguration aswell...

My god, all it is is XP with some MAC OS X features, how can that possible be bad?

hate19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hate19
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts
[QUOTE="hate19"]

Arnalion

So far no problems with drivers nor games, and only 1 low budget freeware that wasn't vista compatible so far.
Performance, yea it takes a little more resources, but so does any evolving programs/games.
We wouldn't have today's software if everything was required to run on PCs from 15 years before.
DanBal76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DanBal76
Member since 2003 • 1950 Posts
I'm using Vista Ultimate (64 Bits) for quite some time now and i'm liking it. I'm not missing XP.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

[QUOTE="Cali3350"]If you have an exceptional strong computer (Core 2 2.5ghz+, 3gb ram+) Vista is without a single doubt better then XP in every way.Vandalvideo
Except for the whole crashing game and system hog things.

Neither of those exist in my experiance as it stands, performance well slightly I suppose but its nothing game-breaking for anygame.

STALKER with my old P4 3.2 + 8800 + 3GB RAM (The only difference really on my new rig was the Tower/mobo/CPU) the difference in framerates was less than 5.

mikemil828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mikemil828
[QUOTE="mikemil828"][QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="ZanuffC"]

musicalmac

mikemil828

:lol: No. Contrary to popular belief, my laptop will be just fine for the time being. And I've been out of college for a couple years now. Not everybody limits themselves to gaming, or one OS for that matter ;)

You are saying it's impossible for PC users to do anything other than game and are locked to one OS? :|

Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a long time PC gamer as my PC game library for many years was whatever Blizzard would put out. (sans Wow until recently) But, as a person who uses a computer every day and now does a fair bit of gaming on a computer with onlyVista installed, I don't really have any complaints. Vista hasn't given me any grief yet and all my games are performing optimally. With the exception of Dark Messiah.... that gamejust can't get right.
Just_Osmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Just_Osmo
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

Vista's problems are vastly exagerated, when you play around with the OS a bit to configure things, and have a decent setup, the problems fade, most of the people who bash vista have never tried it. ZanuffC

This is true. I upgrades my PC to Vista because I was having problems with Media Center on my XP connecting to my 360. After about 4 hours of tweeking the Configs it is basically exactly like my XP but with a few nice added features. Sure there are problems with older programs/games working on this OS but everything is Vista Compatible that is coming out now.

Trust me I did NOT want to upgrade to Vista because I had tried it for 10 minutes and hated it because I was used to Vista. But after 5 days with it I like it better then XP when you turn off all the garbage.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 musicalmac  Moderator

You are saying it's impossible for PC users to do anything other than game and are locked to one OS? :|

mikemil828
Your comment is wholly unproductive. You know that's not what I'm saying.