Advantage of consoles: better support

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Temporius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Temporius
Member since 2008 • 502 Posts

An example:
A month after buying your new system, you hear a horrible screech coming from you hard drive, followed by a clicking noise. Telling microsoft/sony (the wii doesn't have a hard drive) tech support what happened would probably result in you getting a box sent out rather quickly. Calling OEM tech support for your PC, however, will likely result in you going through a long tech support script which will likely end in you being told to reinstall windows on the dead drive. If you explicity state that a head crash has occurred, you will instead be asked to email the Windows crash dump file to some tech support address, which is not possible. The console owner would have their console fixed for free, while the PC owner would have to buy a new hard drive.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
console rulez
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

the advantage is that its plug and play, you can even play consoles, in the car, the whole point of consoles, really to me, is just to be simple, when you just want to play a game, and be able to easily move the console around.....but thats not much the case anymore sadly

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
So harddrive fails,.... On consoles, you have to send back your console as opposed to Pc where you can either open and replace it yourself or bring to any computer store to get it replaced? If we talking warranties, I can personally attest that i've gotten boxes for HP, Dell, and toshiba and sent off laptops and desktops to get fixes for completely free (motherboards, harddrives, video cards dying). I am definitely confused on this advantage claim.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
If I get something damaged I just send it back and tell the guys "Hey, I do a lot of buisness with you can you please replace this broken drive. Its still under warranty". I get a new HDD in a few days compared to friends who have had consoles gone for weeks at a time.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

So harddrive fails,.... On consoles, you have to send back your console as opposed to Pc where you can either open and replace it yourself or bring to any computer store to get it replaced? If we talking warranties, I can personally attest that i've gotten boxes for HP, Dell, and toshiba and sent off laptops and desktops to get fixes for completely free (motherboards, harddrives, video cards dying). I am definitely confused on this advantage claim. jedikevin2

or you just open up the console and replace the hdd. you can do tha twith the ps3 and i think with the 360 slim aswell

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]So harddrive fails,.... On consoles, you have to send back your console as opposed to Pc where you can either open and replace it yourself or bring to any computer store to get it replaced? If we talking warranties, I can personally attest that i've gotten boxes for HP, Dell, and toshiba and sent off laptops and desktops to get fixes for completely free (motherboards, harddrives, video cards dying). I am definitely confused on this advantage claim. TheShadowLord07

or you just open up the console and replace the hdd. you can do tha twith the ps3 and i think with the 360 slim aswell

nah you still gotta but a MS harddrive, I wonder if anyone has tried using a regular harddrive

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]So harddrive fails,.... On consoles, you have to send back your console as opposed to Pc where you can either open and replace it yourself or bring to any computer store to get it replaced? If we talking warranties, I can personally attest that i've gotten boxes for HP, Dell, and toshiba and sent off laptops and desktops to get fixes for completely free (motherboards, harddrives, video cards dying). I am definitely confused on this advantage claim. TheShadowLord07

Yap. you definitely can. Just confused what this TC is really talking about.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

On the other hand...

PS3/360 HDD limited warranty: 365 days (90 days for 360 accessory HDDs)

PC HDD limited warranty: 1095 days

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

Sees defected PC hardare, takes out PC hardware and sends it back RMA or goes to store and buy new part.

Console malfunctions, send it back to sony/M$ and wait days.

Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]So harddrive fails,.... On consoles, you have to send back your console as opposed to Pc where you can either open and replace it yourself or bring to any computer store to get it replaced? If we talking warranties, I can personally attest that i've gotten boxes for HP, Dell, and toshiba and sent off laptops and desktops to get fixes for completely free (motherboards, harddrives, video cards dying). I am definitely confused on this advantage claim. gamer-adam1

nah you still gotta but a MS harddrive, I wonder if anyone has tried using a regular harddrive

I remember seeing mods for the original Xbox 360 model where people would upgrade the hard drive with a Western Digital laptop HD. They raised it from 20GB to 500GB I think. Not sure if you can do the same for the new models though.

On topic, warranties for PC parts usually last longer than console warranties and give the same benefits as you stated in your argument, whether the PC is custom built or pre-built. This argument seems a tad weak.

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

Disadvantage of consoles: you have to rely on that support for almost everything. When my disc drive broke on my 360 I had to pay $50 and send it away for several weeks. When the same thing happened on my PC I upgraded to a Blu-Ray drive for the same amount of money and had it installed within the hour.

When you're computer literate it's easy to save time and money when you own primarily a PC for gaming.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]So harddrive fails,.... On consoles, you have to send back your console as opposed to Pc where you can either open and replace it yourself or bring to any computer store to get it replaced? If we talking warranties, I can personally attest that i've gotten boxes for HP, Dell, and toshiba and sent off laptops and desktops to get fixes for completely free (motherboards, harddrives, video cards dying). I am definitely confused on this advantage claim. gamer-adam1

people have. just look it up on youtube.

EdenProxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EdenProxy
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts
So harddrive fails,.... On consoles, you have to send back your console as opposed to Pc where you can either open and replace it yourself or bring to any computer store to get it replaced? If we talking warranties, I can personally attest that i've gotten boxes for HP, Dell, and toshiba and sent off laptops and desktops to get fixes for completely free (motherboards, harddrives, video cards dying). I am definitely confused on this advantage claim. jedikevin2
I guess you dont own a console o.o
Temporius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Temporius

Quoted from one of my conversations to get a system repaired under warranty:

Me: My hard drive has suffered a head crash
tech: Do you get the blue screen error?
me: the OS crashes and the core dump fails because the hard drive is no longer usable
tech: please send the minidump file from C/Windows/Minidump/Minidump.dmp [sic] to (tech email).
me: even if that file did exist, I couldn't read it without destroying it
tech: Windows will always create that file when it encounters the blue screen error
tech:Is there anything else I can help you with?

This is generally what happens every time I call tech support. When attempting to get my 360 repaired, I had no problems convincing the tech that it needed to be repaired.

EdenProxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 EdenProxy
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

PC support can be a nightmare depending on what you have, how you bought it, and who its from.

If the last 3 months have taught me anything its just important to reserch the brands support history as it is the product itself.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Uh no.

I'll tell you my experience with dead hardware on the PC.

"Hey my such-and-such died"

"K, stick this RMA number on a box, and send it to us"

Three days later

"Hey my replacement is here!"

Not a single company has even attempted to question what happened to my items.

Temporius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Temporius

Uh no.

Three days later

Ly_the_Fairy

I eventually did RMA the laptop mentioned earlier due to PCIe bus errors 3 times per second on the video card that I'd been seing for a while (That happened on my 7th attempt to get them repaired under warranty). The hdd was replaced, but nothing else was fixed, including the bus errors they let me send it in for.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

My videocard and ram have a lifetime warranty.

My power supply has a 5 year warranty.

Everything else in my computer has a 3 year warranty.

So there goes your argument.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Uh no.

Three days later

Temporius

I eventually did RMA the laptop mentioned earlier due to PCIe bus errors 3 times per second on the video card that I'd been seing for a while (That happened on my 7th attempt to get them repaired under warranty). The hdd was replaced, but nothing else was fixed, including the bus errors they let me send it in for.

Oh, so you're dealing with a brand like HP, or Dell, or something.

If that's the case then you have just have a problem with that brand, and not PCs as a whole.

As an owner of a custom gaming PC I can tell you none of the parts in my PC have manufacturers like that. G.Skill, Asus, Western Digital, AMD, etc. All of them provide exceptional warranties, and will replace your parts no questions asked. It's quite nice.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

An example:
A month after buying your new system, you hear a horrible screech coming from you hard drive, followed by a clicking noise. Telling microsoft/sony (the wii doesn't have a hard drive) tech support what happened would probably result in you getting a box sent out rather quickly. Calling OEM tech support for your PC, however, will likely result in you going through a long tech support script which will likely end in you being told to reinstall windows on the dead drive. If you explicity state that a head crash has occurred, you will instead be asked to email the Windows crash dump file to some tech support address, which is not possible. The console owner would have their console fixed for free, while the PC owner would have to buy a new hard drive.

Temporius

We get good business support from Dell.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="Temporius"]

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Uh no.

Three days later

What laptop brand is it?
the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

Hard drive in PC breaks.

Use other 3 while fixing the 4th.

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts
and less crashes and headaches. pc they get viruses/spywares infections. system file gets corrupted can get pretty messy when playing games. save the headaches and get a console
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="the_mitch28"]

Hard drive in PC breaks.

Use other 3 while fixing the 4th.

PC has the RAID (mirror) option.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Most PC parts have longer warranties than consoles (360 is on par for most parts), if there is a problem you can get the part in question replaced.
the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

and less crashes and headaches. pc they get viruses/spywares infections. system file gets corrupted can get pretty messy when playing games. save the headaches and get a consoleiwasgood2u

The problem lies between the desk and the chair.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

[QUOTE="iwasgood2u"]and less crashes and headaches. pc they get viruses/spywares infections. system file gets corrupted can get pretty messy when playing games. save the headaches and get a consolethe_mitch28

The problem lies between the desk and the chair.

Pretty much. I have no firewall running on my computer, or anti virus when Im playing games. Do a scan every month or so. Never had a problem.
kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

Sounds like getting an xbox replaced is alot easier than cancelling xbox live.

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#31 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
I've seen good support with all systems...aside from my PS3 (which hasn't had any hardware problems yet) I didn't have any problems sending my 360 in when it died out on me, and PC problems are nothing but walking into a Best Buy and handing it over to Geek Squad (which if it's something they can't fix at the store, they usually ship it off to someone who does) even if you have a warranty or not (just...you'll be paying out the ass if you didn't buy your computer from them :P).
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

My ram broke the other week. You know what happened? It had a lifetime warranty, and was replaced in less than a week. My PS3 has no warranty left, and according to a friend who's had his replaced a few time, it takes much longer than a week.

TheRealUser101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheRealUser101
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

topgunmv
That's nice, but the typical warranty (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.) is 2-3 years.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
Say what you want of Nintendo when my DS's pixels started to look washed out, Nintendo offered to send me a new one while I wait for my own replacement so I wouldn't have any down time. Amazing. Sony's CS has been good to me too. I can't say the same about MS.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
It took my friend 4 weeks to get his rrod xbox back. My dad fried some ati 4xxx card and got a new one in about 5 days.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]It took my friend 4 weeks to get his rrod xbox back. My dad fried some ati 4xxx card and got a new one in about 5 days.

A lot of GPU have lifetime warranty too.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Depends on your problem TBH.
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Sure, if you don't care about voiding the warranty, in which case the OP's claim of better support is moot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

If a component breaks you contact the retailer and they'll replace it if it's still under warranty. Same as with any other product ever.

The potential actual problem with a PC component breaking is the troubleshooting process. Most users don't have backup parts just lying around, so in some cases you'll either have to send in one component at a time or have your local computer store check it out first.

If the PC is a prebuilt HP or some such, or if the retailer put the thing together for you, then you can send in the whole thing the same way as you would a console.

At least that's how things work over here.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

and less crashes and headaches. pc they get viruses/spywares infections. system file gets corrupted can get pretty messy when playing games.iwasgood2u

Only if you're a n00b who doesn't know how to perform basic PC maintenance and happily installs junk from disreputable sources. I had the same install of Windows XP for years that ran without a hitch.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

As PC gamers we simply buy, fix, and replace parts "ourselves" instead of trusting some possible lazy ass guy on the job.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

You do realize that PC components are also under warranty... Right? As well as PC's that you buy from a manufacturer.

Major advantage: some of my components have lifetime warranties, and things like the motherboard rock a 3-year warranty. How about the consoles for that? MS only includes the e74 error and RROD under that 3 year warranty.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
Oddly enough my HDD started performing noticeably worse when I defragged it after 3 years of not bothering.

[QUOTE="iwasgood2u"]and less crashes and headaches. pc they get viruses/spywares infections. system file gets corrupted can get pretty messy when playing games.dzimm

Only if you're a n00b who doesn't know how to perform basic PC maintenance and happily installs junk from disreputable sources. I had the same install of Windows XP for years that ran without a hitch.

Oddly enough my HDD started performing noticeably worse when I defragged it after 3 years of not bothering.
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

TheRealUser101
That's nice, but the typical warranty (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.) is 2-3 years.

so. it's still a good warranty.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

and less crashes and headaches. pc they get viruses/spywares infections. system file gets corrupted can get pretty messy when playing games. save the headaches and get a consoleiwasgood2u

If people would stop using Limewire and putting "free porn" into Google you wouldn't need to worry about these things.

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

My first laptop was a dell and it's screen broke. Dell had someone come to my house and replace it. That said, most the parts in my PCeither have several year orlifetimewarranties.

Temporius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Temporius

[QUOTE="iwasgood2u"]and less crashes and headaches. pc they get viruses/spywares infections. system file gets corrupted can get pretty messy when playing games. save the headaches and get a consoleJebus213

If people would stop using Limewire and putting "free porn" into Google you wouldn't need to worry about these things.

Malware authors have become considerably more clever. Malvertising has hit the New York Times online. Just viewing the site would result in your system being compromised.