A few truths about PC gaming.

• 160 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#101 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Bg: Whether or not they decide to make use of this option doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that the option is there, and PC gaming can be conceivablly cheaper than console gaming over the span of a generation. What is satisfactory is mere subjectivity. I don't want to deal with that. The fact of the matter is that the PC can be the same as a console, and be roughly the same face value. Even then, you have the price over the span of a generation.

We are not talking about what it CAN be, we are talking about what it IS. PC gaming IS more expensive then console gaming.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#102 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Bg: Whether or not they decide to make use of this option doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that the option is there, and PC gaming can be conceivablly cheaper than console gaming over the span of a generation. What is satisfactory is mere subjectivity. I don't want to deal with that. The fact of the matter is that the PC can be the same as a console, and be roughly the same face value. Even then, you have the price over the span of a generation.

We are not talking about what it CAN be, we are talking about what it IS. PC gaming IS more expensive then console gaming.

No, PC gaming IS less expensive than console gaming. The option is there. Whether or not the majority chose to use it does not matter. PC gaming has the option of being less expensive, just as it has the option of being more expensive. Of course, the same goes for consoles. Consoles have the option of being more expensive (like DHPs and stuff for highest quality). It also has the option to be less expensive. Either way, PC gaming IS less expensive.
Slipin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 Slipin
Member since 2004 • 989 Posts

I'm a PC Gamer and I can tell you right now, mods are not as great as you hermits claim it to be. For example everyone uses Oblivion mods as ownage. Total BS. Oblivion mods suck. I'll understand HL2 mods, those are great, but not all mods are good.Kayrod29

This is simply not true. Oblivion's mod extended the game by HUNDREDS of hours, you probably just haven't found any you like yet. 

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Bg: Whether or not they decide to make use of this option doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that the option is there, and PC gaming can be conceivablly cheaper than console gaming over the span of a generation. What is satisfactory is mere subjectivity. I don't want to deal with that. The fact of the matter is that the PC can be the same as a console, and be roughly the same face value. Even then, you have the price over the span of a generation.

No, PC gaming IS less expensive than console gaming. The option is there. Whether or not the majority chose to use it does not matter. PC gaming has the option of being less expensive, just as it has the option of being more expensive. Of course, the same goes for consoles. Consoles have the option of being more expensive (like DHPs and stuff for highest quality). It also has the option to be less expensive. Either way, PC gaming IS less expensive.

Nope. You can buy consoles when they are at a price point of $150 and console gaming instantly becomes much cheaper then even your lowest standard for PC gaming. Most people buy consoles when they are price dropped. So again... PC gaming is more expensive.
Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#105 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

You can read my blog for more detail.

1st. PC gaming is more expensive anyway you look at it, but for PC users it's worth it.

2nd PC graphics only look better because our hardware cycles are 6 months long (that doesn't mean we upgrade every 6 months).

3rd gaming PCs are only effective for about 3 years (at best).

4th PC gaming isn't easy.  You either have to spend a buttload of cash, or really understand about PCs and hardware.

5th can't buy used PC games, some places may sell them but it's often against the TOS, and quite risky to buy them. 

6th you may be able to use a game pad on a pc to play console type games, but it's always a pain in the ass.

7th pc games have better, and more exclusives but also tend to have less diversity in genres.

8th If you're not a pc gamer you have no idea how awesome mods can be.

9th you can't host as many players on a PC game as you can an XBL game.

10th buying/renting/using a dedicated server is more expensive than XBL, but many are free.

11th Pc gaming tends to be for PC people.  If you're not willing to be a computer "nerd" you probably won't have much luck with pc gaming.

jrhawk42

For the most part, you are fairly accurate but I take exception to point 11.  To be knowlegable or seek knowledge about something shouldn't make someone be a "nerd".  Are people that don't seek knowledge ignorant, lazy and somehow socially acceptable because of their stupidity?

In any event,  one of the most amazing things is just how much better PC gaming is than console gaming.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#106 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Bg: Whether or not they decide to make use of this option doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that the option is there, and PC gaming can be conceivablly cheaper than console gaming over the span of a generation. What is satisfactory is mere subjectivity. I don't want to deal with that. The fact of the matter is that the PC can be the same as a console, and be roughly the same face value. Even then, you have the price over the span of a generation.Bgrngod

Nope. You can buy consoles when they are at a price point of $150 and console gaming instantly becomes much cheaper then even your lowest standard for PC gaming. Most people buy consoles when they are price dropped. So again... PC gaming is more expensive.

Here in europe console gaming is more expensive... 

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#107 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]I haven't even gone into a discussion of mods yet. Games on the PC innately last longer even without mods. Why is this? I have no idea. I probably couldn't answer even if you ask me to. But games like Diablo are STILL being played to this vary day and are constantly offering diverging content not necessarily from mods. I pumped out over 400 hours in COD2 for the PC (check my xfire, vandalvideo) and only managed 40 hours in the console COD2. Why is this? Not sure, but PC games just tend to innately last longer with more diverging content even WITHOUT mods.Bgrngod
So for you personally, PC games last longer. That very same argument could be used for console games as well though, in terms of providing value. Games like Gears of War, and Madden and Halo 2 have every bit of value with them for some people as COD2 did for you.

We were playing games that make those games so special 10 years ago (Online) So i just blew your mind. that is exacally what we are talking about. we will always have more ram so we will always have more heckteic and filled battlefields than consoles. battlefield Wich is only 24 players online at a time compared to 62 for the PC. Console Online is nothing Like PC's sorry to break it to you.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]I haven't even gone into a discussion of mods yet. Games on the PC innately last longer even without mods. Why is this? I have no idea. I probably couldn't answer even if you ask me to. But games like Diablo are STILL being played to this vary day and are constantly offering diverging content not necessarily from mods. I pumped out over 400 hours in COD2 for the PC (check my xfire, vandalvideo) and only managed 40 hours in the console COD2. Why is this? Not sure, but PC games just tend to innately last longer with more diverging content even WITHOUT mods.peacebringer
So for you personally, PC games last longer. That very same argument could be used for console games as well though, in terms of providing value. Games like Gears of War, and Madden and Halo 2 have every bit of value with them for some people as COD2 did for you.

We were playing games that make those games so special 10 years ago (Online) So i just blew your mind. that is exacally what we are talking about. we will always have more ram so we will always have more heckteic and filled battlefields than consoles. battlefield Wich is only 24 players online at a time compared to 62 for the PC. Console Online is nothing Like PC's sorry to break it to you.

How did you blow my mind? By making a post that has nothing to do with what I was talking about? I guess in a way that did blow my mind yes..... "We"? I was playing the original Doom online back in '95 and have been playing PC games online ever since. And no you were not playing a game 10 years ago that has everything that makes Gears of War and Halo 2 special because such a game didn't exist. I am keenly aware of the differences between PC online and Consoles online. I've been playing them both for a really long time. Do you see how I made respondes to your statements? Please reply something that actually relates to what you are responding to next time.
Avatar image for Radeon_X1950XTX
Radeon_X1950XTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#109 Radeon_X1950XTX
Member since 2006 • 1055 Posts
big advantages for pc its HD ready(every monitor is hd since the first windows came out) MODS OMGZZ longest replay value (i still play warcraft 3 ) dedicated servers to consider, windows vista allows for easier installation for games, gamepads, and have console like features where you dont have to install the game right away to play... you dont need to know about pcs as much as windows vista features a unique (and very effective solution) system rating EXAMPLE component system-------------------rating processor---------------------5.0 (athlon 4600+ 2.4ghz) ram---------------------------5.9 (2gb ddr2) graphics--------------------3.5 (radeon X1550) gaming graphics-----------3.7 hard drive------------------5.8 all i have to know is my lowest score is 3.5 which means the minimum system requirements for future games will depend on it, so if you look under the box it will say, a minimum of a sub score is 3.0 then i can play!, if over 3.5 than i cant play... heres a more professional version: What is the Windows Experience Index? The Windows Experience Index measures the capability of your computer's hardware and software configuration and expresses this measurement as a number called a base score. A higher base score generally means that your computer will perform better and faster than a computer with a lower base score, especially when performing more advanced and resource-intensive tasks. Each hardware component receives an individual subscore. Your computer's base score is determined by the lowest subscore. For example, if the lowest subscore of an individual hardware component is 2.6, then the base score is 2.6. The base score is not an average of the combined subscores. You can use the base score to confidently buy programs and other software that are matched to your computer's base score. For example, if your computer has a base score of 3.3, then you can confidently purchase any software designed for this version of Windows that requires a computer with a base score of 3 or lower.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Bg: Whether or not they decide to make use of this option doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that the option is there, and PC gaming can be conceivablly cheaper than console gaming over the span of a generation. What is satisfactory is mere subjectivity. I don't want to deal with that. The fact of the matter is that the PC can be the same as a console, and be roughly the same face value. Even then, you have the price over the span of a generation.

This CAN be done with PCs as well, so I don't really understand your point. You may not have the biggest and baddest machine known to man, but you can most certainly buy a low grade machine for that much that EASILY has just as big if not a bigger catalog of games than an equivalent console platform.
Choad-Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Choad-Warrior
Member since 2002 • 4754 Posts

Nope. You can buy consoles when they are at a price point of $150 and console gaming instantly becomes much cheaper then even your lowest standard for PC gaming. Most people buy consoles when they are price dropped. So again... PC gaming is more expensive.Bgrngod

That logic is flawed. Waiting till the console is at the lowest price point is waiting until the end of the generation to play any of the games you just missed. And by the time the purchase is made, the generation is about over anyway, and you miss next generation.

You can apply nearly the same logic to PC's. Not to mention with PC's you can stick to the same hardware and keep playing games into future generations. Where as the PS2/XB/GC can't play PS3/XB2/GC2 games.

You can wait it out until the great graphics cards are $100 as well, and slap it into your system and you are back in business.

The true advantage of the PC is the extendability it has. You can draw out an upgrade for 4 years easy, and even when you jump to the next level, you can generally get away with buy a handful of parts and not a whole system. 

And again... to play next gen console games, you have NO CHOICE but to buy the new console but the PC will be able to play into future generations. (to an extent of course)

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 peacebringer
[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]I haven't even gone into a discussion of mods yet. Games on the PC innately last longer even without mods. Why is this? I have no idea. I probably couldn't answer even if you ask me to. But games like Diablo are STILL being played to this vary day and are constantly offering diverging content not necessarily from mods. I pumped out over 400 hours in COD2 for the PC (check my xfire, vandalvideo) and only managed 40 hours in the console COD2. Why is this? Not sure, but PC games just tend to innately last longer with more diverging content even WITHOUT mods.Bgrngod

How did you blow my mind? By making a post that has nothing to do with what I was talking about? I guess in a way that did blow my mind yes..... "We"? I was playing the original Doom online back in '95 and have been playing PC games online ever since. And no you were not playing a game 10 years ago that has everything that makes Gears of War and Halo 2 special because such a game didn't exist. I am keenly aware of the differences between PC online and Consoles online. I've been playing them both for a really long time. Do you see how I made respondes to your statements? Please reply something that actually relates to what you are responding to next time.

oh so we agree.... you blew my mind.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

So for many many people, even though they can do it cheaply, the ongoing cost of being a PC gamer is more expensive then being a console gamer.

Bgrngod

Again, ONLY in US and even there the diffrence is much smaller than it was last gen 

Fragged131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Fragged131
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts

4th PC gaming isn't easy.  You either have to spend a buttload of cash, or really understand about PCs and hardware.

jrhawk42
at 4: Most PC users find ways around this *wink* *wink* at 9: That isn't the truth, the biggest server i've seen on a console is a 64 player Black Hawk Down match, but come on, EVEN COUNTER STRIKE CAN HANDLE 64 PLAYERS! I belive they go even higher than that that.
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 peacebringer
[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

4th PC gaming isn't easy. You either have to spend a buttload of cash, or really understand about PCs and hardware.

Fragged131
at 4: Most PC users find ways around this *wink* *wink* at 9: That isn't the truth, the biggest server i've seen on a console is a 64 player Black Hawk Down match, but come on, EVEN COUNTER STRIKE CAN HANDLE 64 PLAYERS! I belive they go even higher than that that.

no this is true that blackhawk game could have not had much to it for 64 players. it's the lack of ram that Limits XBL and PO to lower Numbers with good graphics.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Bg: Whether or not they decide to make use of this option doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that the option is there, and PC gaming can be conceivablly cheaper than console gaming over the span of a generation. What is satisfactory is mere subjectivity. I don't want to deal with that. The fact of the matter is that the PC can be the same as a console, and be roughly the same face value. Even then, you have the price over the span of a generation.

This CAN be done with PCs as well, so I don't really understand your point. You may not have the biggest and baddest machine known to man, but you can most certainly buy a low grade machine for that much that EASILY has just as big if not a bigger catalog of games than an equivalent console platform.

So you are saying that I could go buy a PC for $150 that would play games that have come out in the last year or so? Yeah, no.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Vandalvideo
Brn: You're basically waiting till late in the generation for the price of hardware to depreciate in value. I can do that with a PC too. Heck, since the hardware cycle is much shorter on the PC, the price depreciates at a rate of about 200% faster than consoles. I could purchase a PC well into the generation for about 200 dollars that plays previous games. Thats basically what you're doing. Right now, consoles are between 400-600, and i could conceivablly build a PC for about this much that is almost on par with them. But again, face value is irrelevant.
ardylicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 ardylicious
Member since 2004 • 1107 Posts
I'm a PC Gamer and I can tell you right now, mods are not as great as you hermits claim it to be. For example everyone uses Oblivion mods as ownage. Total BS. Oblivion mods suck. I'll understand HL2 mods, those are great, but not all mods are good.Kayrod29
I am 100% pc gamer and i can argue the points but what you say about mods is totally right. It amazes me on how many pc gamers use mods to justify the pc's superiority. I loved the natural environment effects but most did suck. Aswell as the fact that if you struggled to play oblivion without mods you damnn well will when you install a mod. I certainly would disagree with point 11 though.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

The true advantage of the PC is the extendability it has. You can draw out an upgrade for 4 years easy, and even when you jump to the next level, you can generally get away with buy a handful of parts and not a whole system.Choad-Warrior
Not true. Standards can change radically in just a few years in the PC world. Look at the jump from AGP to PCI Express, and now there's a PCI Express 2.0 standard upcoming. I bought my computer just a few years ago, and now modern cards (which will be required for Vista gaming) are basically out of reach since they're all PCI Express and I have an AGP motherboard. What about power demands? Processor sockets? Memory improvements (like from DDR to DDR2 to DDR3, and what if FB-DIMM becomes en vogue?)? Hard drives (from PATA to SATA) The result is a chain reaction. You want to improve one part, but you discover that to upgrade the part, you have to upgrade another...which means you have to upgrade another part. And usually along the way, two of the things you have to replace the way are the motherboard and the CPU, which usually forces you to upgrade the memory, power supply...you eventually discover that you're better off just buying a new machine.

BTW, I speak from firsthand experience. When I built my machine several years ago, Socket A, AGP, and basic DDR were still top end. Tell me I can upgrade to a Vista-Preferred rig (which I'd need to play games like BioShock and Alan Wake) without essentially buying a new computer?

Choad-Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Choad-Warrior
Member since 2002 • 4754 Posts

[QUOTE="Choad-Warrior"]The true advantage of the PC is the extendability it has. You can draw out an upgrade for 4 years easy, and even when you jump to the next level, you can generally get away with buy a handful of parts and not a whole system.HuusAsking

Not true. Standards can change radically in just a few years in the PC world. Look at the jump from AGP to PCI Express, and now there's a PCI Express 2.0 standard upcoming. I bought my computer just a few years ago, and now modern cards (which will be required for Vista gaming) are basically out of reach since they're all PCI Express and I have an AGP motherboard. What about power demands? Processor sockets? Memory improvements (like from DDR to DDR2 to DDR3, and what if FB-DIMM becomes en vogue?)? Hard drives (from PATA to SATA) The result is a chain reaction. You want to improve one part, but you discover that to upgrade the part, you have to upgrade another...which means you have to upgrade another part. And usually along the way, two of the things you have to replace the way are the motherboard and the CPU, which usually forces you to upgrade the memory, power supply...you eventually discover that you're better off just buying a new machine.

BTW, I speak from firsthand experience. When I built my machine several years ago, Socket A, AGP, and basic DDR were still top end. Tell me I can upgrade to a Vista-Preferred rig (which I'd need to play games like BioShock and Alan Wake) without essentially buying a new computer?

That is because lately the acceleration of PC technology has doubled since 2 years ago.

Now, you can squeeze out muscle from your cards. There are still some great performing AGP cards on the market. They may not run games at max, but they will still run games.

The biggest trick isn't hardware power, but language. Ala Open GL or DirecteX 9/10 standards. Unfortunately due to timing RIGHT NOW, it will be hard yes to upgrade a handful of components.

But my rig is still kicking after 4 years. I am running even current gen games right now. Sure it isn't running at max, but I am content. 4 years is ENTIRELY possible, and piece by piece upgrade is as well after that 4 mark.

I am just mad that PCI E2 is out, SATA2. Those are the biggest hurdles to avoiding system upgrades. Because DDR2+ RAM, you don't need to jump to those levels. DDR RAM still has kick to it.

Vista preferred doesn't mean Vista needed. And I am confused... are games requiring Vista to run? I have not heard that yet. Link?

EDIT:spelling

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 HuusAsking

That is because lately the acceleration of PC technology has doubled since 2 years ago.

Now, you can squeeze out muscle from your cards. There are still some great performing AGP cards on the market. They may not run games at max, but they will still run games.

The biggest trick isn't hardware power, but language. Ala Open GL or DirecteX 9/10 standards. Unfortunately due to timing RIGHT NOW, it will be hard yes to upgrade a handful of components.

But my rig is still kicking after 4 years. I am running even current gen games right now. Sure it isn't running at max, but I am content. 4 years is ENTIRELY possible, and piece by piece upgrade is as well after that 4 mark.

I am just mad that PCI E2 is out, SATA2. Those are the biggest hurdles to avoiding system upgrades. Because DDR2+ RAM, you don't need to jump to those levels. DDR RAM still has kick to it.

Vista preferred doesn't mean Vista needed. And I am confused... are games requiring Vista to run? I have not heard that yet. Link?

Choad-Warrior
There are two Vista standards: Vista-Capable and Vista-Preferred. Only Vista-Preferred allows DirectX10 (as in, you can use the new desktop system--it's build around DX10). And since DX10 is a black-and-white standard, you're either in or out. And Microsoft has already said that Games for Vista will require DX10. BioShock and Alan Wake are confirmed Games for Vista.
lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts
alot of mods suck too.  actually, the vast majority do.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Choad-Warrior"]

HuusAsking
There are two Vista standards: Vista-Capable and Vista-Preferred. Only Vista-Preferred allows DirectX10 (as in, you can use the new desktop system--it's build around DX10). And since DX10 is a black-and-white standard, you're either in or out. And Microsoft has already said that Games for Vista will require DX10. BioShock and Alan Wake are confirmed Games for Vista.

With a little elbow grease you can run those games on XP. -_-. Games for Vista is a viral marketing campaign paid for by Microsoft which in no way gives them any jurisdiction over the game. There are set standards to be a "Games for Vista/Windows", but they do not actually control the development process of said games.
Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#124 Prid3r
Member since 2004 • 8643 Posts
great thread ^^ and Death Note is awsome ^^
twags82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#125 twags82
Member since 2003 • 4531 Posts

Oscuro's Overhaul mod cripples your statement. 

gnutux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#126 gnutux
Member since 2005 • 1341 Posts

1st. PC gaming is more expensive anyway you look at it, but for PC users it's worth it.

2nd PC graphics only look better because our hardware cycles are 6 months long (that doesn't mean we upgrade every 6 months).

4th PC gaming isn't easy. You either have to spend a buttload of cash, or really understand about PCs and hardware.

5th can't buy used PC games, some places may sell them but it's often against the TOS, and quite risky to buy them.

6th you may be able to use a game pad on a pc to play console type games, but it's always a pain in the ass.

7th pc games have better, and more exclusives but also tend to have less diversity in genres.

10th buying/renting/using a dedicated server is more expensive than XBL, but many are free.

11th Pc gaming tends to be for PC people. If you're not willing to be a computer "nerd" you probably won't have much luck with pc gaming.

jrhawk42
I played Counterstrike on the PC and mods never appeals to me. Also, it's true that PC gaming is ultraly expensive that's why I ditched PC gaming when I got my X360 (with exception of Battlefied and strategy games). gnutux
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="jrhawk42"]

11th Pc gaming tends to be for PC people. If you're not willing to be a computer "nerd" you probably won't have much luck with pc gaming.

gnutux
I played Counterstrike on the PC and mods never appeals to me. Also, it's true that PC gaming is ultraly expensive that's why I ditched PC gaming when I got my X360 (with exception of Battlefied and strategy games). gnutux

Over a longer, extended period of time you could conceivablly spend more on a console gaming platform. Face value is kind of useless.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="Choad-Warrior"]

Vandalvideo

With a little elbow grease you can run those games on XP. -_-. Games for Vista is a viral marketing campaign paid for by Microsoft which in no way gives them any jurisdiction over the game. There are set standards to be a "Games for Vista/Windows", but they do not actually control the development process of said games.

Can you prove that? I've been told all Games for Vista will require DirectX 10, and DirectX 10 happens to be a black-and-white standard. You must have a DX10 card to play a DX10 game. Certian games like Crysis and UT3 are simply DirectX 10-enhanced. But they're not Games for Vista (simply Games for Windows).
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Brn: You're basically waiting till late in the generation for the price of hardware to depreciate in value. I can do that with a PC too. Heck, since the hardware cycle is much shorter on the PC, the price depreciates at a rate of about 200% faster than consoles. I could purchase a PC well into the generation for about 200 dollars that plays previous games. Thats basically what you're doing. Right now, consoles are between 400-600, and i could conceivablly build a PC for about this much that is almost on par with them. But again, face value is irrelevant.

Yes I understand the depretiation of hardware for both Consoles and PC's. Despite the quick depretiation value of computer hardware, the console hardware will always be cheaper at the bottom of the price drop. Sure I can go on ebay today and build a computer with used parts, but I can also buy an N64 for $20 and it would be cheaper then any PC you could put together. The price of hardware that you walk into a store, or order from a store online (only way to PC part shop) will always be cheaper for consoles when trying to build a setup that is within an acceptable standard for that platform. You can not build a PC gaming rig today for less then $800 that will last you until 2011 and remain at an acceptable gaming standard. In 2002 I built the following PC: P4 2.23ghz 533FSB, nVidia 4800 (or 4600 can't remember the #'s), 512mg single channel ram and a reasonable mobo to run it all on. I think it was Epox or something. At the time this was a whole new rig so I also bought a keyboard/mouse/monitor/speakers etc etc. Do you honestly believe that rig would even come close to running Half-Life 2 or Doom III, games that are a few years old now, at an acceptable level? No it would not. I can tell you first hand it wouldn't because I had to upgrade it to do so. Here we are 5 years later and that rig is long gone, and the parts in it, and various parts outside of it, have been swapped out for much better hardware. This is why I continuely keep saying it doesn't matter that you CAN PC game on the cheap, since that is not how it is practiced. It only matters what people do, or would spend, to be PC gamers. That will always be more then the cost it would take to console game.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Brn: You're basically waiting till late in the generation for the price of hardware to depreciate in value. I can do that with a PC too. Heck, since the hardware cycle is much shorter on the PC, the price depreciates at a rate of about 200% faster than consoles. I could purchase a PC well into the generation for about 200 dollars that plays previous games. Thats basically what you're doing. Right now, consoles are between 400-600, and i could conceivablly build a PC for about this much that is almost on par with them. But again, face value is irrelevant.

Yes I understand the depretiation of hardware for both Consoles and PC's. Despite the quick depretiation value of computer hardware, the console hardware will always be cheaper at the bottom of the price drop. Sure I can go on ebay today and build a computer with used parts, but I can also buy an N64 for $20 and it would be cheaper then any PC you could put together. The price of hardware that you walk into a store, or order from a store online (only way to PC part shop) will always be cheaper for consoles when trying to build a setup that is within an acceptable standard for that platform. You can not build a PC gaming rig today for less then $800 that will last you until 2011 and remain at an acceptable gaming standard. In 2002 I built the following PC: P4 2.23ghz 533FSB, nVidia 4800 (or 4600 can't remember the #'s), 512mg single channel ram and a reasonable mobo to run it all on. I think it was Epox or something. At the time this was a whole new rig so I also bought a keyboard/mouse/monitor/speakers etc etc. Do you honestly believe that rig would even come close to running Half-Life 2 or Doom III, games that are a few years old now, at an acceptable level? No it would not. I can tell you first hand it wouldn't because I had to upgrade it to do so. Here we are 5 years later and that rig is long gone, and the parts in it, and various parts outside of it, have been swapped out for much better hardware. This is why I continuely keep saying it doesn't matter that you CAN PC game on the cheap, since that is not how it is practiced. It only matters what people do, or would spend, to be PC gamers. That will always be more then the cost it would take to console game.

Depends on what you mean by that big subjective "acceptable standard". You could easily build a PC using rebates and refurbed parts that for all intents and purposes can outperform a console for the exact same price. But I really don't see the point of this arguement. Face value is such a shallow arguement. Its only meaningfull if you look at the extended price of a platform over the span of a generation. and I'll repeat this as many times as I have to. It doesn't matter if the option is used, the option exists.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Vandalvideo
HuusAskign: Its not a matter of proving it, its a matter of doing it. All software is merely code. Code can be altered. Its not like the PC is some static platform that can't be chagned like consoles. You control your PC. Its totally conceivable that you could reverse engineer a game to play on any operating system. Not to mention that Bioshock is also on the 360 and is a Games for Vista title. OOPS the 360 doesn't support dx10.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Depends on what you mean by that big subjective "acceptable standard". You could easily build a PC using rebates and refurbed parts that for all intents and purposes can outperform a console for the exact same price. But I really don't see the point of this arguement. Face value is such a shallow arguement. Its only meaningfull if you look at the extended price of a platform over the span of a generation.

An "acceptable standard" means not chugging at 1024x768, which is a totally reasonable standard to expect. Hardly subjective. How many PC gamers do you know play at anything less and are totally ok with it? Sure you can build a computer with rebates and refurbs for the same price, but that is not what you are talking about with Cost now is it. You clearly stated that you are guaging based on "ongoing cost" to be a PC gamer. That PC you just built for cheap is going to require an upgrade in 2 years, and then possible a few more the following year. That requirement would come from the newer games chugging on that machine. Those costs are going to push beyond what the cost of any console is. Year to year PC gaming costs add up to well beyond anything consoles would cost. It's a FACT that PC gaming is more expensive then console gaming. I know this first hand since I do both and PC gaming has always cost me more. I don't buy the newest hardware at the top of the price bracket, and I don't buy the old stuff when it is still overpriced. Right now I am sitting on a 478 socket CPU Mobo. I have just about the best 8x AGP card available. My rig runs games pretty smoothly right now, but I am really concerned about how it will react when I load up Crysis or UTIII when they come out. I may be in a situation where I want to upgrade again so I can enjoy those games at the level they were intended to be played at. If I want to make the jump to PCIe I have to replace the mobo, cpu, ram, and vid card all at the same time. That is going to cost a pretty penny when I do eventually do it. And who knows what kind of hardware standards will have been upgraded by then. I may need to spend a bit more to try and "future proof" so later upgrades are easier to do.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Depends on what you mean by that big subjective "acceptable standard". You could easily build a PC using rebates and refurbed parts that for all intents and purposes can outperform a console for the exact same price. But I really don't see the point of this arguement. Face value is such a shallow arguement. Its only meaningfull if you look at the extended price of a platform over the span of a generation.

An "acceptable standard" means not chugging at 1024x768, which is a totally reasonable standard to expect. Hardly subjective. How many PC gamers do you know play at anything less and are totally ok with it? Sure you can build a computer with rebates and refurbs for the same price, but that is not what you are talking about with Cost now is it. You clearly stated that you are guaging based on "ongoing cost" to be a PC gamer. That PC you just built for cheap is going to require an upgrade in 2 years, and then possible a few more the following year. That requirement would come from the newer games chugging on that machine. Those costs are going to push beyond what the cost of any console is. Year to year PC gaming costs add up to well beyond anything consoles would cost. It's a FACT that PC gaming is more expensive then console gaming. I know this first hand since I do both and PC gaming has always cost me more. I don't buy the newest hardware at the top of the price bracket, and I don't buy the old stuff when it is still overpriced. Right now I am sitting on a 478 socket CPU Mobo. I have just about the best 8x AGP card available. My rig runs games pretty smoothly right now, but I am really concerned about how it will react when I load up Crysis or UTIII when they come out. I may be in a situation where I want to upgrade again so I can enjoy those games at the level they were intended to be played at. If I want to make the jump to PCIe I have to replace the mobo, cpu, ram, and vid card all at the same time. That is going to cost a pretty penny when I do eventually do it. And who knows what kind of hardware standards will have been upgraded by then. I may need to spend a bit more to try and "future proof" so later upgrades are easier to do.

Thats funny. My acceptable standard is 800X600 at 30 FPS. I guess it is subjective and changes from person to person. As far as upgrading every 2 years? WRONG! You can scale down any game to work on any 3D accelerator card within reason to the point where you do not have to upgrade over the span of ageneration. If you purchase a rig that outperforms consoles in 2006, you can scale down any and all games to that level where the average still look better, and perform well on that same rig over the span of a generation. I repeat, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UPGRADE.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Depends on what you mean by that big subjective "acceptable standard". You could easily build a PC using rebates and refurbed parts that for all intents and purposes can outperform a console for the exact same price. But I really don't see the point of this arguement. Face value is such a shallow arguement. Its only meaningfull if you look at the extended price of a platform over the span of a generation. and I'll repeat this as many times as I have to. It doesn't matter if the option is used, the option exists.

Alrighty then. I will throw you a bone here. It can be done cheaper "conceivably" but it is more expensive in practice. There, both our points in one nice sentence.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 HuusAsking

HuusAskign: Its not a matter of proving it, its a matter of doing it. All software is merely code. Code can be altered. Its not like the PC is some static platform that can't be chagned like consoles. You control your PC. Its totally conceivable that you could reverse engineer a game to play on any operating system. Not to mention that Bioshock is also on the 360 and is a Games for Vista title. OOPS the 360 doesn't support dx10.Vandalvideo
You're talking about reverse engineering software that is designed from the ground up to support such things as integer instruction sets, geometry shaders, Shader Model 4, and other features that are in DirectX 10 but not in DirectX 9 (remember, DX10 is a big jump from DX9). That's a lot more work than you think (and I do know a bit about programming). If a game has DirectX 10 as the minimum standard, how would you go about reverse-engineering it to make it work in DX9?

And BioShock on the 360 is a bad example. It may have been coded from the ground up to use the 360's architecture--IOW, developed separately from and simultaneously with its PC counterpart.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Depends on what you mean by that big subjective "acceptable standard". You could easily build a PC using rebates and refurbed parts that for all intents and purposes can outperform a console for the exact same price. But I really don't see the point of this arguement. Face value is such a shallow arguement. Its only meaningfull if you look at the extended price of a platform over the span of a generation. and I'll repeat this as many times as I have to. It doesn't matter if the option is used, the option exists.Bgrngod
Alrighty then. I will throw you a bone here. It can be done cheaper "conceivably" but it is more expensive in practice. There, both our points in one nice sentence.

once again...only in US 

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 HuusAsking
Thats funny. My acceptable standard is 800X600 at 30 FPS. I guess it is subjective and changes from person to person. As far as upgrading every 2 years? WRONG! You can scale down any game to work on any 3D accelerator card within reason to the point where you do not have to upgrade over the span of ageneration. If you purchase a rig that outperforms consoles in 2006, you can scale down any and all games to that level where the average still look better, and perform well on that same rig over the span of a generation. I repeat, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UPGRADE.Vandalvideo
Wrong again. What if a game's minimum is above your maximum? Games will reach that point eventually. I for one would not be able to handle Crysis--no way, no how. My computer has too many shortcomings.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]HuusAskign: Its not a matter of proving it, its a matter of doing it. All software is merely code. Code can be altered. Its not like the PC is some static platform that can't be chagned like consoles. You control your PC. Its totally conceivable that you could reverse engineer a game to play on any operating system. Not to mention that Bioshock is also on the 360 and is a Games for Vista title. OOPS the 360 doesn't support dx10.HuusAsking

You're talking about reverse engineering software that is designed from the ground up to support such things as integer instruction sets, geometry shaders, Shader Model 4, and other features that are in DirectX 10 but not in DirectX 9 (remember, DX10 is a big jump from DX9). That's a lot more work than you think (and I do know a bit about programming). If a game has DirectX 10 as the minimum standard, how would you go about reverse-engineering it to make it work in DX9?

And BioShock on the 360 is a bad example. It may have been coded from the ground up to use the 360's architecture--IOW, developed separately from and simultaneously with its PC counterpart.

It may have, it may not have. I don't like to deal with inferences. How much work is it? About a days worth if I don't use my handy dandy automated software that compiles the code for me. At my school almost every single person could probably do an individual game ina bout an five hours.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Thats funny. My acceptable standard is 800X600 at 30 FPS. I guess it is subjective and changes from person to person. As far as upgrading every 2 years? WRONG! You can scale down any game to work on any 3D accelerator card within reason to the point where you do not have to upgrade over the span of ageneration. If you purchase a rig that outperforms consoles in 2006, you can scale down any and all games to that level where the average still look better, and perform well on that same rig over the span of a generation. I repeat, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UPGRADE.HuusAsking
Wrong again. What if a game's minimum is above your maximum? Games will reach that point eventually. I for one would not be able to handle Crysis--no way, no how. My computer has too many shortcomings.

Thats the thing, you can scale down any and all games to run relatively well on any 3D accelerator card. It doesn't matter if the mimunum is above the maximum as you so put it. Its matter of coding it to work that way. Yay CVARs and Tweak software.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 AdrianWerner
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="Choad-Warrior"]

HuusAsking

Can you prove that? I've been told all Games for Vista will require DirectX 10, and DirectX 10 happens to be a black-and-white standard. You must have a DX10 card to play a DX10 game. Certian games like Crysis and UT3 are simply DirectX 10-enhanced. But they're not Games for Vista (simply Games for Windows).

GFW has many requirements(altough MS is making exceptions from them), two biggest are: dx10 support and 360 pad support. Now it does not mean the game will be Dx10 only, only MS' own games will be like that. If they would try to enforce it on 3rd party devs then those devs would simply not support GfW brand and stick to traditional "PC DVD" logo, heck, most actualy are sticking, GFW is struggling like hell right now. Aside from few MS own games you won't see any Vista-only games for the next couple years 

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Thats funny. My acceptable standard is 800X600 at 30 FPS. I guess it is subjective and changes from person to person. As far as upgrading every 2 years? WRONG! You can scale down any game to work on any 3D accelerator card within reason to the point where you do not have to upgrade over the span of ageneration. If you purchase a rig that outperforms consoles in 2006, you can scale down any and all games to that level where the average still look better, and perform well on that same rig over the span of a generation. I repeat, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UPGRADE.

"within reason"? That 4800 vid card and 2.23ghz CPU were outperforming the PS2 and Xbox when I bought it, and I HAD to upgrade it to play Doom III. Explain that to me. Explain to me how I could have run Doom III at even 800x600 on that rig. Not possible. I repeat, I HAD TO UPGRADE. And that was just to keep up with a game that came out a few years later. This doesn't even take into account F.E.A.R. and BF2 (garbage game btw). That rig would be 5 years old in a few months if I still had it. There is no chance in hell it would handle most of the games I have bought in the last 3.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Thats funny. My acceptable standard is 800X600 at 30 FPS. I guess it is subjective and changes from person to person. As far as upgrading every 2 years? WRONG! You can scale down any game to work on any 3D accelerator card within reason to the point where you do not have to upgrade over the span of ageneration. If you purchase a rig that outperforms consoles in 2006, you can scale down any and all games to that level where the average still look better, and perform well on that same rig over the span of a generation. I repeat, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UPGRADE.

"within reason"? That 4800 vid card and 2.23ghz CPU were outperforming the PS2 and Xbox when I bought it, and I HAD to upgrade it to play Doom III. Explain that to me. Explain to me how I could have run Doom III at even 800x600 on that rig. Not possible. I repeat, I HAD TO UPGRADE. And that was just to keep up with a game that came out a few years later. This doesn't even take into account F.E.A.R. and BF2 (garbage game btw). That rig would be 5 years old in a few months if I still had it. There is no chance in hell it would handle most of the games I have bought in the last 3.

Its simple, you could have used tweak software and CVARs to scale down the game to a point where it could run on that hardware. It may not have looekd like the secks, but it would look like every other game that ran on the hardware at the time, and for all intents and purposes is the same quality, if not higher than the console. I ran Stalker on a TI4,1.4ghz proc, and 512mb ram the other day. 800X600 30FPS just fine. I didn't really look like Stalker though. Looked more like.............hmm........OpenArena.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]HuusAskign: Its not a matter of proving it, its a matter of doing it. All software is merely code. Code can be altered. Its not like the PC is some static platform that can't be chagned like consoles. You control your PC. Its totally conceivable that you could reverse engineer a game to play on any operating system. Not to mention that Bioshock is also on the 360 and is a Games for Vista title. OOPS the 360 doesn't support dx10.Vandalvideo

It may have, it may not have. I don't like to deal with inferences. How much work is it? About a days worth if I don't use my handy dandy automated software that compiles the code for me. At my school almost every single person could probably do an individual game ina bout an five hours.

So far your explanations for why PC gaming could be cheaper have been the following: 1) Reverse engineering 2) Rebates/refurbs on hardware 3) Get used to playing games at 800x600 at the end of the PC's life cycle 4) Buy fewer games for the PC then you would for the console So great, you have corrected a few "misconceptions" by introducing a whole lot of sacrifices.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]HuusAskign: Its not a matter of proving it, its a matter of doing it. All software is merely code. Code can be altered. Its not like the PC is some static platform that can't be chagned like consoles. You control your PC. Its totally conceivable that you could reverse engineer a game to play on any operating system. Not to mention that Bioshock is also on the 360 and is a Games for Vista title. OOPS the 360 doesn't support dx10.Bgrngod

So far your explanations for why PC gaming could be cheaper have been the following: 1) Reverse engineering 2) Rebates/refurbs on hardware 3) Get used to playing games at 800x600 at the end of the PC's life cycle 4) Buy fewer games for the PC then you would for the console So great, you have corrected a few "misconceptions" by introducing a whole lot of sacrifices.

Well yeah, I didn't necessarily say it was the wisest thing to do. I'm saying you can do it. I don't like people saying the PC can't do something. -_-
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Thats funny. My acceptable standard is 800X600 at 30 FPS. I guess it is subjective and changes from person to person. As far as upgrading every 2 years? WRONG! You can scale down any game to work on any 3D accelerator card within reason to the point where you do not have to upgrade over the span of ageneration. If you purchase a rig that outperforms consoles in 2006, you can scale down any and all games to that level where the average still look better, and perform well on that same rig over the span of a generation. I repeat, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UPGRADE.

Its simple, you could have used tweak software and CVARs to scale down the game to a point where it could run on that hardware. It may not have looekd like the secks, but it would look like every other game that ran on the hardware at the time, and for all intents and purposes is the same quality, if not higher than the console. I ran Stalker on a TI4,1.4ghz proc, and 512mb ram the other day. 800X600 30FPS just fine. I didn't really look like Stalker though. Looked more like.............hmm........OpenArena.

No it isn't simple. I don't know, and certainly didn't know how to use that software. And I have no interest in scaling down a game so that it looks 4 years old. Graphics aren't everything for games, but they sure as hell are important to me. I want to experience the game the way the developers intended.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Thats funny. My acceptable standard is 800X600 at 30 FPS. I guess it is subjective and changes from person to person. As far as upgrading every 2 years? WRONG! You can scale down any game to work on any 3D accelerator card within reason to the point where you do not have to upgrade over the span of ageneration. If you purchase a rig that outperforms consoles in 2006, you can scale down any and all games to that level where the average still look better, and perform well on that same rig over the span of a generation. I repeat, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UPGRADE.

No it isn't simple. I don't know, and certainly didn't know how to use that software. And I have no interest in scaling down a game so that it looks 4 years old. Graphics aren't everything for games, but they sure as hell are important to me. I want to experience the game the way the developers intended.

Riiiiiight, but you didn't "have to upgrade". You made the chioce to upgrade of your own volition.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]HuusAskign: Its not a matter of proving it, its a matter of doing it. All software is merely code. Code can be altered. Its not like the PC is some static platform that can't be chagned like consoles. You control your PC. Its totally conceivable that you could reverse engineer a game to play on any operating system. Not to mention that Bioshock is also on the 360 and is a Games for Vista title. OOPS the 360 doesn't support dx10.Vandalvideo

Well yeah, I didn't necessarily say it was the wisest thing to do. I'm saying you can do it. I don't like people saying the PC can't do something. -_-

I agree. PC's kick @$$.
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts

Decent list but two more points.  My inital rig lasted me for about five years.  I then dumped about 150USD on a new graphics card and PSU six months ago.  Still runs great.

I learned all I needed to about PC's from a couple of post on tom's hardware and tweakguides.  PC's are extremely simple to maintain and operate. 

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Thats funny. My acceptable standard is 800X600 at 30 FPS. I guess it is subjective and changes from person to person. As far as upgrading every 2 years? WRONG! You can scale down any game to work on any 3D accelerator card within reason to the point where you do not have to upgrade over the span of ageneration. If you purchase a rig that outperforms consoles in 2006, you can scale down any and all games to that level where the average still look better, and perform well on that same rig over the span of a generation. I repeat, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UPGRADE.

Riiiiiight, but you didn't "have to upgrade". You made the chioce to upgrade of your own volition.

No, I (capital I here) had to upgrade since I didn't know about that software or consider it an option. I personally had no choice but to upgrade to do what I wanted. And don't tell me that my ignorance of the software's existence doesn't make it less of a viable option because that is exactly what it does.