3DS or PSVita? which one would a guy get?

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I've always sort of wanted a handheld for a while to keep gaming on the go or when I can't be at my desk etc. and I've always sort of been torn between the two. Now that I have some holiday cash to splash I can actually afford one so I was wondering the general consensus, which one is better?(to keep it SW related)

From what I've heard the 3DS has better games but the PSVita is a better piece of tech, don't know how true this is right now in present times though.

Should be noted that I'm not big into Pokemon (last one I played was Blue) and I've never played a Zelda game (yeah yeah sue me) but that doesn't mean I cant try them out

I can however get a PSVita with tearaway and LBP with 16GB memory or a gold Zelda edition 3DS XL with Zelda A link between worlds for about the same price as each other. PSVita one being slightly cheaper

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

3DS XL

Vita has some great games, but not enough of them, and not a single original Vita game has anything to offer that rivals what the 3DS gives you. If you do decide to get a 3DS, I would advise the following games at all costs:

• Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Ace Attorney Dual Destinies
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Pokemon X/Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@charizard1605 said:

3DS XL

I had a feeling YOU wouldsay that :P

Elaborate please, if you don't mind

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

3DS by far. Even from a hardware standpoint, I have a tough time recommending the Vita while it's memory card prices are in effect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Xaero_Gravity said:

3DS by far. Even from a hardware standpoint, I have a tough time recommending the Vita while it's memory card prices are in effect.

Still can't believe how expensive those little fucking cards are

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

3DS XL

Just edited my original post, but the long and short of it is, great hardware isn't worth a whole lot if there aren't enough games to utilize it. The tragedy of Vita is that it remains almost criminally underrepresented and underutilized. Yes, the hardware is great, but it doesn't matter, there isn't much that does anything with the hardware, and most of the Vita's best games (Ys, Persona) are on other systems too.

3DS hardware might not be as great as Vita, but it's acceptable, it gets the job done, and most importantly, the 3DS has a killer games library that you simply cannot find on any other system. Except for shooters, the 3DS has every genre represented in spades. It's an amazing library that gamers of all ilk should pick p and play at least once. There's something on offer for everyone.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xaero_Gravity

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Still can't believe how expensive those little fucking cards are

Yeah it's ridiculous. Granted you can simply just delete the games you're not playing and redownload them whenever, but it doesn't excuse the sodomy Sony's pulling with it's prices.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

3DS XL

Just edited my original post, but the long and short of it is, great hardware isn't worth a whole lot if there aren't enough games to utilize it. The tragedy of Vita is that it remains almost criminally underrepresented and underutilized. Yes, the hardware is great, but it doesn't matter, there isn't much that does anything with the hardware, and most of the Vita's best games (Ys, Persona) are on other systems too.

3DS hardware might not be as great as Vita, but it's acceptable, it gets the job done, and most importantly, the 3DS has a killer games library that you simply cannot find on any other system. Except for shooters, the 3DS has every genre represented in spades. It's an amazing library that gamers of all ilk should pick p and play at least once. There's something on offer for everyone.

Well I mentioned the hardware more for stuff outside of games, like browsing, watching videos etc.

But yeah fair point. My gaming history is seriously lacking Nintendo games too, haven't played them since I was like <10 years old. Feel like I've missed a lot and I'm uninformed when it comes to Ninty games

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xaero_Gravity

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

3DS XL

Well I mentioned the hardware more for stuff outside of games, like browsing, watching videos etc.

But yeah fair point. My gaming history is seriously lacking Nintendo games too, haven't played them since I was like <10 years old. Feel like I've missed a lot and I'm uninformed when it comes to Ninty games

Then you should take into account the DS library as well. Some great handheld experiences there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

3DS XL

Technically, the 3DS has browsing and media capabilities too. There's Netflix, Youtube, Hulu et al on 3DS. I just advise against using any of it (well Netflix is actually good).

Anyway, yeah, but it's not even just about Nintendo games. There's stuff like Shin Megami Tensei IV. Or Ace Attorney. Or Fire Emblem. kid Icarus. A lot of it might be Nintendo, but this is the kind of stuff you don't get on other platforms. It's an entirely different kind of gaming, one that spreads across the entire spectrum of gaming, and that you owe it to yourself to check out. For instance, I can guarantee you would absolutely adore Fire Emblem: Awakening, just as an example.

KaijuSlayer666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KaijuSlayer666
Member since 2013 • 46 Posts

I would say PS vita. That's my plan I i have some extra money loved the psp. Im not big on Nintendo anymore. I had a Wii and the big Nintendo franchises just dont do it for me anymore. Played the ds a few times and wasn't feeling it. Haven't tried the 3ds and while the third party support seems great, its still a Nintendo console with the same feeling I've had since n64. Buy Nintendo for Nintendo games, which I dont enjoy anymore. So if you like Nintendo games I would say 3ds. If not maybe go more towards the vita.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

PS Vita aint got no AAAE, nigga

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

All I can say is look at the games and decide. Thats usally the right way to go. Personally iv used my vita much more then my 3ds but thats not to say its bad just not a ton on it I want to play at the moment. So far my mind is set on RF4 for it.Just busy with YS on my vita is all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Then you should take into account the DS library as well. Some great handheld experiences there.

Forgot about that actually, do they work straight with it or through downloads?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#15 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Sean, talk to us on Steam, we can help you out there easier.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Straight through the cartridge slot.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xaero_Gravity

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Straight with the system. At the moment, they don't sell DS games on the eShop so you'll have to track them down, but Japan did get a DS game on the eShop recently so hopefully they'll start selling them digitally. But it's Nintendo, so they probably won't. One advantage the Vita has if you're going to look into backwards compatibility, is that it has PSP games available on the PSN store.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Then that makes the decision towards a 3DS MUCH more enticing.

Maybe I'll get to play 999 and VLR to shut Blab's mouth!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

They work flat out. you can (or rather need to) pop in a DS cart and it will boot into DS mode.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Most DS games (that are not called Radiant Historia) are super cheap on Amazon or eBay, so yeah. You can play games like not only 999, but also Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, The World Ends With You, Devil Survivor, Elite Beat Agents, Meteos, Kirby Canvas Curse, and so on.

Also, DS games are NOT region locked, unlike 3DS games, so you can import and play then too.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

999 is good if you dont mind tons and tons of reading. I still need to play VLR. I got it with PS+ so ill get around to it. I just gatta be in the mood to do all the reading those games have.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Blabadon

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Holy shit, maybe you'll have higher standards then.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

If you are anything like the 2013 version of system wars poster and resolution matters to you, the 3DS will be an eye sore. The Vita screen is stunning. That being said there are some amazing games on the 3DS. Fire Emblem, Mario 3D land, Mario Kart 7, Pokemon, Zelda to name a few. I probably play the Vita more, but when I look at it the 3DS has the better games. It's tough to recommend one over the other.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Blabadon said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Will I be a pretentious douche like you then? :P

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Just look at the games both have to offer... The 3DS has a much better library of games. But the Vita also has its fair share of good games. I would say get the 3DS unless there is something you really want to play on the Vita. I went for the vita myself this past BF mainly because I had loads of games I had gotten from PS+, and the system had a few games I wanted to play as well. Also I didnt want to miss out on the OLED Vita's. One big negative with the vita is the memory cards are very expensive, I managed to get a 16GB for $20, and even is priced too high compared to SD cards.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Xaero_Gravity

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Blabadon said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

You'll just be another pretentious user subverting hype.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Blabadon said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Did you just PUSH a shameless plug in there?

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Xaero_Gravity

@charizard1605 said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Blabadon said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Did you just PUSH a shameless plug in there?

#Xaero4LoungeCreator

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Blabadon

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Blabadon said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Only if pretentious douches watch every Jacksepticeye video there is, like every one of them, constantly leave feedback, and has no idea how to properly use the word "pretentious."

Edit: Not to sound like you owe me anything for watching your videos. Apologies about that.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

3DS. Its slaying the lesser bitches.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Stop quoting me for no reason you fucks.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#32  Edited By cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I have a 3DS XL and I like it. Pokemon is probably my favorite franchise though so I'm pretty biased. It does have plenty of good games - Super Mario 3D Land and SMT4 are great from the ones I've played besides pokemon. Steer clear of New Super Mario Bros. 2 though, it's easily the worst in the series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Blabadon said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Only if pretentious douches watch every Jacksepticeye video there is, like every one of them, constantly leave feedback, and has no idea how to properly use the word "pretentious."

Edit: Not to sound like you owe me anything for watching your videos. Apologies about that.

What's your name on Yotuube actually?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blabadon

@charizard1605 said:

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Blabadon

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Blabadon said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

What's your name on Yotuube actually?

Jack may hate this game, but Sean loves it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Vita offers an experience closer to a console, there's some pretty competent shooters on it if you like that stuff and it doesn't get the respect it deserves for the amount of really awesome indie titles you can play on it. It just really lacks a big title like Mario, Zelda or Pokemon, the Uncharted or Killzone games aren't bad but don't feel as good as handheld titles.

For me though i don't look for that kind of experience anyway, give me some Mario or Zelda any day so the 3DS is the best handheld to buy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Blabadon

@darkspineslayer, PSABR some time soon?

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#39 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Quote.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Yes the PSVita is miles ahead of the 3DS tech wise... but If you wanna play games probably the 3DS. Be warned though... the 3DS game are highly overrated ( don't say i didn't warn you )

The Vita games are really meh atm.. however get the 3DS not only for the 3DS games but if you never had a DS before you can enjoy a lot of the games the Nintendo DS had. They may not be mind blowing but if you have the time and not have a big list of stand by games. Also note that the Vita Cards are extremely expensive. Then again i warn you.... they over rate the **** out of the 3DS.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

If you have PS+ as a consequence of owning PS3/PS4, get a Vita and buy a 16-32 GB card

If not, 3DS

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#42  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I own both and I prefer my Vita. Just enjoy gaming on it more. Yes 3DS has the better library, but honestly, a lot of those games just don't interest me. I have never played a Pokémon game and doubt I ever will. My 3 DS is what I call my Zelda machine. I have every Zelda I can download on it as well as OoT and soon Link between worlds.

Vita I have played Uncharted and I enjoyed it a lot, gravity rush is cool, Resistance BS was fun to play, and KZ mercenary is great. Been playing Arkham origins blackgate lately and its ok, but I am a big arkham games fan. I also have some favorites from PSP on my 8 gig memory card that I play from time to time. Just like the vita more as a device I suppose.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

3ds for the games, at this point smartphones are more powerful than the vita anyways.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Blabadon said:

Jack may hate this game, but Sean loves it.

Ahhhhhh haha

Oh and

@charizard1605 said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

I hate every last one of you

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts