After E3 2008, I understand Sony

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

They want you to wait, because they expect the PS3 to have a 10 year life cycle. Meanwhile, Microsoft knows that their life cycle will be much shorter, so they try to push out their new titles faster.

So while Microsoft will come out with a bunch of big releases, eventually the 360 will die out like the original Xbox due to lack of games, and due to the focus on Microsoft's next console. However on PS3 there will be a steady flow of good games for years to come.

So really, is waiting such a bad thing?

punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 punkrocker163
Member since 2006 • 2087 Posts

They want you to wait, because they expect the PS3 to have a 10 year life cycle. Meanwhile, Microsoft knows that their life cycle will be much shorter, so they try to push out their new titles faster.

So while Microsoft will come out with a bunch of big releases, eventually the 360 will die out like the original Xbox due to lack of games, and due to the focus on Microsoft's next console. However on PS3 there will be a steady flow of good games for years to come.

hockeyruler12

no, only fanboys call waiting a bad thing. look what waiting for MGS4 did. same for GTA4

gamefreakomega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamefreakomega
Member since 2003 • 3732 Posts

I think Sony's point was more that they realize that as of right now the PS3 is a little lacking in games, but you shouldn't give up hope because the PS2 had a very long life and amazing games throughout it.

As far as MS running out of steam with the 360, I don't see it happening any time soon.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Both systems have great games now, both systems will continue to have great games in the future.

I really do not get this whole "group X has to wait, LolOolOl!" thing that SW posters seem to always spout.

MrsWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrsWakka
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts
[QUOTE="hockeyruler12"]

punkrocker163

no, only fanboys call waiting a bad thing. look what waiting for MGS4 did. same for GTA4

Ya it made the best game of this generation and a 10 in gamespot . So maybe waiting is good .
JetLagz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JetLagz28
Member since 2004 • 646 Posts
I think the 360 is going to die off before the PS3. If M$ makes a new console first, and dumps the 360 like they did the Xbox, they won't ge as many followers as they think. At about that time, the PS3 will be well into its life cycle and have a library of good titles and still have a bright future.
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
no......try Sony focused on Blu-ray more than the PS3, that's why it's been a near total failure (in comparison to the PS2).
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

hockeyruler12

MS makes you wait as well, I recall seeing a CG trailer of Banjo last year and here we are and Banjo still isnt out, the same goes with Fable 2 and Too Human which if I recall have gone through three E3's, I could be mistaken but I definatly know its been two. Alan Wake is still a ghost.

All gamers have to wait. Its the PS3 second year and I have HS, Ratchet, MGS4, Resistance, Uncharted, GTP, Motorstorm, etc on top of plenty of multiplats. If I recall up until GEOW, 360 fanboys were living off of Kameo, PDZ and Dead Rising. And even after GEOW they had to wait another year for their Halo, Bioshock and ME which was also delayed.

Gaming has always been a waiting game, but for some reason MS fans like to pretend their different.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
So what you're saying is that the PS3 is better at pacing itself than the 360? That's an interesting argument, but since when does dreaming up games need to pace itself? Shouldn't that thing only apply to foot races and weight lifting?
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Javy03

no......try Sony focused on Blu-ray more than the PS3, that's why it's been a near total failure (in comparison to the PS2).darthogre

Yea but when you have 70% of the market down is the only way to go, otherwise I can guarantee if Sony pulled ahead of the PS2 , MS and Nintendo would be out. I mean the PS1 and PS2 were total domination and now the game is more balanced. I prefer that actually, that way everyone steps up their game.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

[QUOTE="darthogre"]no......try Sony focused on Blu-ray more than the PS3, that's why it's been a near total failure (in comparison to the PS2).Javy03

Yea but when you have 70% of the market down is the only way to go, otherwise I can guarantee if Sony pulled ahead of the PS2 , MS and Nintendo would be out. I mean the PS1 and PS2 were total domination and now the game is more balanced. I prefer that actually, that way everyone steps up their game.

There are positives and negatives with this. The negative I can think of off the top of my head is when you focus on multiple platforms the game overall suffers. Meaning, if a game was exlcusive it probably would be better overall (kind of like MGS4). It might not have been a BAD idea to have Nintendo get out of the console business....then they can concentrate on their core games. Imagine a hidef Mario, Metriod, and Zelda!!!! If they wanted to add the motion controls how hard woudl that have been to include as an accessory? Make the motion controls with one game as a pack for $100, then they can make all their games like that.

Basically I'm saying I was actually hoping Nintendo was out and became Sega with software only. But then again they are making money hand over fist so what do I know.

punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 punkrocker163
[QUOTE="punkrocker163"][QUOTE="hockeyruler12"]

MrsWakka

Ya it made the best game of this generation and a 10 in gamespot . So maybe waiting is good .

exactly, my point proven.

FFXIII360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FFXIII360
Member since 2008 • 988 Posts
Waiting sucks, iF ms moves on, so do I
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Javy03
[QUOTE="Javy03"]

[QUOTE="darthogre"]no......try Sony focused on Blu-ray more than the PS3, that's why it's been a near total failure (in comparison to the PS2).darthogre

There are positives and negatives with this. The negative I can think of off the top of my head is when you focus on multiple platforms the game overall suffers. Meaning, if a game was exlcusive it probably would be better overall (kind of like MGS4). It might not have been a BAD idea to have Nintendo get out of the console business....then they can concentrate on their core games. Imagine a hidef Mario, Metriod, and Zelda!!!! If they wanted to add the motion controls how hard woudl that have been to include as an accessory? Make the motion controls with one game as a pack for $100, then they can make all their games like that.

Basically I'm saying I was actually hoping Nintendo was out and became Sega with software only. But then again they are making money hand over fist so what do I know.

No I agree multiplats suffer because you have to balance two systems which means you dont push the envelope at all, but my competition drives improvements. Right now the Wii is on top of the world because Sony and MS ignored the casual gamer, but I am sure their next console will be powerful and have casual games, and hopefully a better starting price as well.

Nintendo might be a victim of its own success, I mean if they keep up this gen. pushing shovelware with a couple solid titles how will they follow that up next time? The controller wont be inovative anymore, and most likely Sony and MS will have a counter for it as well. And if SOny and MS price their console correctly that would kill the Wii 2's price advantage. This little niche Nintendo carved might be their tomb if they keep ignoring the hardcore audience and allow Sony and MS to match their moves.

Al3x_n90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Al3x_n90
Member since 2007 • 2561 Posts
The PS3 will have bigger waits between it's bigger, more important games, in the meanwhile they'll release some other games to keep the public satisfied, like this year, MGS4.....wait a few months with some other games....Resistance 2, motorstorm 2, LBP...another 3 months wait until KZ2...and so on
Hitman533

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hitman533
Member since 2008 • 642 Posts
Waiting isn't as bad, as long as theres games to play while you wait.
pilotc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pilotc
Member since 2004 • 3986 Posts

No waiting is not the answer. First of all a cycle shouldn't last more than 6 yrs. By then the technology is so outdated that the machine is a dinosaur. Face it PS3 is a flop.

punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 punkrocker163

No waiting is not the answer. First of all a cycle shouldn't last more than 6 yrs. By then the technology is so outdated that the machine is a dinosaur. Face it PS3 is a flop.

pilotc

Why are there fanboys everywhere? dont post if your gonna say something not needed here.

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts
Wow lots of worried people with all the spin going on right now! lol :lol:
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts
I'll laugh my backside off if i'm playing on a new MS console before Sony manages to get GT5 out of the door.
pilotc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pilotc
Member since 2004 • 3986 Posts
[QUOTE="pilotc"]

punkrocker163

Why are there fanboys everywhere? dont post if your gonna say something not needed here.

This section is designed for fanboys. Don't post here if you don't want to "internet tough guy"

punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 punkrocker163
[QUOTE="punkrocker163"][QUOTE="pilotc"]

pilotc

This section is designed for fanboys. Don't post here if you don't want to "internet tough guy"

internet tough guy? is that what they are called? lol. and how is this section designated for fanboys?

headninjadog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 headninjadog
Member since 2005 • 742 Posts
Microsoft's sales are abyssmal and they are desperate. I hate when the games media declares E3 "winners" while a companies respective sales aren't where they should be. Sony gets to much flak from fanboys for God knows what reason.
gamefreakomega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamefreakomega
Member since 2003 • 3732 Posts

pilotc

Well, the PS2 had amazing games well into its 7th year.

That, and the PS3 hasn't even been around long enough for it to be declared a flop.

headninjadog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 headninjadog
Member since 2005 • 742 Posts
[QUOTE="pilotc"]

gamefreakomega

Well, the PS2 had amazing games well into its 7th year.

That, and the PS3 hasn't even been around long enough for it to be declared a flop.

Seriously. 360 is having a hard time outselling a flop and I don't even own a PS3. I own a 360 and still admit this.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

Tell me when ps3 has as many AAA's as 360 does now.

It will probably be atleast a year.

Avatar image for deactivated-57a12126af02c
deactivated-57a12126af02c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57a12126af02c
Member since 2007 • 3290 Posts

Tell me when ps3 has as many AAA's as 360 does now.

It will probably be atleast a year.

angelkimne

Dont make me pull out thy trump card.

Tell me when the 360 has 2 AAAA's on it.

Seraphimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Seraphimon
Member since 2003 • 89 Posts

This is ridiculous.

Sony IS the new Nintendo, only with a significantly less profitable business model.

Waiting isn't a bad thing when you've got a constant supply of good games padding the release list between the mega titles, but Sony doesn't have this luxury anymore.

They did on PS1 and PS2, but PS3 is an entirely different scenario.

360 has the good games, padding out the waiting period between the halos and GOWs etc, but what does Sony have?

This is just like the N64 days, when months would go by without a worthwhile release, only this game has been played before.

Sony is the new Nintendo, only without the almighty first party to go with it.

And for those who think there's gonna be a ten year life cycle.....History says not likely.

Only winners stretch out the life cycle, and PS3 isn't in that position by any means.

NES -> SNES-> PS1 -> PS2.....guess what they all have in common? The biggest slice of market share.

GB -> GBA -> DS Same thing.

Master System, Genesis, GameGear, NGaGE....etc.

The least successful systems nearly always try to be the first ones out with new hardware, ala wiping the slate clean and starting from scratch.

Expect Sony or Microsoft to launch first next gen.

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
Xbox will live forever
J-Allard360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 J-Allard360
Member since 2008 • 80 Posts
[QUOTE="MrsWakka"][QUOTE="punkrocker163"][QUOTE="hockeyruler12"]

punkrocker163

This^

and

Waiting isn't as bad, as long as theres games to play while you wait.Hitman533

That^

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I don't think Sony having the largest library of delays is planned. It just doesn't make sense. I mean just look at Killzone 2. They said its already finish but they delayed it because they want the other games to shine. What other games? Socom and Resistance 2? I don't know about you, but looking from a consumer perspective this holiday, you want to look at the console with the most top notch products available this holiday.

Also if they were really planning a 10 year life cycle, why did they cut out BC in all of their future PS3 sku? They instantly cut off the largest library by taking away BC. Can you imagine with the PS4 not having PS3 BC? You'll probably get damage control like oh if you want to play PS3 games play it on your PS3. Both the Wii and 360 have BC in previous, present, and future skus, Sony on the other hand, not so much.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="punkrocker163"][QUOTE="MrsWakka"][QUOTE="punkrocker163"][QUOTE="hockeyruler12"]

J-Allard360

This^

and

Waiting isn't as bad, as long as theres games to play while you wait.Hitman533

That^

Yet GTA4 was on 360 also, got a 10 also, and with MS stealing all exclusives, i wouldn't put it past them to eventually get MGS4 onto 360 as well. Yep, 360 is the best consoel this generation, and if ps3 and MS are neck and neck in graphics now, wait until the next xbox comes out that'll blow PS3 away. Also, consider this fall update the half way point in MS 360 life cycle, its the 360.5 update. Will reinvent the console and send it soaring past ps3. Especially once the DLC for GTA4 hits, which they havent annoucned because its HUGE and FF13 now on 360, why even bother "waiting" for a ps3 title to arrive.

DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DrinkDuff
Member since 2004 • 6762 Posts
[QUOTE="hockeyruler12"]

Javy03

MS makes you wait as well, I recall seeing a CG trailer of Banjo last year and here we are and Banjo still isnt out, the same goes with Fable 2 and Too Human which if I recall have gone through three E3's, I could be mistaken but I definatly know its been two. Alan Wake is still a ghost.

All gamers have to wait. Its the PS3 second year and I have HS, Ratchet, MGS4, Resistance, Uncharted, GTP, Motorstorm, etc on top of plenty of multiplats. If I recall up until GEOW, 360 fanboys were living off of Kameo, PDZ and Dead Rising. And even after GEOW they had to wait another year for their Halo, Bioshock and ME which was also delayed.

Gaming has always been a waiting game, but for some reason MS fans like to pretend their different.

Sony has made us wait 3 and a half years for killzone 2, and its going to be longer still. Microsoft made us wait two years for Gears. The reason why fanboys use "just wait" is because the PS3 has the most games with the longest development and the most delayed games out of the big three. There have been only two IPs on the 360 that have been pushed back numerous times: Splinter Cell, and Alan Wake. The others are not significant enough to warrant impatience to the extent of Sony's shenanigans. Banjo was announced just over a year ago, and typically, games have more than a year to go when there hasn't been any gameplay shown. Killzone 2 gameplay was shown over a year ago, and we are still waiting until 09.
TheBurgerKing2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#35 TheBurgerKing2
Member since 2007 • 162 Posts
i dont see the xbox dying out like the old one because the first xbox was microsofts first console and they hadnt built a base and now the xbox 360 has gotten popular worldwide with games like halo and gears of war and i definitley think it is gonna hang on with the PS3 and the 360 is selling a lot more than the PS3 right now so we will see what happens.