360 Suffers Worst Quarter in 2 Years

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

err, NPD says differently...

xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
1. economy sucks 2. a lot of people that wanted a 360 have one now 3. im sure sonys will be bad 4. only nintendo's might look good but they could be down but not as bad so who knows. 5. its not the end of the world for ms. another possible price drop coming this year. plus lots of good games coming in the fall + ms marketing skills will help them out
VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
Pretty much ever company in the world is in the same boat.
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts

Well the game division still posted a $169 million profit and the company as a whole posted profits also. So Microsoft is doing something Sony is not able to do and post profit.

Also the amount of consoles shipped increased from 8.7 million in 08 to 11.2 million in 09 for the fiscal year.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

The Recession was bound to hit them eventually. This is interesting :

"Lack of perceived blockbuster software titles during the first six months of 2009 have led to an overall decrease in software sales year to date however this trend may reverse itself in the latter half of the year when highly anticipated titles Modern Warfare 2 and Halo:ODST are set to grace the Xbox 360."

I guess more than SW noticed the 360's 2009 so far.

simslifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 simslifer
Member since 2009 • 1844 Posts

i'm hoping microsofts gaming divisions survives.

finesse-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 finesse-gamer
Member since 2009 • 946 Posts

err, NPD says differently...

dragonfly110

NPD =/= world

also, console/game sales aren't the only variables in determining how well a quarter went.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17469 Posts

simslifer
The gaming division is STILL IN THE BLACK, meaning they are still profitable, nice fanboy spin in that article though, they still made 170million :lol:
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rybe1025

simslifer

Your kidding right? Microsoft saw $169 million profit. The 360 makes money unlike the PS3 which just bleeds money left and right.

Here is from 2 months ago-

The games division, which encompasses PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and PSP hardware and software, saw an operating loss of ¥58.5 billion ($612 million/£403 million), an improvement on last year's loss of ¥124.5 billion ($1.3 billion/£859 million), which Sony is attributing to an improvement in the PS3 business and reduced hardware manufacturing costs.link

That is right just 2 months ago the game division for Sony post $612 million loss.

DPhunkT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DPhunkT
Member since 2008 • 1803 Posts
Because we didn't have to go out any buy more Xboxs thanks to the improved quality. haha!
Chokipez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chokipez
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts
Yeah you're talking about Microsoft here. The people who are building an entire bridge over the interstate so they can get from one gigantic cluster of buildings on one side to the other "more easily". I don't think you have to worry about MS losing money.
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12397 Posts

Its still kinda weird that MS lost money due to low system sales. Does this mean that MS has reached a point where the 360 has broken even at retail and production cost ?

EDIT: System Sales not Software Sales.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

simslifer
You make it sound as if it's on the verge of collapse.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Microsoft's gaming business loses $130 million in fourth quarter on decreased system sales, but ends $169 million in the black for the 12-month stretch; 11.2 million 360s shipped for the fiscal year.

Last year, Microsoft's entertainment and devices division--the business segment containing the company's Xbox 360 and Zune product lines--posted its first-ever operating profit for a full fiscal year. The division made it two in a row today, but only after a lackluster performance for the fourth quarter, as detailed in Microsoft fiscal year-end earnings report.

In the fourth quarter (the three months ended June 30), Microsoft's entertainment and devices division saw revenues of $1.19 billion, down 25 percent year-over-year from $1.59 billion. If there's any consolation there, it's that the segment's losses shrank at the same pace. The gaming business posted operating losses of $130 million for Microsoft's fourth quarter, down from $171 million over the same stretch last year.

For the 12 months ended June 30, entertainment and devices pulled in sales of $7.75 billion, down 6 percent from the prior year's take. While the overall revenue was down marginally, the segment's operating profits took a more significant hit, down 66 percent to $169 million from the previous year's $497 million.

Microsoft blamed both the quarterly and full-year slides on "decreased revenue per Xbox 360 console due to price reductions during the past 12 months, partially offset by increased Xbox 360 console sales and increased Xbox Live revenue." While the company made less per system, it actually shipped out considerably more than in the previous year. Microsoft's fiscal 2008 saw the company move 8.7 million Xbox 360s to stores, while fiscal 2009's total jumped to 11.2 million.

The rest of the company fared similarly, as Microsoft's companywide sales and operating income also shrank. For the fourth quarter, Microsoft posted revenues of $13.01 billion (down 17 percent year-over-year) and operating income of $3.99 billion (down 30 percent). Over the course of the company's entire fiscal year, revenues were down 3 percent to $58.44 billion, while operating profits slipped 9 percent to $20.36 billion.

Microsoft's entertainment and devices division includes the Xbox 360, Zune, and Windows-based PC gaming, as well as other products, such as the Surface touch-screen table and Mediaroom Internet TV service.

Oh no MS gaming divisionmade a profit this year and is shipping about a million 360's a month! PS3 wins!

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

Has the 360 had one exclusive besides Ninja blade so far?

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

"Lack of perceived blockbuster software titles during the first six months of 2009 have led to an overall decrease in software sales year to date however this trend may reverse itself in the latter half of the year when highly anticipated titles Modern Warfare 2 and Halo:ODST are set to grace the Xbox 360."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the US isn't the 360 the only console whose sales are up? Don't have figures for rest of the world, but the total 360's shipped are up by about 25%. Whats the excuse for the consoles that have games in 09?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Um... worldwide recession much? Video games are doing surprisingly well considering the state of the economy.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
No one said M$ didn't turn a profit, just that they suffered their worst quarter in 2 years. Also, lol @ citing "shipped" numbers. Furthermore, that article you posted even states M$ is making less per console due to their desperate price slashing.f84jf84jf8fje93
The link is from gamespot (top news story). Shipped numbers is all the companies give, as its all they know, NPD numbers the 360 is the only console to increase in sales numbers. PS3 numbers are slumping. Obviously MS will make less/console after a price cut :roll:, but whats sony's strategy if MS's is "desperate" and they are making a profit and Sony is losing money in your eyes? Suicidal?
Chokipez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chokipez
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

Um... worldwide recession much? Video games are doing surprisingly well considering the state of the economy.

f84jf84jf8fje93
You mean the same worldwide recession in which Sony still sold just as many PS3s as M$ sold 360s in 2008 despite M$, in a desperate move, slashing the price of the cheapest 360 model to $200?

I hardly see what that has to do with his point.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="f84jf84jf8fje93"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

You mean the same worldwide recession in which Sony still sold just as many PS3s as M$ sold 360s in 2008 despite M$, in a desperate move, slashing the price of the cheapest 360 model to $200?

New account for this eh? You mean the same Sony that posted diastrous losses, while MS still posted profits? Yes, good comparison. The same desperate price cut which saw Sony slash $100 off its console last year and saw the biggest developer threaten to withdraw support unless it did again? You are so enlightened!
cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

Has the 360 had one exclusive besides Ninja blade so far?

imaps3fanboy

Halo Wars

Star Ocean 4

Race Pro

Infernal: Hell's Vengeance :lol:

-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Pred-Alien-
Member since 2009 • 1733 Posts
Its been discussed to death but they have invested hugely in R&D as well as the Zune which saw a huge loss in sales.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
Because we didn't have to go out any buy more Xboxs thanks to the improved quality. haha!DPhunkT
your opinion matches your username, defunct.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

blue_hazy_basic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the US isn't the 360 the only console whose sales are up? Don't have figures for rest of the world, but the total 360's shipped are up by about 25%. Whats the excuse for the consoles that have games in 09?

We are fed U.S. numbers like they are from Heaven, when in reality, that's where the largest portion of the 360's install base is. I don't know where your figures come into play, but if you want, make a thread about it, and I can comment on it.

All I did was read this fellow's link and comment. That's my secret formula.

As far as the other consoles, again, I don't know, if you get some sort of link or thread started, I can comment on those as well.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

We are fed U.S. numbers like they are from Heaven, when in reality, that's where the largest portion of the 360's install base is. I don't know where your figures come into play, but if you want, make a thread about it, and I can comment on it.

As far as the other consoles, again, I don't know, if you get some sort of link or thread started, I can comment on those as well.

Taken from a thread a week or so ago

Link

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rybe1025

SolidTy

I made a link so can you show where you explain how more then SW has noticed? Just wondering since the 360 is the only console and the DS only handheld to see a increase in sales (NPD). Also the 360 has doubled the PS3 in the UK the second largest single market. So I am guessing what you ment by more then SW has noticed is that they also notice the 360 is the better console compared to the PS3.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

blue_hazy_basic

You're mostly correct. The Xbox 360 is the only home console of the three that has seen any growth so far this year, and its shipped numbers are up by 21%, while the PS3 and Wii have declined by 30% and 13%, respectively.

Source

I do find it quite odd that, in a year that the 360 has the lowest number of quality exclusives, it still manages to show significant growth while the other two, which have had a great year in terms of exclusives, have languished.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the US isn't the 360 the only console whose sales are up? Don't have figures for rest of the world, but the total 360's shipped are up by about 25%. Whats the excuse for the consoles that have games in 09?blue_hazy_basic

Taken from a thread a week or so ago

Link

That's cool, the only problem is that it is only a fraction of the data we need to do a real comparison. IT's nice to see how things are going in the U.S., but it doesn't paint the overall picture.

From what I can gather now, the growth in the U.S. is a bandaid but the damage is done, according to both links, right?

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

That's cool, the only problem is that it is only a fraction of the data we need to do a real comparison. IT's nice to see how things are going in the U.S., but it doesn't paint the overall picture.

From what I can gather now, the growth in the U.S. is a bandaid but the damage is done, according to both links, right?

Really don't know but its sales, as Rybe said, have been really strong in the UK and the 360 is shipping 11.2 compared to 8.7 from the previous year then its sales elsewhere across the world must be at least the same and growing in some areas, no?
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidTy

The_Game21x

You're mostly correct. The Xbox 360 is the only home console of the three that has seen any growth so far this year, and its shipped numbers are up by 21%, while the PS3 and Wii have declined by 30% and 13%, respectively.

Source

I do find it quite odd that, in a year that the 360 has the lowest number of quality exclusives, it still manages to show significant growth while the other two, which have had a great year in terms of exclusives, have languished.

I agree with what you are saying, but again, we seem to be looking at U.S. only numbers, so the picture isn't complete.

What you mentioned about Exclusives is true...I think this is a great demonstration of Marketing, and it's ability to control perception. Marketing has been real fierce, and I think we are seeing it's effects right now.The Perception is that the 360 IS having a great year for exclusive games (or at least that it's equal to the PS3 this year), I think, to the mass market. They aren't aware of the exclusives, again, due to marketing and Lack of Marketing from all parties.

We seem to be witnessing a new potent way to do business. Sony and even Nintendo should think about Downsizing their 1st parties, and start paying for Timed Exclusives, because those seem to do just as much damage as real exclusives. The 3rd parties are ready, it's up to the Japanese console companies to recognize this.

Overall, Manticores may get less games, but it's too risky going this route any further.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

blue_hazy_basic

Really don't know but its sales, as Rybe said, have been really strong in the UK and the 360 is shipping 11.2 compared to 8.7 from the previous year then its sales elsewhere across the world must be at least the same and growing in some areas, no?

Well, that's assuming that the UK represents all of Europe, Australia, etc. (Not to mention Japan which we all know the story there).

My understanding was that the U.S., and U.K. were the largest bits of the 360 install base this whole generation, especially the U.S.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Well, that's assuming that the UK represents all of Europe, Australia, etc. (Not to mention Japan which we all know the story there).

My understanding was that the U.S., and U.K. were the largest bits of the 360 install base this whole generation, especially the U.S.

I wasn't suggesting the UK did. All I was saying is that the increase in shipped consoles must mean that worldwide the numbers of 360s sold in most areas must be either increasing or remaining the same.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 delta3074

it's not surprising, here in the UK the cheapest ps3 costs 50 pounds more than the elite and double the price of the arcade 360, MS seems to really care about the UK market, probably cos RARE and LIONSHEAD are based here, but SONY and NINTENDO have an annoying habit of using the UK to absorb any losses they make by releasing there consoles ay a higher price than anywhere elsewhen the ps3 released here it was 400 quid (about 650-700 dollars)
DPhunkT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DPhunkT
Member since 2008 • 1803 Posts
[QUOTE="DPhunkT"]Because we didn't have to go out any buy more Xboxs thanks to the improved quality. haha!delta3074
your opinion matches your username, defunct.

Yes sir! This is SERIOUS BUSINESS discussion ON THE INTERWEBS. Oh noes!
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

it's not surprising, here in the UK the cheapest ps3 costs 50 pounds more than the elite and double the price of the arcade 360, MS seems to really care about the UK market, probably cos RARE and LIONSHEAD are based here, but SONY and NINTENDO have an annoying habit of using the UK to absorb any losses they make by releasing there consoles ay a higher price than anywhere elsewhen the ps3 released here it was 400 quid (about 650-700 dollars)

VAT plays a part in that though. US prices are without tax. (although things are always more expensive in the UK)
Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts
Because we didn't have to go out any buy more Xboxs thanks to the improved quality. haha!DPhunkT
you never had to anyway seeing how it has a 3 year warranty. :|
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

So what if they suffered in one quarter, at the end they won the game by being in the black and getting profits 2 years in a row. :|

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the US isn't the 360 the only console whose sales are up? Don't have figures for rest of the world, but the total 360's shipped are up by about 25%. Whats the excuse for the consoles that have games in 09?rybe1025

I made a link so can you show where you explain how more then SW has noticed? Just wondering since the 360 is the only console and the DS only handheld to see a increase in sales (NPD). Also the 360 has doubled the PS3 in the UK the second largest single market. So I am guessing what you ment by more then SW has noticed is that they also notice the 360 is the better console compared to the PS3.

I never mentioned the PS3 nor compared the 360 to the PS3.

As far as where I said more than SW noticed, it's clear as day. I simply READ it FROM A LINK. You going gung ho about comparing the 360 to various consoles, when the link is comparing the 360 to itself. You are going on and on about the other consoles, I don't know why, but carefully and slowly READ my post again. It's not talking about PS3, Wii, or any other system.

To answer you DIRECTLY, WHOEVER I QUOTED NOTICED, which is MORE THAN SW.

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rybe1025

[QUOTE="rybe1025"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

As far as where I said more than SW noticed, it's clear as day. I simply READ it FROM A LINK. You going gung ho about comparing the 360 to various consoles, when the link is comparing the 360 to itself.

It was was the authors opinion and you quickly wanted to jump on and say HAHAH ya SW been saying it all along 360s games this year suck. Again it was the author's opinion it is not like Microsoft said that is the reason. I know you like to bash the 360 whenever you can and praise the PS3. Think about these things first though before just snapping out the "M$" insults. I posted another article 3 days ago where the 360 and Wii have sold 133 million in software and the PS3 54 million. In the same time frame as the PS3 the 360 sold 84 million so it still sold more. Numbers are (NPD) So software the 360 is making a killing also. The 360 is the only console to increase sales (NPD) The 360 over the last year doubled the PS3 in the UK Also before you say that is just America please do not just guess numbers about the rest of the world and show proof. Also the 360 is posting profit unlike the PS3.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 delta3074
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="rybe1025"]I made a link so can you show where you explain how more then SW has noticed? Just wondering since the 360 is the only console and the DS only handheld to see a increase in sales (NPD). Also the 360 has doubled the PS3 in the UK the second largest single market. So I am guessing what you ment by more then SW has noticed is that they also notice the 360 is the better console compared to the PS3.

rybe1025

As far as where I said more than SW noticed, it's clear as day. I simply READ it FROM A LINK. You going gung ho about comparing the 360 to various consoles, when the link is comparing the 360 to itself.

It was was the authors opinion and you quickly wanted to jump on and say HAHAH ya SW been saying it all along 360s games this year suck. Again it was the author's opinion it is not like Microsoft said that is the reason. I know you like to bash the 360 whenever you can and praise the PS3. Think about these things first though before just snapping out the "M$" insults. I posted another article 3 days ago where the 360 and Wii have sold 133 million in software and the PS3 54 million. In the same time frame as the PS3 the 360 sold 84 million so it still sold more. Numbers are (NPD) So software the 360 is making a killing also. The 360 is the only console to increase sales (NPD) The 360 over the last year doubled the PS3 in the UK Also before you say that is just America please do not just guess numbers about the rest of the world and show proof. Also the 360 is posting profit unlike the PS3.

take it easy man, solid ty aint no rabid SONY fanboy, he's just saying he can only comment on the information put in front of him, and he doesn't want to speculate about the rest of the world, you have seen his gamercard right?
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

rybe1025

What the...Chill. This is the way I look at it. The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease. If we gamers want more Exclusives, we need to pipe up, or we get nothing, right?

Do you want more games? I know I do!

I wasn't bashing nor praising ANYTHING, you have me confused with other SW guys, because my posts aren't that dramatic...save when I joke around.

Now, as far as you talking about PS3 vs. 360, Don't we all know the 360 DESTROYS the PS3 in Sales and Overall Gaming Library? It's pretty obvious. I don't feel like beating a dead horse, but you seem content, so carry on.

Obviously, the 360 gaming experience is better, HOWEVER, 2009 hasn't been a great year for Exclusives imo (And I know I'm not alone, but the YEAR is not over...). It looks like this author has noticed that as well, and also, if anyone would like, they can look at 2009's exclusives and I think it's okay to ask for more.

We aren't any of these companies, we PAY them to ENTERTAIN us, so I don't mind speaking up.

Anyways, you need to look at my original post one more time, and this time, try not to get so rabid about it, I didn't say anything that was Harsh or bashing, I just agreed with a portion of the comment.

All I've been saying is what people's threads are about.
Go ahead and make your own threads, and see hwo I comment on them, because I only commented on what I read. That's it man.Nothing to it.

I wouldn't have bought 2 360's and have had 2 Xbox Live Gold Accounts if I hated my 360's.

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

fact is, the 360 may be doing alright sale wise, but the fact is all companies are taking a hit. Yeah nintendo is making money, but even the wii's sales are down a significant amount. (Though you could argue saturation at the price point)

Grady420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Grady420
Member since 2008 • 430 Posts

[QUOTE="rybe1025"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

delta3074

take it easy man, solid ty aint no rabid SONY fanboy, he's just saying he can only comment on the information put in front of him, and he doesn't want to speculate about the rest of the world, you have seen his gamercard right?

I would not call him a fanboy but I never really see positives come from him about the 360. He reminds me of Bioshock, tries to act one way but his post say another. But then again I don't have too many positive things to say about my ps3 either...