Your Opinion on Why the First Final Fantasy was a Success?

taiwanesealn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 taiwanesealn
Member since 2005 • 6853 Posts

As you all know, Square Enix was on the verge of bankruptcy back awhile in 1987. Their savior was Final Fantasy I, which was named that because it was actually their Final attempt to get back into business. What do you think the game had to get Square Enix attention it needed?

I think that one of the biggest part of their success was from Nobuo Uematsu. They had very limited equipment, and for Uematsu to be able to create such a moving theme song was genius.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
The theme songs was definalty clutch..but it did someting that nothing had before it..it created a real RPG on a videogame system...every pencil and paper RPGer ran out and grabbed it......not to mention those looking for a good story...as it was pretty freking complex for the time....
kingdom09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 kingdom09
Member since 2005 • 53071 Posts
Yeah, too bad I was way too young to get the game back then when it first came out, but I am glad to get it a here not too long ago with that FF I&II: Dawn of Souls thing. 
Avatar image for XIIAxelCrossIIX
XIIAxelCrossIIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 XIIAxelCrossIIX
Member since 2005 • 1115 Posts
Honestly, it may sound extremely cheesy, but I believe Square-Enix (Squaresoft back then) was just meant to become an RPG giant, it was meant to be. Also, with the help of Mr. Uematsu, they pulled together and made an extremely complex, deep, fun, not to mention most non-linear and biggest game of all time (for back then, anyway). Literally the definition of the word "RPG" is Final Fantasy, and this game made that. I really don't think there was an actual genre of RPG before Final Fantasy, I think people just called it an Adventure game, but Squre-Enix made that.
GreatMno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 GreatMno
Member since 2004 • 2601 Posts
How about the fact that it was absolutely fantastic?
But seriously, this game went ina direction that was almost a sure dead end if not done right, and they managed to pull it out their rear. Everything was perfect for make this game an instant multi-million seller.
jared_bell08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jared_bell08
Member since 2004 • 28 Posts
I never actually played through the whole thing so I dont know the whole story...but for the nintendo that was a stellar game when most games just involved jumping/moving from A to B while doing something. Even in the early parts it was complex and intriguing, but I ended up moving on to later FFs like 3, 4 and 6, b/c I got really mad about how often you missed early on.  O and the music was pretty good for nintendo
OGEpisodes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 OGEpisodes
Member since 2003 • 2543 Posts
Simply because it was a great game and one of the first pure RPGs on the market and this genre appealed to people in the masses. I don't really know what else I can say!
MasterC2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 MasterC2009
Member since 2005 • 690 Posts
Because of its originality.  I think they finally stopped sniffing their permanent markers and got in the game.  They put their heads together, and they did a NICE job.   No type of game was out like that.  Blew minds.
Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Greatgone12
Member since 2005 • 25469 Posts

As you all know, Square Enix was on the verge of bankruptcy back awhile in 1987. Their savior was Final Fantasy I, which was named that because it was actually their Final attempt to get back into business. What do you think the game had to get Square Enix attention it needed?

I think that one of the biggest part of their success was from Nobuo Uematsu. They had very limited equipment, and for Uematsu to be able to create such a moving theme song was genius.

taiwanesealn

Final Fantasy had never been done before. Sure there were RPGs, but the closest thing to Final Fantasy was probably Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest was good, but it left gamers wanting more, for some reason or the other... So then Square releases FF. It was great. The memorable theme song (which is amazing to this day...), the gameplay was much more organized, the battle had much more depth than Dragon Quest or any other RPG at that time, the story was great for that time and to top it all off it was fairly long for then. It was just a revolutionary piece of work, and it's amazing Square has kept it going this long...
mort2fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 105

#10 mort2fire
Member since 2005 • 407 Posts

To be honest, i never knew that was the reason why they had to make a final fantasy due to there last attempt in saving themselves.

Guess i learn new things everyday. Thanks for the info.

All the FF games ive played have been highly intresting, but i still cant wait for the re-make of Final Fantasy 7 for the PS3.

clement1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clement1212
Member since 2005 • 649 Posts
did u watch 'icons' episode on how ff1 was the success or did u really do research?

taiwanesealn
clement1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clement1212
Member since 2005 • 649 Posts
anyway, i think its cos dragon quest failed to deliver gamer's desires and when ff1 was released, it was everything RPG gamers could hope for at the time, and that made it pretty damn awesome.=D
taiwanesealn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 taiwanesealn
Member since 2005 • 6853 Posts
did u watch 'icons' episode on how ff1 was the success or did u really do research?[QUOTE="taiwanesealn"]

clement1212

This is two days late, but it can't hurt to answer ;)

I did not see the Icons episode for this because I pretty much already knew all of the information I said there. First paragraph is facts, second is my opinion. I'm a sucker for good music :D