3DS Technical specs leak!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Link

For the lazy, here's some of the info :P , "According to IGN's anonymous source, 3DS is powered by twin ARM11 CPUs clocked at a relatively meagre 266MHz, while overall system storage (sans SD card) is 1.5GB. Onboard RAM is 64MB, with 4MB of video memory. DMP's PICA-200 graphics chip is said to be running at a relatively lightweight 133MHz."

KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 KevinButlerVP
Member since 2010 • 2378 Posts
I think these sepcs were leaked a while ago, and people were disappointed
davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

I think these sepcs were leaked a while ago, and people were disappointedKevinButlerVP

"One very fast central processor would be preferable. I don't think all programmers have the ability to program two CPUs—most can only get about one-and-a-half times the speed you can get from one SH-2. I think that only 1 in 100 programmers are good enough to get this kind of speed [nearly double] out of the Saturn."

Yu Suzuki and countless complained about the Sega Saturn's two cpu design.

It baffles me why nintendo would do this. And the GPU is kind of weak.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fend_oblivion

I think these sepcs were leaked a while ago, and people were disappointedKevinButlerVP

Oh... I never saw a thread on this.

Anyways, never mind :)

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Yeah They were pissed because they didn't get their 1080p graphics (over exaggeration ALERT), which is insane!

davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]I think these sepcs were leaked a while ago, and people were disappointedfend_oblivion

Then why did you make a thread on this.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fend_oblivion

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]I think these sepcs were leaked a while ago, and people were disappointeddavidkamayor

Then why did you make a thread on this.

Because I didn't see a thread on this...

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]I think these sepcs were leaked a while ago, and people were disappointedfend_oblivion

How about this 152 page thread that was stickied not long ago.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
this and gibberish are the same to me. all i know is that games look good.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fend_oblivion

I don't frequent SW like I used to so please, forgive me. I didn't know.

I'll contact the mods to delete this thread.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Should've stuck with Tegra 2, but the graphics will still be amazing in 3D.

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]I think these sepcs were leaked a while ago, and people were disappointedDahaka-UK

How about this 152 page thread that was stickied not long ago.

10 posts per page?

Anyway, I, too am disappointed. But whatever, the results are still pretty decent.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]this and gibberish are the same to me. all i know is that games look good.

That's what I always thought.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
For some reason people were expecting a portable Xbox 360 but it looks fine to me. Just look at the 3DS games. MGS and Resident Evil prove the point.
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dahaka-UK
For some reason people were expecting a portable Xbox 360 but it looks fine to me. Just look at the 3DS games. MGS and Resident Evil prove the point. TheColbert
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous some peoples expectations for a handheld console. 3DS graphics look amazing huge step up from the DS.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]I think these sepcs were leaked a while ago, and people were disappointeddavidkamayor

"One very fast central processor would be preferable. I don't think all programmers have the ability to program two CPUs—most can only get about one-and-a-half times the speed you can get from one SH-2. I think that only 1 in 100 programmers are good enough to get this kind of speed [nearly double] out of the Saturn."

dude that was like ... 15 years ago.. 3D games were new so people could barely program for one 3D cpu at that time, which isnt the case, AT ALL now.... As the games clearly show.. the 2 CPU design is not an issue :I ....And the 2 CPUs is NOT why the Saturn was so godly difficult to program for, yeah for the time it was a contributing factor but sega did like everything you can possibly do wrong, wrong when designing hardware back then. Geometry was based on cubes not triangles, the parts didnt "work" together, they were all thrown in a melting pot hoping putting more crap in it last minute would make it more powerful.

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

Pretty dissapointing considering it is weaker than most modern cellphones.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

"One very fast central processor would be preferable. I don't think all programmers have the ability to program two CPUs-most can only get about one-and-a-half times the speed you can get from one SH-2. I think that only 1 in 100 programmers are good enough to get this kind of speed [nearly double] out of the Saturn."

Putting multiple cores was a smart choice, we have much better tools for multicore programming now. However the GPU was a terrible decision, the Nvidia Tegra will fly circles around the PICA 200.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

Samurai_Xavier
How many of those cellphones run console quality games and in 3D as their main feature? Well they wouldn't really be phones at that rate.
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts
Of course the Sony fanboy would say it's disappointing, even though hype for the 3DS is clearly through the roof.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 windsquid9000
[QUOTE="Samurai_Xavier"]

tomarlyn
How many of those cellphones run console quality games and in 3D as their main feature? Well they wouldn't really be phones at that rate.

[By console quality, I assume you mean last gen consoles] The iPhone pwns the 3DS graphically and I'll take the retina display over 3D any day.
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="Samurai_Xavier"]

windsquid9000

[By console quality, I assume you mean last gen consoles] The iPhone pwns the 3DS graphically and I'll take the retina display over 3D any day.

Um the 3DS has buttons and a touch screen that actually works with a stylus. I'll take that + 3D + all the best games over gaming on my iPhone any day. Also I could never play a hardcore game on my iPhone... the bumper broke and now if I throw it out of frustration it'll break since it has no case :P.
runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts
Nintendo is such a joke. It's quite obvious that 3DS is on par with PSP at best, and the PSP launched back in 2004 for $185 in Japan. Yet 7 years later the 3DS with similar spec will launch at $300. What an utter shameless rip-off! Nintendo's hubris knows no bound.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="windsquid9000"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="Samurai_Xavier"]

Only If by last gen consoles you mean much better than the PS2, RE Revelations looks better than most Wii games too. But how much of the iPhone's specs are dedicated to gaming? And how long does the battery last during one of these 'better than 3DS graphics' games (I've never seen one)?.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 windsquid9000

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] How many of those cellphones run console quality games and in 3D as their main feature? Well they wouldn't really be phones at that rate.oldkingallant

Um the 3DS has buttons and a touch screen that actually works with a stylus. I'll take that + 3D + all the best games over gaming on my iPhone any day. Also I could never play a hardcore game on my iPhone... the bumper broke and now if I throw it out of frustration it'll break since it has no case :P.

Fair enough. Enjoy your 3D jaggies/blurry textures, unreliable buttons, and fingerprint-free single touch screen :P

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Nintendo is such a joke. It's quite obvious that 3DS is on par with PSP at best, and the PSP launched back in 2004 for $185 in Japan. Yet 7 years later the 3DS with similar spec will launch at $300. What an utter shameless rip-off! Nintendo's hubris knows no bound.runbleduck

It isnt at all. Its clearly more powerful than the psp.. MGS3 looks alot better than peace walker, and that came out 6 years after the psp and the 3DS isnt even out yet. I think everyone is forgetting how much psp graphics improved over time. Compare launch PSP games with launch 3DS games.. Not even a competition

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dahaka-UK

windsquid9000

The only game for iphone I've seen that truely might exceed 3DS graphics is that tech demo. No clue what it's called but thats about it.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Nintendo is such a joke. It's quite obvious that 3DS is on par with PSP at best, and the PSP launched back in 2004 for $185 in Japan. Yet 7 years later the 3DS with similar spec will launch at $300. What an utter shameless rip-off! Nintendo's hubris knows no bound.runbleduck
Not sure if serious...again.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="oldkingallant"][QUOTE="windsquid9000"] [By console quality, I assume you mean last gen consoles] The iPhone pwns the 3DS graphically and I'll take the retina display over 3D any day.windsquid9000

Fair enough. Enjoy your 3D jaggies/blurry textures, unreliable buttons, and fingerprint-free single touch screen :P

but if the iPhone is just one big screen, wouldn't that make it a single touch screen either? :P
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 windsquid9000

Only If by last gen consoles you mean much better than the PS2, RE Revelations looks better than most Wii games too.But how much of the iPhone's specs are dedicated to gaming?And how long does the battery last during one of these 'better than 3DS graphics' games (I've never seen one)?.tomarlyn

Last gen quality everything except good shaders and normal mapping.

Does it matter? It's still A LOT more powerful than the 3DS

*coughthreehourscough*

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I would take a ban bet with anyone who is crazy enough to think the 3DS will cost $300. You're crazy if you think they are gonna do a 1 - 100 dolllar to yen conversion. Not a chance in hell.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tomarlyn

I have a PSP, I reallylike my PSP

There is nothing close to this running on it:

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

"One very fast central processor would be preferable. I don't think all programmers have the ability to program two CPUs-most can only get about one-and-a-half times the speed you can get from one SH-2. I think that only 1 in 100 programmers are good enough to get this kind of speed [nearly double] out of the Saturn."

wait wait wait...your pulling up programming talk and discussion from the Sega Saturn generation when there were no dual cpu consumer pcs? Programming talk from the Saturn generation does not apply to this generation in anyway shape or form...PC's today dual even Quad core is standard, ps3 has multiple process capable units on it, there are handheld items like phones and such with dual cpus.... So programming has caught up easily with what was being talked about... Multiple cpu programming is pretty much a requirement in this day and age.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]Only If by last gen consoles you mean much better than the PS2, RE Revelations looks better than most Wii games too.But how much of the iPhone's specs are dedicated to gaming?And how long does the battery last during one of these 'better than 3DS graphics' games (I've never seen one)?.windsquid9000

Last gen quality everything except good shaders and normal mapping.

Does it matter? It's still A LOT more powerful than the 3DS

*coughthreehourscough*

RE Revelations doesn't have good shaders or mapping bwhaaa ? Yes it matters, this about gaming not being a phone at the same time, so iPhone's true gaming specs are gimped by comparison in that case only 3? :P
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 windsquid9000

[QUOTE="runbleduck"]Nintendo is such a joke. It's quite obvious that 3DS is on par with PSP at best, and the PSP launched back in 2004 for $185 in Japan. Yet 7 years later the 3DS with similar spec will launch at $300. What an utter shameless rip-off! Nintendo's hubris knows no bound.tomarlyn

The 3rd Birth Day

God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Not too shabby :P

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 windsquid9000

RE Revelations doesn't have good shaders or mapping bwhaaa ?

No, I'm saying it has good shaders and normal mapping. Everything else is last gen.

Yes it matters, this about gaming not being a phone at the same time, so iPhone's true gaming specs are gimped by comparison in that case

Yet it still outperforms the 3DS.

only 3? :P

So thin...

tomarlyn

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

[QUOTE="runbleduck"]Nintendo is such a joke. It's quite obvious that 3DS is on par with PSP at best, and the PSP launched back in 2004 for $185 in Japan. Yet 7 years later the 3DS with similar spec will launch at $300. What an utter shameless rip-off! Nintendo's hubris knows no bound.windsquid9000

The 3rd Birth Day

Not even close lol. For PSP hardware those are very pretty games but they actually don't compare to RE:R

NotTarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NotTarts
Member since 2010 • 342 Posts

windsquid9000

Jaggies are completely negated by the 3D effect (they're automatically smoothed out when your vision system combines the two images). And yeah, whilst the iPhone is more powerful than the 3DS, the iPhone is also $800, has acrap battery life, and the games still look terrible thanks to the bottleneck of all the 2nd gen iPod Touch's and iPhone 3G's out there. Let's not forget howterribly genres such as FPSs have worked so far.

Also, to everyone out there, you can't compare 3DS launch games to PSP games near the end of its life.

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
My smartphone has better hardware.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

[QUOTE="runbleduck"]Nintendo is such a joke. It's quite obvious that 3DS is on par with PSP at best, and the PSP launched back in 2004 for $185 in Japan. Yet 7 years later the 3DS with similar spec will launch at $300. What an utter shameless rip-off! Nintendo's hubris knows no bound.windsquid9000

The 3rd Birth Day

I'm getting the 3rd birthday, but the actual gameplay footage in their is barely PS2 quality, awful textures

GOW: GoS, does look a beast but its not 3D

Peace Walker is vastly inferior to MGS3DS on all fronts

Hazza

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]RE Revelations doesn't have good shaders or mapping bwhaaa ?

No, I'm saying it has good shaders and normal mapping. Everything else is last gen.

Yes it matters, this about gaming not being a phone at the same time, so iPhone's true gaming specs are gimped by comparison in that case

Yet it still outperforms the 3DS.

only 3? :P

So thin...

Can I pweeez see one of these 3DS killing iPhone apps.... err games? :)
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tomarlyn
Although saying that I'll be back tomorrow for more fun and frolics, sorry, its 6am in sweden. Yes I've been up that long :(
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 windsquid9000

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

tomarlyn

The 3rd Birth Day

I'm getting the 3rd birthday, but the actual gameplay footage in there is barely PS2 quality, awful textures

Hazza

1. While still not as good as MGS3, Snakes character model in Peace Walker looks notably better than that

2. PSP 2000/Go's screen is gorgeous. I can live with it not being 3D.

3. Even though they're not as good, they still hold up surprisingly well

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dahaka-UK

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]The 3rd Birth Day

windsquid9000

I'm getting the 3rd birthday, but the actual gameplay footage in there is barely PS2 quality, awful textures

Hazza

1. While still not as good as MGS3, Snakes character model in Peace Walker looks notably better than that

I really can't see how you can say that. It looks more or less on par. The hardware specs speak for themselves anyway, clearly better than the PSPs hardware. The games are only going to look much better eventually. RE 3D destroys anything on the PSP hands down.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Direct from GS' own screenshots. Looks like a lower-res version of MGS3's snake on PS3.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#47 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

um psp really you just said psp looks better you must be joking ,,

because psp doesnt even display 3d and lets talk battery life and games line up

psp hardly has any worth while games for being out 5 -6 yrs

the ds kills it

and the 3ds will be the first ever 3d glases less handheld

no less have a metal stylus that is retractable

and iphone is called an i phone for a reason ------it makes phone calls thats its main use

it will never be a ds nor will it even bea psp which is -dedicated to gaming first

it will never sell 150 million units world wide and it wont ever be tracked on a sales chart!

another thing ive seen iphone graphics looks not even on par with the nintendo gamecube !

re4 for example , ugh i was disgusted by how low res they were ,

why do you think it only cost 10 bucks a game on a iphone

haha

because iphone is not really for gamers

and they know it

the 3ds specs they leaked could be wrong

as i dont believe them until nintendo tells you that then good luck

another thing does iphone have multiplayer functiosn like mariokart

ds has or psp has

does any one even use the service!

also dont you need to be online for iphone to [play /download games

i dont think they sell those in stores do they! think before you compare the 2

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

It's quite obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.

bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#49 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]The 3rd Birth Day

windsquid9000

Hazza

2. PSP 2000/Go's screen is gorgeous. I can live with it not being 3D.

3. Even though they're not as good, they still hold up surprisingly well

Actually the 3DS version of MGS3 look way better than the PS2 version.