and the GameSpot 2008 Game of the Year is...(no 56k)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#352 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
Seriously, who didn't see this coming?
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#353 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts
Congrats to Hideo Kojima and his team on a job well done very deserving indeed. With a year that have so many deserving game I am glad that Metal Gear Solid IV took home the honor, but if another game won it I still wouldn't be surprised because there were others great games that were nominated. Right after MGSIV won the previous award I knew it was a lock for GOTY.
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
The secret to why GS loves MGS4 so much lies in many GS employees quitting and leaving the current editors to review an overwhelming pile of games. Eventually that kind of pace starts wearing out even the most enthusiastic gamers, so when a game comes out that they can simply watch play itself out while lying on a couch half-asleep... well, it's easy to see why it would appeal to them even against all reason.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
The secret to why GS loves MGS4 so much lies in many GS employees quitting and leaving the current editors to review an overwhelming pile of games. Eventually that kind of pace starts wearing out even the most enthusiastic gamers, so when a game comes out that they can simply watch play itself out while lying on a couch half-asleep... well, it's easy to see why it would appeal to them even against all reason.mr_mozilla
Come on man! you are way better poster to say things like that! :?
Avatar image for _Peoples_Champ_
_Peoples_Champ_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#358 _Peoples_Champ_
Member since 2002 • 4695 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/game-of-the-year/index.html?page=2

Congratulations!

MGS4 won every category it was nominated for except the Dubious Honors.

Game of the Year
Best PS3 Game
Best Action Adventure
Best Story
Best Boss Fights
Best Graphics, Technical
Best Voice Acting
Most Memorable Moment

* Edited by a Moderator *

one_on_one

Can't wait for the Xbox 360 version.

nuge004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 nuge004
Member since 2006 • 851 Posts
I dunno about 'best boss fights' but definitely deserved everything else
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Can't wait for the Xbox 360 version.

_Peoples_Champ_
Don't cry, you could always play it on the iPhone :lol:
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
[QUOTE="_Peoples_Champ_"]Can't wait for the Xbox 360 version.

110million
Don't cry, you could always play it on the iPhone :lol:

Rofl :lol: Nice one, nice one!
Kratos_OMEGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 Kratos_OMEGA
Member since 2007 • 2872 Posts
That list is quite possibly the worst GOTY list ever.
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts
Lovely.
voodoochild815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#366 voodoochild815
Member since 2008 • 282 Posts
Left 4 dead>>>>>>>>>MGS4
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
gee, that's a big surprise. am i a bad person if i enjoyed Dead Space and Fallout 3 much more than MGS4?
Noverech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 Noverech
Member since 2003 • 1635 Posts
[QUOTE="Noverech"]

This is a movie, not a game. if you think this is a game you are blind with japanese fanboyish love.

The level of cutscenes is very high, almost 90% of the game if not more. the level of interactivity is LOW. And the funny thing is this goes for EVERY metal gear solid game.

I just don't see the point to these games. The story does absolutely NOTHING for me. Its way too over the top and overdramatic. This game obviously tries its hardest to be a movie at every possible point, but if you compared it with any current movie, its laughable at best. Also unless you have played MGS 1-3 multiple times and analyzed it with a fine tooth comb, theres no way you're going to understand 1 cutscene in this game.

its just my opinion but i believe games are more then just cutscenes

Blazerdt47

Youobviously haven't played an MGS game because your too busy playing piece of trash overhyped games like GTrehAsh.

Every Metal Gear game has an experience you will NEVER experience in any other game. Saying it's you won't understand the story at all even if you play the other MGS games is pure fanboyism at it's best. Maybe your IQ is below minimum average and you can only understand a story that has gangsters and drugs and sex, because that's what it seems like you said.

You have equal amount of playtime in any MGS game, more playtime depending on how you play. Don't try and bash a game that you never played.

Your one of the dumbest fanboys on SW I've encountered so far.

saying MGS is an experiance like no other is pure fanboyism. how can YOU call ME a fanboy when i didn't even recommend another game thats better then MGS? As for GTA...lol. I never said that should be goty. Hell i dont even own GTA4.

I have played MGS4. its boring, overdramatic, basically everything i said in my previous post. if you think this game is revolutionary story-wise try watching a movie or reading a book once in a while.

after you watch metal gear movie 4, you can beat it again without watching those boring cutscenes in 5 hours..THAT my good sirs is not a game, it just isnt.

my favorite game this year is L4D, now i dont know if it deserves GOTY, maybe fallout 3 does, but at least those games dont take you away from PLAYING A GAME every 5 minutes to show you a 20 minute cutscene.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts

And GS's credibility takes another hit.Giving GOTY to a melodramamatic movie.

GeoW2 or GTA4 are more deserving winners.

GabeNewellsPie
Dude, whatever happened to the part of your sig saying 360 will have more AAAE's than the PS3 this year?
Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
Also, I very much agree with GS's decision. This pretty much wraps up 2008 as the year of the PS3, IMO.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#372 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts
Also, I very much agree with GS's decision. This pretty much wraps up 2008 as the year of the PS3, IMO.VanHelsingBoA64
I'm not sure if I'd declare the PS3 as this year's "winner", but this year definitely saw the PS3 establish itself, which is nice to see.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#373 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
It deserved it imo.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#374 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"][QUOTE="Noverech"]

This is a movie, not a game. if you think this is a game you are blind with japanese fanboyish love.

The level of cutscenes is very high, almost 90% of the game if not more. the level of interactivity is LOW. And the funny thing is this goes for EVERY metal gear solid game.

I just don't see the point to these games. The story does absolutely NOTHING for me. Its way too over the top and overdramatic. This game obviously tries its hardest to be a movie at every possible point, but if you compared it with any current movie, its laughable at best. Also unless you have played MGS 1-3 multiple times and analyzed it with a fine tooth comb, theres no way you're going to understand 1 cutscene in this game.

its just my opinion but i believe games are more then just cutscenes

Noverech

Youobviously haven't played an MGS game because your too busy playing piece of trash overhyped games like GTrehAsh.

Every Metal Gear game has an experience you will NEVER experience in any other game. Saying it's you won't understand the story at all even if you play the other MGS games is pure fanboyism at it's best. Maybe your IQ is below minimum average and you can only understand a story that has gangsters and drugs and sex, because that's what it seems like you said.

You have equal amount of playtime in any MGS game, more playtime depending on how you play. Don't try and bash a game that you never played.

Your one of the dumbest fanboys on SW I've encountered so far.

saying MGS is an experiance like no other is pure fanboyism. how can YOU call ME a fanboy when i didn't even recommend another game thats better then MGS? As for GTA...lol. I never said that should be goty. Hell i dont even own GTA4.

I have played MGS4. its boring, overdramatic, basically everything i said in my previous post. if you think this game is revolutionary story-wise try watching a movie or reading a book once in a while.

after you watch metal gear movie 4, you can beat it again without watching those boring cutscenes in 5 hours..THAT my good sirs is not a game, it just isnt.

my favorite game this year is L4D, now i dont know if it deserves GOTY, maybe fallout 3 does, but at least those games dont take you away from PLAYING A GAME every 5 minutes to show you a 20 minute cutscene.

OK but have you played the other MGS games? If not then its really hard to understand why people love the series,characters and story. We are invested and understand every little thing. ALso It took me one time to understand whats going on in 1,3 and 4. Only part 2 I needed to beat twice to get it. You saying the story sucks and characters sucks is like jumping in on a series finally episode of a tv show thats been going on for a while and saying I dont get it and it sucks. Its really not that smart of a comment. Its more easy for a game like GTA to do a story because its one contained story with proboly a nod to one of the games here and there. SO it doesint have to explain more. I love the MGS series and will till the end of time. I love the gameplay. YEs there is gameplay. I had tons of fun PLAYING I didint rush through the game or anything.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#376 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts
2008 will be remembered for Mgs4. Not Smash, Not Gears 2 Not GTAIV, Not Resistance 2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots 10.0 AAAAE Game Of The Year 2008.
inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 inertk
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
Calling MGS a movie is such a pointless troll, and it's just so played out. |:
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
[QUOTE="VanHelsingBoA64"][QUOTE="GabeNewellsPie"]

And GS's credibility takes another hit.Giving GOTY to a melodramamatic movie.

GeoW2 or GTA4 are more deserving winners.

Dude, whatever happened to the part of your sig saying 360 will have more AAAE's than the PS3 this year?

hmmm...i seem to remember that sig, too ;)