An analysis of 360 GPU (Xenos)

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HarakoMeshi
Member since 2006 • 337 Posts

This is my rant about the Xbox 360 GPU http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?cpage=2#comment_6047197 (in the comments section).  If someone knows some technical details that I don't about the 360 please let me know.  Based on the public information about the 360 Xenos GPU I have made my deductions.  I am an experienced developer in 3D graphics on consoles and I have tried to make my calculations accurate but I may have made a mistake if there is some mystery of 360 I do not understand.

The Xenos GPU has an unprecendented bandwidth to it's 10MB of EDRAM of 256MB/s. If I understand correctly this peak bandwidth is actually only available when dong 4xMSAA. The actual writing bandwidth from the GPU is 32GB/s. This number is then multiplied by 8 to account for 4XMSAA times 2 for read+write operations.

Now if we consider the size of a full picture at 720p resolution (1280x720) with 8 bytes per pixel (color + Z) it almost fills the 10MB edram (over 7MB). In order to render that same picture with 4xMSAA four times the memory is required (over 28MB). This is the dilemma for the Xenos. In order to render such HD picture with AA it must do it in sections - in this case 3 sections.

This slicing is where Xenos pays the price. The developer must jump through hoops to render their scenes multiple times (actually I believe the Xbox 360 APIs take care of some of the work), but all this rendering multiple times is not free. All the geometry processing is duplicated, all the GPU state changes & texture changes are duplicated and so on. The only parts that are not duplicated are the pixels. So this will eat into the Xenos' edge over the RSX. In fact if whole scenes must be rendered 3 times we find that the effectove Xenos triangle setup rate now becomes lower than the RSX.

So the answer is that most developers probably won't render full 720p with 4XAA on the 360. They may drop below 720p or they may drop the AA. 720p with 2XAA still requires 2 passes. A possible resolution achievable in one pass could be 1024x576 with 2xAA. Anything higher would require multiple passes.

Instantly we see that anything using 4XAA is overbooking the size of the EDRAM, while using anything less than 4XAA is underusing the EDRAM bandwidth. In fact the Xenos is not even equipped to render 480p with 4XAA in a single pass (requires 10.5MB). A slight design flaw there.

The RSX can address the full 512MB of the PS3 so it has no such issues with frame buffer size.

So you see there is a tradeoff with the 360 GPU. You can render true 720p at a rate perhaps comparable to the RSX or slower. Or you can render 720p without any AA, or 60% below 720p with only 2xAA - really fast. This is the contradiction of the Xenos' design: so much power but a limited space to use it in. For the Xenos design to have been perfectly suited to the 360, over 28MB of EDRAM would have been required.

Taking things in context, these days consumers complain if there is no AA. And also in context I think consumers would be a bit annoyed to find out that 360 games are not truly 720p. So, developers have little choice but to please consumers with HD and AA and sacrifice their Xenos performance to do slicing & dicing. With this in mind, do not expect the 360 to beat the PS3 in graphics terms unless the 360 game is actually well below 720p.

Just some food for thought, in order to render 1080p with 4X AA would require 7 passes on the Xenos, so even if the Xenos setup rate was 4 times faster than the RSX it would still be the underdog. While on the cover it seemed the Xenos would have been better at doing 1080p than the RSX, things are not what they appear when considering all factors.

Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts

This is my rant about the Xbox 360 GPU http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?cpage=2#comment_6047197 (in the comments section).  If someone knows some technical details that I don't about the 360 please let me know.  Based on the public information about the 360 Xenos GPU I have made my deductions.  I am an experienced developer in 3D graphics on consoles and I have tried to make my calculations accurate but I may have made a mistake if there is some mystery of 360 I do not understand.

The Xenos GPU has an unprecendented bandwidth to it's 10MB of EDRAM of 256MB/s. If I understand correctly this peak bandwidth is actually only available when dong 4xMSAA. The actual writing bandwidth from the GPU is 32GB/s. This number is then multiplied by 8 to account for 4XMSAA times 2 for read+write operations.

Now if we consider the size of a full picture at 720p resolution (1280x720) with 8 bytes per pixel (color + Z) it almost fills the 10MB edram (over 7MB). In order to render that same picture with 4xMSAA four times the memory is required (over 28MB). This is the dilemma for the Xenos. In order to render such HD picture with AA it must do it in sections - in this case 3 sections.

This slicing is where Xenos pays the price. The developer must jump through hoops to render their scenes multiple times (actually I believe the Xbox 360 APIs take care of some of the work), but all this rendering multiple times is not free. All the geometry processing is duplicated, all the GPU state changes & texture changes are duplicated and so on. The only parts that are not duplicated are the pixels. So this will eat into the Xenos' edge over the RSX. In fact if whole scenes must be rendered 3 times we find that the effectove Xenos triangle setup rate now becomes lower than the RSX.

So the answer is that most developers probably won't render full 720p with 4XAA on the 360. They may drop below 720p or they may drop the AA. 720p with 2XAA still requires 2 passes. A possible resolution achievable in one pass could be 1024x576 with 2xAA. Anything higher would require multiple passes.

Instantly we see that anything using 4XAA is overbooking the size of the EDRAM, while using anything less than 4XAA is underusing the EDRAM bandwidth. In fact the Xenos is not even equipped to render 480p with 4XAA in a single pass (requires 10.5MB). A slight design flaw there.

The RSX can address the full 512MB of the PS3 so it has no such issues with frame buffer size.

So you see there is a tradeoff with the 360 GPU. You can render true 720p at a rate perhaps comparable to the RSX or slower. Or you can render 720p without any AA, or 60% below 720p with only 2xAA - really fast. This is the contradiction of the Xenos' design: so much power but a limited space to use it in. For the Xenos design to have been perfectly suited to the 360, over 28MB of EDRAM would have been required.

Taking things in context, these days consumers complain if there is no AA. And also in context I think consumers would be a bit annoyed to find out that 360 games are not truly 720p. So, developers have little choice but to please consumers with HD and AA and sacrifice their Xenos performance to do slicing & dicing. With this in mind, do not expect the 360 to beat the PS3 in graphics terms unless the 360 game is actually well below 720p.

Just some food for thought, in order to render 1080p with 4X AA would require 7 passes on the Xenos, so even if the Xenos setup rate was 4 times faster than the RSX it would still be the underdog. While on the cover it seemed the Xenos would have been better at doing 1080p than the RSX, things are not what they appear when considering all factors.

HarakoMeshi
Sony won't release final specs and most peoples guesses are that the RSX was downgraded from 550MHz to 500 and the DDR RAM was downgraded from 700MHZ to 650.  It makes sense if the specs were better than X360 and not downgraded, Sony would be posting its power Everywhere and they are not.  I think that says it all the PS3 was downgraded do to costs.
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 A-LEGEND
Member since 2006 • 1668 Posts
sony hasnt released teh specs themselves because they are afraid of the comparison.
Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts
how can the RSX access 512 mb of memory when it only have 256mb of memory. the 360 has 512 of shared memory so only its GPU should possibly access 512mb
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Yeah, I'd say reliance on tile rendering is a weakness of Xenos. Even adding some more EDRAM would have mitigated the associated penalties.
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 A-LEGEND

HarakoMeshi

thats total BS. many posters before you, and including the author and posters on B3d have shot this down. posting a comment with no answer yet does not let you free to post this as fact. you could be very well wrong and most likely are. second in the article itself the author explains why the GPU in the 360 can actually output 1080p better than the PS3. and third every single multiplatform game on the 360 and PS3 looks much worse on the PS3. fourth the PS# will never have as high resolution textures automaticaly making the discussion void. a game is composed of 100% textures. if those are uglier than its no competition.

PdIZZLE-PS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PdIZZLE-PS3
Member since 2006 • 499 Posts
hmm interesting...
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 A-LEGEND

actually what we can do, is wait until someone comments to his post on that site. then the argument can come back up again. you cannot make a post, take it and run. i completly respect your post, i just want someone elses "attack" first. and by the way the RSX cannot adress all the 512 ram. that has been mostly discussed.

mall69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 mall69
Member since 2003 • 167 Posts

i really wish i knew what you're talking about, all those numbers and theoretical possibillities confuse me. guess i'll just look at Call of Duty 3 for a real world comparison.

here's looking at the 360 version. nice

here's looking at the PS3 ver....hey wait a minute, what's goin on here. well, this doesn't make any sense now does it, what were all those numbers he was talking about.....

HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HarakoMeshi
how can the RSX access 512 mb of memory when it only have 256mb of memory. the 360 has 512 of shared memory so only its GPU should possibly access 512mb Nugtoka
This is a misconception. The RSX can directly access both the 256MB XDR main memory and the 256MB GDDR3 local memory for both read and write operations. The Xenos can access its 512MB shared memory for read operations and only its 10MB of EDRAM for write operations. (All of the GPUs writing functions are embedded in the EDRAM chip). Please see the link above for a long description of the two systems if not convinced.
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 A-LEGEND

[QUOTE="Nugtoka"]how can the RSX access 512 mb of memory when it only have 256mb of memory. the 360 has 512 of shared memory so only its GPU should possibly access 512mb HarakoMeshi
This is a misconception. The RSX can directly access both the 256MB XDR main memory and the 256MB GDDR3 local memory for both read and write operations. The Xenos can access its 512MB shared memory for read operations and only its 10MB of EDRAM for write operations. (All of the GPUs writing functions are embedded in the EDRAM chip). Please see the link above for a long description of the two systems if not convinced.

but that is your main point and its wrong. i do not know how to go into details frankly. i dont. im being honest, but that argument has happened on B3D soooooo many times and was proven that this is the main reason why the 360 outputs higher resolution textures. but seriously dude wait til someone answers your post on the site. they will.

BrownWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 BrownWalrus
Member since 2005 • 3467 Posts
It's fine it's all assumptions. Believe what you want to believe people, but the facts have already been spilled. What i love most about these forums is how people take an analysis that's already been proven and try to twist it to their favor.
HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HarakoMeshi
[QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"]

A-LEGEND

thats total BS. many posters before you, and including the author and posters on B3d have shot this down. posting a comment with no answer yet does not let you free to post this as fact. you could be very well wrong and most likely are. second in the article itself the author explains why the GPU in the 360 can actually output 1080p better than the PS3. and third every single multiplatform game on the 360 and PS3 looks much worse on the PS3. fourth the PS# will never have as high resolution textures automaticaly making the discussion void. a game is composed of 100% textures. if those are uglier than its no competition.

Sorry but I think I have yet to be proven wrong. Just because you think I am probably wrong means nothing. The article that backs the claims that the 360 could be better at 1080p has failed to take into consideration the limitations I described above, that is why I have written the comment and hopefully they will factor that into their analysis. They have only a very basic analysis which states Xenos has higher fillrate therefore it must be better for 1080p, however the tiled rendering is a disadvantage of the Xenos that they must consider. Now I will be the first to admit that the Xenos may be extremely good at doing tiled rendering so it cancels out my argument. However if we suppose that an image must be broken into 3 tiles and all geometry must be processed 3 times, that divides the polygon rate of the Xenos by a factor of 3.
Avatar image for crazyberrywater
crazyberrywater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 crazyberrywater
Member since 2006 • 501 Posts
sony hasnt released teh specs themselves because they are afraid of the comparison.A-LEGEND
Can't someone Solid Snake the info out of Sony HQ? Christ
HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HarakoMeshi
The article on B3D is always evolving and the author did not have all of the facts from the beginning for example he was not aware that the PS3 GPU could use all 512MB of PS3's memory but was later corrected and he ammended the article. In the same way he needs to account for the Xenos tiled rendering, which incidentally I believe was discussed by Mike Abrash in the past.
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 A-LEGEND
[QUOTE="A-LEGEND"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"]

HarakoMeshi

Sorry but I think I have yet to be proven wrong. Just because you think I am probably wrong means nothing. The article that backs the claims that the 360 could be better at 1080p has failed to take into consideration the limitations I described above, that is why I have written the comment and hopefully they will factor that into their analysis. They have only a very basic analysis which states Xenos has higher fillrate therefore it must be better for 1080p, however the tiled rendering is a disadvantage of the Xenos that they must consider. Now I will be the first to admit that the Xenos may be extremely good at doing tiled rendering so it cancels out my argument. However if we suppose that an image must be broken into 3 tiles and all geometry must be processed 3 times, that divides the polygon rate of the Xenos by a factor of 3.

that is literaly impossible. you cannnot just divide a GPUs performance by 3. thats why i said lets wait until someone answers on the site you posted it on. you said yourself your assuming. so before making this post, and taking it to teh people lets have it verified.

HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HarakoMeshi
[QUOTE="A-LEGEND"]sony hasnt released teh specs themselves because they are afraid of the comparison.crazyberrywater
Can't someone Solid Snake the info out of Sony HQ? Christ

Clock rates are not very important for comparison since the two systems do not have the same bang per cycle.
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 A-LEGEND

The article on B3D is always evolving and the author did not have all of the facts from the beginning for example he was not aware that the PS3 GPU could use all 512MB of PS3's memory but was later corrected and he ammended the article. In the same way he needs to account for the Xenos tiled rendering, which incidentally I believe was discussed by Mike Abrash in the past. HarakoMeshi

we shall see. i said. wait until someone answers. you admited yourself your assuming.

FrYGuY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FrYGuY101
Member since 2006 • 352 Posts

HarakoMeshi
Wait, did you just honestly suggest that because some developers have to jump through some (admittedly annoying) hoops to utilize the EDRAM's basically free 4xAA, z-buffering, alpha blending... because the RSX has full access to system memory? Just like Xenos does, except with a severe latency penalty for accessing the XDR? I mean, Xenos has more pipelines, pipelines which fully programmable... the EDRAM is icing on delicious cake.
HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HarakoMeshi
[QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"][QUOTE="A-LEGEND"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"]

A-LEGEND

that is literaly impossible. you cannnot just divide a GPUs performance by 3. thats why i said lets wait until someone answers on the site you posted it on. you said yourself your assuming. so before making this post, and taking it to teh people lets have it verified.

It may sound crazy to you but this is exactly the system the 360 uses - a tiling system where the scene must be rendered multiple times to compose a full picture. In order to render all vertices must be re-calculated by the vertex units so effective vertex rate will be divided by the number of tiles. The pixel rate won't be affected by this, so overall the whole GPU is not 3 tims slower but the vertex processing is.
HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HarakoMeshi
[QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"]

FrYGuY101
Wait, did you just honestly suggest that because some developers have to jump through some (admittedly annoying) hoops to utilize the EDRAM's basically free 4xAA, z-buffering, alpha blending... because the RSX has full access to system memory? Just like Xenos does, except with a severe latency penalty for accessing the XDR? I mean, Xenos has more pipelines, pipelines which fully programmable... the EDRAM is icing on delicious cake.

Yes, the EDRAM is the icing on the cake and also the botlekneck in HD rendering. RSX does not need to use all 512MB. To render 720p with 4XMSAA requires only about 28MB of memory. The 360 however has only 10MB of EDRAM which is why the whole tiling thing comes about. It is not just about developers going through hoops, it is about GPU being utilized much more heavily on the 360 to achieve the same thing.
Doomlike_Mitc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Doomlike_Mitc
Member since 2006 • 4912 Posts

Games look good, so I am happy about teh 360's powa.

A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 A-LEGEND
[QUOTE="A-LEGEND"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"][QUOTE="A-LEGEND"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"]

HarakoMeshi

It may sound crazy to you but this is exactly the system the 360 uses - a tiling system where the scene must be rendered multiple times to compose a full picture. In order to render all vertices must be re-calculated by the vertex units so effective vertex rate will be divided by the number of tiles. The pixel rate won't be affected by this, so overall the whole GPU is not 3 tims slower but the vertex processing is.

we will see. if you are right. the only devs who have had their game lower resolution than 720p happen, are EA and admitted it was an error on their part. so again im waiting for an answer on someone elses part.

A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 A-LEGEND
[QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"]

HarakoMeshi

Yes, the EDRAM is the icing on the cake and also the botlekneck in HD rendering. RSX does not need to use all 512MB. To render 720p with 4XMSAA requires only about 28MB of memory. The 360 however has only 10MB of EDRAM which is why the whole tiling thing comes about. It is not just about developers going through hoops, it is about GPU being utilized much more heavily on the 360 to achieve the same thing.

whats funny is that on B3d NOBODY has ever suggestedt he 10mb EDRAM was too little. they have always been praising it.

FrYGuY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FrYGuY101

HarakoMeshi

The Xenos doesn't have to use the 10 MB EDRAM. If it doesn't, it is in the same boat as the RSX. Except, you know, without the latency penalty for accessing XDRAM.
supergokublitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 supergokublitz
Member since 2005 • 651 Posts

This is pointless, it took far more clever people than I, you or anyone from these various sites to create the xenos.

Please pay attention, Ati have been (in some areas) ahead of Nvidia in the pc market for years FACT.

The best example of this is the ability to do HDR + AA at the same time.

None of use truely can or will ever understand the arcitecture used and why?

All i know is it Rocks!

jxditu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jxditu
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts
some of you guys are acting like the ps3 has 512 megs of ram that is ready to be used, this is not the case at all. you have to take into account the background memory usage from both OS's. i think the numbers were 96 megs and 16 megs for both OS's to be running in the background at all times. so what it comes down to is the ps3 has its 256 meg videocard, and about 144 megs of system ram to play with.
HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HarakoMeshi
[QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"][QUOTE="A-LEGEND"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"][QUOTE="A-LEGEND"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"]

A-LEGEND

we will see. if you are right. the only devs who have had their game lower resolution than 720p happen, are EA and admitted it was an error on their part. so again im waiting for an answer on someone elses part.

Yeah but something I need to clarify is why are all GS screenshots of 360 only 1024x576 (about half of 720p) when all the PS3 screenshots are 1280x720 (true 720p)? You know it's not the same quality if the 360 renders low-res and then upscales to 720p compared to rendering a full 720p buffer.
noremorse18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 noremorse18
Member since 2006 • 847 Posts
you couldnt be more wrong tc. If you tile correctly the problems go away, there is no performance loss
HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HarakoMeshi
some of you guys are acting like the ps3 has 512 megs of ram that is ready to be used, this is not the case at all. you have to take into account the background memory usage from both OS's. i think the numbers were 96 megs and 16 megs for both OS's to be running in the background at all times. so what it comes down to is the ps3 has its 256 meg videocard, and about 144 megs of system ram to play with.jxditu
This topic was nothing to do about 512MB vs whatever you think is available to games, but about the 360 GPU and it's limit of only 10MB of writable memory.
HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HarakoMeshi
you couldnt be more wrong tc. If you tile correctly the problems go away, there is no performance loss noremorse18
And how do you know this? Does the 360 cache vertices? I don't think so. The only way to avoid it completely is if your geometry is easily dividable between the tiles and you pre-sort the geometry into buckets for each tile.
FrYGuY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FrYGuY101
[QUOTE="noremorse18"]you couldnt be more wrong tc. If you tile correctly the problems go away, there is no performance loss HarakoMeshi
And how do you know this? Does the 360 cache vertices? I don't think so. The only way to avoid it completely is if your geometry is easily dividable between the tiles and you pre-sort the geometry into buckets for each tile.

Or by, say, writing to a buffer in GDDR3 as you feed it into the EDRAM.
HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HarakoMeshi
[QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"][QUOTE="noremorse18"]you couldnt be more wrong tc. If you tile correctly the problems go away, there is no performance loss FrYGuY101

Sorry but I think the 360 Gpu core cannot write directly to GDDR3. All the pixel write logic is contained in the EDRAM chip (all the Smart Memory logic). From what I have gathered from public information the way to do tiling is load up a section of frame buffer, render your geometry, flush the EDRAM out to GDDR3, then repeat the process for every other tile. This process does not cancel out repeated drawing of the same geometry to multiple tiles.
FrYGuY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FrYGuY101
[QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"][QUOTE="noremorse18"]you couldnt be more wrong tc. If you tile correctly the problems go away, there is no performance loss HarakoMeshi

Sorry but I think the 360 Gpu core cannot write directly to GDDR3. All the pixel write logic is contained in the EDRAM chip (all the Smart Memory logic). From what I have gathered from public information the way to do tiling is load up a section of frame buffer, render your geometry, flush the EDRAM out to GDDR3, then repeat the process for every other tile. This process does not cancel out repeated drawing of the same geometry to multiple tiles.

Uh, that's blatantly wrong. The GPU has direct read/write access to the GDDR3. And, even if a developer chose to flush the geometry after every tile, you realize you can simply render the geometry in the visible field of that tile, you don't have to render the entire scene for every time...
HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HarakoMeshi

Ok the following is an example I found of a developer actually struggling with the 360 because of this tiling problem.

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Xbox_360_Too_Weak_To_Handle_720p_Games

You can see that they were forced to reduce the resolution of their games CoD3 and Tony Hawks 8.  So I am not crazy after all....

HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HarakoMeshi
[QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"][QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"][QUOTE="noremorse18"]you couldnt be more wrong tc. If you tile correctly the problems go away, there is no performance loss FrYGuY101

Uh, that's blatantly wrong. The GPU has direct read/write access to the GDDR3. And, even if a developer chose to flush the geometry after every tile, you realize you can simply render the geometry in the visible field of that tile, you don't have to render the entire scene for every time...

Sorry but please do some study before saying I am wrong. The Xenos pixel logic is all contained inside the daughter chip containing the EDRAM. The GPU Core sends pixel data at 32GB/s to the daughter chip where all the alpha blending, z buffering and MSAA is performed after which it is written to the EDRAM. The EDRAM can then be flushed out to GDDR3. In fact they have a clever flush system where the EDRAM can write back one buffer while loading another. But the GPU Core never writes any pixels directly to GDDR3.
jxditu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jxditu
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts
[QUOTE="jxditu"]some of you guys are acting like the ps3 has 512 megs of ram that is ready to be used, this is not the case at all. you have to take into account the background memory usage from both OS's. i think the numbers were 96 megs and 16 megs for both OS's to be running in the background at all times. so what it comes down to is the ps3 has its 256 meg videocard, and about 144 megs of system ram to play with.HarakoMeshi
This topic was nothing to do about 512MB vs whatever you think is available to games, but about the 360 GPU and it's limit of only 10MB of writable memory.

if thats the case then why was this post started at all. we all know that the 10 megs of EDRAM is dedicated to video and it can have FULL read and write of the system memory. this was known for awhile now.
FrYGuY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FrYGuY101

Ok the following is an example I found of a developer actually struggling with the 360 because of this tiling problem.

You can see that they were forced to reduce the resolution of their games CoD3 and Tony Hawks 8.  So I am not crazy after all....

HarakoMeshi
And both of those games have worse framerate issues on the PS3 version than the 360 version, and (At least according to Gamespot) the graphics output by both seem to be identical.
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
Well...your whole post currently is false,because Sony hasnt released the official specs of the RSX so neither the Xenos or RSX can be compared.I used to be into the tech mumbo jumbo,I love talking about hardware...I also broke into Sony's hype believing that the PS3 could output graphics way better than the 360.Remember the first time they showed Resistance,Killzone,Mobile Suit Gundam,Tekken...now look at those games(exclude Killzone),o.O reality hits and the games look like poopy.Even one year after the 360's release no PS3 games still pass PDZ,Kameo,PGR3,DoA4,G.R.A.W....so we all should look at the games and judge graphics rather than looking at specs and going by "potential",and I didnt mention that most if not all multi-plat games between PS3 and 360 look and run better on 360,so much for it being soooo much more powerful..Whats the use in having all that "power" in the PS3 if its hard as heck for developers to harness it?:)So right now,im still sticking with the 360 in being better than the PS3's graphics,your article claims that the 360 is so much more weaker than the PS3 but nothing on the PS3 has blown me away graphics wise like PDZ,PGR3,G.R.A.W.,Mass Effect,Halo 3,BioShock...I can go on forever.
HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HarakoMeshi
[QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"]

FrYGuY101
And both of those games have worse framerate issues on the PS3 version than the 360 version, and (At least according to Gamespot) the graphics output by both seem to be identical.

Yes they have worse framerate but they haven't been downsized to half of 720p, and it doesn't conceal the fact that the 360 GPU is not as peachy as everyone says it is. Notice how everyone was quick to blame the developer for having a bad engine. Truth is the 360 limited those games and as for PS3 performance it has other issues developers have to get used to. The whole point is don't buy into this "360 GPU is 2X faster than the PS3" because that speed is there for a reason - to make up for the tiling.
FrYGuY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FrYGuY101

HarakoMeshi

Yes they have worse framerate but they haven't been downsized to half of 720p, and it doesn't conceal the fact that the 360 GPU is not as peachy as everyone says it is. Notice how everyone was quick to blame the developer for having a bad engine. Truth is the 360 limited those games and as for PS3 performance it has other issues developers have to get used to. The whole point is don't buy into this "360 GPU is 2X faster than the PS3" because that speed is there for a reason - to make up for the tiling.

If the 360 version was downscaled, and I have no real problem with the idea that it was, and the PS3 version wasn't... WHY DO THEY LOOK THE SAME?
HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HarakoMeshi
It would not surprise me if a large section of Microsoft's technical support documentation was about how to do efficient tiling, and that is probably one of the things 360 developers have to work hard to make up for. And just the fact many 360 games are actually not 720p but up-sized lower rez pictres is just funny.
HarakoMeshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HarakoMeshi
[QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"][QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"]

FrYGuY101

If the 360 version was downscaled, and I have no real problem with the idea that it was, and the PS3 version wasn't... WHY DO THEY LOOK THE SAME?

Umm, please compare the screenshots on GS for both versions of the games and notice that the PS3 ones are noticeably higher resolution.
FrYGuY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FrYGuY101
[QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"][QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"]

HarakoMeshi

Umm, please compare the screenshots on GS for both versions of the games and notice that the PS3 ones are noticeably higher resolution.

And where are those screenshots coming from? The 360 will put out 576p, it will also put out 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. The fact that Gamespot takes 360 screenshots at 576, while they take PS3 screenshots at 720p doesn't mean that's native resolution. There are plenty of screenshots out there with the 360 outputting at 1080p, doesn't mean that they're all rendering internally at 1080p...
dracolich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dracolich666
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts
http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/xenos/ This is the best artical, and the major points: -8 ROPs are @ 5% loss 4xAA+HDR @ 720p -48 Shaders each with 4 FP ALUs (each G80 shader has one FP ALU) -eDram from the ROPs to the framebuffer 256gb/s bandwidth -All 512MB of memory is free, OS is running off the 16MB flash chip -96 billion shader ops per second
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 killab2oo5
[QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"][QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="HarakoMeshi"]

HarakoMeshi

:)Respond to my post,:evil:I put effort into it.
navneet21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 navneet21
Member since 2003 • 1625 Posts
how can the RSX access 512 mb of memory when it only have 256mb of memory. the 360 has 512 of shared memory so only its GPU should possibly access 512mb Nugtoka

The PS3 has two 256 mb and these two can be shared between the cpu and the gpu.
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 killab2oo5
http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/xenos/ This is the best artical, and the major points: -8 ROPs are @ 5% loss 4xAA+HDR @ 720p -48 Shaders each with 4 FP ALUs (each G80 shader has one FP ALU) -eDram from the ROPs to the framebuffer 256gb/s bandwidth -All 512MB of memory is free, OS is running off the 16MB flash chip -96 billion shader ops per seconddracolich666
The 360's OS runs off of flash memory and not RAM?I didnt know that,does the PS3's OS run off of flash memory?Oh yea,he didnt even mention the requirements of both the 360's and PS3's OS...the PS3's OS takes ALOT more resources than the 360's. 
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 killab2oo5
[QUOTE="Nugtoka"]how can the RSX access 512 mb of memory when it only have 256mb of memory. the 360 has 512 of shared memory so only its GPU should possibly access 512mb navneet21

The PS3 has two 256 mb and these two can be shared between the cpu and the gpu.

No,the Cell can only use its share of 256mb or less,but the GPU I heard can in some cases use the its 256mb share and the Cells 256mb share.