Pudge Rodziguez Is A Yankee

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Well I guess they're going for it

With Jorge out for the season they need another catcher and wow did they get one.

They got Pudge for Farnsworth

Knowledge is power!

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts

wow dude thanks for the news i had no clue about this.

Big move seeing Posada out for the year cuza sergery.

i cant wait to see what else happens in these next few hours

msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
Wow, I didn't think Detroit would be sellers. They're 5.5 out? Meh, that''s borderline I guess. They could be both buyers and sellers.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jaysonguy

wow dude thanks for the news i had no clue about this.

ChiSoxBombers

Yeah, I knew the Marlins were looking at Pudge and that the Yankees wanted someone to pair with Molina but I'm a little surprised they went for a first class catcher.

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NetYankEagle
Member since 2007 • 11090 Posts
Brian Cashman makes Theo looks like a fool once again!(untill october comes and yankees decide to joke)
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
oh man that's crazy, pudge is gonna fit right in with them
sullivan352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sullivan352
Member since 2008 • 501 Posts
I didnt see this coming at all. Well atleast he will add a bat better than what Molina was giving.
Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts

i dont understand why teams continue to help the yankees get better

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NetYankEagle
I didnt see this coming at all. Well atleast he will add a bat better than what Molina was giving.sullivan352
you mena Chad Moueller thank god he is gone i think.
ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChiSoxBombers

i dont understand why teams continue to help the yankees get better

BeanTownBrown86

Im not sure they're purposely doing it, teams have their own needs. However, i question Detroit's motives on this one. How did this help you detroit? The only catcher on their roster now is Brandon inge. BRANDON INGE. Yeah, the guy who nearly broke his arm lifting a pillow a month ago. He may be one of the worst hitters in baseball today. I hope to christ d-town has a plan to combat this, cuz i sure as hell dont want inge as my everyday starter.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Cashman steals another one. :D
Avatar image for ThePostalWorker
ThePostalWorker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ThePostalWorker
Member since 2006 • 839 Posts
You guys are missing the point of this deal. The fact the Yankees got Pudge doesn't matter, getting rid of Farnsworth is what will help them make a playoff run. (just kidding, farnsworth has actually been pitching pretty good)
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
All I can say is WOW.
xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
man the yankees are stacked but they still havent won a ws in awhile. there will be a day where they will look for talent in there minors and they wont find anything. money doesnt always mean championship. they still have to beat the red sox and the rays because i doubt they will get the wc.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#15 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
Its a good pickup but I don't think anyone in the AL can top the Angels now.
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 msjr78
So Farnsworth is going back to Detroit. My fondest memory of Kyle Farnsworth: Back in '03, the Cubs were in Cincinnati and Reds pitcher Paul Wilson stepped out of the box after an inside pitch. He came toward Farnsworth and Farnsworth gave him a Goldberg Spear right into the ground. He took him down like an NFL linebacker. Then proceeded pummel him thusly:
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 msjr78
man the yankees are stacked but they still havent won a ws in awhile. there will be a day where they will look for talent in there minors and they wont find anything. money doesnt always mean championship. they still have to beat the red sox and the rays because i doubt they will get the wc.xbox360isgr8t
It doesn't matter if their farm system is weak. The Yanks will always have the backing funds to buy whichever players they want.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts
This move doesn't make any sense. Rodriguez is washed up as a hitter. He's now nothing more than a singles hitter who doesn't know how to work the count (he's never been able to do that). Plus, at this stage in his career, he's a definite downgrade defensively compared to Molina.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Master_Live

man the yankees are stacked but they still havent won a ws in awhile.there will be a day where they will look for talent in there minors and they wont find anything. money doesnt always mean championship. they still have to beat the red sox and the rays because i doubt they will get the wc.xbox360isgr8t

And what is your problem? The Cubs haven't won anything in nearly a century and you are talking crap about the Yanks? And wtf are you talking about our minor league system? This trade did nothing to our farm system, and we gave pretty much crap for Nady and Marte in Pittsburgh.

msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 msjr78
This move doesn't make any sense. Rodriguez is washed up as a hitter. He's now nothing more than a singles hitter who doesn't know how to work the count (he's never been able to do that). Plus, at this stage in his career, he's a definite downgrade defensively compared to Molina.Oleg_Huzwog
But he's a "NAME". Pudge Rodriquez is a Yankee. It's a striking headline when you first see that. I'm sure the Red Sox and Rays took notice. I think there's something to be said about "statement" moves like this. And maybe he sees a bit of a resurrection of his skills with a change of scenery. But geez, who would have thought this would happen considering the moves the Tigers made last off season.
darkodonnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darkodonnie
Member since 2007 • 2384 Posts

this is another very good deal for the Yankees

if we can get a reliable 4th starter we should have all the pieces needed to win some games in the playoffs

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
They still haven't adressed starting pitching. You can't expect 45 year-olds like Petitte and Mussina to keep up their current numbers over the course of a long and strenuous season. Besides, it's not like anything any team in the AL does will make them better than the Angels.
ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ChiSoxBombers

This move doesn't make any sense. Rodriguez is washed up as a hitter. He's now nothing more than a singles hitter who doesn't know how to work the count (he's never been able to do that). Plus, at this stage in his career, he's a definite downgrade defensively compared to Molina.Oleg_Huzwog

It does make sense because the Yankees need a big name guy at catcher since Posada's out and "Jose Molina" just doesnt cut it, not having to mention that he has two more accomplished brother catchers. Pudge is a star, and thats what the Yankees shoot for...the stars. (

rootcactus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 rootcactus
Member since 2004 • 2899 Posts

I agree. I can deal with Molina's offense if he can provide great defense. So the yankees got worse defensively at catcher and the bullpen got worse. The offensive production from the catcher position might have gotten better, but I'm not sure if it was really needed. The bullpen was a strength which is something a lot of teams can't say. The bullpen is still okay, but now other guys are going to see an increased workload. The only way this trade to me becomes a good one is if Brian Bruney comes back to the bullpen and throws like he was at the beginning of the year. Right now he is pitching in AAA, so hopefully he comes back up soon.

msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 msjr78
They still haven't adressed starting pitching. You can't expect 45 year-olds like Petitte and Mussina to keep up their current numbers over the course of a long and strenuous season. Besides, it's not like anything any team in the AL does will make them better than the Angels.UssjTrunks
Well there really isn't much out there. Weren't they talking about Jarrod Wasburn?
NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NetYankEagle

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]This move doesn't make any sense. Rodriguez is washed up as a hitter. He's now nothing more than a singles hitter who doesn't know how to work the count (he's never been able to do that). Plus, at this stage in his career, he's a definite downgrade defensively compared to Molina.rootcactus

I agree. I can deal with Molina's offense if he can provide great defense. So the yankees got worse defensively at catcher and the bullpen got worse. The offensive production from the catcher position might have gotten better, but I'm not sure if it was really needed. The bullpen was a strength which is something a lot of teams can't say. The bullpen is still okay, but now other guys are going to see an increased workload. The only way this trade to me becomes a good one is if Brian Bruney comes back to the bullpen and throws like he was at the beginning of the year. Right now he is pitching in AAA, so hopefully he comes back up soon.

Ummm Jose Molinas backup was Chad Moeller(sp) so i dont know wtf your talking about. THis trade makes perfect sense
mvphalo8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 mvphalo8
Member since 2005 • 10748 Posts

Looks like the Tigers are addressing their bullpen help.

As for their catching, Inge will get his wish and play everyday.

Avatar image for ThePostalWorker
ThePostalWorker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ThePostalWorker
Member since 2006 • 839 Posts

[QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]They still haven't adressed starting pitching. You can't expect 45 year-olds like Petitte and Mussina to keep up their current numbers over the course of a long and strenuous season. Besides, it's not like anything any team in the AL does will make them better than the Angels.msjr78
Well there really isn't much out there. Weren't they talking about Jarrod Wasburn?

I want AJ Burnett, but it's gonna be kinda tough to make that trade.

manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts

man the yankees are stacked but they still havent won a ws in awhile. there will be a day where they will look for talent in there minors and they wont find anything. money doesnt always mean championship. they still have to beat the red sox and the rays because i doubt they will get the wc.xbox360isgr8t

What are you talking about? They didn't give up any prospects here. Actually if you look, they haven't been giving up prospects for awhile. They actually have a ok farm system right now.

I think the Yankees are pretty well positioned right now. Their bats are always good. Giambi, Jeter, Matsui, Cano, Abreu and of course A-rod. That lineup won't start declining at least for the next few years. All of them are in their 30s but hitters in baseball have a lot more years left usually. Giambi is the only one who may start declining soon. Then in the rotation you have two ace quality pitchers in Wang and Chamberlain, both of whom are young. Pettite and Mussina are old, but for this year, when Hughes and Wang comes back, that's a great rotation. Phil Hughes was a no.1 prospect last year. He'll be fine. They have an A level pitcher in the minors. The Yankees are fine now and for the future.

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NetYankEagle

[QUOTE="msjr78"][QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]They still haven't adressed starting pitching. You can't expect 45 year-olds like Petitte and Mussina to keep up their current numbers over the course of a long and strenuous season. Besides, it's not like anything any team in the AL does will make them better than the Angels.ThePostalWorker

not with the Jays Smart GM(sarcasm)
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
As a Yankee fan I'm very happy with moves made, I will miss Farnsworth though he was really coming around. I hope he does well in Detroit, but I'm fearful for the back end of our rotation. Rasner is garbage and Ponson is nothing special. The Yankees need starting pitching. Now.
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts

They still haven't adressed starting pitching. You can't expect 45 year-olds like Petitte and Mussina to keep up their current numbers over the course of a long and strenuous season. Besides, it's not like anything any team in the AL does will make them better than the Angels.UssjTrunks

That "long and strenous season" is more than 2/3 of the way over and they've held up just fine. Neither are power pitchers and at 37-38, they aren't even that old for non-power pitchers.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Master_Live

[QUOTE="xbox360isgr8t"]man the yankees are stacked but they still havent won a ws in awhile. there will be a day where they will look for talent in there minors and they wont find anything. money doesnt always mean championship. they still have to beat the red sox and the rays because i doubt they will get the wc.manningbowl135

What are you talking about? They didn't give up any prospects here. Actually if you look, they haven't been giving up prospects for awhile. They actually have a ok farm system right now.

I think the Yankees are pretty well positioned right now. Their bats are always good. Giambi, Jeter, Matsui, Cano, Abreu and of course A-rod. That lineup won't start declining at least for the next few years. All of them are in their 30s but hitters in baseball have a lot more years left usually. Giambi is the only one who may start declining soon. Then in the rotation you have two ace quality pitchers in Wang and Chamberlain, both of whom are young. Pettite and Mussina are old, but for this year, when Hughes and Wang comes back, that's a great rotation. Phil Hughes was a no.1 prospect last year. He'll be fine. They have an A level pitcher in the minors. The Yankees are fine now and for the future.

Yeah, is looking good. This year we get Giambi, Mussina, Pettite, Pavano and Abreu of the books. We could make a run at Teixeira also Sabathia, Sheets and perhaps Burnett are gona be targets in the offseason. If we get Teixeira then we let Abreu go, keep Nady at RF, Damon/Matsui at left and whoever doesn't field is the DH. A rotation of let say: Wang, _________ insert FA name, Chamberlain, Pettite or Mussina and Hughes/Kennedy looks good too.

kingrich06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

#36 kingrich06
Member since 2006 • 5403 Posts
People dont realize this was also actually a cost cutting move for the Yankees. Farnsworth (as a setup guy) was getting closer money. Posada's insurance pays for Pudge's remaining salary. In the end they made room in the bullpen and upgraded thier Catcher's position.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
[QUOTE="ThePostalWorker"]

[QUOTE="msjr78"][QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]They still haven't adressed starting pitching. You can't expect 45 year-olds like Petitte and Mussina to keep up their current numbers over the course of a long and strenuous season. Besides, it's not like anything any team in the AL does will make them better than the Angels.NetYankEagle

not with the Jays Smart GM(sarcasm)

More like he's not going to accept some half-ass package like the Pirates did. He is an awful GM though, I will give you that, can't say he didn't try though.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Oleg_Huzwog
Ummm Jose Molinas backup was Chad Moeller(sp) so i dont know wtf your talking about. THis trade makes perfect senseNetYankEagle

Who cares who the backup was? How is that relevant? It doesn't change the simple fact that bumping Molina down to a backup role to make room for Rodriguez worsens the team defensively.

mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#39 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts
Nice steal for the Yankees.
NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NetYankEagle
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"]Ummm Jose Molinas backup was Chad Moeller(sp) so i dont know wtf your talking about. THis trade makes perfect senseOleg_Huzwog

Who cares who the backup was? How is that relevant? It doesn't change the simple fact that bumping Molina down to a backup role to make room for Rodriguez worsens the team defensively.

and if you had chad moeller in the game it makes the yankees better then pudge? obviosuly not.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Oleg_Huzwog
and if you had chad moeller in the game it makes the yankees better then pudge? obviosuly not.NetYankEagle

Wrong question, dude. If you had Rodriguez in the game at the cost of Molina AND a weakened bullpen, is the team better?

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

I think the Yankees getting pudge was good, but there's a reason why Detroit didn't have him as the every day catcher. He's pretty much what they have in Molina right now---good arm, but bad offense.

rootcactus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rootcactus
Member since 2004 • 2899 Posts
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"]and if you had chad moeller in the game it makes the yankees better then pudge? obviosuly not.Oleg_Huzwog

Wrong question, dude. If you had Rodriguez in the game at the cost of Molina AND a weakened bullpen, is the team better?

Thank you Oleg, that was the point I was trying to make.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"]and if you had chad moeller in the game it makes the yankees better then pudge? obviosuly not.Oleg_Huzwog

No, this is how it breaks down...

Molina - 8 at bats, 3 hits, 2 RBI

Pudge - 153 at bats, 39 hits, 25 RBI

This isn't for who is the better one for the season, it's getting someone that you can count on in the postseason

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DA_B0MB

The Yankees wouldn't have traded Farnsworth if they knew they wouldn't be able to handle without him. The Yankees have a great bullpen and besides Brian Bruney is coming back and all the callups recently have been getting the job done. The trade was very good for the Yankees. Now they have a gold glove catcher that can hit.

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DA_B0MB
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"][QUOTE="NetYankEagle"]and if you had chad moeller in the game it makes the yankees better then pudge? obviosuly not.Jaysonguy

This isn't for who is the better one for the season, it's getting someone that you can count on in the postseason

You hit the nail on the head. Who do you want in the bottom of the ninth, down by two, loaded bases, two outs as a catcher at the plate in game 7 of the ALCS? Jose Molina or Ivan Rodriguez? No brainer. Molina's bat was an obvious problem that was only going to show more in the playoffs. And Ivan Rodriguez isn't a slouch at stopping the running game either. Molina is incredible at stopping the run, but he's just not an everyday catcher.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Oleg_Huzwog

Jaysonguy

Huh? 39 for 153 comes out to a batting average of .255. That's 50 points lower than his regular season career average. How can you "count" on that?

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Oleg_Huzwog

Who do you want in the bottom of the ninth, down by two, loaded bases, two outs as a catcher at the plate in game 7 of the ALCS? Jose Molina or Ivan Rodriguez?DA_B0MB

Up to bat? Both would be replaced by a pinch-hitter in that situation.
In the field? Molina, no question.

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DA_B0MB

[QUOTE="DA_B0MB"]Who do you want in the bottom of the ninth, down by two, loaded bases, two outs as a catcher at the plate in game 7 of the ALCS? Jose Molina or Ivan Rodriguez?Oleg_Huzwog

Up to bat? Both would be replaced by a pinch-hitter in that situation.
In the field? Molina, no question.

Actually it depends on how Ivan hits as a Yankee. I see him hovering around .285 which is much better than Molina's .225 or so. There's some great things about having molina as a backup though. If it's extra innings he can come in and stop the running game completely. Ofcourse it depends on the situation but Molina is more useful as a solid backup. Molina is just not cutting it with his bat which is why the Yankees traded for Ivan Rodriguez in the first place.

InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 InterpolWilco
Member since 2005 • 2487 Posts

I have no problem parting ways with Kyle Farnsworth, who was clearly the weak part of the bullpen.

The Yankees have Marte, Rivera, Ramirez (he's REALLY flown under the radar), Veras, Giese and Robertson. Thats nothing to sneeze at.