A billion dollar market only one console is a part of.

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Jrfanfreak88
Member since 2008 • 1792 Posts

Over the course of this system War, the debate about Blu Ray has raged on from all sides. While its impact on games might be evident by more PS3 exclusives being nominated for Best Graphics awards than other console exclusives, one thing is certain, the Blu-Ray movie industry is now a billion dollar market that only one console is apart of.

In 2009 consumers spent $1,500,000,000.00ish on Blu Ray products. Software sales are up 70%, rental sales are up 48%. In contrast, digital distribution was up only 32%; and, because DVD's continue to do so poorly total annual spending on DVD's and Blu-Rays combined was down 13%. Roughly $500,000,000.00 was spent on blu-ray titles in the fourth quarter alone, which accounted for 13.4% of all sell-through sales. Also, 17 million households now have a blu-ray player which is up 76% over 2008.

As blu-ray continues to take away market share from DVD, the PS3 will continue to look like the best choice for someone wanting a game console that is capable of playing the best movies on the market. As a owner of over 70 blu ray titles, I am not surprised to see the PS3's popularity grow month by month. These figures tell us a couple of things. Most importantly, Blu-ray will be staying around for awhile so don't be surprised if the next generation of consoles have blu-ray drives. Secondly, it proves to us that people are willing to pay more for a higher quality product, even when the economy is horrible. Lastly, as stated above, the PS3 is the only console that is apart of a billion dollar plus market and that may be the deciding factor of who comes out on top in 2010.

Source

What do you think?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
PC is also part of that billion dollar market.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#3 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
I'm actually surprised Microsoft hasn't released an Blu-ray player add-on yet like they did with HD-DVD.
Longcat2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Longcat2
Member since 2008 • 924 Posts

And....?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
i dont know about Digital Distribution, cuz im not interested in it, but I do see some stronger support for Blu-Ray nowadays. First of all, their price dropped, and the older ones are as cheap as DVDs, while the old DVDs are extremely low in price nowadays as if they are trying to clear the leftover stocks to make room for more Blu-Rays.
bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

It means I use my PS3 as a blu-ray player instead of a gaming machine...

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

PC is also part of that billion dollar market.ferret-gamer

That seems a bit irrelevant to the topic. The title of the thread, after all, is definitely "A billion dollar market only one CONSOLE is a part of."

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#8 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

bad_fur_day
Nails it.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
As far as the movie industry is concerned, I think the PS3 is pretty irrelevant anymore. Nobody is buying a PS3 just for the Blu-Ray capabilities; there are much cheaper stand-alone units on the market now.
Cait__Sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cait__Sith
Member since 2009 • 2326 Posts
As far as the movie industry is concerned, I think the PS3 is pretty irrelevant anymore. Nobody is buying a PS3 just for the Blu-Ray capabilities; there are much cheaper stand-alone units on the market now.jalexbrown
Unless you want a 3D BD player.
Juken7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juken7
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

Putting Blu-ray into the PS3 is definitely starting to pay off for Sony.

Doesn't matter to me though. The only Blu-ray I have so far is the Ricky Bobby that came with my PS3 :P

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]As far as the movie industry is concerned, I think the PS3 is pretty irrelevant anymore. Nobody is buying a PS3 just for the Blu-Ray capabilities; there are much cheaper stand-alone units on the market now.Cait__Sith
Unless you want a 3D BD player.

Fair enough. :P
Cait__Sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cait__Sith
Member since 2009 • 2326 Posts
[QUOTE="Juken7"]

Doesn't matter to me though. The only Blu-ray I have so far is the Ricky Bobby that came with my PS3 :P

*shivers* I got that also with my 60GB....:(
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
And this is in SW because....? It's not as if the PS3's the only machine that plays BRs. I can get standalone players for about $100 and I can get Sony one's for around $150
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]PC is also part of that billion dollar market.Assassin_87

That seems a bit irrelevant to the topic. The title of the thread, after all, is definitely "A billion dollar market only one CONSOLE is a part of."

Not here to argue semantics, the PC is as much a platform as the PS3 and no doubt contributes to the sales figures as much as the PS3.
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jrfanfreak88
[QUOTE="93soccer"]And this is in SW because....? It's not as if the PS3's the only machine that plays BRs. I can get standalone players for about $100 and I can get Sony one's for around $150

Although that's a valid point, if someone is looking for a console that also happens to play blu ray movies, and is currently the only 3-D upgradeable blu ray player on the market, then the logical choice is the PS3. On top of that, we have to remember that Blu Ray was said to be the reason the PS3 struggled so much at launch. How many people said Sony was insane to put bluray in the PS3 and up the price? Now blu-ray has more market share than ever and it could be part of the reason the black box is selling better than it used to. Blu-ray might also be what puts the Playstation name on top again this year. I just think posting some year-end numbers makes for some interesting conversation is all.
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jrfanfreak88
Although that's very true, many PC's don't come with blu-ray disc drives. I will say though that I will not buy another apple macbook product if it does not have a blu-ray disc drive. Paying that much for a computer with an ancient dvd drive is unacceptable.
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jrfanfreak88

Juken7
Haha you need to expand your collection some! Star Trek on Blu Ray is beautiful.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]PC is also part of that billion dollar market.Assassin_87

Also, not all PC's use BluRay or have the drives installed in them. PS3's all have a BluRay drive. But this will of course change and PC's will get BluRay more and more as time passes.
Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
I think people who use their PCs to view blu-ray films are a severe minority among an emerging group of mainstream adopters into blu-ray and HDTV entertainment.
roddollente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 roddollente
Member since 2008 • 1543 Posts

I'm actually surprised Microsoft hasn't released an Blu-ray player add-on yet like they did with HD-DVD.Stevo_the_gamer

i could imagine those blockheads pissed off for purchasing an overpriced add-on for nothing. LMAO.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
I'm actually surprised Microsoft hasn't released an Blu-ray player add-on yet like they did with HD-DVD.Stevo_the_gamer
Eh. It would make them look bad if they did. They look bad enough with that wifi adapter as it is.
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#24 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Yet, that one console manufacturer sacrificed their dominance in the gaming industry to capture that movie market. So what is this, a demonstration of self-ownage?

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

I think people who use their PCs to view blu-ray films are a severe minority among an emerging group of mainstream adopters into blu-ray and HDTV entertainment.Brainhunter

You would be surprised, I've seen several laptops advertised on TV with Blu-ray disk drives.

That and my PC has a Blu-ray disk drive.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20148 Posts

bad_fur_day
Unless all the games that come on discs are blurays...
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Considering that the WiFi adapter is 100 bucks, blu-ray add-on would cost as much as a regular priced standalone player itself.

wulfshelmut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wulfshelmut
Member since 2009 • 77 Posts

I dont see it that way. I dont see BluRay doing that well. I know because some article written by someone who doesnt live the way 90% of the world lives from a site where the peopel who run said site dont live the way 90% of the world population lives it must be true. No I dont buy it either. Its all misconstrewed truths (lies) made up by people who dont kno how things really are. We are still in a depression people, people dont have money for HDTVs and BR movies and players. Most people I know still use DVDs or illegaly download movies. I dont see alot of HDTVs and BR players in the houses of people I know. I was just in walmart a year ago, they were still selling SDTVs and people were buying them up left and right even though they had HDTVs onsale. Everyone who knows anything knows BluRay is the 21st centuries equivalent of laserdisc. Laserdisc existed side by side with VHS even though it was a superior format, it just never caught on. Thats what will happen with bluray, that is whats happening.

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jrfanfreak88

I dont see it that way. I dont see BluRay doing that well. I know because some article written by someone who doesnt live the way 90% of the world lives from a site where the peopel who run said site dont live the way 90% of the world population lives it must be true. No I dont buy it either. Its all misconstrewed truths (lies) made up by people who dont kno how things really are. We are still in a depression people, people dont have money for HDTVs and BR movies and players. Most people I know still use DVDs or illegaly download movies. I dont see alot of HDTVs and BR players in the houses of people I know. I was just in walmart a year ago, they were still selling SDTVs and people were buying them up left and right even though they had HDTVs onsale. Everyone who knows anything knows BluRay is the 21st centuries equivalent of laserdisc. Laserdisc existed side by side with VHS even though it was a superior format, it just never caught on. Thats what will happen with bluray, that is whats happening.

wulfshelmut
Right. And you have proof like sales figures and such to back up your opinion right?
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts
uhh blu ray came out in 2006, xbox 2005, I don't hink MS had a choice. Wiiis aimmed at casuals and blu ray raises price. Nintendo wanted to keep prices down. don't worry next gen all three will have blu ray cause it'll be cheaper.
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jrfanfreak88
uhh blu ray came out in 2006, xbox 2005, I don't hink MS had a choice. Wiiis aimmed at casuals and blu ray raises price. Nintendo wanted to keep prices down. don't worry next gen all three will have blu ray cause it'll be cheaper. mayceV
The xbox 360 supported hd-dvd, which was released in March of 2006, clearly they had a choice and technically still have a choice.
HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

[QUOTE="mayceV"]uhh blu ray came out in 2006, xbox 2005, I don't hink MS had a choice. Wiiis aimmed at casuals and blu ray raises price. Nintendo wanted to keep prices down. don't worry next gen all three will have blu ray cause it'll be cheaper. Jrfanfreak88
The xbox 360 supported hd-dvd, which was released in March of 2006, clearly they had a choice and technically still have a choice.

Nope, HDDVD wasn't really full-fledge until 2006. It's only natural for competitors of something like Blu-Ray to join sides with the competition, HDDVD and Toshiba.

And I doubt suddenly changing all consoles to an internal HDDVD drive would have been smart: 1. They already sold DVD Xbox's 2. Who knows how much extra it would cost to produce something on a dead format.

Their choice now is digital distribution, if you haven't noticed.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

uhh blu ray came out in 2006, xbox 2005, I don't hink MS had a choice. Wiiis aimmed at casuals and blu ray raises price. Nintendo wanted to keep prices down. don't worry next gen all three will have blu ray cause it'll be cheaper. mayceV

And Blu-Ray technology has been around since 1998, HDDVD used the same thing, but a different size of laser, same color.

Blu-Ray in disc form was 2003. HDDVD was about 2006, in Toshiba's efforts to do something more viable. In that I mean they had HDDVD players and prices down to DVD 2 years before Blu-Ray came close.

And after speculation, apparently movie companies were paid off to use Blu-Ray, but I can't give full proof on that, so don't buy into it directly.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

When I read that title I was expecting a thread about the Wii and the fitness industry.

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jrfanfreak88

[QUOTE="mayceV"]uhh blu ray came out in 2006, xbox 2005, I don't hink MS had a choice. Wiiis aimmed at casuals and blu ray raises price. Nintendo wanted to keep prices down. don't worry next gen all three will have blu ray cause it'll be cheaper. HavocV3

And Blu-Ray technology has been around since 1998, HDDVD used the same thing, but a different size of laser, same color.

Blu-Ray in disc form was 2003. HDDVD was about 2006, in Toshiba's efforts to do something more viable. In that I mean they had HDDVD players and prices down to DVD 2 years before Blu-Ray came close.

And after speculation, apparently movie companies were paid off to use Blu-Ray, but I can't give full proof on that, so don't buy into it directly.

Don't forget HD-DVD paid Paramount $150,000,000.00 to go hd-dvd exclusive, and that can be found all over the internet.
reiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 reiv
Member since 2008 • 1038 Posts

wulfshelmut
I'm not so sure. When I was in Best Buy a few weeks back, the BD section was as large as the DVD section. Times are changing.
KukicAdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 359

#38 KukicAdo
Member since 2008 • 973 Posts
Blu-Ray has prevailed...it's the perfect technology while we await for Digital Distribution to mature (the main thing holding it back now is our communications companies spend all their money lobbying and no money upgrading so bandwidth is still rather limited), but once 20MB or even 10MBPS connections are standard, DD will be a much more popular and convenient distribution channel.
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jrfanfreak88

[QUOTE="Jrfanfreak88"][QUOTE="mayceV"]uhh blu ray came out in 2006, xbox 2005, I don't hink MS had a choice. Wiiis aimmed at casuals and blu ray raises price. Nintendo wanted to keep prices down. don't worry next gen all three will have blu ray cause it'll be cheaper. HavocV3

Nope, HDDVD wasn't really full-fledge until 2006. It's only natural for competitors of something like Blu-Ray to join sides with the competition, HDDVD and Toshiba.

And I doubt suddenly changing all consoles to an internal HDDVD drive would have been smart: 1. They already sold DVD Xbox's 2. Who knows how much extra it would cost to produce something on a dead format.

Their choice now is digital distribution, if you haven't noticed.

Blu Ray wasn't full-fledge until 2006 either. Microsoft may have chosen digital distribution, but it's clear that if they made a blu-ray add on it would make the 360 look very dated and expensive for the lack of features it has compared to the PS3. Also, I never said anything about Microsoft putting internal drives in their consoles. I was just saying they had a choice to support one format or the other and they chose incorrectly and continue to choose to not be a part of this billion dollar plus market.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="bad_fur_day"]

Dead-Memories

Nails it.

Because no one used their PS2 for games.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]PC is also part of that billion dollar market.Jrfanfreak88
Although that's very true, many PC's don't come with blu-ray disc drives. I will say though that I will not buy another apple macbook product if it does not have a blu-ray disc drive. Paying that much for a computer with an ancient dvd drive is unacceptable.

well there's no real need for blu-ray seeing as all games are still released on dvd. And you can still enjoy blu-ray quality video and movies without a blu-ray drive ;)
themerlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 themerlin
Member since 2006 • 481 Posts

I buy consoles to play games i don`t really care if it plays movies or not.

Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts
I think there are some 6.5 billion people in the world and 304 million in the US alone. There are a measly 17 million households with a Blu-Ray player. Even if you account for PS3's your still not even scratching the surface of the number of people in the world.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts
/thread
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
who really cares? bluray players are almost $100 bucks now. at this point unless you want to play games most ppl won't be getting a ps3 just for bluray anymore. it's a slight benefit but not what it was.
KukicAdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 359

#46 KukicAdo
Member since 2008 • 973 Posts
I think there are some 6.5 billion people in the world and 304 million in the US alone. There are a measly 17 million households with a Blu-Ray player. Even if you account for PS3's your still not even scratching the surface of the number of people in the world. Firelore29
You didn't just seriously go there did you? :S 6.5 Billion people on this planet. Over HALF of them are living in poverty, where they're worried where their next meal will come from, not the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD. System Wars never ceased to amaze me.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#47 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
Blu-ray has certainly paid off for Sony.
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

I thought it was going to be "casual gamers".

92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
Give it time, they will. Although considering Blue Ray is a Sony format they may not want to eat the crow involved to get Sony to let them use it
neildneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 neildneil
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts

When I read that title I was expecting a thread about the Wii and the fitness industry.

DaBrainz

same here