1992-2003 Golden Age, 2004-2009 Depression

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

goldenagex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 goldenagex
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts
It's so true, ask anyone over 20 years old. 2004 is when games got waaaaay too easy, especially with WoW and HL2 Any true gamer knows when HL2 came out, that was the end. They ruined Counterstrike with CS: Source, and Doom 3 was HORRIBLE. Quake 4 was a disaster in 2005, and Mortal Kombat Deception topped off the 40 year old virgin horrid movie sundae that year. Just admit it. Goldeneye/Counterstrike 1.3 were the days
Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

I think you are just trying to troll. Also, Counter Strike: Source, by far, has the absolute best players on it I have ever seen. I played Call of Duty: World at War on 360 at my friend's house for a few minutes, and completely owned. I've been playing Counter Strike: Source for awhile now, and it's still hard for me to get more kills than deaths.

People always make out the past to be better than it actually was.

goldenagex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 goldenagex
Source ruined Counterstrike, it became waaay too easy
clubsammich91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 clubsammich91
Member since 2009 • 2229 Posts

It's so true, ask anyone over 20 years old. 2004 is when games got waaaaay too easy, especially with WoW and HL2 Any true gamer knows when HL2 came out, that was the end. They ruined Counterstrike with CS: Source, and Doom 3 was HORRIBLE. Quake 4 was a disaster in 2005, and Mortal Kombat Deception topped off the 40 year old virgin horrid movie sundae that year. Just admit it. Goldeneye/Counterstrike 1.3 were the daysgoldenagex
:lol: One of the best FPS's of all time signild "the end"?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
I'm exactly 20, and no, gaming has been awesome since 2004. But your opinion has been noticed.
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#7 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts
Source ruined Counterstrike, it became waaay too easygoldenagex
what do you mean "easy"?
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

I think you are just trying to troll. Also, Counter Strike: Source, by far, has the absolute best players on it I have ever seen. I played Call of Duty: World at War on 360 at my friend's house for a few minutes, and completely owned. I've been playing Counter Strike: Source for awhile now, and it's still hard for me to get more kills than deaths.

DeathScape666
although i completely disagree with the TC's main point of 04-09 being a "depression" for gaming but counter strike 1.6 truly is a much better game than source, especially for competitive play, although source still can be fun dont get me wrong
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50666 Posts

From the start of Nintendo till th end of Ps2 era was golden age. It's still good now, but no where what it used to be.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
I'm over 20 (and 30 *ahem* ) and I say that you're wrong
goldenagex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 goldenagex
Original CS took ALOT more skill than Source. Source was and still is a joke to competetive players
clubsammich91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clubsammich91
Member since 2009 • 2229 Posts
[QUOTE="clubsammich91"]

[QUOTE="goldenagex"]It's so true, ask anyone over 20 years old. 2004 is when games got waaaaay too easy, especially with WoW and HL2 Any true gamer knows when HL2 came out, that was the end. They ruined Counterstrike with CS: Source, and Doom 3 was HORRIBLE. Quake 4 was a disaster in 2005, and Mortal Kombat Deception topped off the 40 year old virgin horrid movie sundae that year. Just admit it. Goldeneye/Counterstrike 1.3 were the daysgoldenagex

:lol: One of the best FPS's of all time signild "the end"?

If you actually think Source was better than Regular CS, you've got problems

First off: I was talking about what you said about HL2. Second: If you think that gaming has been crap since 04 you are the one with the problems. I agree with you about quake 4 but everything else you said was just not right.
WINDWAKER1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 WINDWAKER1
Member since 2003 • 3397 Posts

DeathScape666

CS 1.6 is actually much better than Source, player skill wise and gameplay wise. You shoulddefinetly try it out if you enjoy source.

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#14 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts
Nahhh when I play a game my goal is to have fun not overanalyze so I'm still having a blast, it's rather easy to have fun with games these days just like it was back in the SNES era, although not everyone plays for the same reasons.
Catpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Catpee
Member since 2006 • 2552 Posts

It's so true, ask anyone over 20 years old. 2004 is when games got waaaaay too easy, especially with WoW and HL2 Any true gamer knows when HL2 came out, that was the end. They ruined Counterstrike with CS: Source, and Doom 3 was HORRIBLE. Quake 4 was a disaster in 2005, and Mortal Kombat Deception topped off the 40 year old virgin horrid movie sundae that year. Just admit it. Goldeneye/Counterstrike 1.3 were the daysgoldenagex

You are 100% wrong. Goldeneye was great, but its not online so who gives a crap about it. Counterstrike 1.3 was great 100 years ago but now its stale. Source was terrible because it was 1.3 with a facelift. Can't go prone, same terrible animations, same stupid imbalanced weapons, same imbalanced maps, no vehicles, etc. Doom 3 was horrible for the same reason. It tries to much to be the old Doom, but nobody wants to play that nonsense anymore. It's done.

World of Warcraft is the most successful MMO and one of the best selling computer games of all time, so your opinion that it is somehow a reason that gaming now stinks is a minority opinion to say the least. MK Deception was just a poor game from a poor developing company. SF4 on the other hand is better than SF:3rd strike which was better than SF2. I'm sure you don't agree, but that brings me to my explanation of that:

Sounds like you are just getting old. Problem sometimes when you get old is you see everything from your own youth as somehow superior to modern stuff. It's why when your grandma plays music, its terrible old music you would never listen to, and the movies she probably likes are all terribly acted and black and white. It's just the way it is. You get stuck in your time period and can't move on.

goldenagex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 goldenagex
Everquest was the most successful MMORPG imo. As for Source being a facelift for Original CS, that's completley false. It was a totally different game.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

From the start of Nintendo till th end of Ps2 era was golden age. It's still good now, but no where what it used to be.

Chutebox
I agree with this... there were still some good games in 2005 and 2006.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
while I would say 1996-2000 is golden age, but this is no depression (only PS3 owners faced depression in exclusives 2007 and it looks to be the same for 360 owners this year :P ) -- but overall there are too many good games to say there is a depression. And yeah I am not only over 20 , I have now over 20 years of gaming :D
Catpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Catpee

Everquest was the most successful MMORPG imo. As for Source being a facelift for Original CS, that's completley false. It was a totally different game. goldenagex

I'm not even going to look at the numbers, so this is just a claim that I'm sure is 100% true.

Everquest never....ever....EVER had anywhere near the number of subscribers WoW currently does.....period.

Source is not a completely different game at all. Same guns, same maps, same mechanics. Essentially it is irrelevent in an era of COD4, which is why it sucks.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts
The market is flooded with generic shooters anymore......
goldenagex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 goldenagex

[QUOTE="goldenagex"]Everquest was the most successful MMORPG imo. As for Source being a facelift for Original CS, that's completley false. It was a totally different game. Catpee

I'm not even going to look at the numbers, so this is just a claim that I'm sure is 100% true.

Everquest never....ever....EVER had anywhere near the number of subscribers WoW currently does.....period.

Source is not a completely different game at all. Same guns, same maps, same mechanics. Essentially it is irrelevent in an era of COD4, which is why it sucks.

Source plays ALOT differently than Original CS in every way. From the recoil to the maps stradegy. As for Everquest, I think it's more successful than WoW, because you wouldn't even have WoW without it. And it had an actual grind, something you're supposed to have in an MMO. As for Quests, they took patience to recieve and complete
death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 death919
Everquest was the most successful MMORPG imo. As for Source being a facelift for Original CS, that's completley false. It was a totally different game. goldenagex
There is no IMO, capping at 430k subscriptions is not more successful than 13 million subscriptions and still rising.
goldenagex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 goldenagex
[QUOTE="goldenagex"]Everquest was the most successful MMORPG imo. As for Source being a facelift for Original CS, that's completley false. It was a totally different game. death919
There is no IMO, capping at 430k subscriptions is not more successful than 13 million subscriptions and still rising.

My view of success is different than yours.
kunggustaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kunggustaf
Member since 2005 • 883 Posts

I say you're right. Games are being dumbed down nowadays, *sigh* loved the old days 8)

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 death919
[QUOTE="death919"][QUOTE="goldenagex"]Everquest was the most successful MMORPG imo. As for Source being a facelift for Original CS, that's completley false. It was a totally different game. goldenagex

My view of success is different than yours.

So by success you weren't talking about financial success or success in actually appealing to people who can't put 50+ hours a week into a game, gotcha.
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kidcool189
[QUOTE="Catpee"]

[QUOTE="goldenagex"]Everquest was the most successful MMORPG imo. As for Source being a facelift for Original CS, that's completley false. It was a totally different game. goldenagex

Source plays ALOT differently than Original CS in every way. From the recoil to the maps stradegy. As for Everquest, I think it's more successful than WoW, because you wouldn't even have WoW without it. And it had an actual grind, something you're supposed to have in an MMO. As for Quests, they took patience to recieve and complete

nah, its not THAT different its primarily the recoil/gunplay/hitboxes which are different(and obviously graphics) but their different enough to make a significant difference between the two, especially since the gunplay was one of the best aspects of counterstrike 1.6 strategies and whatnot are generally all still the same with the same maps
Catpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Catpee

[QUOTE="Catpee"]

[QUOTE="goldenagex"]Everquest was the most successful MMORPG imo. As for Source being a facelift for Original CS, that's completley false. It was a totally different game. goldenagex

Millions of subscribers disagree with you, and millions of gamers disagree with pretty much everything you have said in this thread. It's one thing to come out with an opinion backed with a strong argument, but you are coming out with nothing. Everquest is better because WoW wouldn't exist without Everquest?

Cool, so Laser Disk is superior to DVD, hubs are better than switches, and the Model T is superior to the Escalade....

Catpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Catpee

I say you're right. Games are being dumbed down nowadays, *sigh* loved the old days 8)

kunggustaf

Yes because Pitfall was an incredibly deep game.

Games are not being dumbed down, but singleplayer is becoming irrelevent. Games are becoming only as difficult as your real life opponent makes them, and that is fine by me. This is the age of connectivity. Maybe you like playing games that were made artificially difficult because of poor design mechanics or cheesy AI, but I'll pass on the nostalgia.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

I like gaming more now than I did before....I'm 22, if that matters.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kidcool189
[QUOTE="DeathScape666"]

videogamesrdead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg01UJ322rA Fatal1ty's Top 10 FPS PC Games of All Time he say's counter strike is his number 4 favorite, lol he ranks quake 1# as his 3rd favorite painkiller as his 2nd and quake 3 as his number 1#. counter strike really is not a skill based shooter honestly, fatal1ty say's it's a great game to relax and play with friends about it.

how is cs not skill based? and in no way did that goon fatality say or imply it to not be a skill based shooter lol silly alt accounts...this is like your 6th one today
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kidcool189
[QUOTE="counterstrikesu"][QUOTE="kidcool189"][QUOTE="videogamesrdead"] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg01UJ322rA Fatal1ty's Top 10 FPS PC Games of All Time he say's counter strike is his number 4 favorite, lol he ranks quake 1# as his 3rd favorite painkiller as his 2nd and quake 3 as his number 1#. counter strike really is not a skill based shooter honestly, fatal1ty say's it's a great game to relax and play with friends about it.

how is cs not skill based? and in no way did that goon fatality say or imply it to not be a skill based shooter lol silly alt accounts...this is like your 6th one today

Umm the character doesnt require any practice to move. the weapons arent accurate it's just spray and pray. 2 people meet around a corner LOL gotta do both noob crouching thing whoever pulls trigger and get's first bullet into enemy wins LOL because after ur hit with a bullet ur in slowmo and cant even react really.

whyd you have to make ANOTHER account to post this nonsense?
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#34 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

only things i really agree with are that WoW has become too easy...

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
im 19 but i started gaming since i was 2 (and started memorizing games at 4 or 5) so i have a good idea of what's going on. While it's true that the gaming industry took a slight dip this year and the last, 2007 was by far one of the best gaming years ever. So no, there are still many games i'm looking forward to, and i know this generation's best offering has yet to come. Oh and for handhelds, this is by far the best generation ever. .... i dunno i like gaming nowadays, just wish they would put more concentration on other genres.
crushed25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 crushed25
Member since 2009 • 107 Posts
i do agree that half life 2 was far too easy....but thats it.
FloWeN-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FloWeN-UK
Member since 2004 • 693 Posts

I agree TC but give it up, you can't change the minds of people in huge denial. I'll tell you why you've been depressed all those years, it's because standards have dropped greatly aswell as society degraded. The majority don't have them normal standards anymore. Thus game quality plummets. It will continue. The need for creativity and challenge is somewhat dead right now. It's all about flash and no substance.

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 death919

I agree TC but give it up, you can't change the minds of people in huge denial. I'll tell you why you've been depressed all those years, it's because standards have dropped greatly aswell as society degraded. The majority don't have them normal standards anymore. Thus game quality plummets. It will continue. The need for creativity and challenge is somewhat dead right now. It's all about flash and no substance.

FloWeN-UK
Well that doesn't make sense, if anything standards haven't fallen, they've risen, hence why this thread was created, for every game released people pull out the "yeah well game X is better so this game sucks", that didn't exist 15 years ago because there weren't as many games out and innovation was ALOT easier. Standards haven't fallen, they've risen.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

My favourite generation was the 16bit one. Sonic2, Streets of Rage2, Street Fighter 2, Super Mario World, Mario All Stars, Castlevania4, etc are still some of the best games ever!

This gen is going great aswell. Easly as good as last 2 gens :)

alia999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 alia999
Member since 2005 • 1353 Posts

Has gaming declined since the earlier days? probably not. Has gaming improved as much as I had expected? once again, probably not.

For me, the SNES days were the best.

FloWeN-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FloWeN-UK
Member since 2004 • 693 Posts

[QUOTE="FloWeN-UK"]

death919

Well that doesn't make sense, if anything standards haven't fallen, they've risen, hence why this thread was created, for every game released people pull out the "yeah well game X is better so this game sucks", that didn't exist 15 years ago because there weren't as many games out and innovation was ALOT easier. Standards haven't fallen, they've risen.

How have standards risen for him if he's the one liking the older games over the new. If standards had risen games wouldn't be as dumbed down and easy like they are to this very day. Newer games are supposed to improve over the old not get worse. An innovation and creativity are just as easy now as they where back in the days. Developers are just focusing on people who like teh flash aka people with lower standards. Easily pleasing people.

People need to get back to their normal standards so we can have games with depth and quality in them again. Not ripped apart for the sake of easily pleased. They shouldn't matter, it hinders quality, it hinders art, it hinders everything. It's sad, it's not the developers that hold this industry back, it's the gamers. The easily pleased lower standard gamer. This is a shambles of a game generation and I've liked everyone before it.

ceruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ceruxx
Member since 2007 • 1292 Posts

I agree. From 1995 gaming just seemed to be getting more progressively creative. And then suddenly it stopped. I can't help but think of Xenosaga, which was so promising, but the latter two titles faltered and were cut short with major plot changes.

ferrari_102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ferrari_102
Member since 2009 • 629 Posts

TC, I actually agree with you, contrary to what everyone here is saying.

RobNBankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RobNBankz
Member since 2008 • 483 Posts

I think gaming is better than it ever was. Stop being nostalgic, and hypocritical.

The reason why everything was so much "better" was because everything was so simple. Now, people want innovation and revolution and when they don't get it, the game fails.

Gaming isn't failing, you are. You lost sight of what was important and would rather have some new feature like "play dead" in Haze (people actually hyped that s*** up) instead of just doing what has been done already, but refining it.

You want Crysis 2.0 instead of a good game. It's a tragedy that a game like Shadowrun was shunned when all you guys get on here and when people mention Halo or COD you say (ZOMGZ THOSE GAEMZ TAYKE NO SK1LL!!!) but then when a game does take skill, only it doesn't look as great as other games, it's ignored.

Or any other game that's fun but gets ignored because it's not Crysis Jr or Gears of War 2 Jr. (Piece of s*** game that is beyond flawed but has a fanbase because it's pretty)

Stop crying. You guys are the ones destroying the industry. Most of you probably didn't even buy a GameCube so you weren't supporting Nintendo in the first place yet you're the same people crying about how they sold out. What else did you expect them to do? Try to cater to a crowd that wasn't acknowledging them? They saw what happened to Sega.

Now you complain games are too easy. Gee, I wonder why. Maybe because you want all this other unnecessary s*** so devs don't have the time to do what actually matters.

Avatar image for xnacommunityxna
xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xnacommunityxna
Member since 2009 • 406 Posts

MMM maybe but more in the sense of the way nintendo has gone... think of nintendo before 03 wind waker, pikmin, super mario 64, ocorina of time, rare was with them..... the list goes on. after 03 really what STELLAR games has nintendo produced

POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
Is that why the industry is making more money now than ever???
Catpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Catpee

FloWeN-UK

Yeah, we are all in denial. I mean:

Verses

Who would EVER want to play that second game when the first one is obviously so much more immersive and deep....[/sarcasm]

You nostalgic people kill me. Talk about denial.....