2009 Reviews from the Future: Killzone 2 (PS3) - 8/10

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/galleries/2009-reviews-from-the-future/?icid=aimDBDL3_link1-a&page=4

Killzone 2 (PS3- February 27)

Much like Resistance 2, Killzone 2 has a character issue. As much as we tried to like protagonist Sgt. Tomas Sevchenko, we just couldn't warm up to such a cookie cutter hero or care about the story. As a shooter, however, Killzone 2 provides wall-to-wall action. We could do without battling enemies that look startlingly similar, but for the most part, we had fun blazing through the war-torn locales, chucking grenades and shooting baddies. The special effects, weapon and character detail is among the best we've seen on PlayStation 3, and multiplayer extends the game's life, thanks to intense firefights that kept us up past our bedtimes. It will never live up to that infamous E3 2005 footage, but for what it's worth, Killzone 2 deserves respect.

Final Score: 8

What do you guys think? Despite the shiny and very sexy visuals, could it flop? Or do you think it'll meet the AAA hype?

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

I'm still holding on to my AAA hype.

If Resistance 2 can score a 9.0 with bland graphics and a terrible story, this can easily score the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts
I think it'll meet the hype here, but I can see many sites giving it that score.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/galleries/2009-reviews-from-the-future/?icid=aimDBDL3_link1-a&page=4

Much like Resistance 2, Killzone 2 has a character issue. As much as we tried to like protagonist Sgt. Tomas Sevchenko, we just couldn't warm up to such a cookie cutter hero or care about the story. As a shooter, however, Killzone 2 provides wall-to-wall action. We could do without battling enemies that look startlingly similar, but for the most part, we had fun blazing through the war-torn locales, chucking grenades and shooting baddies. The special effects, weapon and character detail is among the best we've seen on PlayStation 3, and multiplayer extends the game's life, thanks to intense firefights that kept us up past our bedtimes. It will never live up to that infamous E3 2005 footage, but for what it's worth, Killzone 2 deserves respect.

What do you guys think? Despite the shiny and very sexy visuals, could it flop? Or do you think it'll meet the AAA hype?

BioShockOwnz

If/ when this happens, I'm gonna enjoy being on the forums and watch the cows go into defense mode as they get pelted with insult after insult for the way they saturated the forums with constant killzone 2 crap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

If Resistance 2 can score a 9.0 with bland graphics and a terrible story, this can easily score the same.

WAIW

Great minds think alike.

DennisHopperz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DennisHopperz
Member since 2008 • 304 Posts
I'm still hyping AAA Also is this a full review of the final version of the game or a prediction? IDC what KZ2 gets, flop or not it'll be a fun day in SW.
Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts
I'm still hyping AAA...I've never taken gamedaily's reviews very seriously
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BioShockOwnz

I'm still hyping AAA Also is this a full review of the final version of the game or a prediction? IDC what KZ2 gets, flop or not it'll be a fun day in SW.DennisHopperz

I know 1UP played most of the single player weeks ago, and they discussed it on the 1UP Show.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

ActicEdge

If/ when this happens, I'm gonna enjoy being on the forums and watch the cows go into defense mode as they get pelted with insult after insult for the way they saturated the forums with constant killzone 2 crap.

Cow flops are quickly forgotten and Lemmings ones are always made much worse... Haze a Crysis killer? Whoever said that Lair was going to be the game of 07 and AAA? Nada! Home is going to destroy the crappy paid for service that is XBL? But its just an extra Oh and BTW, Too Human has been hyped to death since the amazing showing it had back in E3 06.:roll:
naydaslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 naydaslayer
Member since 2008 • 371 Posts

It sounds like R2 in the review.. im going 9.0

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#12 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

WAIW

FOrgive me sir, it's been generic.

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts
Anyone notice that they also gave RE5 an 8?
Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

I could see that happening, A pretty good game, but I could see it not living up to the masstive hype it has. Sadly it looks like one of these cases where they hype hurt the game.

bethwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 bethwo
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts
I think it will be a brilliant game, and I will end up thinking of it as an AAA considering how I thought Killzone 1 was AA quality. But yeah it will probably on Gamespot.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
I hope it flops just for the lulz. Never really cared about KZ2 anyway.
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

How come when evers there's even the slightest hope that something may go bad for PS3 fanboys, you're always there to point it out? This is like the 3rd thread I've seen in the past couple of days. It seems to be like some strange obssesion. Wouldn't you want Killzone 2 to turn out well seeing as you do own a PS3? Why would you want to deprive your self of a good game?

Anyway I would say Killzone 2 has a fairly high chance of floping, perhaps more than people realize. Very few games actually score 9 or above, and very few games actually live up to their immense hype. Generally highly hyped games will have a better critical reception than player reception (Numerous other factors come in to this.), but apart from graphics Killzone 2 dosn't look to do much diffrently from what we have seen in the past. It would be much safer to hype Killzone AA, and I will hype it 8.5. Perhaps the hype of Killzone may change over the next two months, who knows, but it looks to me like System Wars will become a bit more hectic in Feburary, which is good seeing as things have slowed down a snails pace now. If I see another thread talking about sales or who had the better year, or another PS3 doom thread, I will eat my face.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BioShockOwnz

Anyone notice that they also gave RE5 an 8?Evz0rz

I think RE5 could score low. I guess Shane (1UP) and Brad (ex-Gamespot/current Giant Bomb member) weren't that happy with it on the latest 1UP Yours Podcast. They said it was too much like RE4, but the gameplay hasn't stepped it up enough for them. I enjoyed the demo, but I could see it suffering from "more of the same" syndrome.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
Anyone notice that they also gave RE5 an 8?Evz0rz
Pretty generous, if you ask me.
Avatar image for Gaming_Guru_Guy
Gaming_Guru_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gaming_Guru_Guy
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts
I look forward to not caring what any site gives the game and just enjoying it for myself. I suppose GOW fans will care what that game scores here as well :lol:
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
Character Developements matters in a FPS now? WHAA?
Avatar image for Corey_Barlog_SM
Corey_Barlog_SM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Corey_Barlog_SM
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
I think it will be more impressive than the original, but still not up to the hype. 8/10.
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

GameDaily going out of their way again to post crap and get hits. Is it not bad enough that they waste most of the website space and keep each page to no more than a small paragraph with a picture and force you to go through monotonous lists and thus generate higher hits and higher ad revenue for them, but now they're blatantly just destroying any last semblance of credibility they had left. I mean man, who posts 'future' reviews on a supposedly games website? Have you played it fully?, have you completed it?, do you even know what you're talking about?

**** off GameDaily. I hope the economic downturn bites them on the ass, and bankrupts AOL, their parent company.

DennisHopperz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DennisHopperz
[QUOTE="ActicEdge"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

FirstDiscovery

Cow flops are quickly forgotten and Lemmings ones are always made much worse... Haze a Crysis killer? Whoever said that Lair was going to be the game of 07 and AAA? Nada! Home is going to destroy the crappy paid for service that is XBL? But its just an extra Oh and BTW, Too Human has been hyped to death since the amazing showing it had back in E3 06.:roll:

Halo 3's release to kill PS3 Fable 2 the FFXIII Killer NXE was gonna destroy HOME It works both ways, you always single out the cows for something every fanboy faction does. Which leads me to believe you're a lem.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts
[QUOTE="ActicEdge"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

FirstDiscovery

Oh please :roll: I don't pick sides, all fanboys from any faction are equally annoying. The fact is that Killzone 2 has saturated the forum with hype for so long that if it flops the cows will be tormented and rightfully so. Its rediculous how much its been on system wars. I would say the exact same thing if it were lemmings, or sheep, or hermits. Don't lump me together with some faction because you didn't like what I said. I have no alligance.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BioShockOwnz

How come when evers there's even the slightest hope that something may go bad for PS3 fanboys, you're always there to point it out? This is like the 3rd thread I've seen in the past couple of days. It seems to be like some strange obssesion. Wouldn't you want Killzone 2 to turn out well seeing as you do own a PS3? Why would you want to deprive your self of a good game?

Anyway I would say Killzone 2 has a fairly high chance of floping, perhaps more than people realize. Very few games actually score 9 or above, and very few games actually live up to their immense hype. Generally highly hyped games will have a better critical reception than player reception (Numerous other factors come in to this.), but apart from graphics Killzone 2 dosn't look to do much diffrently from what we have seen in the past. It would be much safer to hype Killzone AA, and I will hype it 8.5. Perhaps the hype of Killzone may change over the next two months, who knows, but it looks to me like System Wars will become a bit more hectic in Feburary, which is good seeing as things have slowed down a snails pace now. If I see another thread talking about sales or who had the better year, or another PS3 doom thread, I will eat my face.

WasntAvailable

Unlike some, I don't take the flop business to heart in my daily life. I play mostly all "flops". A "flop" isn't a bad game, but just a game that didn't live up to the hype on this forum, and I'll gladly underhype my own hype, so in the end I'll enjoy the product even more. Overhyping = sad puppy faces in many instances. Sure, AA is a flop here, and it'll be a great "LOL" day on System Wars, but I'll enjoy it in my own daily life.

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts

[QUOTE="Evz0rz"]Anyone notice that they also gave RE5 an 8?BioShockOwnz

I think RE5 could score low. I guess Shane (1UP) and Brad (ex-Gamespot/current Giant Bomb member) weren't that happy with it on the latest 1UP Yours Podcast. They said it was too much like RE4, but the gameplay hasn't stepped it up enough for them. I enjoyed the demo, but I could see it suffering from "more of the same" syndrome.

well that would be a good thing for me. I really liked RE4 so I would be very happy. If it is the same game though just in a different area then ya no way it will get AAA.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
I look forward to not caring what any site gives the game and just enjoying it for myself. I suppose GOW fans will care what that game scores here as well :lol:Gaming_Guru_Guy
I see the damage control has already started. :lol:
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BioShockOwnz

Character Developements matters in a FPS now? WHAA?Cedmln

Yes. Atleast to a certain degree. Resistance: FoM was more successful in most Resistance fans eyes because they had some depth and story to Hale, but most of that was lost in Resistance 2.

Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts

WAIW
Doesn't that just just show that AAA here isn't worth beans, rather than that we should applaud it when something with bland graphics and terrible story gets given such a score?
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

Hmmm......I wonder what they gave Halo 3, because I believed it suffered from many of the same problems they claim KZ2 of having.
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rybe1025
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

DennisHopperz

Halo 3's release to kill PS3 Fable 2 the FFXIII Killer NXE was gonna destroy HOME It works both ways, you always single out the cows for something every fanboy faction does. Which leads me to believe you're a lem.

FF13 is not even out so no way to judge that but it would not happen anyways. Home is a flop and almost all reviewers say that but they also say NXE is a good upgrade. No one said Halo 3 would kill the PS3 but many said stuff like no PS3 game would touch it and sales wise none have come close.
DennisHopperz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DennisHopperz
[QUOTE="Gaming_Guru_Guy"]I look forward to not caring what any site gives the game and just enjoying it for myself. I suppose GOW fans will care what that game scores here as well :lol:Aljosa23

Thats exactly what it is, its IMPOSSIBLE for people to enjoy a game based on their own opinions. When cows say it was never hyped AAA, THAT my friend is damage control.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"][QUOTE="Gaming_Guru_Guy"]I look forward to not caring what any site gives the game and just enjoying it for myself. I suppose GOW fans will care what that game scores here as well :lol:DennisHopperz

Thats exactly what it is, its IMPOSSIBLE for people to enjoy a game based on their own opinions. When cows say it was never hyped AAA, THAT my friend is damage control.

No, I just find it fun to mess around with people. Hey, we are in System Wars. ;)
Mongo-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mongo-Boss
Member since 2008 • 2108 Posts
That's 0.5 more than what I was expecting. It'll be an interesting day on SW when KZ2 is rated.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

TheGrat1

Hmmm......I wonder what they gave Halo 3, because I believed it suffered from many of the same problems they claim KZ2 of having.

They gave it a 9, which was also more than a year ago.

XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts
Meh a prediction that anyone could pull based off the material present itsnt something I'm going to take to heart KZ2 is going to shut up the haters and even if it got an 8 that would still be a great game and I would get it regardless.
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts
[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]

BioShockOwnz

Unlike some, I don't take the flop business to heart in my daily life. I play mostly all "flops". A "flop" isn't a bad game, but just a game that didn't live up to the hype on this forum, and I'll gladly underhype my own hype, so in the end I'll enjoy the product even more. Overhyping = sad puppy faces in many instances. Sure, AA is a flop here, and it'll be a great "LOL" day on System Wars, but I'll enjoy it in my own daily life.

That still dosn't explain the stronger focus on the PS3.

Though personally I tend to just wait until the last week or so before release before I get excited, otherwise I will have wasted months. For example I just bought Dead Space and Mirrors Edge. I didn't care about them at all until about 2 days ago, when I decided I was going buy them (This is online so I don't have them yet.). Sometimes it's hard to avoid not being hyped. It's like trying to push back agaisnt an intense force of excitement, but that isn't usually the case. Two games that did have that effect on me though were GTA4 and MGS4. I've allways been a fan of GTA and MGS, and with all the hype it was just to much to bare. I think they are both example of me getting overhpyed for something aswell. Still if you don't form atleast some kind of hype then it can bring down the experience I find. If you try so hard to convince yourself that you don't really like something, then there's a good chance you won't like it. This was the case when I first played Halo 3. I'm still not a big fan, but it took me two play throughs to make me realise what actually made the game good.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FirstDiscovery

DennisHopperz

Halo 3 scored AAA Fable 2 was still a good game (unlike Lair and Haze for starters) NXE is indeed a better addition than Home (which happens to suck and Cows always said destroyed NXE) Sorry but this is a one-sided argument
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FirstDiscovery

ActicEdge

Oh please :roll: I don't pick sides, all fanboys from any faction are equally annoying. The fact is that Killzone 2 has saturated the forum with hype for so long that if it flops the cows will be tormented and rightfully so. Its rediculous how much its been on system wars. I would say the exact same thing if it were lemmings, or sheep, or hermits. Don't lump me together with some faction because you didn't like what I said. I have no alligance.

Im not taking any sides, i just fail to see how Too Human is a bigger flop than Lair or Haze, two games which Cows actually hyped:?
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
I have been calling AA on this one for awhile and I'm sticking to it.
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rybe1025
Not if but when KZ2 gets less the AAA this forum will be so much fun for that week.
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="TheGrat1"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

They gave it a 9, which was also more than a year ago.

My suspicions confirmed. Halo 3, although a superb game in a superb series, usualy gets a free pass on what brings down other shooters.
DennisHopperz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DennisHopperz
[QUOTE="DennisHopperz"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Cow flops are quickly forgotten and Lemmings ones are always made much worse... Haze a Crysis killer? Whoever said that Lair was going to be the game of 07 and AAA? Nada! Home is going to destroy the crappy paid for service that is XBL? But its just an extra Oh and BTW, Too Human has been hyped to death since the amazing showing it had back in E3 06.:roll:FirstDiscovery

Halo 3 scored AAA Fable 2 was still a good game (unlike Lair and Haze for starters) NXE is indeed a better addition than Home (which happens to suck and Cows always said destroyed NXE) Sorry but this is a one-sided argument

Halo 3 was also supposed to put the “final nail in the coffin” of PS3. It is a good game my favorite rpg this year, but it still flopped. Thats an opinion, we may think HOME suck but others like it. NXE was supposed to kill HOME but it didn't. HOME didn't kill NXE/XBL and vice versa.
Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts
KZ2 getting an 8 would be great. The first one was broken and got a 6.9.
SupremeLegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SupremeLegacy
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts

F

L

O

P

Rdiz

See, this is why sites that do this really piss me off. They make some made up, very early review score, and everyone freaks out. Just grow up, there's 2 more months.

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts
6.5-7.0
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

8 or better is fine for Killzone 2 , that is what I expect from just about every credible source.