Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2459 Posts

Been with Nvidia for years. Two or three days with AMD and already I have an intolerable issue, videos spazzing out between frames for the first couple of seconds seeking to a spot. I know it's the display driver because I've done everything up to downgrading to March's AMD driver and reinstalling Windows 11. All I installed on the fresh OS was MPC-HC by itself (no K-Lite this time) and madVR.

Happened to me months ago on Nvidia. Looked just like this. But that was fixable. This seemingly isn't. Happens in VLC as well, unless I turn off hardware accelation there. Also in PotPlayer. Turning off hardware acceleration doesn't help in MPC.

I don't wanna return this AMD 6800 and pay the Nvidia price, but I'm almost at that point. How do AMD's users put up with software like this?

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Warm_Gun

@girlusocrazy said:

I'm told PCs don't have problems, and when they do exist anyway, you're an idiot if you can't fix it in 5 seconds.

Dual boot Linux. Use Windows for games, Linux for everything else.

There's the System Wars answer.

Good to have specialized equipment for certain things. People who say PC easily does everything are dishonest.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56227 Posts

@warm_gun: I recommend try asking the AMD software problems at Linus Tech Tips forums as the community is more helpful too so give'em a try.

@girlusocrazy said:

I'm told PCs don't have problems

Who the hell told you that? No PC hardware/software is perfect.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17835 Posts

That is brutal. I haven't used Radeon since the 9800 Pro back in the HL2 days. So, I don't have any suggestions.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Warm_Gun

Reinstalled K-Lite Codec Pack, turning off the optional 64-bit components this time. Only after that did turning off hardware acceleration fix the issue in MPC. I still don't know if my GPU is broken, but I'm relieved. Haven't had display glitches in games.

Ithrewupfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Ithrewupfire
Member since 2008 • 129 Posts

try this

• Vertical Refresh Sync set globally to Always Off may cause system stuttering or driver timeout during video playback using Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.

always read the release notes

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.10.3 Release Notes | AMD

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Warm_Gun

@Ithrewupfire said:

try this

• Vertical Refresh Sync set globally to Always Off may cause system stuttering or driver timeout during video playback using Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.

always read the release notes

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.10.3 Release Notes | AMD

Tried that before reinstalling Windows. Thanks, though.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16564 Posts

Maybe you should stick to Nvidia?? 🤣

Sell it my man, you're out of your league on this video playback issue.

If your Xbox or ps5, which are using radeon can play these videos, then your gpu should play those videos easily. Next time test it out on the Xbox before resorting to wiping windows.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7217 Posts

AMD has always been cheap knock offs. With Nvidia comes quality and efficiency.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Warm_Gun
@girlusocrazy said:

@warm_gun: Does a codec pack even make a difference with VLC? I think VLC has all the codecs built in.

I don't care for VLC. It can't do HDR, as far I know. Most of the other players supporting HDR use madVR for it, but since VLC has its own codecs, it only lets you tone map HDR to SDR. Unless you can turn off the tone mapping somehow, making the picture look all washed out, and then enable HDR in Windows. madVR just triggers it on its own.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Never had a problem with AMD.

Go to.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts

Haven't had an AMD gpu.. ever? Was ages ago, but I've had friends and relatives who have. There's always some weird problems with them you're not getting with Nvidia cards. Plus, you have G-sync, which is better than free sync. Then you have games that just plain work better on Nvidia cards, because they made them to. I've never heard in my life that an AMD gpu is better than Nvidia at anything but price. And the price isn't much better either.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#17  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17835 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Go to.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

The majority of my cards have been AMD, not one issue. Only one I have had was with a GTX 460, try DDU.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Go to.

That upsets Nvidia fanatics, don't say it so loud.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
@Random_Matt said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Go to.

That upsets Nvidia fanatics, don't say it so loud.

the crazy nvidia fans are desparate these days, they're getting milked too hard by nvidias $1500 cards, and now are flocking to AMDs amazing value, and frankly better performance cards, then start bitching about issues like video playback and blaming radeon. Meanwhile, a scrub will load up the movie and play it on his xbox series S no problem. Its not the AMD card, its you...dont try some wierd encoding or whatever that most people don't care about and bitch about it here. You can solve 99% of these issues by installing the right codecs, it has nothing to do with AMD itself. These butt hurt nvidia fans come over here, join team red and talk trash, they need to stay in their lanes.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

I never heard of MPC but i thought i might try to reproduce it, though i am on Windows 10 (I have a 6900XT).

However (and correct me if i'm wrong) it looks like MPC has ceased development since 2017:

https://mpc-hc.org/

I'm not going to say AMDs drivers are perfect or anything but running old and unmaintained software in an environment it was never tested against (Windows 11) is asking for trouble. The fact that the same issue arose in with both Nvidia and AMD would suggest that there is a bug with MPC.

If MPC really has stopped development then i doubt Nvidia, Intel or AMD are checking it during their QA. The fact you found a workaround for Nvidia is more luck than anything else and i would recommend looking for a different media player. That workaround may also stop working in the future.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Warm_Gun

@osan0: The codecs I'm using are updated regularly, and I was able to reproduce the problem in other media players. It's not MPC, it's AMD. Also, it's slightly different than it was with my temporary Nvidia issue. I can record a video when I get home if you want. I never had to turn off hardware acceleration to fix it on Nvidia, hardware meaning AMD.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

@warm_gun: even just steps to reproduce. are you using out of the box settings or changing anything? I am curious to see if the same happens with Windows 10. Also what version of Adrenalin are you using?

The codecs aren't everything when it comes to presenting a video. They decode the video stream but the Media player application itself still presents it to the user.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8304 Posts

I use AMD Ryzen CPU but Nvidia graphics card. Been smooth sailing

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Yeah.....no.

There have been multiple driver releases from Nvidia that's burnt out cards due to improper fan functionality.

I've had many drivers over the years with Nvidia cause many problems, from:

• poor video playback (streaming and in games)
  • secondary and tertiary monitors not waking up from sleep
  • BSOD
  • crash to desktop
  • graphical glitches (one where lights from background sources would shine through all other objects - an example would be the sun in the sky shining, when you went inside the sun shined through walls) of many kinds
  • and the list goes on

Years back it took nearly 12 moths before a driver over 182.50 (if memory serves me right) worked with my setup without causing graphical glitches. I stayed on 182.50 for a long time, this is when I learned that if it isn't broken, then don't fix it. So I've learned to stay on a driver that works and not worry about moving the next latest release.

I've mostly used Nvidia over the years because I'm familiar with them, not because they're perfect. AMD isn't perfect either, but folks that outright think Nvidia is efficient and have quality behind them, that's not true. People feel that way because they maybe got burned by AMD the first time they tried them and they never looked back so their mentality is, "AMD sucks. Nvidia is awesome."

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@neatfeatguy: fantastic post, people really are dumb sheep. It's all good for me though, the worse AMDs reputation, the cheaper their cards. As long as they're profitable enough to stay healthy and in business, that's good enough for me. We should all be thanking warm_gun for doing such a great job. For the consumer. Sheep need to keep getting milked from the teets by Nvidia. I thank you for my "low quality" amd gpu.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Warm_Gun
@osan0 said:

@warm_gun: even just steps to reproduce. are you using out of the box settings or changing anything? I am curious to see if the same happens with Windows 10. Also what version of Adrenalin are you using?

The codecs aren't everything when it comes to presenting a video. They decode the video stream but the Media player application itself still presents it to the user.

I changed nothing. Only installed MPC by itself and madVR, with no custom options, and right away it started happening with AVC vids. Curiously, only 23.976 frame AVC seemed to be affected. Any 24 frame content I checked was fine. Most videos are in 23.976. Don't know why studios still convert 24 frame movies to 23.976, like televisions and home theater equipment still have the same issues as twenty-something years ago. Again, that it happened in other media players as well means it wasn't MPC. I don't consider the issue solved, because it starts happening again with most AVC vids as soon as I enable any hardware acceleration. Which I don't need, but which means that something is wrong.

@osan0 said:

The fact you found a workaround for Nvidia is more luck than anything else and i would recommend looking for a different media player. That workaround may also stop working in the future.

I can't use a different media player, because the media player scene on PC is poor. MPC is the only one in which I've been able to get all the features I like to work without also adding useless options on top that I don't need. Kodi probably could, but I don't need that Netflix interface all the time if I'm already viewing my files in Windows. Even the playback UI is clunkier, less efficient, with fewer shortcuts.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@neatfeatguy: fantastic post, people really are dumb sheep. It's all good for me though, the worse AMDs reputation, the cheaper their cards. As long as they're profitable enough to stay healthy and in business, that's good enough for me. We should all be thanking warm_gun for doing such a great job. For the consumer. Sheep need to keep getting milked from the teets by Nvidia. I thank you for my "low quality" amd gpu.

Yeah I had a good chuckle when the poster said nvidia was "efficient". They are not lol.

@warm_gun said:
@girlusocrazy said:

I'm told PCs don't have problems, and when they do exist anyway, you're an idiot if you can't fix it in 5 seconds.

Good to have specialized equipment for certain things. People who say PC easily does everything are dishonest.

Anecdotal, so feel free to ignore, but outside of some odd problems (generally solved with an hour of cursing and 20 minutes of troubleshooting) I've had essentially zero issues with any of the various computers I've built over the past 15+ years. They've come a long way; 20+ years ago if you said the same thing, that PC's are a PITA, I'd say you were putting it lightly.

They can do everything easily. However, knowing how to make the most of them also helps. This coming from a guy who probably barely makes full use of it 😋(if at all).

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Warm_Gun

@mrbojangles25 said: They can do everything easily.

So how about that Dolby Vision?

Don't even get me started on how clunky cinema/TV framerate (23, 24/50, 25, 29/59) matching is. Good luck not losing the picture when switching to an uncommon framerate or when exiting the video and switching back to your regular framerate, forcing you then to reload your display profile or switch to the other display and back. Playing 23 frame content at desktop's 60 or 120 Hz (or whatever even number) doesn't look right.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Litchie

@neatfeatguy said:
@mesome713 said:

Yeah.....no.

There have been multiple driver releases from Nvidia that's burnt out cards due to improper fan functionality.

• BSOD
  • crash to desktop
  • graphical glitches (one where lights from background sources would shine through all other objects - an example would be the sun in the sky shining, when you went inside the sun shined through walls) of many kinds
  • and the list goes on

Years back it took nearly 12 moths before a driver over 182.50 (if memory serves me right) worked with my setup without causing graphical glitches. I stayed on 182.50 for a long time, this is when I learned that if it isn't broken, then don't fix it. So I've learned to stay on a driver that works and not worry about moving the next latest release.

I've mostly used Nvidia over the years because I'm familiar with them, not because they're perfect. AMD isn't perfect either, but folks that outright think Nvidia is efficient and have quality behind them, that's not true. People feel that way because they maybe got burned by AMD the first time they tried them and they never looked back so their mentality is, "AMD sucks. Nvidia is awesome."

"poor video playback (streaming and in games)"
Don't act like AMD cards are immune to that.

"secondary and tertiary monitors not waking up from sleep"
I've never even heard about that, let alone had that problem.

"BSOD"
Hasn't happened to me in over 10 years, probably more, with Nvidia cards. Are these complaints from 2002?

"crash to desktop"
Again, a silly point, as that can happen just as much with AMD cards, depending on the rest of the PC and what the PC is doing.

"graphical glitches (one where lights from background sources would shine through all other objects - an example would be the sun in the sky shining, when you went inside the sun shined through walls) of many kinds"
So yeah, your complaints are from 2002. Maybe even earlier? I remember that happened with Unreal Tournament from 1999. Not much else.

I don't agree with @mesome713 either, but Nvidia has pretty much always been a little more stable and a little more expensive than AMD, also with more support from game developers, which helps Nvidia users even further. Seems to still be that way. Which means, you pay a little extra for a little bit better quality, like its always been.

When looking for a new GPU, I'm only looking for the best card for the best price, always. If that happens to be AMD, I'm gonna be all over it. Hasn't happened in years though. I can always shell out a little bit more and get a better card with Nvidia.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

@mrbojangles25: did I say everything? I meant most things 😁😋

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts
@Litchie said:
@neatfeatguy said:
@mesome713 said:

Yeah.....no.

• BSOD
  • crash to desktop
  • and the list goes on

"poor video playback (streaming and in games)"

Don't act like AMD cards are immune to that.

"secondary and tertiary monitors not waking up from sleep"

I've never even heard about that, let alone had that problem.

"BSOD"

Hasn't happened to me in over 10 years, probably more, with Nvidia cards. Are these complaints from 2002?

"crash to desktop"

Again, a silly point, as that can happen just as much with AMD cards, depending on the rest of the PC and what the PC is doing.

"graphical glitches (one where lights from background sources would shine through all other objects - an example would be the sun in the sky shining, when you went inside the sun shined through walls) of many kinds"

So yeah, your complaints are from 2002. Maybe even earlier? I remember that happened with Unreal Tournament from 1999. Not much else.

I don't agree with @mesome713 either, but Nvidia has pretty much always been a little more stable and a little more expensive than AMD, also with more support from game developers, which helps Nvidia users even further. Seems to still be that way. Which means, you pay a little extra for a little bit better quality, like its always been.

When looking for a new GPU, I'm only looking for the best card for the best price, always. If that happens to be AMD, I'm gonna be all over it. Hasn't happened in years though. I can always shell out a little bit more and get a better card with Nvidia.

I think you completely misunderstood my post, which is okay. You claim to use the best, but you quickly disagree with someone that's had issues with your best.

These are on going issues with Nvidia and AMD. Neither company is perfect, to blatantly claim one is superior over the other is childish. I've had issues for years with Nvidia and you've taken an example I gave way out of context to fit your narrative.

There are so many hardware and software configurations out there that there are bound to be conflicting issues with so many configurations out there. What works well for someone using AMD may not work well for you. What works well for you using Nvidia may not work well for others.

As for your claim that all these things must have happened pre-2002, sorry, they are things that have happened within the past 10 years up until recent.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Litchie
@neatfeatguy said:

I think you completely misunderstood my post, which is okay. You claim to use the best, but you quickly disagree with someone that's had issues with your best.

I think I didn't. Most of what you complained about with Nvidia cards are problems not only caused by Nvidia cards. And as such, I thought those points were silly. Don't paint me like an Nvidia fanboy, I don't give a shit what brand my GPU has, only that I'm getting the best card for the best price.

@neatfeatguy said:

These are on going issues with Nvidia and AMD. Neither company is perfect, to blatantly claim one is superior over the other is childish. I've had issues for years with Nvidia and you've taken an example I gave way out of context to fit your narrative.

I didn't "blatantly claim one is superior over the other". Just that I've found slightly better cards for a slightly higher price with Nvidia. You're the one who made silly points trying to make AMD look better.

@neatfeatguy said:

There are so many hardware and software configurations out there that there are bound to be conflicting issues with so many configurations out there. What works well for someone using AMD may not work well for you. What works well for you using Nvidia may not work well for others.

Indeed. That's one of the reasons why I thought your points were silly.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8489 Posts

@warm_gun said:
@girlusocrazy said:

And what does special equipment has to do with the problem you're having? It's not like special equipment doesn't have bugs or problems. Pretty sure consoles and specifically Xbox had a problem with crushed blacks and PS to lack VRR etc. Hell TVs has bugs with certain settings.

It's literally stupid to say that only PC has this problem and consoles or any special hardware won't. Anything that runs software will have problems and bugs.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Warm_Gun
@pc_rocks said:
@warm_gun said:
@girlusocrazy said:

And what does special equipment has to do with the problem you're having? It's not like special equipment doesn't have bugs or problems. Pretty sure consoles and specifically Xbox had a problem with crushed blacks and PS to lack VRR etc. Hell TVs has bugs with certain settings.

It's literally stupid to say that only PC has this problem and consoles or any special hardware won't. Anything that runs software will have problems and bugs.

Specialized equipment doesn't have parts and software made for so many different purposes working together, any one of them potentially messing things up. Xbox and PlayStation aren't specialized for movies. I have a device I use for most of my movies and it has problems, sure, but it's more capable and generally easier to deal with.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PC_Rocks

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

Call me crazy but if this is an issue with AMD's software sucking then wouldn't there be a solution out there already on how to bypass these playback issues because enough people would be encountering it that it either gets fixed or someone discovers a work around?

This feels like one of those weird issues specific to someone's particular system and not a problem with AMD as a whole.

Biggest issue I had with my 6700xt was games looking blurry until I realized my monitor settings were fucked and was causing the output image at 1440p to look messy. Before that it was back on my HD 6970 years back when RAGE first launched and id Software forgot to update AMD with the custom drivers they were using so at launch the game was a broken disaster on AMD cards but worked well enough on NVIDIA cards which is what my laptop had.

I'd be talking with the manufacturer before thinking of selling my current GPU to buy something even more pricey just for video playback in two specific programs.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PC_Rocks

@warm_gun said:
@pc_rocks said:

Specialized equipment doesn't have parts and software made for so many different purposes working together, any one of them potentially messing things up. Xbox and PlayStation aren't specialized for movies. I have a device I use for most of my movies and it has problems, sure, but it's more capable and generally easier to deal with.

Ummm...actually any specialized device with a software in today's world will have problems. It's just the nature of software. The only way to not have any bugs/100% reliability is stop updates/improvements/enhancements. Just go to any TV's reddit/forum and you will find tons of people complaining about something.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@kejigoto said:

Call me crazy but if this is an issue with AMD's software sucking then wouldn't there be a solution out there already on how to bypass these playback issues because enough people would be encountering it that it either gets fixed or someone discovers a work around?

There would, and there is. I found a duo of solutions that I'm confident would resolve the issue with 5 minutes of googling. But if the OP was looking for solutions, the thread wouldn't have been posted on this board.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
@pc_rocks said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

its true though...I would prefer AMD stay in 2nd or 3rd place, as long as their cards stay cheap. You can pay $1500 for the scam nvidia cards, its not my thing.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Warm_Gun

@pc_rocks: On a PC you increase that chance many times. The operating system, designed for so many tasks, and drivers alone introduce many times more variables than a device built for one purpose might.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PC_Rocks

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

its true though...I would prefer AMD stay in 2nd or 3rd place, as long as their cards stay cheap. You can pay $1500 for the scam nvidia cards, its not my thing.

It's cute you think AMD is cheaper when actually they are fleecing way more money from you over the 7000 series in terms of performance. According to their own admission chiplets are over twice as cheaper to make than monolithic chips and yet they asking similar price for even less features.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
@pc_rocks said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

It's cute you think AMD is cheaper when actually they are fleecing way more money from you over the 7000 series in terms of performance. According to their own admission chiplets are over twice as cheaper to make than monolithic chips and yet they asking similar price for even less features.

they're just setting price according to what nvidia sells theirs for. If nvidia was selling their cards cheaper, AMD would be too. Basically nvidia raising prices isn't good for AMD buyers either. Hopefully you sheep learn a lesson and not slob on nvidias knob, and force them to lower prices. But I won't be holding my breath on that one. Sheep will be sheep. Intel is the only hope at this point in forcing prices down.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PC_Rocks

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@pc_rocks said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

they're just setting price according to what nvidia sells theirs for. If nvidia was selling their cards cheaper, AMD would be too. Basically nvidia raising prices isn't good for AMD buyers either. Hopefully you sheep learn a lesson and not slob on nvidias knob, and force them to lower prices. But I won't be holding my breath on that one. Sheep will be sheep. Intel is the only hope at this point in forcing prices down.

The reason Nvidia was able to rpice gauge because they practically have no competition. That's the problem with AMD.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blaznwiipspman1

@pc_rocks: marketing sure is awesome. You cam convince people anything is true. Enjoy your Nvidia gpu, lol.

Personally I don't like how amd gpu prices are trending, and I'm hoping intel comes in and fixes that.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Warm_Gun

So it seems madVR cannot trigger HDR on Windows 11 with an AMD card. It does trigger HDR after downgrading to Windows 10, but it's washed out. Setting the display in madVR from Auto to 10-bit and above doesn't help. The different hardware decoders don't help, nor does setting them to None.

In Windows 10, videos still stutter back and forth between frames in those first seconds of seeking somewhere when I have hardware acceleration enabled.

I could either use the streaming box for all my HDR movies and lose the one HDR concert movie that for some reason stutters on that device with its 25 frames a second, or return the AMD card and pay the disgusting premium for an Nvidia card.

I think Resident Evil 2's HDR is also more muted, washed out. Not completely sure.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Warm_Gun

If I wanted an Nvidia card with equal or greater power, I'd have to replace my 650 watt PSU, on top of the GPU premium. Yeah, think I'll just give up on watching HDR movies on a computer.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Warm_Gun

At least there's Kodi for HDR. But the subtitle options are poor. Been trying to find if there's a way to convert one of the subs I wrote from SRT to image-based PGS. Kodi and the Zidoo don't accept the flags I wrote into the SRT to place subs on the left and right. Made sense for a concert.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Warm_Gun

I can never enable AMD FreeSync in the GPU control panel. That HDMI channel on the TV is set to VRR. Finding a lot of complaints about that. Thought it might be because I'm using a DisplayPort adapter, but it's the same without. An 8K-branded HDMI cable that has let me use everything up to 120 Hz 4K 4:4:4 RGB. I know you get what you paid for, but Jesus Christ.