A look back at AAA situation for the last 3 generations of Nintendo consoles.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

The Nintendo 64 had 17 AAA games (based on Metacritic of course)

The Gamecube had 25 AAA games

The Wii had 13 AAA games three of which were last gen ports.

The Wii U has none at all.

In total the Nintendo consoles amassed 55 AAA games over the course of 17 years. In comparison the 360 has 51 AAA titles this gen alone and the PS3 has 50, the Xbox had 29, the PS2 58 and the PS1 had 29. So every generation Nintendo came LAST in terms of the best games and in games overall.

To wrap this up, what I am asking is, how can someone justify or defend Nintendo's consoles? They are literally missing the majority of the best games each generation, and yet still people would have you believe they are good systems. Now with the Wii U I am seeing the same thing, why even bother to try to justifiy it? Why say "Nintendo consoles are for nintendo games."? Why not demand more of nintendo? Why not have the same expectations of the 3DS applied to the Wii U? If the 3DS was only getting nintendo games and nothing else I'm sure you would have been bummed, especially coming off of the DS right?

Also I don't really want to hear I have X system so a Wii complements it, I am comparing nintendo's consoles to the rest.. not a nintendo console + something.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

*Grabs Popcorn*

file.php?40,file=33115,filename=Popcorn.

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 DropsofJupiter
Member since 2013 • 1449 Posts
*sigh*
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61539 Posts

Awesome.

The_Power_of_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Power_of_X
Member since 2013 • 563 Posts
Interesting read and it does seem like Nintendo gets a free ride in comparison to the other systems.
deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

Lol this thread delivers.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#8 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41585 Posts
This is desperate...
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

The Nintendo 64 had 17 AAA games (based on Metacritic of course)

The Gamecube had 25 AAA games

The Wii had 13 AAA games three of which were last gen ports.

The Wii U has none at all.

In total the Nintendo consoles amassed 55 AAA games over the course of 17 years. In comparison the 360 has 51 AAA titles this gen alone and the PS3 has 50, the Xbox had 29, the PS2 58 and the PS1 had 29. So every generation Nintendo came LAST in terms of the best games and in games overall.

To wrap this up, what I am asking is, how can someone justify or defend Nintendo's consoles? They are literally missing the majority of the best games each generation, and yet still people would have you believe they are good systems. Now with the Wii U I am seeing the same thing, why even bother to try to justifiy it? Why say "Nintendo consoles are for nintendo games."? Why not demand more of nintendo? Why not have the same expectations of the 3DS applied to the Wii U? If the 3DS was only getting nintendo games and nothing else I'm sure you would have been bummed, especially coming off of the DS right?

Also I don't really want to hear I have X system so a Wii complements it, I am comparing nintendo's consoles to the rest.. not a nintendo console + something.

GD1551
I base my enjoyment of a game solely on the opinions of others and do not have one myself. So with that being said, I cannot defend my Nintendo consoles.
Foxi911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Foxi911
Member since 2008 • 1676 Posts
Well to compare the Wii U generation is completely flawed, being that it just started. The Wii sales speak for itself. Nintendo is doing just fine, no matter how many AAA's they achieve.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

You're on to something there, Sherlock. Expose the truth to the world and gaming media, they have overlooked this so foolishly!

KillaCattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KillaCattle
Member since 2013 • 64 Posts

somewhere far away Reggie is rounding up his troops of sheep

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

I gave Ninty a pass with the Wii cause they looked like they could be in trouble after the GC, but there is literally no excuse for the Wii U.

After the Wii success I expected 3rd party support got Wii 2.0, Keep sh*tting on gamers Ninty.

[spoiler]   [/spoiler]

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GD1551

This is desperate...nintendoboy16

Using facts is desperate?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#15 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41585 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]This is desperate...GD1551

How about jumping on the Wii U for lacking AAA games when the damn thing has barely been out? That part screams "desperate".

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]This is desperate...GD1551

Sigh.... Super Mario Galaxy 2, AAAAE. Look it up. /thread
heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

Awesome.

lundy86_4

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]This is desperate...nintendoboy16

How about jumping on the Wii U for lacking AAA games when the damn thing has barely been out? That part screams "desperate".

I really didn't place emphasis on it.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]This is desperate...DrTrafalgarLaw

GTA 4, AAAA.. look it up?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I don't give a sh*t about scores, so this doesn't concern me in loving my Ninty consoles. For me, Mount & Blade Warband is better than 50% of 360 AAA games, and I haven't played a single 360 game that was more enjoyable than Fire Emblem Awakening (and I f*cking loved Halo CE and Reach)
ants83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ants83
Member since 2005 • 359 Posts

Nintendo miss out on most big multiplat games so them numbers don't seem too bad and I justify buying Nintendo consoles because I happen to like the games they offer :)

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I'm a huge fan of nintendo but I will agree that the wii gen was hit and miss moreso than previous gens. It might not mean a lot today but it could also indicate a decline. I'm still excited to see what nintendo can think up this gen. Then I may actually purchase a wiiu
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
But those AAA games on other consoles lack that Nintendo magic only found in Nintendo games.
DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DropsofJupiter

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are rated higher. Look, Nintendo's consoles miss out on third party games. We know this. It sucks, it's awful, but more importantly, it's not going to change. Buying a Nintendo system expecting some top of the line third party support is ridiculous. Just buy a Nintendo system for what it is, which is a machine to play the games developed by the best developer on the planet. Is it fair that people hold Nintendo to a different standard? Maybe, but hey, being the best developer on the planet comes with some pretty neat perks.
KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

wii dreamy

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"] Sigh.... Super Mario Galaxy 2, AAAAE. Look it up. /threadDropsofJupiter

Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are rated higher. Look, Nintendo's consoles miss out on third party games. We know this. It sucks, it's awful, but more importantly, it's not going to change. Buying a Nintendo system expecting some top of the line third party support is ridiculous. Just buy a Nintendo system for what it is, which is a machine to play the games developed by the best developer on the planet. Is it fair that people hold Nintendo to a different standard? Maybe, but hey, being the best developer on the planet comes with some pretty neat perks.

Actually GTA4 is rated higher with a 98 on Metacritic.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GD1551

But those AAA games on other consoles lack that Nintendo magic only found in Nintendo games.MFDOOM1983

I suppose, what is this magic exactly?

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GD1551

Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are rated higher. Look, Nintendo's consoles miss out on third party games. We know this. It sucks, it's awful, but more importantly, it's not going to change. Buying a Nintendo system expecting some top of the line third party support is ridiculous. Just buy a Nintendo system for what it is, which is a machine to play the games developed by the best developer on the planet. Is it fair that people hold Nintendo to a different standard? Maybe, but hey, being the best developer on the planet comes with some pretty neat perks.DropsofJupiter

It doesn't change because you all don't force nintendo to change it by voting with your wallets and boycotting their systems. The DS and 3DS has top of the line third party support.. is it ridiculous to expect it from those? Why are the home consoles any different? 

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DropsofJupiter

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

heeweesRus

Actually GTA4 is rated higher with a 98 on Metacritic.

And Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are higher on GameRankings. You know, the site that ranks games.
Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts
You're comparing AAA software of consoles that each had 5-6 year lifespans to one that's been out for 3 months?
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

You mean the game that I shelved only after 12 hours of playing, never even coming close to finishing it? Thanks but no thanks, I know how the game plays like. Some AAAA game that was. :roll:
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
running out of thread ideas huh GD?
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
But those AAA games on other consoles lack that Nintendo magic only found in Nintendo games.MFDOOM1983
ahhhh, the fabled Nintendo Polish that no other developer in the history of gaming can somehow manage.
DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DropsofJupiter

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"]

Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are rated higher. Look, Nintendo's consoles miss out on third party games. We know this. It sucks, it's awful, but more importantly, it's not going to change. Buying a Nintendo system expecting some top of the line third party support is ridiculous. Just buy a Nintendo system for what it is, which is a machine to play the games developed by the best developer on the planet. Is it fair that people hold Nintendo to a different standard? Maybe, but hey, being the best developer on the planet comes with some pretty neat perks.GD1551

It doesn't change because you all don't force nintendo to change it by voting with your wallets and boycotting their systems. The DS and 3DS has top of the line third party support.. is it ridiculous to expect it from those? Why are the home consoles any different? 

Dude, I would boycott Nintendo's systems in a heartbeat, but I need my Nintendo games, don't I? If I were to boycott a Nintendo system, how would I play Mario? Zelda? Metroid? Super Smash Bros.? We vote with our wallets. We vote that we buy Nintendo's systems for the games that only Nintendo can make. Nintendo's systems have a place in the industry, which is being the sole place to play the games by the most talented publisher in the world. They don't work as well if they are your primary systems, but use them as complements for your Xbox or Playstation, and you're set with a really deadly combo.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

I wouldn't have one as a only system as there overall library is the weakest out of the 3 consoles+pc you can't really argue agianst that but most of the good games on nintendo consoles are exclusive so thats why there worth owning for the "hardcore gamer"

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GD1551

And Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are higher on GameRankings. You know, the site that ranks games.DropsofJupiter

Sorry but Metacritic has more reviews.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

They're justifiable as supplemental systems but that's about it. Nintendo doesn't seem to get consoles, maybe they never will.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Man, you really don't like Nintendo :P Ownage approved though
DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DropsofJupiter

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"]

And Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are higher on GameRankings. You know, the site that ranks games.GD1551

Sorry but Metacritic has more reviews.

And? GameRankings has an unweighted system, with more rigorous standards for which site is allowed on there. I am not getting into the GameRankings vs Metacritic argument again. Suffice it to say that I use Metacritic for aggregate scores, but for comparing games in general, GameRankings has always been considered the standard.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"]

Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are rated higher. Look, Nintendo's consoles miss out on third party games. We know this. It sucks, it's awful, but more importantly, it's not going to change. Buying a Nintendo system expecting some top of the line third party support is ridiculous. Just buy a Nintendo system for what it is, which is a machine to play the games developed by the best developer on the planet. Is it fair that people hold Nintendo to a different standard? Maybe, but hey, being the best developer on the planet comes with some pretty neat perks.DropsofJupiter

Dude, I would boycott Nintendo's systems in a heartbeat, but I need my Nintendo games, don't I? If I were to boycott a Nintendo system, how would I play Mario? Zelda? Metroid? Super Smash Bros.? We vote with our wallets. We vote that we buy Nintendo's systems for the games that only Nintendo can make. Nintendo's systems have a place in the industry, which is being the sole place to play the games by the most talented publisher in the world. They don't work as well if they are your primary systems, but use them as complements for your Xbox or Playstation, and you're set with a really deadly combo.

Not being able to play 5 games for the entire generation to force nintendo to fix their ways on home consoles seems like a good sacrifice to make doesn't it? I mean it's not like those games are very different from the previous iterations, (Smash bros excluded since it's actually worse).

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]But those AAA games on other consoles lack that Nintendo magic only found in Nintendo games.GD1551

I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps it's the anticipation of having another game worth buying after a long drought, or maybe, it's just good ol' nostalgia. Maybe both?
DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DropsofJupiter

GD1551

Not being able to play 5 games for the entire generation to force nintendo to fix their ways on home consoles seems like a good sacrifice to make doesn't it? I mean it's not like those games are very different from the previous iterations, (Smash bros excluded since it's actually worse).

Right until this post, you were making good points, even great points. With this post, you degenerated into trolling and opinions. Super Smash bros. is worse? According to who? According to Metacritic, the very same site you are holding to a golden standard in this very thread, Brawl is better than Melee. Nintendo franchises never switch? Is Donkey Kong Country Returns the same as Donkey Kong 64? Is Mario Galaxy the same as Mario Sunshine the same as Mario 64? Is Skyward Sword the same as Twilight Princess the same as Wind Waker the same as Majora's Mask? Is Kirby Return to Dreamland the same as Epic Yarn the same as Kirby 64? Is Metroid Prime 3 the same as Other M? And what about the new Nintendo experiences every generation? Without a Wii, where else would I play Xenoblade? The last Story? Pandora's Tower? Without a Gamecube, where else would I have played Eternal Darkness? Without an N64, where else would I have played Perfect Dark? Goldeneye?
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"] Dude, I would boycott Nintendo's systems in a heartbeat, but I need my Nintendo games, don't I? If I were to boycott a Nintendo system, how would I play Mario? Zelda? Metroid? Super Smash Bros.? We vote with our wallets. We vote that we buy Nintendo's systems for the games that only Nintendo can make. Nintendo's systems have a place in the industry, which is being the sole place to play the games by the most talented publisher in the world. They don't work as well if they are your primary systems, but use them as complements for your Xbox or Playstation, and you're set with a really deadly combo.DropsofJupiter

Right until this post, you were making good points, even great points. With this post, you degenerated into trolling and opinions. Super Smash bros. is worse? According to who? According to Metacritic, the very same site you are holding to a golden standard in this very thread, Brawl is better than Melee. Nintendo franchises never switch? Is Donkey Kong Country Returns the same as Donkey Kong 64? Is Mario Galaxy the same as Mario Sunshine the same as Mario 64? Is Skyward Sword the same as Twilight Princess the same as Wind Waker the same as Majora's Mask? Is Kirby Return to Dreamland the same as Epic Yarn the same as Kirby 64? Is Metroid Prime 3 the same as Other M? And what about the new Nintendo experiences every generation? Without a Wii, where else would I play Xenoblade? The last Story? Pandora's Tower? Without a Gamecube, where else would I have played Eternal Darkness? Without an N64, where else would I have played Perfect Dark? Goldeneye?

watch him ignore all of that
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Heil68
[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]But those AAA games on other consoles lack that Nintendo magic only found in Nintendo games.MFDOOM1983

I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps it's the anticipation of having another game worth buying after a long drought, or maybe, it's just good ol' nostalgia. Maybe both?

I feel it's the latter and they get a free pass with game design/art and execution.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DrTrafalgarLaw

GD1551

Smash Bros has become worse? Whaaaaaaa?! This thread should have ended ages ago. Nothing to see here folks, move along.
DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DropsofJupiter
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

Heil68

I feel it's the latter and they get a free pass with game design/art and execution.

Nintendo makes some of the best designed games in the industry. When they don't, they get called out on it, like with Skyward Sword. However, nine out of ten times, a Nintendo game will be better than an equivalent game by any other developer.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

The TC has an unhealthy obsession with Nintendo bashing.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Heil68
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps it's the anticipation of having another game worth buying after a long drought, or maybe, it's just good ol' nostalgia. Maybe both? DropsofJupiter

Nintendo makes some of the best designed games in the industry. When they don't, they get called out on it, like with Skyward Sword. However, nine out of ten times, a Nintendo game will be better than an equivalent game by any other developer.

I respectively disagree. I like their games, but I dont feel like they're untouchable.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Are we talking exclusives or is this incluing multi-plats?  if this is talking about multiplats then GTFO because your data is misleading

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DropsofJupiter
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"][QUOTE="Heil68"] I feel it's the latter and they get a free pass with game design/art and execution.

I respectively disagree. I like their games, but I dont feel like they're untouchable.

That is all well and good, and a perfectly acceptable opinion, of course. I was just taking issue with what I felt was the implication that Nintendo's games aren't actually well designed, but that they get a free pass because of nostalgia.