12% of people are unable to see 3D

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrmcygan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mrmcygan
Member since 2010 • 882 Posts

"3-D technology relies on our eyes' ability to work together as a co-ordinated team to achieve an accurate perception of depth.

"However, more than one in ten of us (12%) has a visual impairment that means our brains are unable to correctly process the individual images that are transmitted to it via our left and right eyes."

"This leads to an inconsistency in viewing the three spatial dimensions (height, width and depth) required to enjoy 3-D films in all their glory."

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/07/13/12-of-brits-may-be-unable-to-see-3d/

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#2 bowlingotter
Member since 2005 • 6464 Posts

I'll remember this thread when the 3DS is breaking handheld sales records.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

as many as 12% of Brits (amounting to roughly six million people)

At least get that part right.

POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts

HAHA that sucks for that 12% to find out there eyes can not adjust to 3d graphics...and the worst part they had to spend 30.00 on a ticket to find out.:P

YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YuriSH
Member since 2010 • 1803 Posts
Didn't stop billions of people from watching Avatar lol.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

And *insert made up number*% of people cannot hold a controller because of an impairment, yet video gaming has survived :o. So what are these 12% missing an eye or something?

Wardemon50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wardemon50
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts

This could really hurt sales for both

"3-D technology relies on our eyes' ability to work together as a co-ordinated team to achieve an accurate perception of depth.

"However, more than one in ten of us (12%) has a visual impairment that means our brains are unable to correctly process the individual images that are transmitted to it via our left and right eyes."

"This leads to an inconsistency in viewing the three spatial dimensions (height, width and depth) required to enjoy 3-D films in all their glory."

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/07/13/12-of-brits-may-be-unable-to-see-3d/

mrmcygan
You can turn off the 3D effects if need be
mrmcygan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrmcygan

Didn't stop billions of people from watching Avatar lol.YuriSH

There was a non-3D version of Avatar

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

HAHA that sucks for that 12% to find out there eyes can not adjust to 3d graphics...and the worst part they had to spend 30.00 on a ticket to find out.:P

POPEYE1716

$30 a ticket? What, are there theaters that give you a haircut with your 3D movie that I don't know about, because I paid $7.50 to see Avatar in 3D.

And here's a tip: why not try a 3D tv demo at a retail electronics store and then determine if you and your family can use the TV before buying one? Just a suggestion.

Rev3nger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rev3nger
Member since 2006 • 1127 Posts

Cherokee_Jack
There's no reason to assume british people process images worse than the rest of the world, so 12% of Brits should translate to 12% of the world population, roughly.
YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 YuriSH

[QUOTE="YuriSH"]Didn't stop billions of people from watching Avatar lol.mrmcygan

Oh, You don't know 3D is optional for all those systems you named?
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
I'm sure there will be more reasons to own a 3DS than just the 3D effect.
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bowlingotter

[QUOTE="YuriSH"]Didn't stop billions of people from watching Avatar lol.mrmcygan

Just like there's non-3D versions of all video games right now. Irrelevant because billions of people watched the 3D version, hence the onslaught of 3D movies lately. If it wasn't successful, there would be no bandwagon to jump on.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
[QUOTE="Rev3nger"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

There's no reason to assume british people process images worse than the rest of the world, so 12% of Brits should translate to 12% of the world population, roughly.

No, actually Brits have worse vision because of their substandard healthcare. (KIDDING! I'd kill for their healthcare. :P)
mrmcygan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrmcygan

[QUOTE="mrmcygan"]

[QUOTE="YuriSH"]Didn't stop billions of people from watching Avatar lol.YuriSH

I know that, its just that 3D is the main selling point for the 3DS. So if you are unable to see 3D you will most likely not buy the 3DS!

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

I think you meant 12% of Brits.

mrmcygan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrmcygan

I think you meant 12% of Brits.

Silverbond

It would most likely be the same for the rest of the world.

YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 YuriSH

[QUOTE="YuriSH"][QUOTE="mrmcygan"]

mrmcygan

I know that, its just that 3D is the main selling point for the 3DS. So if you are unable to see 3D you will most likely not buy the 3DS!

Main selling point for avatar was that it has amazing visuals and 3D. 12% of people couldn't see 3D and once again didn't stop it from making so much money
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10143 Posts

Not bad for the 3DS because you can turn the 3D effect off, meaning that games wouldn't require you to use 3D.

kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

The 3D effect is the main 3DS selling point, not the only one though.

This won't affect sales at all, those guys will buy it for the games and the inevitable virtual handheld!

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
I'm one of them :(
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

I'm one of them as well.

Without the need for glasses it would be ok.

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

The full, original article byThe Eyecare Trust...

Are the latest 3-D blockbusters like Avatar and Alice in Wonderland an amazing cinematic experience or just one big headache?

If you've experienced visual discomfort or headaches whilst watching a 3-D movie then you're not alone. You could be one of six million people in the UK who suffer from poor binocular vision.

3-D technology relies on our eyes' ability to work together as a co-ordinated team to achieve an accurate perception of depth.

However, more than one in ten of us (12%) has a visual impairment that means our brains are unable to correctly process the individual images that are transmitted to it via our left and right eyes.

This leads to an inconsistency in viewing the three spatial dimensions (height, width and depth) required to enjoy 3-D films in all their glory.

You may not have realised that you have poor binocular vision before because your brain will often try to compensate for any visual inadequacies.

If left untreated binocular disorders such as amblyopia can affect your ability to read well and result in a greater propensity to suffer from screen fatigue when working at a VDU or watching TV for long periods of time.

The good news however is that binocular conditions can be easily detected during a routine eye examination and treatment may be as simple as a new pair of glasses or some vision therapy.

So, if you haven't had your eyes checked for two years or more then it could be time to pop along to your local optician for a sight test.

The Eyecare Trust

I don't really see what's there to worry about. To my understanding, that 12% figure encompasses both those who have their vision corrected through some means (e.g glasses) and those who don't.

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bowlingotter

mrmcygan

Again... Those 12% of people didn't keep 3D movies from being a ridiculous craze. You really don't expect gaming to follow suit especially in the form of an affordable device like the 3DS? The PS3 3D movement may or may not do well at first, but it will be because not enough people will own 3D TVs, not because of the 12% of people you mentioned. The 3DS, on the other hand, is self-contained 3D without the need for glasses, and also boasts PS2-like power in a handheld, along with the reputation of excellent games that Nintendo handhelds have garnered. People who can't see 3D and who like to play handheld games will still buy a 3DS. Especially those who enjoyed the original DS. If 3D was the only selling point for the system, it wouldn't sell anyway.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cherokee_Jack
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

Rev3nger

Still, it shows that the survey was very limited. As most surveys are. And even if this figure is accurate, this isn't any big revelation. This isn't 12% of people who are potential customers for 3D movies or 3D gaming, it's 12% of the population, and like someone else said there are tons of people who can't use controllers...
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
Yes it really hurt the Avatar movie. You do realize they don't need 100% of the population to buy their stuff to make a profit right?
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cherokee_Jack
I know that, its just that 3D is the main selling point for the 3DS. So if you are unable to see 3D you will most likely not buy the 3DS!mrmcygan
Really, now? Could you possibly be more obvious?
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

And *insert made up number*% of people cannot hold a controller because of an impairment, yet video gaming has survived :o. So what are these 12% missing an eye or something?

SapSacPrime

Missing an eye, or have partial or total blindness in one eye, or any one of a handful of other conditions that lead to them not being able to put the two images together. In my case, I have a blindspot in the center of my right eye. I wouldn't say that it's "bad news" for PS3 and 3ds, really, I just don't see why people are making such a big deal over something that makes 0 difference in the actual gameplay. Applying a stereoscopic 3d visual effect to games is not anywhere near as huge a deal as actually going from 2d (super Mario Bros) to 3d (Mario 64) games.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Considering the slow adoption rates this'll likely have, I doubt the number will be a huge factor.

mrmcygan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrmcygan

[QUOTE="mrmcygan"]

[QUOTE="YuriSH"] Oh, You don't know 3D is optional for all those systems you named?YuriSH

Main selling point for avatar was that it has amazing visuals and 3D. 12% of people couldn't see 3D and once again didn't stop it from making so much money

I disagree, the main selling point of Avatar was not 3D, infact the 3D in Avatar was not that good. The main selling point of Avatar was the great plot and the movie itself.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cherokee_Jack
Applying a stereoscopic 3d visual effect to games is not anywhere near as huge a deal as actually going from 2d (super Mario Bros) to 3d (Mario 64) games.ianuilliam
When has anyone said that besides over-eager marketing types? Setting aside the fact that it will have some sort of impact on gameplay (gimmicky or not), it's just a cool effect that has a certain novelty to it. That's all people are excited about (and I'd wager that most people are more excited about the more powerful hardware than the 3D itself).
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Snagal123

I disagree, the main selling point of Avatar was not 3D, infact the 3D in Avatar was not that good. The main selling point of Avatar was the great plot and the movie itself.

mrmcygan

It was one of most cliche unoriginal plots ive ever seen.

Its selling point was its 3D. Not its plot, characters, acting, dialogue or any other of the things which actually make a good film.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
I hate 3d with a passion. If 3d becomes standard and games build to cater it then I will probably not be here next gen.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cherokee_Jack
I disagree, the main selling point of Avatar was not 3D, infact the 3D in Avatar was not that good. The main selling point of Avatar was the great plot and the movie itself.mrmcygan
So what you're saying is that the 3DS won't have games that people will want to play because it also has 3D? lol
YuriSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 YuriSH

mrmcygan

I hope you are kidding about great plot.
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Snagal123

It's the Brits...they drink a lot.

Locutus_Picard

LIES! :)

mrmcygan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mrmcygan

[QUOTE="mrmcygan"]

[QUOTE="YuriSH"] Main selling point for avatar was that it has amazing visuals and 3D. 12% of people couldn't see 3D and once again didn't stop it from making so much moneyYuriSH

I hope you are kidding about great plot.

Ya I was, Avatar was a Ok movie(Terminater Salvation was better) and once I think about it the only reason why I saw it was because my friends were going.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

I'm actually quite amazed I'm not a part of that 12%, seeing as I'm:

-Legally blind

-Failed the military depth perception test

-Have Virteous floaters in both eyes

Yeah, can you believe the military lets me shoot guns, and that I'm pretty damn good with them?

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

3DS is Nintendo's next generation handheld. Perhaps a few people will be disappointed, but honestly it will sell with or without 3D.

The real issue is with 3DTVs. Can you imagine spending thousands of dollars only to find out you can't see the effect? Still even if that 12% figure is accurate, it leaves 88% of the population as a potential audience.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

8-10% of the population are colourblind.

I guess that's the real reason why so many games are brown or grey.

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

I guess my brother is one of those 12% as he could never see the effect in 3D movies. Looks like he won't be fighting me to play the 3DS :P

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cherokee_Jack
Can you imagine spending thousands of dollars only to find out you can't see the effect?ThePlothole
I can't imagine anyone being that stupid.... Just go to the Best Buy or a 3D movie before you buy one, for God's sakes.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

See... that's the funny thing about 3D. It has never actually been anything but a gimmick for everything its ever been involved with. Hell, back when stereoscopy was first discovered, it was seen as a "cool new thing" and now here, over 150 years later, its still seen as a "cool new thing" despite being incredibly old and merely a trick of the brain. I can see stereoscopic images quite well, and can see how many people think its "cool" but I don't see anything long-lasting or beneficial coming from the massive movement towards integrating it into everything. Its just an optical illusion that makes you go "WOAH!" when the picture pops out at you... only true virtual reality is actually going to move gaming forwards.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

That 12% has more problems than being able to see games or movies in 3-D, they probably can't even drive safely.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12067 Posts

I'm actually quite amazed I'm not a part of that 12%, seeing as I'm:

-Legally blind

-Failed the military depth perception test

-Have Virteous floaters in both eyes

Yeah, can you believe the military lets me shoot guns, and that I'm pretty damn good with them?

-TheSecondSign-

Your sig is awesome.

Thanks for your service Marine.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Can't ignore the 88% though. :P

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Won't somebody think of the cyclopes?

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
I dont know if the 3DS will work for me because im half blind :( I know the regular glasses 3D doesnt, wasting money on avatar 3D IMAX proved this to me LOL