MLB: Is Albert Pujols worth 300 million for 10 years?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2011/news/story?id=6127623

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Master_Live
I say less years at 30 mil.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

He won't be worth $30 mil when he's 40... but I'd say he's worth more than $30 mil now. That tradeoff evens things out, and a $300 mil / 10 yr deal is fair for the greatest hitter of all time.

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

He won't be worth $30 mil when he's 40... but I'd say he's worth more than $30 mil now. That tradeoff evens things out, and a $300 mil / 10 yr deal is fair for the greatest hitter of all time.

Oleg_Huzwog

Pretty much this. The problem isn't so much the 30 million per years, as it is the length of the (would-be) contract.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I think it's a pretty big risk considering he probably only has a few years left of his prime. If a team isn't the Yankees/Red Sox/etc that contract could turn out to be a really bad one down the line.
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts
I say less years at 30 mil.Master_Live
I'd go for that as well.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts

Oleg_Huzwog

Agreed. And what separated them was the money. What team will give him that after the year? Cards? Rangers, Cubs, or some dark horse team?

It will be interesting to see what a team will give him to get him out of St. Louis.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
Hes a machine, enough said.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#9 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

I think a 5 year $150 million deal should make Albert, the Cards, and the Union happy

Blu_Falcon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Blu_Falcon37
Member since 2006 • 4041 Posts

I think a 5 year $150 million deal should make Albert, the Cards, and the Union happy

Los9090

It wouldn't make Albert happy, he's pretty much been set on 10 years from the get go. I'm a Cardinals fan and I say that is way too long. I'd much rather have the Cardinals resign Carpenter and Wainwright, then try and chase Pujols.

HallowBastion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 HallowBastion
Member since 2004 • 9906 Posts
[QUOTE="Blu_Falcon37"]

[QUOTE="Los9090"]

It wouldn't make Albert happy, he's pretty much been set on 10 years from the get go. I'm a Cardinals fan and I say that is way too long. I'd much rather have the Cardinals resign Carpenter and Wainwright, then try and chase Pujols.

I'm not so much of a Cards fan, or know a ton about baseball, however, keeping the best player in the game on your team for 10 years, especially in the NL, makes you a contender every year, especially since Albert IS the Cardinals. Why St. Louis is not giving him 10 years (with team/player options after so many years for an out) for 300 mill is beyond me.
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

Definetly worth more than $30 million a year. He's one of the game's best players of all time. He has a career batting average of .331 along with some unbelievable stats that he has put up in a 10 year career.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Master_Live
Now I hope the Cards lose him, it seems the problem isn't the year but the money, as in THEY DIDN'T OFFER HIM TOP 5 MONEY. As in, he would be the NUMBER 6 BEST PAID player in the game. WOW. Bring on the Cubs.
oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

If Yankees cant make to Playoff this year, he's going to have a big shot for this 10 years 300M contract.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Yes, of course i'd try to take a little off but yah i would give him a better deal than A-Rod. Of course this is from a fantasy Dodger owner perspective, for the Cards it might not be a wise move.
for the greatest hitter of all time.Oleg_Huzwog
I'd back up that truck just a little bit.
CADMAN_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#16 CADMAN_3
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

Here's the thing. How much do the Cards make with ticket sales and money from Pujols jerseys? How much money would the lose if they don't sign him. He is the Cards, they would stand to lose a lot of money if Pujols goes to another team and the other team would stand to make a lot of money off of signing him. Give him the 10 years keep him as a Card and if he doesn't last you give him another job with the team. Everyone stays happy and the fans keep coming.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
He's certainly worth that much NOW, but if I were managing a team I'd be a bit hesitate to lock myself into a 10 year contract.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"] for the greatest hitter of all time.X360PS3AMD05

I wouldn't. You have to go back to the time when baseball was whites-only to find numbers remotely comparable to his.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JohnBean42

If Yankees cant make to Playoff this year, he's going to have a big shot for this 10 years 300M contract.

oajlu

If you're implying if he'll go to NY, I don't Yankees won't get him. They might poke their nose is and ask, but having 2 players over 200 mil. on the payroll? Then there's Teixeira contract...and where would he play? DH? Shame to have such a good defensive player DHing. They'll focus more of their time on a pitch if C.C is there or not.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Master_Live

[QUOTE="oajlu"]

JohnBean42

If you're implying if he'll go to NY, I don't Yankees won't get him. They might poke their nose is and ask, but having 2 players over 200 mil. on the payroll? Then there's Teixeira contract...and where would he play? DH? Shame to have such a good defensive player DHing. They'll focus more of their time on a pitch if C.C is there or not.

They can, and might.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JohnBean42

[QUOTE="JohnBean42"]

[QUOTE="oajlu"]

Master_Live

They can, and might.

Two players on the payroll over 200 mil is a lot even for the Yankees, plus he's not exactly needed like a pitcher. I'm sure they'd rather spend half that money on a pitcher, and they might need to if C.C ops out and they need to resign him for over $170 mil.

I know they can, and I said they'll inquire. But they certainly aren't the favorites. Cubs, Angles, Jays and Nats are probably more likely to push for him than the Yankees from what I've read. But their the Yanks...I expect them to be involved.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 X360PS3AMD05

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"] for the greatest hitter of all time.Oleg_Huzwog

I wouldn't. You have to go back to the time when baseball was whites-only to find numbers remotely comparable to his.

What about the last decade? Bonds, A-Rod and Mcguire? Last year, Votto and Hamilton.
xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
in a cubs uniform? hell yes cant wait for it to happen too
Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Major_Snake
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

In today's game... I wouldn't be surprised if he has been 'juicing' at some point. But I really doubt it. But then again, that's what I thought with A-Rod.

Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts
in a cubs uniform? hell yes cant wait for it to happen tooxbox360isgr8t
Then go to sleep, because it's only going to happen in your dreams. It's pretty clear Albert Pujols is going to be a Redsox.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JohnBean42
[QUOTE="xbox360isgr8t"]in a cubs uniform? hell yes cant wait for it to happen tooNo_Hablo_Ingles
Then go to sleep, because it's only going to happen in your dreams. It's pretty clear Albert Pujols is going to be a Redsox.

And where is he going to play on the Red Sox? First is taken, 3rd is taken, DH is taken unless you let go of Ortiz, but I doubt he wants to DH. The only teams in that division with a first base only option is Toronto and Tampa, and Toronto has the money. He has a much better chance of going to the Cubs. They got some big contracts coming off the books, and have a first base opening. I think he stays in STL though.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="xbox360isgr8t"]in a cubs uniform? hell yes cant wait for it to happen tooJohnBean42

And where is he going to play on the Red Sox? First is taken, 3rd is taken, DH is taken unless you let go of Ortiz, but I doubt he wants to DH. The only teams in that division with a first base only option is Toronto and Tampa, and Toronto has the money. He has a much better chance of going to the Cubs. They got some big contracts coming off the books, and have a first base opening. I think he stays in STL though.

Ortiz is a free agent after this year...
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JohnBean42
[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="JohnBean42"][QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"] Then go to sleep, because it's only going to happen in your dreams. It's pretty clear Albert Pujols is going to be a Redsox.

That's what I mean't by "let go of Ortiz"...
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 No_Hablo_Ingles

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="JohnBean42"] And where is he going to play on the Red Sox? First is taken, 3rd is taken, DH is taken unless you let go of Ortiz, but I doubt he wants to DH. The only teams in that division with a first base only option is Toronto and Tampa, and Toronto has the money. He has a much better chance of going to the Cubs. They got some big contracts coming off the books, and have a first base opening. I think he stays in STL though.JohnBean42

The 30 million is covered by Jason Bay and David Ortiz coming off the books... So yeah, it's possible :D

qwertywater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 qwertywater
Member since 2010 • 276 Posts

Pujols has played the OF before, maybe he'll do it again for a big market team such as the Yankees or Red Sox.

That being said, I still think he stays in St. Louis or goes to the Cubs.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JohnBean42

[QUOTE="JohnBean42"][QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"]Ortiz is a free agent after this year...No_Hablo_Ingles

The 30 million is covered by Jason Bay and David Ortiz coming off the books... So yeah, it's possible :D

But does he really want to play DH? If it comes down to a place to win AND play first or a place he can win and play DH...he'll take the 1B. Oh, and you still have to sign Gonzalaz to a contract (probably way over 100 mil), and you wouldn't get rid of him. And Buchholz. I just don't think there is a spot. But like NY..their the Red Sox, I expect them to be there. Not a lot of people think they'll really be interested though, but they'll ask. Yankees said they won't chase Pujols...I expect that will change. But there's just no room.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JohnBean42

Pujols has played the OF before, maybe he'll do it again for a big market team such as the Yankees or Red Sox.

That being said, I still think he stays in St. Louis or goes to the Cubs.

qwertywater
For a very, very short time. He also played 2B and SS (for 3 innings each), so he can fill in for Jeter I guess. He's a 1B...that's his first choice. If there is a great deal on the table, and includes full time 1B..he'll take that over benig a full time DH on the Yanks or Sox IMO.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 No_Hablo_Ingles
Why would he, if he signed as a redsox, have to play DH? There are plenty of people to move around Gonzalaz could even play DH. Also the Redsox have far to many left handed, so a righty in Pujols could balance out the lineup a bit.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 X360PS3AMD05
The Yanks will need pitching, it's like Dodger fans who cried for Cliff Lee when we need hitting not pitching.
Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

He is worth it but it seems the problem is that no team can afford it

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 X360PS3AMD05
[QUOTE="xbox360isgr8t"]in a cubs uniform? hell yes cant wait for it to happen tooNo_Hablo_Ingles

:lol: Nowhere to play and double :lol: Because the Sox don't go over the Luxury Tax line of $170Mil, reminds me of people who dream up cute trades that have no chance of happening.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 No_Hablo_Ingles

[QUOTE="No_Hablo_Ingles"][QUOTE="xbox360isgr8t"]in a cubs uniform? hell yes cant wait for it to happen tooX360PS3AMD05

:lol: Nowhere to play and double :lol: Because the Sox don't go over the Luxury Tax line of $170Mil, reminds me of people who dream up cute trades that have no chance of happening.

-____-

Disagree

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts

Its deals like these that **** up teams for the long term. If something goes wrong you are not going to be able to trade him with that kind of deal in place, and most likely he will not be worth 30 million in his 8th, 9th, and 10th seasons. But hey, I guess professional sports like Lock-Outs. He is worth the money now for sure, but that deal is way too long.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"] I'd back up that truck just a little bit.X360PS3AMD05

What about the last decade? Bonds, A-Rod and Mcguire? Last year, Votto and Hamilton.

What about them?

Pujols - career .331 AVG, .426 OBP, .624 SLG
Bonds - .298, .444, .607
Rodriguez - .303, .387, .571
McGwire - .263, .394, .588

It's not even close.

Votto and Hamilton have only been in the league for a few years, so aren't even worth consideration in any "of all time" discussion.

ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts

Sox won't go after him... they have the building blocks for a perrenial championship contender set in place already, there's no need to go and spend that kind of money. Especially after getting Gonzalez and Crawford. They're going to focus on beefing up their pitching in the future years, especially with question marks looming on Beckett and Dice K, and grooming their younger prospects (Iglesias, Kalish, Reddick, etc.) for the teams of the future.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
in a cubs uniform? hell yes cant wait for it to happen tooxbox360isgr8t
Michael Wilbon: Cubs have to get Pujols
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JohnBean42

Sox won't go after him... they have the building blocks for a perrenial championship contender set in place already, there's no need to go and spend that kind of money. Especially after getting Gonzalez and Crawford. They're going to focus on beefing up their pitching in the future years, especially with question marks looming on Beckett and Dice K, and grooming their younger prospects (Iglesias, Kalish, Reddick, etc.) for the teams of the future.

ethanpaige
Exactly. Plus, you have to sign guys you already have (AGon, Buchholz, maybe Ellsbury), to contracts, and AGon will get a lot, and Buchholz will get a big increase in pay. But...they're Boston, so like I said, they'll look and see.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 X360PS3AMD05
What about them?Pujols - career .331 AVG, .426 OBP, .624 SLGBonds - .298, .444, .607Rodriguez - .303, .387, .571McGwire - .263, .394, .588 It's not even close.Votto and Hamilton have only been in the league for a few years, so aren't even worth consideration in any "of all time" discussionOleg_Huzwog
Well i used Fangraphs and they were ahead in ISO, WAR, OPS and obviously HR going back to 1990, then i also heard on a blog that Honus Wagner and Willie Mays actually led MLB in WAR for more consecutive years than Pujols did. Without bothering to look up the Babe, Mantle, Williams etc.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#44 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
[QUOTE="xbox360isgr8t"]in a cubs uniform? hell yes cant wait for it to happen tooDJ_Magneto
Michael Wilbon: Cubs have to get Pujols

Could be the savior the Cubs need.
ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnBean42"] Exactly. Plus, you have to sign guys you already have (AGon, Buchholz, maybe Ellsbury), to contracts, and AGon will get a lot, and Buchholz will get a big increase in pay. But...they're Boston, so like I said, they'll look and see.

Yeah, Bucholz deserves to be paid. Ellsbury will probably be offered a deal similar to the one Dusty took, multiple years without an overly large amount of money. If anything Boston would play the smokescreen game with Pujols
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
Hes a machine, enough said.Nick3306
Exactly. Just imagine how much all of those sophisticated components cost. Think the 6 million dollar man, now adjust for inflation.