What Square Enix game are you currently playing?

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#151 IpodHero176
Member since 2006 • 16952 Posts

I just started playing Dawn of Mana yesterday..crushgoil

How is it?

crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#152 crushgoil
Member since 2006 • 2554 Posts

[QUOTE="crushgoil"]I just started playing Dawn of Mana yesterday..IpodHero176

How is it?

Pretty cool graphics, okay story, bad controls and camera.

tabian00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#153 tabian00
Member since 2004 • 157 Posts
So far I have no problems with Dawn of Mana. As long as you don't mind repetedly scouring the world for things to hurl at foes then it is an ok game. I just got to chapter 3 so I have no real strong opinions about the story, only that it seems pretty cookie cutter right now (no twists yet). I do recommend to rent first because this is a very niche game.
effkay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 effkay
Member since 2005 • 135 Posts

Despite the crappy rating Dawn of Mana got, I still want to play it.

It'll be a while before I get it though. I'm working my way through Dragon Quest VIII right now. My first time out of the village, I got wiped out, and was a little apprehensive about playing it again for a while. The hubby pursuaded me to give another try, and now I've reached the third town and gotten up to level 11. It's fun. The controls take a little getting used to because the layout is a little different from FF, but it's not bad.

That does lead me to a bit of a complaint though: why do control schemes differ so much between SE games? That's so annoying. I spend a while playing KH2, then I switch to FFXII or DQVIII, and I don't know what the heck I'm doing with the controls. I know that there are some things that differ from game to game, but some basic stuff is the same.

(This rant is sponsored by a Mac owner. Apple requires companies that create software for their computers to all have the same basic keyboard shortcuts. This makes sense.) 

Avatar image for queen_valentine
queen_valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 queen_valentine
Member since 2004 • 5870 Posts

Maybe it's because if they did always use the same controls for all their games reviewers would bash it. "Where's the originality" they would say, "I am playing KH but feel like I'm playing Final Fantasy."

Actually, I don't know, totally guessing here. :D :oops: 

effkay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 effkay

And for all that, you're probably right. But to SE I say that if that's the case, I'm willing to risk it, just so that I'm not getting my butt handed to me for the first five or ten minutes when I make the switch back to KH after playing FF for a month. Or, like with Dragon Quest, constantly hitting the select button for the world map (you know, like in FFXII) and getting the inventory. Just...frustrating.

But that still would make much sense, because KH has cure, cura and curaja and stuff like that, just like FF games. And there's moogles everywhere!  

Oh well. I might just be enjoying complaining about it. :D I wonder how much different the control scheme is in Dawn of Mana...anybody want to fill us in? 

queen_valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 queen_valentine

And for all that, you're probably right. But to SE I say that if that's the case, I'm willing to risk it, just so that I'm not getting my butt handed to me for the first five or ten minutes when I make the switch back to KH after playing FF for a month. Or, like with Dragon Quest, constantly hitting the select button for the world map (you know, like in FFXII) and getting the inventory. Just...frustrating.

But that still would make much sense, because KH has cure, cura and curaja and stuff like that, just like FF games. And there's moogles everywhere!

Oh well. I might just be enjoying complaining about it. :D I wonder how much different the control scheme is in Dawn of Mana...anybody want to fill us in?

effkay

Yes, VERY frustrating thing - when you hit a certain button that you think will do a certain action, and you get something completely different.

Nothin' wrong with Moogles! :) 

Avatar image for michelle_moraes
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#158 michelle_moraes
Member since 2005 • 4198 Posts

~Ressurecting topic~

:lol:

I'm playing Heroes of Mana, but I'm really frustrated with the controls. So now I'm actually doing something interesting... replaying FFVII to remember the details of the storyline... :lol:

crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 crushgoil
I got frustrated with Heroes of Mana too.. but I'm still playing FF2 psp..
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 michelle_moraes

I got frustrated with Heroes of Mana too.. but I'm still playing FF2 psp..crushgoil

Yeah, they should have written on the game box: If you are left-handed, forget it!

About the FFII, how's it coming? Are you near the end of the game, or going through the bonus stuff?

crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 crushgoil

[QUOTE="crushgoil"]I got frustrated with Heroes of Mana too.. but I'm still playing FF2 psp..michelle_moraes

Yeah, they should have written on the game box: If you are left-handed, forget it!

About the FFII, how's it coming? Are you near the end of the game, or going through the bonus stuff?

It's going well.. but it's driving me nuts not to have a map.. so I've ordered the strat guide hoping it contains one. I end up sailing around forever trying to find the town I wanted.

michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 michelle_moraes
[QUOTE="michelle_moraes"]

[QUOTE="crushgoil"]I got frustrated with Heroes of Mana too.. but I'm still playing FF2 psp..crushgoil

It's going well.. but it's driving me nuts not to have a map.. so I've ordered the strat guide hoping it contains one. I end up sailing around forever trying to find the town I wanted.

Yeah, I had this problem too! (even with FFI as well). My brother got the guides too because of that... :lol:

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
I'm in the FFXII crowd..still collecting junk to make a tournsoul and i still have another couple hunts until i'll call the game quits, but it has been an enjoyable experience.
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 michelle_moraes

I'm in the FFXII crowd..still collecting junk to make a tournsoul and i still have another couple hunts until i'll call the game quits, but it has been an enjoyable experience.N8A

My brother is beat the game last weekend, and now he is playing it AGAIN to complete 100%! That's crazy :P

oathkeeper_kh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 oathkeeper_kh
Member since 2005 • 416 Posts

I was playing FF XII but lost all intrest, so now I'm playing VP 2 and Dragon Quest VIII. I started DQ VIII awhile back and decided to pick it back up my only complaint is the game's music to me it's absolute murder. If I'm playing the game and laying on the couch I'll find myself asleep in no time weather it be in the middle of a battle or just walking to get to the next town. Other than that I like the game alot.

kryu88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#166 kryu88
Member since 2006 • 9301 Posts
Hmm, right now? None :P I was playing Xenogears, but I've gotta get a Mem card adapter so I can transfer my PS1 mem card data over to my PS3 so I don't have to start all overagain (I'm on my 2nd playthrough) I just want to continue on with my current game.
queen_valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 queen_valentine

I'm in the FFXII crowd..still collecting junk to make a tournsoul and i still have another couple hunts until i'll call the game quits, but it has been an enjoyable experience.N8A

Ah, me too! :) I got really overwhelmed with the Henne Mines though (looking for Zodiark) and got sick of the Subterra at the Pharos so I went on to finish the real minor sidequests. I just love this game so much! :D

S_Jake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 S_Jake
Member since 2004 • 1502 Posts

Hmm, right now? None :P I was playing Xenogears, but I've gotta get a Mem card adapter so I can transfer my PS1 mem card data over to my PS3 so I don't have to start all overagain (I'm on my 2nd playthrough) I just want to continue on with my current game. kryu88

:lol: I'm not playing any right now either. The last one I played was probably Actraiser.

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 N8A
Well Actraiser cetainly is a good time.  Were you playing on a Wii or on the SNES?
S_Jake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 S_Jake

Well Actraiser cetainly is a good time. Were you playing on a Wii or on the SNES?N8A

:lol: I'm surprised that anyone here remembers it. :D

My SNES bit the dust a long time ago, I'm afraid, so it's the Wii VC version. :)

Andraxal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#171 Andraxal
Member since 2006 • 1814 Posts
Hmmm. I'm playing KH, and I'm in Beast's Castle at the moment. :D Just got done with the Hercules world.
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 N8A
Not only do i still remember it I actually palyed through it 2 months ago while I was stalling on opening my version of FFXII. I had just beat FFV and FFVI, so I wasn;t sure I was ready to start up another FF, so I played Actraiser.
Andraxal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Andraxal
Never heard of the game you guys are talking about....fill me in please? :(
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 michelle_moraes

Hmm, right now? None :P I was playing Xenogears, but I've gotta get a Mem card adapter so I can transfer my PS1 mem card data over to my PS3 so I don't have to start all overagain (I'm on my 2nd playthrough) I just want to continue on with my current game. kryu88

I have played Xenogears so many times that I lost track. That game is just brilliant, definitely the most intrincate storyline ever, with such depth that it is almost not just a "game". Despite the second disc, it is still a masterpiece that collects from philosophy, arts, religion, technology, and so much more! And even having played it so much, you can never fully grasp everything it has to offer.

Yuna, you won't believe me but guess what I started playing.... Kingdom Hearts! XD

Now I'll now what you guys talk about this game! :lol:

kryu88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 kryu88
Last night I actually started another game of Vagrant Story :P I'm still amazed at how great the characters look and are designed. For a PS1 game, the graphics are awesome and I still question as to why Sydney doesn't where a shirt......
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 N8A
Kuja: Are you still playing Jeanne D'Arc? I was planning on picking that up when i got FFT, but i was wondering what you think about it.
crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 crushgoil

[QUOTE="kryu88"]Hmm, right now? None :P I was playing Xenogears, but I've gotta get a Mem card adapter so I can transfer my PS1 mem card data over to my PS3 so I don't have to start all overagain (I'm on my 2nd playthrough) I just want to continue on with my current game. michelle_moraes

I have played Xenogears so many times that I lost track. That game is just brilliant, definitely the most intrincate storyline ever, with such depth that it is almost not just a "game". Despite the second disc, it is still a masterpiece that collects from philosophy, arts, religion, technology, and so much more! And even having played it so much, you can never fully grasp everything it has to offer.

Yuna, you won't believe me but guess what I started playing.... Kingdom Hearts! XD

Now I'll now what you guys talk about this game! :lol:

awesome!!!! Now I just have to hope that you fall in love with it like I did..!

michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 michelle_moraes
Hhahaha! I laugh a lot with that game. The funniest line so far is Goofy telling Donald something like "we have to protect the world border!" and Donald replies: "it is world ORDER!". Hhahahahaha! :lol:
S_Jake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 S_Jake

Never heard of the game you guys are talking about....fill me in please? :( Andraxal

Actraiser was an early SNES title by Enix. The main character was a god who was trying to defeat an evil demon lord, but he had to rebuild the people's faith in him in order to become more powerful. The game encompassed a series of platform beat 'em up levels that were punctuated with "Simulation" levels.

In the platform levels, you controlled the god in order to defeat the demon at the end of the level. Doing this either opened up a town for you to rebuild, or defeated a demon that was plaguing the people and preventing the town from growing any further. In the "Simulation" levels, you had to rebuild the town, thereby restoring the people's faith in you.

The most memorable aspect is definitely the musical score, which was incredibly good for a SNES game, especially one that was so early. In fact, the music was so good that it was reused in Actraiser 2 (which was a very disappointing sequel). The visuals have aged considerably since the game's release (~1990), though it should be remembered that they were good at the time.

The game is actually much more straightforward than it sounds, but it's not an easy game to explain concisely because of the two distinct genre-types and the game's unusual nature. If you have a Wii VC, it's definitely one of the better games to download. :)

Pros:Simple and fun gameplay. Strong level designs that were varied and ambitious. The musical score is quite outstanding.

Cons:Has aged considerably since it's original release. Can be frustrating. Lacks replay value.

S_Jake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 S_Jake

Last night I actually started another game of Vagrant Story :P I'm still amazed at how great the characters look and are designed. For a PS1 game, the graphics are awesome and I still question as to why Sydney doesn't where a shirt......kryu88

:lol: I really wanted to replay this recently, but I couldn't find the memory card with my old file on it. Given the fact that I was on my eighth or ninth playthrough, I really couldn't face starting from scratch again. :(

Andraxal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Andraxal
I'm now play KH2 and I'm stuck on the freakin Demyx fight. He's such a fighter for being such a wuss. -_-; "Dance Water, Dance!!" gets me every time, I die more that way than actually being beaten to death. Anyone know an easy way to beat him? If there is? Without super power leveling, cheating, ect.
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 michelle_moraes

You are playing KH2? Cool! I'm still on the first game. I like how the game is so light-hearted, and I just love the characters...

As for Vagrant Story, I still can't find it for a decent price.... :(

Andraxal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Andraxal

I never got a chance to play it, and I'd never use a ROM, EVER!!! Yeah you know who I'm talking to Mister!

I'm now stuck on Xaldin for the moment. -_-; The Organization 13 battles are quite fun, would you like a really cool video?

Moogleman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Moogleman23
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
I am currently playing FF12 and I am thinking of starting FFX-2 again, I still haven't finished it.
queen_valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 queen_valentine

I am currently playing FF12 and I am thinking of starting FFX-2 again, I still haven't finished it.Moogleman23

FF12! Nice! I love that game! I too am playing it! I'm just trying to finish up all the sidequests. Did you like FF12?

oathkeeper_kh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 oathkeeper_kh
I just put KH II back in the PS2, so I'm now playing DQ VIII, VP 2 and now KH II for the second time. It's been so long since I played that game I forgot how to swicth worlds but after a few mins of racking my brain I was like go to the save point and change worlds idiot,lol but it's all good now.
crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 crushgoil

I just put KH II back in the PS2, so I'm now playing DQ VIII, VP 2 and now KH II for the second time. It's been so long since I played that game I forgot how to swicth worlds but after a few mins of racking my brain I was like go to the save point and change worlds idiot,lol but it's all good now.oathkeeper_kh

Nice. I'm thinking about picking up KH2 and trying again to beat Sephiroth... and I'm also playing DQ VIII.

I love your Roxas animated image by the way!

oathkeeper_kh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 oathkeeper_kh

[QUOTE="oathkeeper_kh"]I just put KH II back in the PS2, so I'm now playing DQ VIII, VP 2 and now KH II for the second time. It's been so long since I played that game I forgot how to swicth worlds but after a few mins of racking my brain I was like go to the save point and change worlds idiot,lol but it's all good now.crushgoil

Nice. I'm thinking about picking up KH2 and trying again to beat Sephiroth... and I'm also playing DQ VIII.

Thanks Yuna !!! Yeah that was one of the reason's I picked it back up and to complete all the mini games to get the secrect ending.

kryu88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 kryu88
[QUOTE="crushgoil"]

[QUOTE="oathkeeper_kh"]I just put KH II back in the PS2, so I'm now playing DQ VIII, VP 2 and now KH II for the second time. It's been so long since I played that game I forgot how to swicth worlds but after a few mins of racking my brain I was like go to the save point and change worlds idiot,lol but it's all good now.oathkeeper_kh

Thanks Yuna !!! Yeah that was one of the reason's I picked it back up and to complete all the mini games to get the secrect ending.

Secret Ending? http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/05/05 *warning, some language*

S_Jake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 S_Jake

I never got a chance to play it, and I'd never use a ROM, EVER!!! Yeah you know who I'm talking to Mister!

I'm now stuck on Xaldin for the moment. -_-; The Organization 13 battles are quite fun, would you like a really cool video?

Andraxal

If you're talking to me then I own a genuine copy of Vagrant Story; I'm one of those who bought it on release. I'd still have all my SNES games, but some were stolen when my friend's house got burgled and the rest were lost in a fire.

kryu88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 kryu88
[QUOTE="Andraxal"]

S_Jake

If you're talking to me then I own a genuine copy of Vagrant Story; I'm one of those who bought it on release. I'd still have all my SNES games, but some were stolen when my friend's house got burgled and the rest were lost in a fire.

I've got a genuine copy of VS as well, didn't get it at launch, had to get it on Amazon :P

Stuck on a battle in KH2? :| I found KH2....too easy, the only fight where I died was against Sephy and he is the games uber boss. I found the Organization 13 members to be kind of push overs.

oathkeeper_kh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 oathkeeper_kh
[QUOTE="oathkeeper_kh"][QUOTE="crushgoil"]

[QUOTE="oathkeeper_kh"]I just put KH II back in the PS2, so I'm now playing DQ VIII, VP 2 and now KH II for the second time. It's been so long since I played that game I forgot how to swicth worlds but after a few mins of racking my brain I was like go to the save point and change worlds idiot,lol but it's all good now.kryu88

Secret Ending? http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/05/05 *warning, some language*

Hahaha that's pretty funny but you know I kinda feel the same way , some of that stuff you have to do to complete that stupid journal is freaking ridiculous.

kryu88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 kryu88
[QUOTE="kryu88"][QUOTE="oathkeeper_kh"][QUOTE="crushgoil"]

[QUOTE="oathkeeper_kh"]I just put KH II back in the PS2, so I'm now playing DQ VIII, VP 2 and now KH II for the second time. It's been so long since I played that game I forgot how to swicth worlds but after a few mins of racking my brain I was like go to the save point and change worlds idiot,lol but it's all good now.oathkeeper_kh

Hahaha that's pretty funny but you know I kinda feel the same way , some of that stuff you have to do to complete that stupid journal is freaking ridiculous.

Penny-Arcade is hilarious, I especially like their FFXII one http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/09/07 :lol: There was also one where it had Tidus talking to the guy from LoTR The Third Age, it was pretty funny, but I don't remember where it was on their site :(

oathkeeper_kh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 oathkeeper_kh

Andraxal

Is that the one in Beast's Castle ? If so he was a pain for me. The only way I beat him was using the trianglr button when it would flash up and using the limit thing with King Mickey.

oathkeeper_kh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 oathkeeper_kh
[QUOTE="oathkeeper_kh"][QUOTE="kryu88"][QUOTE="oathkeeper_kh"][QUOTE="crushgoil"]

[QUOTE="oathkeeper_kh"]I just put KH II back in the PS2, so I'm now playing DQ VIII, VP 2 and now KH II for the second time. It's been so long since I played that game I forgot how to swicth worlds but after a few mins of racking my brain I was like go to the save point and change worlds idiot,lol but it's all good now.kryu88

Penny-Arcade is hilarious, I especially like their FFXII one http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/09/07 :lol: There was also one where it had Tidus talking to the guy from LoTR The Third Age, it was pretty funny, but I don't remember where it was on their site :(

Yeah I totally agree. I think that was one of the reason's I quit playing FFXII.

starnerd67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#197 starnerd67
Member since 2003 • 601 Posts

Yeah I totally agree. I think that was one of the reason's I quit playing FFXII.

oathkeeper_kh

I think thats the reason why at time my mom found me sleeping on my chair and ffxii was running on the TV
(lol seriously this happened twice caus ei was lvl grinding and i just fell asleep cause the gambits did all the work) ahahah
Andraxal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Andraxal

I'm still playing KH2 and nearly done with it. :) Next I'm going to probably replay FFIV or FFVII as I haven't played those in the longest time. The last Final Fantasy I had beat was FFXII and FFTA. Wow any one else notice how monotone Xaldin is?

kryu88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 kryu88
[QUOTE="oathkeeper_kh"]

starnerd67

I think thats the reason why at time my mom found me sleeping on my chair and ffxii was running on the TV
(lol seriously this happened twice caus ei was lvl grinding and i just fell asleep cause the gambits did all the work) ahahah

:lol: That happened to me recently with Jeanne D'Arc, I fell asleep a couple times during powerleveling battles :P

effkay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 effkay

I'm playing through FFXII a second time. I really like the gambits, and I'm much better with them the second time around. I'm still poking through DQVIII (I'm not sure where to go next!), and I'm hitting at Star Ocean here and there. I'm about 3 hours in, I'm not sure what to do next, and I'm still not totally sure if I like it.

Is anyone else feeling ambivalent about Star Ocean?