SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45141 Posts

https://gameworldobserver.com/2024/02/07/activision-blizzard-layoffs-899-employees-infinity-ward

Information about the upcoming layoffs at Activision Blizzard was first reported by What Layoff?, an account that tracks layoffs at different companies in real time.

According to a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) notice filed with the state of California, all the cuts will be made on March 30. When looking at the addresses in the full WARN report, employees in the following divisions will be affected:

• Blizzard Entertainment (WoW, Diablo, Overwatch) — 479 employees;
  • Toys For Bob (Skylanders, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro remasters) — 86 employees;
  • Sledgehammer Games (Call of Duty) — 76 employees;
  • Infinity Ward (Call of Duty) — 49 employees.

Activision will also lay off 79 workers at its corporate Santa Monica headquarters and 130 employees at its publishing division.

Wow, never thought I’d see a massive layoff like this coming from a successful company. Especially concerned for Toys for Bob, since they brought back Crash Bandicoot and did a good job at it. Thoughts, SW? Were you expecting this after the merger happened? I didn’t think it would be this big.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Definitely some bad shit going on in the industry lately

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5254 Posts

There will be great concerns if the recent industry layoffs cause a domino effect of the type that brought the video game crash of 1983. Interesting, it has been forty years since the crash.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1059 Posts

That sucks. I hope these people land on their feet. Maybe they'll do the thing where they leave and form their own studio.

Is this part of the original layoff they did at ABK?

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2483 Posts

All these layoffs are leading the FTC to continue their fuckery

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6086 Posts

Fucking MS eh. Spend $69 billion and the first thing you do is lay off people 🤦‍♂️

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Wow MS just fired 2k and now another 900?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44219 Posts

Always sad to see. Unfortunately it’s just a sign of the times these days especially in the tech industry.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26103 Posts

@ghostofgolden: Good, hope they get stuff done.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

@last_lap: this is always the first step in any aquisition, the redundancy from overlap.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

This is what happens when you build your economic system off of unsustainable, unreasonable, and unrealistic infinite growth instead of basic profitability.

I hate to whine and not have any answers, but this can't continue. You shouldn't be a company that manages to generate billions in profit (profit!) every quarter but then have to downsize because you didn't grow.

The only saving grace here is:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@last_lap: this is always the first step in any aquisition, the redundancy from overlap.

One can only hope this is the truth, and we don't see any massive layoffs like this in the near future.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Last_Lap

@blaznwiipspman1: As of 2021 Toys for Bob had 180 staff, MS is laying off 86 almost HALF of its total staff, overlap my arse.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 daredevils2k

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@blaznwiipspman1 wasn't that last weeks excuse that lems were touting?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7206 Posts

Lay-off always come after major mergers.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69548 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

This is what happens when you build your economic system off of unsustainable, unreasonable, and unrealistic infinite growth instead of basic profitability.

I hate to whine and not have any answers, but this can't continue. You shouldn't be a company that manages to generate billions in profit (profit!) every quarter but then have to downsize because you didn't grow.

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

One can only hope this is the truth, and we don't see any massive layoffs like this in the near future.

Growth expectations are not the problem. Redundancy. This occurs with most mergers.

Ospi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ospi
Member since 2006 • 546 Posts

With automation, AI and improvements to engine efficiency there simply won't be as many employees required to make games into the future. I can see this trend continuing for awhile. In this case mergers also result in layoffs

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Last_Lap

@mrbojangles25: Toys for Bob had 180 (last reported in 2021 that I could find) and MS is laying off 86, how can half of a studio be an overlap.

I smell the usual BS.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

According to all of the coping nuts in this thread, the entire Toys for Bob was "Redundancy" Normally I would laugh at such nonsense, but justifying this is insane. Fanboys will excuse treachery when it is for their favorite mega corporation, which in this case happens to be the biggest company in the world.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3059 Posts

I hope the CEOs bonuses didn't take a hit. Now that would be tragic.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Growth expectations are not the problem. Redundancy. This occurs with most mergers.

That's fair then, though it'd be nice if they could find places for these people to go. I hope they at least got good severance packages.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2483 Posts
@last_lap said:

@mrbojangles25: Toys for Bob had 180 (last reported in 2021 that I could find) and MS is laying off 86, how can half of a studio be an overlap.

I smell the usual BS.

Not to mention all the cuts from the Xbox side... It's like they're trying to sweep internal layoffs into the "redundancy" cuts.

They spent a bunch of money on acquisitions and this is the correction due to missed performance targets. But they don't hit those stock market records without being a little disingenuous here and there. Everybody does it.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9555 Posts

Sounds like stripping the quality and keeping or increasing the price... that's what shady car dealers do.

First thing they did was dismantle customer support, and now this?

Usually I stay out of this kind of stuff, but that's scuzzy as hell, I hope all those employees find work soon and their families don't suffer.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34621 Posts

They will have to steal breastmilk elsewhere.

Seriously though, that's a lot of people. At least like.... 0.2% of the company.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By above_average
Member since 2021 • 1566 Posts
@mesome713 said:

That's the thing, According to MS's testimony to FTC it wasn't supposed to be a merger.

MS lied as usual

@4:53

Loading Video...

According to this report. MS misrepresented their acquisition of Activision/Blizzard

It was supposed to be a virtual integration allowing them operate independently (like Sony ACTUALLY did with Bungie) not a merger.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By above_average
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

That's fair then, though it'd be nice if they could find places for these people to go. I hope they at least got good severance packages.

He's wrong for the simple fact that it was not supposed to be a "merger" to begin with.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44087 Posts

Upon making the offer to buy them this was already baked into the cake. ;o

:P

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45141 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Upon making the offer to buy them this was already baked into the cake. ;o

:P

Lol read post #5

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice

@SolidGame_basic:

lol :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46329 Posts

Yeah Toys for Bob's office is being closed...

Man I really wished they got the opportunity to do another Banjo Kazooie for Microsoft.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By above_average

I wonder do xbox zelots still want MS to buy out all the publishers and studios in the industry?

That 3 Trillion in Microsoft money is doing wonders for all those xbox acquisition newly fired workers

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice

^^^^

I'm thinking R* should be next on the list. lol :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56137 Posts

To be fair, Blizzard staff for the most part has been nothing but shits! This is not me saying they deserved the layoff but the staff was just bad faith and no desired to do better.

And another thing is, Covid-19 played a huge role for the past few years with overhauling staff and once the pandemic had somewhat disappeared, the layoff were slowing happening but the whole MS/Activision buyout speed up that layoff process.

Sad to say but this whole merging was bound for layoffs. I'm just speculating, the gaming industry could end up on a massive collapse if these layoffs aren't taking care of.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@above_average said:

He's wrong for the simple fact that it was not supposed to be a "merger" to begin with.

I know this question would cause you to suffer a meltdown but what is the acquisition of ABK into Xbox then?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

@above_average said:
@mesome713 said:

That's the thing, According to MS's testimony to FTC it wasn't supposed to be a merger.

MS lied as usual

@4:53

According to this report. MS misrepresented their acquisition of Activision/Blizzard

It was supposed to be a virtual integration allowing them operate independently (like Sony ACTUALLY did with Bungie) not a merger.

Not exactly independent with Bungie. One of the reasons they had layoffs was because there's a clause in the contract that if they don't make enough revenue consistently, Sony can sack the board or something.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/12/lead-bungie-staff-fear-total-sony-takeover-after-layoffs-delays

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Getting laid off sucks and is very stressful. Hope they give them the resources they need.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 above_average

@Pedro said:
@above_average said:

I know this question would cause you to suffer a meltdown but what is the acquisition of ABK into Xbox then?

I dropped a video and there are links provided by others.

Why don't you use that peanut between your ears to do something other than spewing nonsense & speaking on topics you did zero research on and educate yourself before trying to post.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By daredevils2k
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

: this is always the first step in any aquisition, the redundancy from overlap.

@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@mesome713 said:

I think its funny that they are lemmings who truly care for the state of these employees, and their are lemmings who make up any excuse to protect MS. especially this redundancy excuse they keep pushing, when MS stated

Microsoft said it would treat Activision Blizzard as a vertical acquisition and suggested that it wouldn't need to institute layoffs, since there would be no redundancies.

I guess we can put the whole redundancies excuse to rest now.

https://www.engadget.com/ftc-accuses-microsoft-of-misrepresenting-its-activision-blizzard-plans-after-layoffs-215502314.html

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By above_average
@daredevils2k said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@mesome713 said:

I think its funny that they are lemmings who truly care for the state of these employees, and their are lemmings who make up any excuse to protect MS. especially this redundancy excuse they keep pushing, when MS stated

Microsoft said it would treat Activision Blizzard as a vertical acquisition and suggested that it wouldn't need to institute layoffs, since there would be no redundancies.

https://www.engadget.com/ftc-accuses-microsoft-of-misrepresenting-its-activision-blizzard-plans-after-layoffs-215502314.html

It's no wonder xbox fans are in the terrible state they are currently in.

They'll just run to defend ANY Microsoft action; good, bad or ugly for the sake of protecting MS's honor. ZERO information or research on the matter needed for them to go full cheerleader fanboy defense layer.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5254 Posts

I really do not get the tribalism of defending a company by many gamers on this forum even when they never worked or have a financial interest in the said company. Are they really gamers or they are corporate partisans, treating corporations like sport teams and political parties?

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1002 Posts

That is why you don't become a game developer. You are expendable asset to your corpo overlord. And honestly what were these people doing on a daily basis besides collecting paychecks? Most were not actively working on a game at all.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17822 Posts

Yeah it's still expected. Lay off the 1900....see how things lay, find more overlap and continue to cut. I suspect job loses from the merger will be closer to 3000 when all is said and done.

Sad to see but a reality of mergers and acquisitions.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38927 Posts

Please fire everyone who worked on D4.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts
@above_average said:
@daredevils2k said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@mesome713 said:

They'll just run to defend ANY Microsoft action; good, bad or ugly for the sake of protecting MS's honor. ZERO information or research on the matter needed for them to go full cheerleader fanboy defense layer.

name one merger where they didn't lay people off from redundancy? Even sony did it with bungie, did you forget THAT? How convenient 🤡. Also F the ftc...lol jk, I like the FTC but they're really going after the wrong company this time. AB is much better off being acquired by MS, and consumers are better off too.

Also about people being laid off, I think its a terrible thing of course, but its natural part of the economy. Gaming industry is booming, and there is lots of opportunity. Indie devs are also making huge titles these days, and gamepass is one of the reasons for their popularity. Thank you uncle Phil, SAINT Phil, and Microsoft for this beautiful platform.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By daredevils2k
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@above_average said:
@daredevils2k said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@Pedro said:

@mesome713 said:

name one merger where they didn't lay people off from redundancy? Even sony did it with bungie, did you forget THAT? How convenient 🤡. Also F the ftc...lol jk, I like the FTC but they're really going after the wrong company this time. AB is much better off being acquired by MS, and consumers are better off too.

m.

Once again I have shut down @blaznwiipspman1 uninformed post, He makes it so easy. I am so glad he doesn't do any form of researching, makes my job easy.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@above_average said:
@Pedro said:
@above_average said:

I dropped a video and there are links provided by others.

Why don't you use that peanut between your ears to do something other than spewing nonsense & speaking on topics you did zero research on and educate yourself before trying to post.

Meltdown confirmed.😂

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8476 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Well, ms as a whole also grew a lot as per their latest earnings report. They didn't become the most valuable company on earth for nothing. Needed an excuse to fire the peasants because the execs keep f**king up but needed their bonuses.