Acer wants in on the console market

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Unkind223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Unkind223
Member since 2006 • 390 Posts

Source: http://www.gamestar.de/news/hardware/vermischtes/acer/1478487/acer.html

"The taiwanese Notebook manufacturer Acer plans to enter into the console market. This communicated the senior Vice President, James T. Wong, on a press conference. Most current consoles are closed and proprietaere systems, which machine" on PC technology based "game machine"; from Acer is to set against it on open standards. This could mean that game developers would not have to pay license fees for the publication of plays on this system."

found this out on Neogaf.
(http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257304)

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
Yeah I'm kind of surprised no one has made a "standard" PC yet. Could have a set hardware base that developers could optimize for yet also be ungradeable and customizable.
slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts
That would be awesome, Acer makes quality products.
redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts

Hmm.

Mixed feelings about this.

More compotion is always going to be good for the industry and the lack of licencing fees is rather good.

But will it actually work...

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts
Oh dear god. I feel a little bit sick.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#6 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts
Wow, not too familiar with Acer, but if they do indeed end up making a console, and it ends up with exclusive games that I dig, then I will be buying it. The more good games to choose from, the better in my book.
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts

That would be awesome, Acer makes quality products.slickchris7777

Totally. Cheap too.

Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Can-o-Mark
Member since 2005 • 3844 Posts
I hope this doesnt happen. Three consoles is more than enough.
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
I'm all for another console. Why not?
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts

It'll be dead before it hits the ground.

Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts

Idk, i dont think acer will make it they are a expensive bunch according to there laptops and there is no way a console will be cheaper, and knowing they they will want the latest parts in there console, plus they need to get all the devs and publishers on there side so i may take a while.

but hey, go for it acer you may hit a gold mine

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
4 is too much. what would we call Acer fanboys?
Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Can-o-Mark

Idk, i dont think acer will make it they are a expensive bunch according to there laptops and there is no way a console will be cheaper, and knowing they they will want the latest parts in there console, plus they need to get all the devs and publishers on there side so i may take a while.

but hey, go for it acer you may hit a gold mine

Pinkyimp

Expensive? Acer's laptops are relatively cheap when compared to those of other brands.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ironcreed

4 is too much. what would we call Acer fanboys?air_wolf_cubed

Acorns?

Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts
rly wasent the Fararri series expensive like 1000 dollars, hmm ill look it up
lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

darklord888

EA has plublicly supported the idea of a unifed platform and if EA releases cheap games(that don't need to pay license fees to console makers) for a cheap console, than it might even have a chance of overcomming the big 3.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

That would be awesome, Acer makes quality products.slickchris7777

Tell that to the dead pixel I got on my acer monitor, which I eventually returned.

KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahaha

Pause for breath.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

Acer!!!!!theyll probably just get a dreamcast slap some black paint on and a new processor and call it the Acestation 720 or somethin!!!!

hahahahahaha.......

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
[QUOTE="darklord888"]

lordxymor

EA has plublicly supported the idea of a unifed platform and if EA releases cheap games(that don't need to pay license fees to console makers) for a cheap console, than it might even have a chance of overcomming the big 3.

Exactly. If the games are £10 cheaper, it might do very well.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ironcreed
[QUOTE="darklord888"]

lordxymor

The one intriguing prospect for a unified set top box that appeals to me is that I would no longer have to buy 2-3 consoles in order to get all of the exclusive games that I want. But the big 3 would have to be in on it first, of course.

Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Can-o-Mark
rly wasent the Fararri series expensive like 1000 dollars, hmm ill look it upPinkyimp

Well 1000 dollars for a high end laptop is not expensive at all, but I believe the Ferarri series were more expensive than that. My current laptop however, cost me about 1100 euros. And laptops with the same hardware from other brands cost like 1300+ at that point.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thrones
[QUOTE="lordxymor"][QUOTE="darklord888"]

ironcreed

The one intriguing prospect for a unified set top box that appeals to me is that I would no longer have to buy 2-3 consoles in order to get all of the exclusive games that I want. But the big 3 would have to be in on it first, of course.

I doubt M$, $ony or Nintendo will want in on this.

slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 slickchris7777

[QUOTE="slickchris7777"]That would be awesome, Acer makes quality products.bobaban

Tell that to the dead pixel I got on my acer monitor, which I eventually returned.

Well I have an Acer monitor, and have had no problems.

KeeperofDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KeeperofDingo
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts
*looks at his Acer laptop, desktop and flatscreen HD monitor* Sounds good to me.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ironcreed
[QUOTE="ironcreed"][QUOTE="lordxymor"][QUOTE="darklord888"]

thrones

Oh, I am sure that they do not, but there are a lot of industry insiders that think unified set top boxes are going to eventually be what our good ole' consoles evolve into. Lots of devs are for it, as they will have a lot more power within the market, because rather than hardware wars, it will strictly come down to being about nothing but the games.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
Ooh so maybe it will be ok now if one leaves the race :)

I tell You i'm not going to buy 3 or 4 consoles.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Hmm... if this is a standardized PC it's cool, but if it's just another wannabe console then that's not a good thing.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KungfuKitten
[QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="ironcreed"][QUOTE="lordxymor"][QUOTE="darklord888"]

ironcreed

Oh, I am sure that they do not, but there are a lot of industry insiders that think unified set top boxes are going to eventually be what our good ole' consoles evolve into. Lots of devs are for it, as they will have a lot more power within the market, because rather than hardware wars, it will strictly come down to being about nothing but the games.

The games not the gamers. The Wii is a shiny example of how far away we stand from a unified something.
lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts
[QUOTE="ironcreed"][QUOTE="lordxymor"][QUOTE="darklord888"]

thrones

Most developers don't want to pay licensing fees or have their games censored or changed somehow, so if they are offered a free platform they will jump in you can bet on it.If the big 3 doesn't change their ways they will lose money.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ironcreed
[QUOTE="ironcreed"][QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="ironcreed"][QUOTE="lordxymor"][QUOTE="darklord888"]

KungfuKitten

The games not the gamers. The Wii is a shiny example of how far away we stand from a unified something.

Hey, I am not making any predictions for if or when. I am just saying that it is being discussed within the industry as a very probable future. And is an idea that is fully supported by game industry giants such as EA....who currently are on quite an EAting spree in their forceful efforts of aquiring development houses.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
I don't see this console being successful at all. How does Acer plan to make money if they don't make money on software? They could go the Nintendo route and make money on hardware but look were Nintendo is at with third party developers. Another thing does Acer even make games? What accentive would someone have to buy this console over PS3, 360 or Wii?
Avatar image for JonJonJohnnyJon
JonJonJohnnyJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JonJonJohnnyJon
Member since 2005 • 216 Posts
If there are not licensing fees, then Acer would be losing out on a nice chunk of change. They would probably have to sell the console for profit (which is possible, since Nintendo does it).
Ze_ALEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ze_ALEX
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts

they make really good quality laptops for cheap prices
so i dunno

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

If there are not licensing fees, then Acer would be losing out on a nice chunk of change. They would probably have to sell the console for profit (which is possible, since Nintendo does it).JonJonJohnnyJon

It's possible but look at what you get with the Wii.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KungfuKitten

Hey, I am not making any predictions for if or when. I am just saying that it is being discussed within the industry as a very probable future. And is an idea that is fully supported by game industry giants such as EA....who currently are on quite an EAting spree in their forceful efforts of aquiring development houses.

ironcreed

Ow i know, don't worry.
I'm kind of neutral to this whole thing. (Don't understand how something like that could work. I see a lot of disadvantages even for developers.) Well it makes things interesting anyhow, and i didn't see something like Acer coming.
mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

NNNoooo!!! for the love of god, the last thing we need is another damn console...

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
Yay :| Another console to share the multiplat games with. Thats just what we need. Unless this new console was vastly different from the PS3/XBOX360 and Wii. There is absoluty no need for another console.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thrones

Yay :| Another console to share the multiplat games with. Thats just what we need. Unless this new console was vastly different from the PS3/XBOX360 and Wii. There is absoluty no need for another console.Dahaka-UK

The idea is that there's no licensing fee, making games £10~ cheaper! Hoorah! Of course, Acer doesn't have any in-house game development so... it'll need to negotiate with alot of companies. Perhaps a Joint venture by EA, Activision and Acer with the former going 2nd party on Acer's console? :P

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KungfuKitten

[QUOTE="JonJonJohnnyJon"]If there are not licensing fees, then Acer would be losing out on a nice chunk of change. They would probably have to sell the console for profit (which is possible, since Nintendo does it).-Renegade

It's possible but look at what you get with the Wii.

Yeah no games and on the wii the dev costs are even sliced. I don't understand it yet either. Maybe they are chasing a rainbow.
slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 slickchris7777
Maybe they'll just kick M$ out of the race.
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts
I hope it doesnt flake out as much as its laptops.
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts

[QUOTE="slickchris7777"]That would be awesome, Acer makes quality products.bobaban

And my Acer T180 that didn't come with a backup/boot CD and then the ePower gadget thing decided to try everything in it's power to break my computer.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts
I'd rather have a gaming company make a console. This way they make more games and at a higher quality (example SEGA).
M3tro1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 M3tro1d
Member since 2008 • 223 Posts
I've had a Acer monitor for a while and it was a great buy for the money, (cheap) so far no problems and the picture quality is great when I hook my 360 up to it.
Deiuos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Deiuos
Member since 2005 • 1402 Posts

Going against Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft is just suicidal.

Unless you have an amazing amount of cash, and have a super instant-selling innovative idea for gaming hardware, there's a slim slim chance for any type of success.

reyad-u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 reyad-u
Member since 2006 • 6960 Posts

More compotion is always going to be good for the industry

redstormrisen

I personally think more compeition from the software side is great. better quality games more often. But more competition in the form of another console? I think that's very bad for the consumers, money doesn't grow on trees so not all games can afford all the console to play all the good games. Sure you can stick to one but in the end there will be great games coming out on 3 other consoles (not including handhelds and the PC) that you wouldn't be able to play.

Kidtendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kidtendo
Member since 2006 • 758 Posts
I own an acer pc with a athlon 3800 dual processor. Its a mini tower that is smaller then the 360 but a real powerhouse. I love my computer and it does all I ask.
Droopeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Droopeh
Member since 2008 • 638 Posts

I'm using my quality Acer Laptop. If they made a console, I doubt it will fail. It'll have bluetooth as well, just like my Laptop, so there you have it for online communication. I'll definetely look into this more

C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts
Maybe they'll just kick M$ out of the race.slickchris7777
that would be a dream come true
afflictatrophy

Forum Posts