Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yesterday I was playing Metro Last Light redux and it really hurt my brain to see its terrible field of view. It was set around 50 or 55 and there was no option to increase it in options. So I went in config files and manually increased it so I can enjoy the gameplay instead of feeling annoyed. But as soon as I increased FOV, the game started showing bugs especially in cutscenes.

The game was designed with televisions in mind instead of monitors and they clearly did not take higher field of view value into account. So when I increased it, I started seeing through my character because his entire body was not rendered, and glitches started appearing on screen here and there.

I really hope they will give us FOV slider in Metro Exodus instead of finding an easier way out. I also want PC specific user interface instead of giant ugly text that covers half of the screen.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

Well, I think they are going for that claustrophobic feeling on purpose. It's mostly a horror game, after all. I never had an issue with the FOV, to be honest; didn't even notice it the last time I played it, and I always increase FOV if given the option.

I'll have to test it with my ultrawide and see how well it works.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: Is it an horror game? Didn’t get scared once.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7711 Posts

sub 80 fov is just awful no doubt about that

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24949 Posts

4A games are still best developers at the moment. but yeah Metro Exodus need to have FOV slider.

eitherway Metro Exodus will be GOTY this year easily.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

460 FOV or bust.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Hmmmm. Seems fine to me. The low FOV stresses the claustrophobia and tunnel vision. I usually want a higher FOV if I expect bad guys from all sides (outdoors) like in STALKER. Even the outdoors in the Metro games act like corridors.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 10466 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

4A games are still best developers at the moment.

their last release of note was almost 5 years ago. beyond that all they've put out was an unheralded vr shooter last year that barely made a ripple

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

metro was like crysis, the 2033 version was a tech demo that looking amazing. introduced dx11 features and 1080p gaming with tesselation / them shadows. had high amounts of physx in it.

Last light was much like crysis 2 more of the same and console centric which basically killed everything it had going on for it on PC the remake of the first one even stripped everything out of there. which made it a generic shooter.

Next one seems to follow the same line of thinking which will kill them much like how crysis ended up doa.

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

@Gatygun said:

metro was like crysis, the 2033 version was a tech demo that looking amazing. introduced dx11 features and 1080p gaming with tesselation / them shadows. had high amounts of physx in it.

Last light was much like crysis 2 more of the same and console centric which basically killed everything it had going on for it on PC the remake of the first one even stripped everything out of there. which made it a generic shooter.

Next one seems to follow the same line of thinking which will kill them much like how crysis ended up doa.

Not correct.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever

@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:

their last release of note was almost 5 years ago. beyond that all they've put out was an unheralded vr shooter last year that barely made a ripple

yeah. good games need longer development cycle and not rehashes every 2 year later.

4A made 2 of amazing SP story driven shooters. and third one to end the trilogy is thier biggest project.

they deliver what giant AAA developers couldnot. instead they tack on SP/MP and with microstansactions etc.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Macutchi  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:

yeah. good games need longer development cycle and not rehashes every 2 year later.

4A made 2 of amazing SP story driven shooters. and third one to end the trilogy is thier biggest project.

they deliver what giant AAA developers couldnot. instead they tack on SP/MP and with microstansactions etc.

ignoring the vr one that's only two games in eight years and two very similar, linear, heavily scripted games at that.

despite that you're happy to label them as the best developers at the moment... regardless of how much you enjoyed the metro games that accolade seems a bit of a stretch

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghosts4ever

@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:

ignoring the vr one that's only two games in eight years and two very similar, linear, heavily scripted games at that.

despite that you're happy to label them as the best developers at the moment... regardless of how much you enjoyed the metro games that accolade seems a bit of a stretch

lol, obviously 2 are similar. they are sequel and last light improve heavily on game mechanics.

are not uncharted 2 and 3 are similar. both metro games offer some of the best story and atmosphere in video games bar none.

many people praise CDPR as best game developers when they only made 3 games.

1 is trash (witcher 1), other is ok (TW2) and thier latest game is mediocre and one of the most overrated game of all time (TW3).

4A games have much better talent than most developers today. Cant wait for Metro Exodus.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:

lol, obviously 2 are similar. they are sequel and last light improve heavily on game mechanics.

are not uncharted 2 and 3 are similar. both metro games offer some of the best story and atmosphere in video games bar none.

1 is trash (witcher 1), other is ok (TW2) and thier latest game is mediocre and one of the most overrated game of all time (TW3).

4A games have much better talent than most developers today. Cant wait for Metro Exodus.

And they created GOG (good ol games) which is doing quite well. They also started by translating wester games like Baulders Gate into Polish which I'm sure they have fans there that are thankful for that. They are a publicly traded company and worth $2.3 billion. I think their praise is very well deserved, few developers can release 3 games and obtain that level of credit and financial value.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Macutchi  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:

i'd agree the metro games have got an interesting story and the atmosphere is at times very good, although i found it a bit repetitive. giving everyone an eastern-bloc accent and having the game take part mostly in dim lit tunnels does not automatically equal good atmosphere. there is a danger of over use.

i don't really see many people labelling cdpr as the best developer of the moment, more just a developer that does things - free dlc, extra physical content with the game for free etc - the right way.

for me there's a statute of limitations on what constitutes the "best developer of the moment." the moment part suggests current. if they haven't released anything within almost five years, plus only have two competent games to their name, that should disqualify them from being in contention. but you seem to have some unwavering and slightly irrational infatuation with the metro games so whatever floats your boat i guess

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Macutchi  Online

@pimphand_gamer said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:

And they created GOG (good ol games) which is doing quite well. They also started by translating wester games like Baulders Gate into Polish which I'm sure they have fans there that are thankful for that. They are a publicly traded company and worth $2.3 billion. I think their praise is very well deserved, few developers can release 3 games and obtain that level of credit and financial value.

if you think those additional things make them the best developer of the moment, fair play to you i guess. i'm more interested in what games of note they've released recently. maybe exodus will be a worldy. i hope it is tbh

edit: sorry, misread your post, thought you were talking about 4k. i thought something sounded off about 4k owning gog lol

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I had zero issues with both Metro games on Pc, both are amazing and up there with Half Life for me personally. I'm not sure about the console versions but it's worth building a new pc for these games.

I generally have massive issues with FOV below 90, but for this I didn't even notice.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@DragonfireXZ95: Is it an horror game? Didn’t get scared once.

It's not survival horror, but it's definitely a horror shooter. Kind of like Doom, except more atmospheric.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@sailor232 said:

I had zero issues with both Metro games on Pc, both are amazing and up there with Half Life for me personally. I'm not sure about the console versions but it's worth building a new pc for these games.

I generally have massive issues with FOV below 90, but for this I didn't even notice.

I had just one issue and it was in Metro: Last Light. It seemed alive except it didn't want to rip apart my character. Its head just turned and looked my way. ;)

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

I never touch FOV sliders in games. It adds a horrible fisheye effect to most games.

In Rainbow 6, increasing you FOV increases what you can see by like 25%, but I just can't play the game like this:

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jun_aka_pekto
@UssjTrunks said:

I never touch FOV sliders in games. It adds a horrible fisheye effect to most games.

In Rainbow 6, increasing you FOV increases what you can see by like 25%, but I just can't play the game like this:

That's why you increase FOV in small increments.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@Macutchi said:
@pimphand_gamer said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:

if you think those additional things make them the best developer of the moment, fair play to you i guess. i'm more interested in what games of note they've released recently. maybe exodus will be a worldy. i hope it is tbh

edit: sorry, misread your post, thought you were talking about 4k. i thought something sounded off about 4k owning gog lol

So you think they don't deserve their credit? Hell I didn't even like any of the Witcher games but I certainly would never take any praise away from them. They deserve to be credited as among the top tier developers not because of their Witcher games, but because of what they have brought to the gaming industry and developing honest games that are well polished. Even Bethesda's games aren't usually very polished and full of bugs.

How many developers out there have a stance against DRM and then go so far as to create an entire storefront full of DRM free games? Not to mention take old games that are fantastic to this day and make them playable on modern OS and hardware.....oh, but your going to dock them because you don't like their very well polished, micro-transaction free Witcher games.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Macutchi  Online

@pimphand_gamer said:
@Macutchi said:
@pimphand_gamer said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:

So you think they don't deserve their credit? Hell I didn't even like any of the Witcher games but I certainly would never take any praise away from them. They deserve to be credited as among the top tier developers not because of their Witcher games, but because of what they have brought to the gaming industry and developing honest games that are well polished. Even Bethesda's games aren't usually very polished and full of bugs.

How many developers out there have a stance against DRM and then go so far as to create an entire storefront full of DRM free games? Not to mention take old games that are fantastic to this day and make them playable on modern OS and hardware.....oh, but your going to dock them because you don't like their very well polished, micro-transaction free Witcher games.

check my edit, i misread your post, i thought you were referring to 4a games. although looking back i put 4k instead of 4a lol so i can understand why it was confusing.

my point to ghosts was i don't think 4a can be considered best devs at the moment because of two games in eight years, the last one five years ago. i thought you were agreeing with him