3 Reason you should Never buy Games at Launch

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killu-later

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 killu-later
Member since 2011 • 381 Posts

1.) Game is Unfinished/ Broken

Developers are lazier than ever this generation. They can legally ship out unfinished games and just patch in the "finish" with months of updating. Many games have first day patches. Hell some games cant even play the multiplayer the first few days.

2.) Game is Expensive

Unlike other hobbies, you can always count on the price of video games to drop. Some old games and special editions will actually go up in value with time. Some games drop in price within months. Especially today with yearly releases, you just have to be patient enough to wait one year and you'll get a better complete anniversary edition for less, which leads us to the last reason.

3.) Content is Missing

DLC is the norm in today's gaming market. Developers just dont release one game anymore. They release the game then offer DLC to add content bit by bit over the game's life spam. By waiting a year for the anniversary edition, you get all bits and pieces of the Full complete game at about half the cost. games with user generated content is missing on launch day. Getting the game later will guranteed to give you a better first impression with all the user creativity, at a better bargain.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61550 Posts

I wouldn't say "never", but they are certainly reasons to wait. Still, if a game isn't buggy on release, and is something i've been looking forward to, I have no qualms about paying full price.

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

Well that depends.

Some developers I definitely agree with that sentiment. Others I do not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
So, these are three reasons you should never buy a non Nintendo game at launch. None of those reasons apply to a Nintendo game. A Nintendo game has no glitches and bugs, no withheld content, and a Nintendo game almost never goes down in price.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

4) Backlog galore.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Everyone of those is false for Nintendo. their games are finished, extremly polished and never drop in price ever

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
If someone has the patience they could definitely save a lot of money.
killu-later

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 killu-later

Everyone of those is false for Nintendo. their games are finished, extremly polished and never drop in price ever

LaytonsCat

OK, my thread dont apply to Nintendo games. are you happy?

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
It depends. I bought sonic generations 2 weeks before release for 20 dollars (saved 10 dollars), game was not buggy, and has a prethara of content. It just depends on game, the developer, and the time.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I usually get a game at launch not to miss out, but a lot of times I kind of regret it. MW2 was great fun, but terribly broken for a couple of weeks online, and BC2 was the same way.

I stick mainly to multiplayer games for launch though so I don't miss out with my friends. The exceptions are Rockstar games (I am NOT waiting 6 extra months without GTA for $20 off and some neat DLC) and games I'm sure won't come in some collection pack later full of DLC (like Dark Souls).

I'm currently waiting for LA Noire's complete pack to buy that, and I have a big backlog of older games to check out before I plop 3x as much on a newer game.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
nintendo games make your 3 reasons pitiful. they never change in price, the game is polished to near perfection and there's no DLC coming.
TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

You forgot Exception 1#

Unless it's an Nintendo game.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
no game is really worth launch unless your trying to be on the same level as others for the Multiplayer
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Well that is not always the case, but you know what always is the case when you get a game at launch? You don't have to wait to play. Yep, that sounds better to me than waiting for a GOTY edition. Lmao. If you can wait with no problem then more power to you. I already do that with games I'm not hyping much, but games I'm hyping will always be day 1.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I agree with all three of your points.
Avatar image for dr-professional
dr-professional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 dr-professional
Member since 2011 • 497 Posts
So, these are three reasons you should never buy a non Nintendo game at launch. None of those reasons apply to a Nintendo game. A Nintendo game has no glitches and bugs, no withheld content, and a Nintendo game almost never goes down in price.charizard1605
Nintendo games have glitches and bugs, can people stop thinking bug=Must be as bad a bethesda?
Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
I actually agree with the TC on all points,but they don't always apply to all developers with Nintendo being a prime example. Good thread, rare to see one in System Wars.
hellraiser_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hellraiser_07
Member since 2006 • 2171 Posts
I agree, mostly on point 3, games are waaay too expensive at launch. $60 is too much for a game, seriously. Except if its Skyrim, CoD or BF... or something :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]So, these are three reasons you should never buy a non Nintendo game at launch. None of those reasons apply to a Nintendo game. A Nintendo game has no glitches and bugs, no withheld content, and a Nintendo game almost never goes down in price.dr-professional
Nintendo games have glitches and bugs, can people stop thinking bug=Must be as bad a bethesda?

Barring Metroid: Other M, can you name me one well publicized instance of a game breaking bug in a Nintendo game?
TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

This is excluding Nintendo games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

1 depends on the game

2 depends how badly you want the game

3 DLC is useless in most cases imo :P

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I buy maybe... 2 or 3 titles at launch per year and the rest are used. I'm usually playing a mixture a of new releases and older games as well.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LaytonsCat

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]So, these are three reasons you should never buy a non Nintendo game at launch. None of those reasons apply to a Nintendo game. A Nintendo game has no glitches and bugs, no withheld content, and a Nintendo game almost never goes down in price.dr-professional

Lets name some then

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts

[QUOTE="dr-professional"]Nintendo games have glitches and bugs, can people stop thinking bug=Must be as bad a bethesda?charizard1605
Barring Metroid: Other M, can you name me one well publicized instance of a game breaking bug in a Nintendo game?

Is Metroid: Other M developed by third-party Team Ninja? Not all games published by Nintendo are developed by its first-party developers.

zxv33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zxv33
Member since 2006 • 807 Posts

I think this depends on the game that your getting. I tend to wait for games too but if I feel it's worth the price I buy it. Also I think calling game developers lazy shows me that you don't really know what goes into making games.Let's face the game industry is about making money if a game can make more money by selling DLC it's going to. But I don't feel as if we are getting ripped off.

Avatar image for phantomblade220
phantomblade220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 phantomblade220
Member since 2010 • 958 Posts

Sort of agree, though I can't help but get a couple games at launch that I'm just above and beyond hyped for (like I was for Uncharted 3).

A game like Mass Effect 3 is going to be hard to wait for. But I know it'll be worth it because a GOTY edition will def come. The hardest part about waiting not being able to talk with other gamers who did buy the game at launch. But that's the price to pay to save money.

dr-professional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dr-professional

[QUOTE="dr-professional"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]So, these are three reasons you should never buy a non Nintendo game at launch. None of those reasons apply to a Nintendo game. A Nintendo game has no glitches and bugs, no withheld content, and a Nintendo game almost never goes down in price.LaytonsCat

Lets name some then

Lol? SSBB had quite a few glitches by itself, everyone knows what they are, and yet you come and act like not one game has glitches? Odd. Like I said, stop thinking Nintendo is amune to glitched and bugs just because they aren't on the level of bugthesda. They are still there.
dr-professional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dr-professional

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="dr-professional"]Nintendo games have glitches and bugs, can people stop thinking bug=Must be as bad a bethesda?mario-galaxys

Is Metroid: Other M developed by third-party Team Ninja? Not all games published by Nintendo are developed by its first-party developers.

We went from nintendo franchise games, to Nintendo developed nintendo franchise games. DAMAGE CONTROL!!!
tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

I know you're right but I'm horribly impatient and have bought a lot of games on launch day expecially this year. The only game I waited for a price drop this year was L.A. Noire.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#31 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Nintendo doesn't follow any of those. Their games are always polished, they don't do dlc, and their games take forever to drop in price :P

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

One reason to buy games at launch;

1) It's a rockstar game.

killu-later

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 killu-later

1) It's a rockstar game.

bad_fur_day
I barely bought GTA 4 yesterday $10, made a thread about the controls
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Only one is really needed, most games aren't worth a dime, let alone $60 plus tax.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LaytonsCat

[QUOTE="LaytonsCat"]

[QUOTE="dr-professional"] Nintendo games have glitches and bugs, can people stop thinking bug=Must be as bad a bethesda?dr-professional

Lets name some then

Lol? SSBB had quite a few glitches by itself, everyone knows what they are, and yet you come and act like not one game has glitches? Odd. Like I said, stop thinking Nintendo is amune to glitched and bugs just because they aren't on the level of bugthesda. They are still there.

Fair enough the online was glitchy, the single player was flawless though

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

[QUOTE="bad_fur_day"]

1) It's a rockstar game.

killu-later

I barely bought GTA 4 yesterday $10, made a thread about the controls

Suit yourself bro. I played it for 5 years, bought it 4 times, including the expansions.

The most fun game I've ever played.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I hate to tell you this, but if nobody bought any product at launch there would be no products for us to purchase. Without a maximum return on profit, which occurs when a game is full price, the publisher and developer would enver recouperate their development costs which would hinder funding for future products if the massive debt from the lack of return from the first project did not put the developer or publisher out of buisness. This not only extends to video games but all technology products. You may make fun of early adopters for spending more for less, but they are what enable you to spend less for more.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
last gen games costed 500,000 to make, and dev time of 6 to 12 months, now its 25 million and 2 years to 4 years... you really can't expect games to have the same level of content, or you can't expect the games to have the same quality level of the HD gen
arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

1) Mods generally fix the game within a week if a patch is not out by then.

2) I actually like for devs/pubs to get my money if I am enjoying their game.

3) I don't buy DLC. I just wait for mods to come out and get them as they do.

killu-later

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 killu-later

arto1223

devs DO get your money even if you wait 1 year to buy it

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

I had no shame in paying $40 for SM3DL Day 1. It satisfies all your criteria.

:bow: Nintendo :bow:

Edit: Should've read first 10 posts of the thread lol. I refuse to buy most games day 1 because of price. If you wait 6 months, you can get the game for $30. I saw Kirby's Epic Yarn for $13 the other day.

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts
We went from nintendo franchise games, to Nintendo developed nintendo franchise games. DAMAGE CONTROL!!!dr-professional
I hope you are aware that using "damage control" to someone can be seen as a form of trolling. Refrain from using that term on this forum.
1oh1nine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 1oh1nine1
Member since 2007 • 779 Posts

Barring Metroid: Other M, can you name me one well publicized instance of a game breaking bug in a Nintendo game?charizard1605

TP had one that I can remember, the cannon-room save glitch. But that is just one. Pretty good track record!

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="arto1223"]

killu-later

devs DO get your money even if you wait 1 year to buy it

But not as much. What's the point of me working for money if I'm not going to spend it on one of my favorite things. Devs put hundreds and thousands of man hours into making these games that we enjoy. I could spend $10 and an average meal that will last me 30 minutes at most, or $50/$50 on a game that could provide 10-40+ hours of enjoyment.

I'm guessing this thread was a result of Skyrim and BF3 recently releasing with tons of issues in each. I have already put over 100 hours into them... money well spent.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#45 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Yes I either get a pretty good deal, or I wait for the Complete Edition.
I can get Saints Row the Third for 35 euro. I'm very hesitant, should I do that? Cause of all the DLC.

I also bought BF3 for 35 and Skyrim for 40 :P
So I am on a roll.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

If it's a big game, I'll usually get it at launch. That's when the buzz is fresh and when people are talking about it. But early adopters know the risks of getting games day one.

USBxDVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 USBxDVD
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts

Agree

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

meh i'll buy games at launch and hold out for patches and act sane bout it, if its really bad it gets shelved a-la fo nv til its fixed.

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#49 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
All true, but sometimes I can't help it. Sometimes Steam offers 10-20% off games if you pre-purchase, and some games give you some sweet DLC for doing so. Although, again I agree...nothing bites me in the ass than paying full price for a game, just to see it drop in price by $30 at the end of the year :lol:.
D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

Every year I buy a game to play competative multiplayer at launch for the 360. This year was BF3, last it was Black Ops.

Most other games I can wait, but the reason people buy games is they are excited and want to play them as soon as possible. Some games are buggy and broken, and some get lots of DLC, this isnt true of all games (Nintendo), but at the end of the day people are going to want the game and buy it as soon as they can; I dont see anything wrong with that.

If you want to support a developer and a certain product, publishers look at early adoption to see how successful it is. Launch sales are how you squeeze more out of a franchise/developer.