UEFA Champions League Final: Manchester United vs. Barcelona Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Didn't see any thread for this game, so I decided to start one. Who do you guys got winning? I'm placing my bets on Machester United.

strider_ATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 strider_ATI
Member since 2008 • 735 Posts
I hope Barcelona win, I don't want the Man Utd fans bragging :" We won 4 titles, We are the best, bla bla bla..."
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
I got Manchester United winning this one
mvphalo8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 mvphalo8
Member since 2005 • 10748 Posts

Well Samuel Eto'o's scores in the 10th minute Barca leading 1-0.

Messi then shortly missed a 16 yard shot that could have made it 2-0.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

The momentum is all on Barcelona's side right now.

Olympusmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Olympusmaster
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I want Man U to win for England but if they were against another team from England (any team) I would no doubt vote for the other one!!!! Who's with me?
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

As soon as it's a team from England, I'm rooting for the opposite side.

And it's Barça, so I'm doubly rooting for Barça. And I was correct.

Oh, and I made a thread after the Semi-Finals but it got lost amongst the NBA playoffs threads.

Ithiliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ithiliel
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Visca el Barça!!

It's been amazing. I live in a small town in North-western Spain, about 900 km away from Barcelona, and several bars in the surroundings have started throwing fireworks. I bet many people will go (if they go) to work tomorrow with a terrible hangover :D

kiddoom93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 kiddoom93
Member since 2006 • 838 Posts

man u werent up to the challenge to the now greatest team in the world im not saying there werent the greatest but it has been confirmed tonight and also has been confirmed that messi is better than ronaldo it was proved in that game just look it again messi was playing for to show they are the best in the world but imo ronaldo was only playing for himself everytime he had the ball he would have a shot would never get back and defend but messi would rather play the pass to help his team would get back and defend and he would drop into midfield if needed barca reserve defence totaly outclassed man u defence which suprised me but credit to them fergusons team selection was all wrong should have started tevez dropped giggs played park in the middle of the park and played rooney in the central part pep guardiola got his tactics spot on he is still a young manager and has a lot to learn but with that tonight he could become something special

now on to the goals great pass from the man of the match imo inestia to eto'o vidic was beaten too easy and van der sar had no chace for then on him

messi's goal was a wonderful header from probably going to become the greatest player ever ahead of marradona and pele there i said but terrible defending again from man u 3 white shirts in the box 1 barca great ball from the other maestro of the barca midfiel xavi and messi plats a free header over van der sar and barca finish the job well done to barcelona tottaly deserved and dont be suprised now if ronaldo goes to real

but the only downside it was puyol and his diving i know this happens all the time but he was the only man on the park that dved the whole which dissapointed me but the referee was spot on just a couple of 50/50 that could have gone the other way thats all but overall a good match

match ratings

man utd-6/10-gave a brave shot a barca but werent good enough in all areas all night but if they scored in they first 10 mins it could have been very different

official 10/10- thats the kind of referee that should be taking care of finals not the one at stamford bridge

barca-10/10-everything they done was perfect thats how football is meant to be played and was played worthy champions europe

man of the match- andrius inestia

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts

I'm a Real Madrid supporter, but I wanted Barcelona to win. Good to see a Spanish club as the champion.

I know Real Madrid & Barca are rivals, but I'm not that hardcore of a soccer fan so:P

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Any excuse for fireworks is cool with me :D My bandwagon brother came over to see it, it was worth missing the Dodger game to see him complain about his team Man U :lol:
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#14 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

Good that a team from La Liga win this thing. But its easy to say that because I hate Man U

neseri12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 neseri12
Member since 2009 • 207 Posts

barca 4 life man.

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BaraChat

but the only downside it was puyol and his diving i know this happens all the time but he was the only man on the park that dved the whole which dissapointed me but the referee was spot on just a couple of 50/50 that could have gone the other way thats all but overall a good match

match ratings

man utd-6/10-gave a brave shot a barca but werent good enough in all areas all night but if they scored in they first 10 mins it could have been very different

official 10/10- thats the kind of referee that should be taking care of finals not the one at stamford bridge

barca-10/10-everything they done was perfect thats how football is meant to be played and was played worthy champions europe

man of the match- andrius inestia

kiddoom93

Yep I didn't like how Puyol acted near the end, as much as I love Barça. I thought it was pointless.

The referee did a great job overall, I agree with you. Not once during the game have I had something wrong to say about him.

Man U played a lousy game, I've seen them play way better than that, and Ronaldo was playing like crap the whole game... So were Man U defenders. But what's the points of going with 4 forwards at one point? Tevez, Rooney, Park, Ronaldo at the same time? Dumb move by Ferguson.

iliastse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 iliastse
Member since 2004 • 22686 Posts

I'll take things from the end :

The referee has just blown the final whistle. Seconds later my cell phone rings, it was my old man Robert from Liverpool. Prior to the game he was so nervous, because he didn't want to see Paisley's record getting equalized, neither seeing ManUtd winning CL by any means. His first words ? "Ilias... There is God" ... Tiny detail, Robert doesn't do religion (his only words about religion since I met him about 4 years ago). "You **** old man, you 're a believer now HAH " were my exact words

Now to the match. ManUtd... correction... Ronaldo started the match better than anyone else, he had that good early free kick getting parried, then he tried a couple of shots from long distance that went off target. And just when everythinhg showed that the Reds were taking the game into their hands, Barca makes a semi-counter attack, Eto'o sends Vidic for breakfast (Vidic is still searching on which way to go) and 1-0, end of the match. The goal was important but not critical for the fate of the match.

But Ferguson didn't know what to do... Come out and play and make space for Barca or play it tight in the midfield and have patience in their game ? Well they selected option number 2, and that's why they had ball possession until 30' without missing any serious chance though. After 30' Barca got ball possession again but they were so careful on their passes, they didn't want to risk their goal advantage. And so the 1st half ended.

There must have been some talking in the dressing rooms, because Barca completely crushed ManUtd in the 1st 10mins of the 2nd half And honestly I expected to see ManUtd trying to gear up the pressure in the 2nd half.But Guardiola's guys simply dominated the 2nd half, 2-0 was a matter of time. ManUtd's only serious chance w2as just after Messi's header, with Giggs' shot getting blocked and Valdez beating Ronaldo. And of course, ManUtd showed their nasty face in the end, going hard on Barca players with their hard, sometimes unprofessional tackles. Needless to say, Ronaldo provided another unforgettable display for me

I really can't find a Barca player that didn't play well. Xavi and Iniesta were simply superb, while Puyol played way better than D.Alves had played in the recent matches. To my eyes, it was like watching Spain in Euro 2008, in a bit more improved version.

The way I see it, ManUtd didn't face a single serious Champions League team on the way to Rome (sorry Arsenal fans), while Barca had to sweat big time against Chelsea, who had already been sweating in the quarters against Liverpool. Football justice (if there is one) has been served.

The Champions League curse is still alive...

yentar480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yentar480
Member since 2007 • 5066 Posts
Vidic and Ferdinand were absent in this game. Barca had free reign in the final third. Busquets and the make shift back 4 for Barca played incredible.
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BaraChat

Well, GS Sports Games Discussion forums has some future football analysts. ;)

Seriously, I'm happy there were some people that didn't go for the simple "BARCA 4 LIFE" or "MAN U SUCKS" or "RONALDO ROCKS" and actually dissected the game, some aspects, at the very least.

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

Well, GS Sports Games Discussion forums has some future football analysts. ;)

Seriously, I'm happy there were some people that didn't go for the simple "BARCA 4 LIFE" or "MAN U SUCKS" or "RONALDO ROCKS" and actually dissected the game, some aspects, at the very least.

BaraChat

I probably would have after the game because I was a little intoxcated:D but didn't have internet that day. As a Barca fan I was a bit nervous before the game because of the injuries and suspensions, but the backline played wonderfully. Pique is turning into a world class defender, and I bet it eats SAF up considering his 2 central defenders played poorly in the game and he let Pique get away last summer. I was extremely happy to see Messi score with a header, his weakest attribute, and what a header it was. That first goal changed everything and allowed Barca to impose their style of play full force on Man U. Pep has a chance at becoming one of the all time great managers if he can keep this up.