Any FPS Games Have Random Enemy Placement? Honest Question.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Because Halo 3 is confirmed to. Enemies are randomly generated in practically every area for each playthrough, allowing for greater replayability for the campaign.

"Thing is, battles unfold a little differently every time. One demo you're able to kick ass and blow through like a proper Bungie expert[Luke Smith], next time you get slapped in the fingercuffs by 3 Brutes and a Jackal sniper you never noticed before. As it turns out, Paul Bertone, mission designer for "Sierra 117" told me there's actually a random element to the placement of enemies. Right when Frankie and I begin to find a rythym and begin anticipating the Jackal snipers, that sniper wouldn't be on the ledge in the following game, it would be in a tree to the left or behind a rock to the right."

Link to article.

This is an honest question, I haven't played every FPS known to man so I'm wondering if this is a "first." I can't remember an FPS game I've played that did this.

Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Newnab
Member since 2006 • 3081 Posts

Hm. Dunno. It's not something people usually talk about much.

I do know however that the forthcoming game Left4Dead has a super clever computer AI called "The Director" who places the enemies at different logical points every time you play through for replayability.

If this is like that, that's pretty damn cool.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Yes games before have used it or conventions close to it.

Upcoming and current games have it too, off the top of my head: S.T.A.L.K.E.R (erratic spawn points), Hellgate London, Left4Dead, COD2 (I think it was this one...).

And I think Crysis and Assasin's Creed have some sort of alarm system whereby enemies come zipping in randomly if you make too much noise or chaos.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Upcoming and current games have it too, off the top of my head: S.T.A.L.K.E.R (erratic spawn points), Hellgate London, Left4Dead, COD2 (I think it was this one...).

And I think Crysis and Assasin's Creed have some sort of alarm system whereby enemies come zipping in randomly if you make too much noise or chaos.

Danm_999

AC and Crysis aren't random, but they're logical and have a lot of flexibility.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

FrozenLiquid

No, not completely random, but they are designed to quickly besiege the player with enemies from several arbitrary spawn points.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]

Danm_999

No, not completely random, but they are designed to quickly besiege the player with enemies from several arbitrary spawn points.

Yeah that's what I meant.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Spartan070

Danm_999

Well COD2 didn't have it. Also many games have an alarm type system. That's not what I meant though. I mean pure enemies that are milling around/waiting for you in totally different spots before they are alerted to your presence. There is a great deal difference between walking up on a sniper and having to navigate through a gauntlet while in his sights from 300 yards away.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
The only thing I can really think of is Soldier of Fortune 2, which had that random mission generator. It wasn't very indepth or even very complex or anything of the sort, but it still randomly generated.. missions. I just wish it could have been a little.. better.
Baird-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Baird-06
Member since 2006 • 3511 Posts
Cool. Halo 3 is sounding better every day. :D
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FrozenLiquid

The only thing I can really think of is Soldier of Fortune 2, which had that random mission generator. It wasn't very indepth or even very complex or anything of the sort, but it still randomly generated.. missions. I just wish it could have been a little.. better.Doom_HellKnight

That was bullsh*t.

So superficial. Had great potential, but it really really sucked.

Hmm.... could Halo 3 usher in random enemie placements in new FPSs? It's popularized other things with the other two games. Maybe this is will be another standard for non-sandbox FPSs.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

Spartan070

Well COD2 didn't have it. Also many games have an alarm type system. That's not what I meant though. I mean pure enemies that are milling around/waiting for you in totally different spots before they are alerted to your presence. There is a great deal difference between walking up on a sniper and having to navigate through a gauntlet while in his sights from 300 yards away.

I thought it was COD2, (I haven't played it in quite a while). It might have been another COD game, or another WW2 shooter, there are so dang many.

And yeah, I didn't think you meant an alarm system, but games have still existed in the past with random enemy placement.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FrozenLiquid

I thought it was COD2, (I haven't played it in quite a while). It might have been another COD game, or another WW2 shooter, there are so dang many.

And yeah, I didn't think you meant an alarm system, but games have still existed in the past with random enemy placement.

Danm_999

I'm having the same feeling too, but I don't beleive it's been as elaborate as this game. I mean, I haven't played a FPS which started of drastically different with each scene. Sure, they played out differently, but the start of each event was practically the same.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

FrozenLiquid

I'm having the same feeling too, but I don't beleive it's been as elaborate as this game. I mean, I haven't played a FPS which started of drastically different with each scene. Sure, they played out differently, but the start of each event was practically the same.

I'm also thinking of Gears of War end of Act III on the pumping station. I know it was pretty scripted, but it felt random enough constantly getting a Torque Bow in the back each time I inched forward on higher difficulties.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FrozenLiquid

I'm also thinking of Gears of War end of Act III on the pumping station. I know it was pretty scripted, but it felt random enough constantly getting a Torque Bow in the back each time I inched forward on higher difficulties.

Danm_999

Nah Gears was a script fest.

I think that's just the enemy being sneaky b*stards.

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 froidnite
Member since 2006 • 2294 Posts
Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi is a 2003 horror first person game with random enemy spawning.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

LOADS

The Rainbow 6 (not vegas or console ones) and SWAT games to name a few.

Stalker, Operation Flashpoint, ArmA................ (gotta remember more)

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spartan070

Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi is a 2003 horror first person game with random enemy spawning.froidnite

It's not an FPS if I'm not mistaken, it's a survival horror. If that's an FPS than RE4 is a TPS, which it's not.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spartan070

LOADS

skrat_01

"LOADS" ? Somehow I don't remember R6 with totally random enemies. Yes, I've played the PC versions.(Haven't played the newest one but all the rest.) Also SWAT 4 does not have random enemies, I own that game.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

LOADS

Spartan070

"LOADS" ? Somehow I don't remember R6 with totally random enemies. Yes, I've played the PC versions.(Haven't played the newest one but all the rest.) Also SWAT 4 does not have random enemies, I own that game.

Raven Shield most defitnaly had random placement.

And I can bet my left testicle SWAT 4 has random placement - as does Stechkov Syndicate. I mean I was playing the game yesterday.

Oh snap there goes your knowlege ;)

Random enemy placement means that no mission is ever the same - game features

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BestSeller-Series-SWAT-4-PC/dp/B000IDPY28

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

LOADS

skrat_01

Raven Shield most defitnaly had random placement.

And I can bet my left testicle SWAT 4 has random placement - as does Stechkov Syndicate. I mean I was playing the game yesterday.

Oh snap there goes your knowlege ;)

Random enemy placement means that no mission is ever the same - game features

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BestSeller-Series-SWAT-4-PC/dp/B000IDPY28

Hmmm, I stand corrected. I admit I never played through that game more than once.:P

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 froidnite

[QUOTE="froidnite"]Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi is a 2003 horror first person game with random enemy spawning.Spartan070

It's not an FPS if I'm not mistaken, it's a survival horror. If that's an FPS than RE4 is a TPS, which it's not.

I didn't think it was a shooter too and that's the reason I said First person horror game. But GS lists it as a fantasy FPS but lists RE4 as horror Action/Adventure

I agree with you it's not a FPS but since it's GS SW, it's what GS write that matter.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Spartan070

Ok, we've established there have been tactical FPS games with randomly generated enemies. I'm not changing my tune but have there been any "arcadey/action oriented" FPS games with randomly generated enemies? Just wondering.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]

[QUOTE="froidnite"]Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi is a 2003 horror first person game with random enemy spawning.froidnite

I didn't think it was a shooter too and that's the reason I said First person horror game. But GS lists it as a fantasy FPS but lists RE4 as horror Action/Adventure

I agree with you it's not a FPS but since it's GS SW, it's what GS write that matter.

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out.

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
Coded Arms has completely random levels. Oh yeah, and it sucks.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FrozenLiquid
Let's just say there aren't many FPSs that take the random enemy spawn trends.
OldParr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 OldParr
Member since 2006 • 2996 Posts
there was a game that was like that but i cant recall it.i think it was one of the RB6 or ghost recon...i dont remember which rb6 or ghost recon but i think it had that feature
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Spartan070

Let's just say there aren't many FPSs that take the random enemy spawn trends.FrozenLiquid

...and none are as popular or "widely believed to be as good" as the Halo series.:D

...although that is debatable, I know...

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
SWAT 4 has random enemy placement.
froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 froidnite

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]Let's just say there aren't many FPSs that take the random enemy spawn trends.Spartan070

...and none are as popular or "widely believed to be as good" as the Halo series.:D

For that matter, most of the games FPS or not, random enemy spawn system or not are not as popular as Halo series.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 skrat_01

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]Let's just say there aren't many FPSs that take the random enemy spawn trends.Spartan070

Trust me the SWAT 4 placement is of much more impact than the Halo ones -because of the game design.

It makes more of an impact than games like Operation Flashpoint and ArmA, aswell as Halo 3.

Actually Veitcong 1 may of had it, and SOF2 had the random mission generator.

How* does Halos popularity make its random enemy placement better?.........

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]Let's just say there aren't many FPSs that take the random enemy spawn trends.skrat_01

Trust me the SWAT 4 placement is of much more impact than the Halo ones -because of the game design.

It makes more of an impact than games like Operation Flashpoint and ArmA, aswell as Halo 3.

have you played halo 3?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skrat_01

I dont get the point of this thread......

Halo has random enemy placement now, and plenty of previous FPS had it.

That pretty much sums this all up.

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 froidnite

skrat_01

Everyone did not know that........that was the point of this thread

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]Let's just say there aren't many FPSs that take the random enemy spawn trends.NFJSupreme

have you played halo 3?

No, it simply doesent impact as much on how you play the game, as SWAT 4...

Play swat 3 or 4 - and you will understand how random enemy placement in any game dosent make as much impact as that game.

I mean when each mission involves storming a variety of buildings, full of hostiles to arrest / take down, screaming hostages, swat snipers placed around the premisis, and stuff like guys with full kevlar, timed demo charges..... Not to mention the bullet penatration - rounds could go through walls killing hostages.... Yea I think yuou get the point.

but yea I understand what your getting at we wont know until we play H3 - but im quite adament on saying in S4 it impacts the most.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

froidnite

Everyone did not know that........that was the point of this thread

Ah yes, my mistake!

That was pretty careless of me :P

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
Good thing the TC brought this to my attention. I was very close to going on a rant about Halo 3 being nothing but formulaic corridor shooting with pretty graphics.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
I've heard of other FPS games instituting something like this, but their names escape me right now. Besides, its not like randomly placed enemies add that much replayability. Same map, same campaign, same guns, an enemy has moved ten fieet that way ---> OMG TEH DIFFERENCE.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 skrat_01

Actually this kinda gives me hope that H3 will be more about oudoor enviroments than Corridor shooting.

Even though its not that expansive, ive always enjoyed fighting over larger areas in Halo games, much more than the same repadative corridors - which felt like a bit of a drag......................

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 froidnite
[QUOTE="NFJSupreme"][QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]Let's just say there aren't many FPSs that take the random enemy spawn trends.skrat_01

have you played halo 3?

No, it simply doesent impact as much on how you play the game, as SWAT 4...

Play swat 3 or 4 - and you will understand how random enemy placement in any game dosent make as much impact as that game.

I mean when each mission involves storming a variety of buildings, full of hostiles to arrest / take down, screaming hostages, swat snipers placed around the premisis, and stuff like guys with full kevlar, timed demo charges..... Not to mention the bullet penatration - rounds could go through walls killing hostages.... Yea I think yuou get the point.

but yea I understand what your getting at we wont know until we play H3 - but im quite adament on saying in S4 it impacts the most.

Agreed. Swat 4 made very good use of random enemy placement.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FrozenLiquid

I've heard of other FPS games instituting something like this, but their names escape me right now. Besides, its not like randomly placed enemies add that much replayability. Same map, same campaign, same guns, an enemy has moved ten fieet that way ---> OMG TEH DIFFERENCE. Vandalvideo

Then obviously you haven't read the Halo 3 previews.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]I've heard of other FPS games instituting something like this, but their names escape me right now. Besides, its not like randomly placed enemies add that much replayability. Same map, same campaign, same guns, an enemy has moved ten fieet that way ---> OMG TEH DIFFERENCE. FrozenLiquid

Sure I have, and randomly generated enemies really don't add much replability at all.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 skrat_01
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]I've heard of other FPS games instituting something like this, but their names escape me right now. Besides, its not like randomly placed enemies add that much replayability. Same map, same campaign, same guns, an enemy has moved ten fieet that way ---> OMG TEH DIFFERENCE. Vandalvideo

Sure I have, and randomly generated enemies really don't add much replability at all.

Well I have to say Vandal, in SWAT 4 it adds huge replayility ;)

But it always depends on how its been implemented. I mean in some games it doesent make much of an imapact, in others it changes the gameplay.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]I've heard of other FPS games instituting something like this, but their names escape me right now. Besides, its not like randomly placed enemies add that much replayability. Same map, same campaign, same guns, an enemy has moved ten fieet that way ---> OMG TEH DIFFERENCE. Vandalvideo

So you're disagreeing with people who've actually seen the game in motion, whereas you haven't?

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 froidnite
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]I've heard of other FPS games instituting something like this, but their names escape me right now. Besides, its not like randomly placed enemies add that much replayability. Same map, same campaign, same guns, an enemy has moved ten fieet that way ---> OMG TEH DIFFERENCE. FrozenLiquid

So you're disagreeing with people who've actually seen the game in motion, whereas you haven't?

When did anyone who played the game say randomly generated enemies add replability.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Spartan070

skrat_01

If I had known several other FPS games had it, do you think I would've structured the title and first post the way I did?

:roll:

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Spartan070

When did anyone who played the game say randomly generated enemies add replability.

froidnite
Read the first post, there is a link.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 skrat_01

froidnite

If I had known several other FPS games had it, do you think I would've structured the title and first post the way I did?

But still a couple of google searches was all it would've taken to find out;)

My thoughts exactly ;)

I mean ive seen threads started for the most trivial things... I mean Google is there for a reason :P

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Spartan070

froidnite

But still a couple of google searches was all it would've taken to find out;)

SW > google searches. I was merely trying to start a converstaion, is that such a bad idea? You could google search 95% of all SW threads instead of creating them, that sounds like tons of fun....:|

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

Spartan070

More than 7 FPSs have it.

Search engines are your friend.